6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin99

Thought he was fantastic in the first half, i thought he'd be a contender for MOTM but just faded badly in the second half.

Got to say overall though he's been an excellent signing. 9 assists already.

BerryBerryShrew

Brilliant first half. Mediocre second. He seems to fade badly in the second halves of games but gives us so much while he is on.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Agree with everyone here, first half he was easily the best player on the pitch. When he is on it he is a delightful footballer to watch. No coincidence that the whole team faded badly when he ran out of steam.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
Plays 99% of his balls backwards or sidewards. Often seems like a wall players like to bounce to ball off. Makes one good run that ends up being an assist.
Not impressed.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Looked tired at the end of the game, pointing the weakness of our bench when we rely to much on some players.

The season is only halfway.

julianfr

While he does have a tendency to fade as the game goes on pretty much 80% of our team were trash in that 2nd half last night. So let's not push the blame onto Eriksen alone

OrcaFat

While he does have a tendency to fade as the game goes on pretty much 80% of our team were trash in that 2nd half last night. So let's not push the blame onto Eriksen alone
No. Definitely shouldn’t blame him. Problem is our game relies on him. It’s a lot to ask of him, too much probably. We need cover for him so he can be rested in games such as yesterday when we have a humdinger against Arsenal coming up. But also, we need cover off the bench so he can give it everything for an hour then sub off.

He’s great. We just need to help him.

zaafi

Plays 99% of his balls backwards or sidewards. Often seems like a wall players like to bounce to ball off. Makes one good run that ends up being an assist.
Not impressed.
That's cute. He makes 5.39 progressive passes per 90, which puts him in the 90th percentile for midfielders. For reference, Modric makes 5.91 progressive passes per 90.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not impressed.
Nonsense. He dictates games for us and progress the ball constantly and is so reliable with his passing.

bosnian_red

No. Definitely shouldn’t blame him. Problem is our game relies on him. It’s a lot to ask of him, too much probably. We need cover for him so he can be rested in games such as yesterday when we have a humdinger against Arsenal coming up. But also, we need cover off the bench so he can give it everything for an hour then sub off.

He’s great. We just need to help him.
I actually don't think we rely on him at all, but he does a very good job. We play well with Fred in for Eriksen too, he's more inconsistent and we lose some bits but gain in some bits. I think that's a pretty normal starter and a very good replacement level midfielder we have. The issue is other positions (like getting a 0 from our CF position on the season, barely anything going on at RW). But we've played well both with and without Eriksen, against small teams and against big teams (Spurs and City notably).

OrcaFat

I actually don't think we rely on him at all, but he does a very good job. We play well with Fred in for Eriksen too, he's more inconsistent and we lose some bits but gain in some bits. I think that's a pretty normal starter and a very good replacement level midfielder we have. The issue is other positions (like getting a 0 from our CF position on the season, barely anything going on at RW). But we've played well both with and without Eriksen, against small teams and against big teams (Spurs and City notably).
We’ll have to disagree there. You can make any logical argument you like but from what I’ve seen this season, Eriksen is the single biggest influence on the way we play and we just aren’t the same team without him. Casemiro is probably the guy who does most to stop us losing but Eriksen is the guy who does most to develop our play and create attacking openings.

bosnian_red

We’ll have to disagree there. You can make any logical argument you like but from what I’ve seen this season, Eriksen is the single biggest influence on the way we play and we just aren’t the same team without him. Casemiro is probably the guy who does most to stop us losing but Eriksen is the guy who does most to develop our play and create attacking openings.
I mean, he's been on the pitch most of the time so it's hard to say exactly how we'd play without him... But we battered Spurs and created plenty, and in the closing 20 minutes vs City we turned the game around and did really well once we subbed him off. Fred as a direct replacement for Eriksen really hasn't cause us any problems this season. It's different if it's McTominay partnering Fred of course, but leave all things the same and swap Fred for Eriksen and it's not a big deal for us (which would point to the issue being McTominay in for Casemiro, naturally).

OrcaFat

I mean, he's been on the pitch most of the time so it's hard to say exactly how we'd play without him... But we battered Spurs and created plenty, and in the closing 20 minutes vs City we turned the game around and did really well once we subbed him off. Fred as a direct replacement for Eriksen really hasn't cause us any problems this season. It's different if it's McTominay partnering Fred of course, but leave all things the same and swap Fred for Eriksen and it's not a big deal for us (which would point to the issue being McTominay in for Casemiro, naturally).
I personally think it is a big deal to swap Fred for Eriksen and I’m pretty sure Ten Hag does as well.

bosnian_red

I personally think it is a big deal to swap Fred for Eriksen and I’m pretty sure Ten Hag does as well.
Obviously you prefer to start your starter... but as Fred has shown in 2 big games.. He is more than capable. What do you expect from a squad player? The limited evidence of our play without Eriksen on the pitch has been pretty much fine. So until actual evidence of Fred struggling as Casemiro's partner starts showing it is a big issue, than I don't think it's fair to say we rely on Eriksen. Because saying that, would be a noticeable huge drop off whenever he wasn't on the pitch, instantly evident (as is the case with Varane, Casemiro, Rashford, Bruno). Eriksen not being on the pitch has a small impact but it's nowhere near as big as others, because Fred is a good player himself.

OrcaFat

Obviously you prefer to start your starter... but as Fred has shown in 2 big games.. He is more than capable. What do you expect from a squad player? The limited evidence of our play without Eriksen on the pitch has been pretty much fine. So until actual evidence of Fred struggling as Casemiro's partner starts showing it is a big issue, than I don't think it's fair to say we rely on Eriksen. Because saying that, would be a noticeable huge drop off whenever he wasn't on the pitch, instantly evident (as is the case with Varane, Casemiro, Rashford, Bruno). Eriksen not being on the pitch has a small impact but it's nowhere near as big as others, because Fred is a good player himself.
You’re making some great arguments, and it’s not that any of it is factually inaccurate, but I just don’t agree with essence of your point. Eriksen and Fred are completely different types. Fred is a useful squad player and I expect no more of him than he gives (he is what he is and can be proud) but we need someone who plays like Eriksen to play some of the minutes that Eriksen is currently having to play in a state of exhaustion.

As an aside, I like Fred in a 433 with Case and Eriksen. It leaves us with Bruno at RW but I think it can work against some of the better teams. But to admit we need both of them is also an indicator of the individual deficiencies of Fred and Eriksen. The reason why FDJ would be an attractive option (for many of us, at least) is that he can do Eriksen’s job without losing all the athleticism and stamina that Fred brings. Of course one guy can’t do the job of two but his profile would give us better balance if we’re playing 4231.

bosnian_red

You’re making some great arguments, and it’s not that any of it is factually inaccurate, but I just don’t agree with essence of your point. Eriksen and Fred are completely different types. Fred is a useful squad player and I expect no more of him than he gives (he is what he is and can be proud) but we need someone who plays like Eriksen to play some of the minutes that Eriksen is currently having to play in a state of exhaustion.

As an aside, I like Fred in a 433 with Case and Eriksen. It leaves us with Bruno at RW but I think it can work against some of the better teams. But to admit we need both of them is also an indicator of the individual deficiencies of Fred and Eriksen. The reason why FDJ would be an attractive option (for many of us, at least) is that he can do Eriksen’s job without losing all the athleticism and stamina that Fred brings. Of course one guy can’t do the job of two but his profile would give us better balance if we’re playing 4231.
Tbh I don't really get the impression that Eriksen is exhausted, he was class for the first hour yesterday but isn't necessarily a footballer these days who can play at the same level for the full game, every game. His fitness is good though, and generally a Fred for Eriksen sub on the hour is a very good sub whether we want Fred to see out a game as he can press and help our counters, or help claw a game back as again, he can press and provide a lot more energy for us. He had a good 2-3 week break during the world cup as Denmark dropped out at the group stage, so he seems fine to me.

Long term, yeah of course, need a deep playmaker who has energy and can be press resistant. Frenkie/Enzo are both dreams for the midfield to partner Casemiro, but we are still in a good state now at CM IMO. I agree in big games, it's what Ten hag did vs City and I think he'll do the same vs Arsenal. I do think that's more down to just playing the highest performing 11, in which case Bruno gets pushed a bit to the wing because we have no attackers who are performing well apart from Rashford. I don't think he makes those changes necessarily if Sancho or Antony were in great form for example.

OrcaFat

Tbh I don't really get the impression that Eriksen is exhausted, he was class for the first hour yesterday but isn't necessarily a footballer these days who can play at the same level for the full game, every game. His fitness is good though, and generally a Fred for Eriksen sub on the hour is a very good sub whether we want Fred to see out a game as he can press and help our counters, or help claw a game back as again, he can press and provide a lot more energy for us. He had a good 2-3 week break during the world cup as Denmark dropped out at the group stage, so he seems fine to me.

Long term, yeah of course, need a deep playmaker who has energy and can be press resistant. Frenkie/Enzo are both dreams for the midfield to partner Casemiro, but we are still in a good state now at CM IMO. I agree in big games, it's what Ten hag did vs City and I think he'll do the same vs Arsenal. I do think that's more down to just playing the highest performing 11, in which case Bruno gets pushed a bit to the wing because we have no attackers who are performing well apart from Rashford. I don't think he makes those changes necessarily if Sancho or Antony were in great form for example.
Yeah, to most of that.

But, to me, Eriksen starts to look tired after half time in most games. I’m not blaming him for it but I don’t like it. And yes, Fred for Eriksen at 60 mins is okay, if we’re winning. But what if we’re losing after 60 mins?

Top midfielders don’t grow on trees but I think we are light in that area. For now, hey, we do what we can with what we’ve got.

Marwood

Yeah we ultimately should be looking at a longer term replacement but it feels good to have grown ups playing in CM.

Eriksen has the kind of sensible game you need in that department. Ideally you'd want a bit more lf everything but you at least know he won't do anything silly, will mostly make the right decisions etc.

OrcaFat

Yeah we ultimately should be looking at a longer term replacement but it feels good to have grown ups playing in CM.

Eriksen has the kind of sensible game you need in that department. Ideally you'd want a bit more lf everything but you at least know he won't do anything silly, will mostly make the right decisions etc.
I think he’s absolutely brilliant. He seems to make the others play better as well.

Dan_F

It’s hard to look past how quickly he fades in games. It felt like he gave the ball away more than Bruno in the second half, which happens, but at the same time Bruno does take a lot of shit for that. He’s been a massive upgrade but you can see why Ten Hag also wanted De Jong.

Lyng

It’s hard to look past how quickly he fades in games. It felt like he gave the ball away more than Bruno in the second half, which happens, but at the same time Bruno does take a lot of shit for that. He’s been a massive upgrade but you can see why Ten Hag also wanted De Jong.
Put Bruno in the 8 spot and lets see what happens....

Godfather

It's hard to look past how dependent we are on him. Him fading in the second halves almost always leads us to lose a bit of control in midfield.

Lyng

That’s not his position, what’s your point?
That its also not Christians usual position. You said he gave the ball away more than Bruno. Our offense without Wout offered no help to the midfield and suddenly you have a huge pressure on our midfield. Eriksen isnt press resistant at all so thats what will happen.

Son

That's cute. He makes 5.39 progressive passes per 90, which puts him in the 90th percentile for midfielders. For reference, Modric makes 5.91 progressive passes per 90.
That poster would have said the same about Xavi and Iniesta at Barcelona. He’s had to tone his attacking outlet down which was needed in that deeper role.

Still has 9 assists too which is about as good as Pogba’s best season here. Eriksen isn’t even playing his natural position either.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not impressed.
:lol:

Dan_F

That its also not Christians usual position. You said he gave the ball away more than Bruno. Our offense without Wout offered no help to the midfield and suddenly you have a huge pressure on our midfield. Eriksen isnt press resistant at all so thats what will happen.
He seems to disagree with you about the position and he was clearly signed to play there this season. I don’t know what the stats were for losing position in the second half, but it felt like Eriksen’s pass completion was down in the second half. Obviously if your 8 is losing the ball more than your 10, you have a problem.

I understand your point about Weghorst, but it’s not like it’s the first time he’s faded this season and we’ve lost control of the midfield. It was happening before we signed Weghorst.

It’s not my intention to bash Eriksen, he’s been a massive upgrade this year and shown what a proper midfielder can do. Saying that De Jong would further improve us is not exactly a surprising opinion is it?

Lyng

He seems to disagree with you about the position and he was clearly signed to play there this season. I don’t know what the stats were for losing position in the second half, but it felt like Eriksen’s pass completion was down in the second half. Obviously if your 8 is losing the ball more than your 10, you have a problem.

I understand your point about Weghorst, but it’s not like it’s the first time he’s faded this season and we’ve lost control of the midfield. It was happening before we signed Weghorst.

It’s not my intention to bash Eriksen, he’s been a massive upgrade this year and shown what a proper midfielder can do. Saying that De Jong would further improve us is not exactly a surprising opinion is it?
No and I agree with you. But my point was Eriksen is a natural AM converted to play as a 8 for us, and that does give us issues when we lose Wout or Martial because Rashford doesnt help the midfield at all when under pressure.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He and Casemiro had to make themselves available for the build up far more.

Though I love Varane, you can't expect him to build up.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
we desperately need a younger better athlete. he’s a good player but in games where we don’t dominate he’s just too much of a passenger

Status
Not open for further replies.