6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Eriksen was objectively better than Bruno first half. Its not an opinion its fact.
Yeah, well, that's not what we are talking about. We aren't saying Bruno was better. We are saying his performance hasn't really justified him starting every week.

Lyng

Yeah, well, that's not what we are talking about. We aren't saying Bruno was better. We are saying his performance hasn't really justified him starting every week.
So who would you start instead?

NoLogo

I really don't understand how we decide to play him deep and Bruno as a 10 and not the other way around IF we chose to play with them as a deep playing midfielder and a playmaker. The obvious choice should be neither of them playing deep, they should be rotating.
Easy. Bruno is a liability too close to his own goal because he gives the ball away too easily, playing him as far up the field as possible is the best solution.

Walters_19_MuFc

Class first half. Played some terrific switched balls and got us into really good areas. Controlled the tempo.

In the second half, from an on-the-ball point of view, he didn't do much, which is why, along with other factors, we lost control of the game.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It's a bit of a necessity at the moment isn't it, if you move Eriksen further forward how do we build up the play.
It's not necessity, it's menager choice. Eriksen plays AM role different way to Bruno.
Bruno stays high up the pitch, almost in line with forwards. Eriksen in no10 role can still drop deeper to help with ball progression, but he is also allowed to go forward / drift to wings. Now his role is much more restricted because of Bruno being effectively 4th attacker. I don't know many teams that have 4 players focused strictly on attacking. And those which come to mind have a strong, defensively sound midfield. No make - shift players who "can do the job". In that sense our setup is quite unique.

With Casemiro we have multiple ways to build midfield, I am not sure if the best solution is to have both Bruno and Eriksen there. Actually I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

el3mel

Then please give an example of a lineup without a 10 then that would make us better. With player names.
De Gea
Varane - Martinez - Lindelof
Dalot - Casmeiro - Fred - Malacia
Sancho - Martial - Rashford

el3mel

where is the creativity in the offensive going to come from in that lineup?
The flanks. The wing backs and the wide forwards.

There are more ways to create chances than just getting the ball to a number 10 and letting him pass the ball.

Lyng

The flanks. The wing backs and the wide forwards.

There are more ways to create chances than just getting the ball to a number 10 and letting him pass the ball.
Rashford is really not a creator though. neither is Dalot or Malacia.

el3mel

Rashford is really not a creator though. neither is Dalot or Malacia.
Creating chances doesn't mean stopping on the ball and making key passes only. Running at defense and causing havoc can can create opportunities.

And if the opponent closes the flanks on us then we can throw Eriksen from the bench. See, we aren't saying he shouldn't be playing. We are saying he should be a squad option only and not a permanent starter.

Lyng

Creating chances doesn't mean stopping on the ball and making key passes only. Running at defense and causing havoc can can create opportunities.

And if the opponent closes the flanks on us then we can throw Eriksen from the bench. See, we aren't saying he shouldn't be playing. We are saying he should be a squad option only and not a permanent starter.
Its hard to prove that wouldnt work as we havent really tried that lineup, but I do have doubts. As long as we play with a 10, however, Eriksen should start ahead of Bruno.

El Jefe

Think some of you are being harsh, though he was our best player in the first half. The two issues are that he doesn't have much of an engine so once we are starved of the ball he can disappear from the game. The second is, while he's a good passer he's not really a dictator of the game but we are using him as that. It would help if our team was filled with technical players but it isn't.

I think he'll keep improving especially alongside Casemiro.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Then please give an example of a lineup without a 10 then that would make us better. With player names.
DDG
Back 4
Casemiro
Eriksen - - - - Fred
Eriksen doesn't need to play centrally to be effective. This setup gives us a lot more structure, and allows more freedom to wide midfielders to join attack (because there's always the second midfielder to cover coming inside) and fullbacks to overlap. Today Malacia was very conversative, if he has Fred to cover he would be allowed to bomb forward.

In this setup you actually have 5 players who can join the attack, while in our setup the midfield two pretty much stays back.

We play no10 because Bruno can't play any other role. He's also always fit and can play 90min back to back games.

Tragically Hip

If he is playing that deep, he should demand the ball more and control the game when we are struggling for possession. Otherwise, maybe he should spell Bruno for a game higher up the pitch.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
His stamina - or lack there of - is being highlighted as an issue because we are not controlling games and thus never resting. Being manic in both directions will be a surefire way to wreck the entire team - not just those with less stamina - sooner rather than later. Injuries will also be sure to pile up if we're going 100mph all game, so this isn't an Eriksen issue so much as it is a serious team issue that needs addressing ASAP before we're burned out.

We really need an extra ball-using midfielder in this squad, Eriksen alone is simply not enough. He goes down and we don't have a single ball-using midfielder from deep.

All this helter-skelter is important for us at the moment as it's a win by any means necessary scenario, but we need to get some culture about us or Eriksen (and Sancho) are really going to suffer before others follow suit.

Mmm-Qatarian

I'd say the main reason Eriksen looked overworked in the second half was because the forward line almost totally abandoned their defensive duties. It was almost like after we'd scored they decided their job was done and checked out. Ronaldo and Rashford in particular were massively disappointing.

Ash_G

His stamina - or lack there of - is being highlighted as an issue because we are not controlling games and thus never resting. Being manic in both directions will be a surefire way to wreck the entire team - not just those with less stamina - sooner rather than later. Injuries will also be sure to pile up if we're going 100mph all game, so this isn't an Eriksen issue so much as it is a serious team issue that needs addressing ASAP before we're burned out.

We really need an extra ball-using midfielder in this squad, Eriksen alone is simply not enough. He goes down and we don't have a single ball-using midfielder from deep.

All this helter-skelter is important for us at the moment as it's a win by any means necessary scenario, but we need to get some culture about us or Eriksen (and Sancho) are really going to suffer before others follow suit.
Definitely agree that the issue is more about the lack of control and that it's a wider issue that won't be good for us long term if we don't fix. I'm not sure though if the issue is more in the midfield vs the attack. Rashford, Elanga, Bruno and Ronaldo all just give the ball away so cheaply and I think it's hard to carry them over a season. Assuming there's no chance we'll get two top players (doubtful we'll even get one more a this stage!), I feel with Casemiro and Eriksen that another attacker who can hold on to the ball, whilst being more of a direct threat than Sancho, would serve us better than another midfielder.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Definitely agree that the issue is more about the lack of control and that it's a wider issue that won't be good for us long term if we don't fix. I'm not sure though if the issue is more in the midfield vs the attack. Rashford, Elanga, Bruno and Ronaldo all just give the ball away so cheaply and I think it's hard to carry them over a season. Assuming there's no chance we'll get two top players (doubtful we'll even get one more a this stage!), I feel with Casemiro and Eriksen that another attacker who can hold on to the ball, whilst being more of a direct threat than Sancho, would serve us better than another midfielder.
I'd say it's a collective issue, but Martial, as an exceptional hold-up, target man, is really, really vital for the attack and midfield as he allows them to find a player to whom the ball sticks that enables them to work in a more intelligent manner in a single direction instead of the haphazard mania we're seeing.

All that pinball is a killer for players who naturally have less stamina, so they'll always be the first to visibly flag. Having a conduit that allows for considered movements saves collective legs just that bit more, but obviously needs to be backed up by better usage of the ball.

We definitely need some quality to come in before the window closes for sure: Antony and a midfielder so that this balls to wall grafting all game reduces considerably.

Lyng

DDG
Back 4
Casemiro
Eriksen - - - - Fred
Eriksen doesn't need to play centrally to be effective. This setup gives us a lot more structure, and allows more freedom to wide midfielders to join attack (because there's always the second midfielder to cover coming inside) and fullbacks to overlap. Today Malacia was very conversative, if he has Fred to cover he would be allowed to bomb forward.

In this setup you actually have 5 players who can join the attack, while in our setup the midfield two pretty much stays back.

We play no10 because Bruno can't play any other role. He's also always fit and can play 90min back to back games.
Yeah I could see that working. My main argument with the other user was that he thought we didnt need Eriksen to be creative right now, and I disagreed.

KetilOwren88

Some people will never be satisfied. Home against the scousers he was the 3rd last player for both of the goals while almost scoring a screamer aswell. Today he could have had an assist with his left foot if Bruno went all in for the cross. His understanding of the game, vision and passing from deep was the best we have seen since Scholes/Carrick played there, and I focus on the potential instead of limitations. He gets knackered around the 60 minutes mark, but I expect that to improve during the season with more games in his belt. He is obviously weak in his pressing and suits a game where United dominate possession, but the fact Ten Hag played him against Liverpool suggests that he trust him also in that kind of games. He can’t play every minute of every game, but there is no way you can buy a complete new team in one year. People have been complaining about McFred for ages. With Eriksen going deep, we now got a manager who intends to attack. I am looking forward seeing him with Casemiro

Olecurls99

Some people will never be satisfied. Home against the scousers he was the 3rd last player for both of the goals while almost scoring a screamer aswell. Today he could have had an assist with his left foot if Bruno went all in for the cross. His understanding of the game, vision and passing from deep was the best we have seen since Scholes/Carrick played there, and I focus on the potential instead of limitations. He gets knackered around the 60 minutes mark, but I expect that to improve during the season with more games in his belt. He is obviously weak in his pressing and suits a game where United dominate possession, but the fact Ten Hag played him against Liverpool suggests that he trust him also in that kind of games. He can’t play every minute of every game, but there is no way you can buy a complete new team in one year. People have been complaining about McFred for ages. With Eriksen going deep, we now got a manager who intends to attack. I am looking forward seeing him with Casemiro
Well said

wangyu

Good start at united. Very tidy and comfortable on the ball, always ready to receive, he is also very mobile. Keeps the play ticking. Best midfield player we had since Carrick.

Olecurls99

Good start at united. Very tidy and comfortable on the ball, always ready to receive, he is also very mobile. Keeps the play ticking. Best midfield player we had since Carrick.
Can't wait to see him in there with Casemiro

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
He is so clearly the new Carrick. The brain of the team, but not being constantly spectacular and not totally getting full support of the fans.

Lights Out

Thought he was great in the first half but faded badly in the second.

Should have buried that chance.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He has never been an exceptionally physical or pacy player.
What he brings to the table is that we are able to keep the ball much better coupled with his fantastic long range passing skills which none of our other players seems to have. The arrival of Casemiro will give him better protection and should bring out his positive attributes even more.

jesperjaap

Agree with that. I think the stamina issue though isnt somethign he will improve on over the season as others mention. I dont think he is a pressing player really or a big player off the ball and I think at his age and the number of games this season, we cant really expect him to be playing where he is week in week out, certainly not for 90mins.

That is my main issue and I am still personally of the opinion he holds more value as a deeper number 10 and competition to Bruno throughout the season. Not getting into a who is better debate etc etc etc....I still dont think we have the right option for a premiership season alongside Casemeiro though and still think not addressing that will be an error this transfer window as will appearign to not sign a centre forward if we do go for Antony regardless of the Ronaldo situation

Bestietom

I like him but sooner have him fill in for the bruno role. We need a more agressive player for the box to box midfield area imo. Laimer, or Savic would be nice.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Agree with that. I think the stamina issue though isnt somethign he will improve on over the season as others mention. I dont think he is a pressing player really or a big player off the ball and I think at his age and the number of games this season, we cant really expect him to be playing where he is week in week out, certainly not for 90mins.

That is my main issue and I am still personally of the opinion he holds more value as a deeper number 10 and competition to Bruno throughout the season. Not getting into a who is better debate etc etc etc....I still dont think we have the right option for a premiership season alongside Casemeiro though and still think not addressing that will be an error this transfer window as will appearign to not sign a centre forward if we do go for Antony regardless of the Ronaldo situation
Most likely it will improve a bit, but he'll never reach Bruno level surely.
Anyway, he's being played in midfield two in a very demanding role. Not only we have 4 players by default in attacking positions, but they also contribute very little defensively.
If we want to get the best of Eriksen and cover for his lack of fitness/stamina, we should play him in midfield three (either on the right side or as AM in front of 2).

This is obviously nothing new, just pointing out our team is still adjusted for Bruno, and Eriksen suffers because of that.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
When Eriksen was signed I advocated him taking Bruno’s role and penned him as such in all those assumed xi’s, but the problem for him in this team is that if he [Eriksen] is not in deep midfield, there is nobody who can reliably thread passes forward to accommodate Eriksen’s strengths in a considered, constructive build up. Further to that, a massive value to the team is Bruno’s tireless running and pressing as well as his capacity to then break forward should it be required. Eriksen cannot do any of that; he needs football to be played to come to life furthest forward in midfield.

It’s a pickle with our personnel because him being in deep midfield requires far greater levels of control from those ahead of him so the ball is not being contested again and again as invariably as it currently is.

If we don’t manage to bring in some technically able footballers Eriksen will be the one most likely to suffer for it, which would be unfortunate because he is one of very few players with any culture to his passing and retention of the ball.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Astonished, that you guys are complaining about his stamina.
The lad was one the guys running most for both spurs, Brentford and his national team.
He has flaws - especially when it comes to pressing deep, but his stamina has never been an issue

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Astonished, that you guys are complaining about his stamina.
The lad was one the guys running most for both spurs, Brentford and his national team.
He has flaws - especially when it comes to pressing deep, but his stamina has never been an issue
The difference here is the number of sprints and presses, which are far more demanding than perpetual movements at roundabouts the same pace.

Prodigal7

The way ETH wants the team to play you can guarantee this man will be one of the first names on the team sheet. Good news. His passing is much needed.

Matt851

I like him but sooner have him fill in for the bruno role. We need a more agressive player for the box to box midfield area imo. Laimer, or Savic would be nice.
Agree we need another player in that position but would rather hom start in am than bruno

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was excellent in the first half. The more players we have like Sancho and him the better we'll become at controlling games.

Status
Not open for further replies.