6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfather

Thought he was decent first half but he simply doesn't have the engine to run for 90 mins which is a shame

G-manc

Doesn’t have the legs for the ‘big’ games for me when we won’t control possession so much.

Zico1982

Eriksen was playing when we beat Liverpool (very good), Arsenal (imperious), Tottenham (good cameo as a sub) and today against Manchester City. He also has the second highest assist total in the PL this season after KdB. Not bad for someone who is apparently past being able to play in the "Big Games". Eriksen played a brilliant first half today and a bad 26 minutes until he got subbed in the second. Someone analysed the why's of his decline a couple of posts back. I agree. The game changed with the substitution of Martial. Martial did not play well, but he understood the tactics and covered the right spaces, effectively helping the midfield to close down the dangerous passways and runs. Anthony could not do the same, and that allowed Cancelo to do almost what he wanted for a while, leaving Fred, Casemiro and Eriksen with way to much to do. That put Eriksen out of the game and destroyed the game plan that worked so well before the break. Now City dominated us instead. Thus the substitution Carnacho for the dane. Well done ETH!

Back to the real matter. We do need Eriksen, and we need him against pretty much every team we are facing this season. That is the main reason, why he looks so leggy. ETH seems to agree. Else he would'nt play him so much. Eriksen created chances for Bruno and a sitter for Rashford in the first half today, and almost repeated the free kick-routine with Casemiro. I really liked what I saw in the first 45 with Bruno, Rashford and Martial in front of Fred, Casemiro and Eriksen on 10. City did not know how to play through that formation, and Bruno/Eriksen are so good at setting up counterattacks.

We do need an alternative to Eriksen, and it should not only be a back up. De Jong would be perfect, being able to cover/play for both Eriksen or Casemiro when needed. Bruno, Fred (MotM for me today), De Jong, Eriksen, Casemiro and Scotty would secure fresh legs at all time.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Olecurls99

I think he’s been a pointless signing. Also very lightweight and opponents can just breeze through our midfield when he’s playing there. Don’t think he’ll be remember fondly as a United player when he’s done here. He’s more associated with Spurs
Sweet Jesus

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I think he’s been a pointless signing. Also very lightweight and opponents can just breeze through our midfield when he’s playing there. Don’t think he’ll be remember fondly as a United player when he’s done here. He’s more associated with Spurs
Seriously

zenith

He was great for the first 45 but faded away after martial went off. Can't play him for 90 minutes every week, that much is clear.

In the current situation, Fred is the perfect midfielder to bring on after 60 minutes, as he can help out Casemiro and win the ball higher up the pitch if needed.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Ofcourse he will be more associated with Spurs, he played his best years for them. He isn't a pointless signing, he is very good. His ability to pick player between the lines has been one of our strengths to create lot of chances.

stoinz

He was brilliant in the first half. Faded after Martial came off. ETH said something too about combination of City changing tactics and Martial coming off that started their resurgence.

Martial might not score but he play a key role for our tactics. So Eriksen fading in second half could be City’s tactical change than the player losing steam.

NoPace

Doesn’t have the legs for the ‘big’ games for me when we won’t control possession so much.
I think Ten Hag knows this, and the plan is to sign a #8 and have Eriksen back up that spot and Bruno's and get a ton of playing time. Fred was great today, but the logical move going forward is probably for him to move on and be a full-time starter in Italy or Spain and us to sign a star #8. Ideally swap out McTominay for a mean DM who can spell Casemiro and actually protect the defence and pass the ball, which should be doable on the cheap.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I think people are being overly harsh on Eriksen after the City game. Yes, his playing style doesn't suit matches where we have 29% possession, but those matches will be rarities. I'm looking forward to seeing him hopefully thrive against Palace, as he is excellent on the ball, and we're going to have a lot more possession at Selhurst Park than we did vs City.

Real Name

One of the stranger posts I've seen in a while. A starter in midfield is a pointless signing. The other point is even more bizarre, why wouldnt he be remembered fondly by United players? You're making that kind of conclusions based on half a season..

ForeverRed1

Second most assists in the league this season only behind KDB. So for a pointless signing he is doing pretty well.

I do agree though players breeze through him easily at times and defensively he’s not great. But he’s creating goals so he’s contributing.

TheReligion

Abusive
One of the stranger posts I've seen in a while. A starter in midfield is a pointless signing. The other point is even more bizarre, why wouldnt he be remembered fondly by United players? You're making that kind of conclusions based on half a season..
Think Eriksen shit in his handbag

Only explanation

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think people are being overly harsh on Eriksen after the City game. Yes, his playing style doesn't suit matches where we have 29% possession, but those matches will be rarities. I'm looking forward to seeing him hopefully thrive against Palace, as he is excellent on the ball, and we're going to have a lot more possession at Selhurst Park than we did vs City.
I don't think this is being "harsh" on Eriksen, we just recognize his weaknesses (which are hardly his fault at this age) and just discuss how to best use him. Personally I believe Eriksen is too weak off the ball to build top team around him, but also I don't think we can NOT play him regularly now, especially with Wout joining. It's just a compromise we need to accept.

Mike Smalling

I don't think this is being "harsh" on Eriksen, we just recognize his weaknesses (which are hardly his fault at this age) and just discuss how to best use him. Personally I believe Eriksen is too weak off the ball to build top team around him, but also I don't think we can NOT play him regularly now, especially with Wout joining. It's just a compromise we need to accept.
It's not really age related. Him and Casemiro are practically the same age. Eriksen has always been a player that runs and presses a lot, but doesn't really get stuck in physically. That's just his style, and he will be far more of an asset against weaker teams. That being said, he was instrumental in all three goals against Arsenal, the opening goal against Liverpool and he created two big chances against City.

AdNani

He's been a fantastic signing. He cost nothing, and statistically he's out most creative player. Although i would still have Bruno ahead of him in that department.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
This is an objectively stupid take.

Djemba-Djemba

I know loads have already pointed this out but this post really is insanely daft.

How on earth can a signing that plays every week and contributes as he has , 2 goals and 8 assists halfway through the season, be seen as pointless?

He's been really good, for a free signing he's been absolutely brilliant.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's complete nonsense. He's had a very good half season. He's not a perfect midfielder, but he's transitioned to the deep midfielder role better than anyone had expected and has on the whole been excellent. Many assists, and progression from deep has been vital, as has his ability to stretch the field for us. Bruno can remain much higher up with Eriksen deep.

Yes in big games we need to adapt a little, but that's hardly a big deal.

The United

I think we can judge him on the first halves of the games he played in just to be a bit balanced between the best CM here and the pointless signing. I don't remember him being good in the second halves in general though.

In that sense, his first halves are usually very good and he needs to be subed early in the second halves.

dal

He’s was good but strangely I think we functioned better when he went off. I do think in the big games against city, arsenal, we need Fred in there and Bruno behind the striker. I did think his quickness of passing was brilliant though in the first half.

Hester_manc

One of our best players (so far) this season for United. Only Casemiro and Rashford have been better. Eriksen and Casemiro are the most important reason, why United are doing better this season. We have two central midfielders, who work hard and are creative at the same time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's been a superb signing by any metric. At the same it is true that when games get physically intense he gets bypassed a lot. Cancelo and other City players were running rings around him in the second. But despite that, he's been a terrific addition and a solid contributer towards our upward drive this season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He’s was good but strangely I think we functioned better when he went off. I do think in the big games against city, arsenal, we need Fred in there and Bruno behind the striker. I did think his quickness of passing was brilliant though in the first half.
If I'm not mistaken he delivered in key moments against Arsenal as well and was involved in all our good moves

Hester_manc

It is really rare that he doesn`t create 1-3 big scoring chances in a game. Even when he is not playing at his best. We need to rest him sometimes, but United are not the same without him.

SoCross

Think he created two clear chances in the first half against City. If they’d been taken, would have been a far more comfortable game. Far far far from a bad signing. Amazing steal on a free!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Great signing, we need a better player in the summer or at least someone as good who is more mobile

dinostar77

Eriksen was playing when we beat Liverpool (very good), Arsenal (imperious), Tottenham (good cameo as a sub) and today against Manchester City. He also has the second highest assist total in the PL this season after KdB. Not bad for someone who is apparently past being able to play in the "Big Games". Eriksen played a brilliant first half today and a bad 26 minutes until he got subbed in the second. Someone analysed the why's of his decline a couple of posts back. I agree. The game changed with the substitution of Martial. Martial did not play well, but he understood the tactics and covered the right spaces, effectively helping the midfield to close down the dangerous passways and runs. Anthony could not do the same, and that allowed Cancelo to do almost what he wanted for a while, leaving Fred, Casemiro and Eriksen with way to much to do. That put Eriksen out of the game and destroyed the game plan that worked so well before the break. Now City dominated us instead. Thus the substitution Carnacho for the dane. Well done ETH!

Back to the real matter. We do need Eriksen, and we need him against pretty much every team we are facing this season. That is the main reason, why he looks so leggy. ETH seems to agree. Else he would'nt play him so much. Eriksen created chances for Bruno and a sitter for Rashford in the first half today, and almost repeated the free kick-routine with Casemiro. I really liked what I saw in the first 45 with Bruno, Rashford and Martial in front of Fred, Casemiro and Eriksen on 10. City did not know how to play through that formation, and Bruno/Eriksen are so good at setting up counterattacks.

We do need an alternative to Eriksen, and it should not only be a back up. De Jong would be perfect, being able to cover/play for both Eriksen or Casemiro when needed. Bruno, Fred (MotM for me today), De Jong, Eriksen, Casemiro and Scotty would secure fresh legs at all time.
Probably the most pressing need in the squad after getting in another striker which has been done (woug). We need a backup/alternative to eriksen. He links defence and attack and we are simply too reliant on him (a free transfer, 30 year old who has a heart condition and plays with a ICD attached to his chest).

Would be good if we can get someone in on loan but as there have been zero links to CM in this window (from top tier sources) i presume nothing is going to happen.

Crystal Palace 1:1 Man Utd

OrcaFat

He usually plays well in the first half and drops off pretty badly after half time. I don’t know if he just needs a rest or if that’s just him now. Problem is, he’s brilliant. When he drops off or comes off the pitch we lose control.

Womp

idiot
There was a period towards the end of the game where every touch and pass was just so sloppy and misplaced, very uncharacteristic for a player who is usually so composed.

Idxomer

He had a fantastic 45 minutes and just disappeared after that.

Ten Hag should've brought him off earlier for Fred instead of bringing in chaos first.

Lyng

He gets tired but honestly for me it was the same issue as against City. Soon as we lose the link up striker our offensive becomes so erratic and Eriksen falls out of the game.

Red Star One

Good player, not good enough for 60 min of PL football, never mind 90. We gotta improve in the summer - I like him, but was completely invisible second half

Status
Not open for further replies.