Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enigma_87

You know who
This has been on the cards for a long time. Eriksen not signing any new contract was pretty telling. I doubt Levy would sell to a rival PL side so RM it is. Deal probably been in the works since last year, just sorting out price.
He can do nothing if he goes on for free next year. Sure he's a tough negotiator but not an idiot. 100m seems laughable from some of the reports. Would love us to sign him but seems more Real/Barca bound.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Zidane wants Pogba so it'll be interesting to see if he will settle for second choice. I guess Madrid will be tempted to sign the cheaper option though.

jem

Nope. I don't think he's that good, and I'm glad we're not going to sign him. Not that I want Fernandes either, but the other two would be much better.
Maddison would be much better than Eriksson? That's a bold statement!

haram

Fantastic player. Spurs would bum us on the price though.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Maddison would be much better than Eriksson? That's a bold statement!
We've all made bold statements! You live and die by them. Some have killed me but others have resurrected me :D

But yes, I prefer Maddison to Eriksen. Never really been impressed by Eriksen's general play and Maddison impresses me pretty much every game.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Despite Zidane wanting Pogba I do hope we end up buying Eriksen and it seems he would also fancy the move here.

jem

We've all made bold statements! You live and die by them. Some have killed me but others have resurrected me :D

But yes, I prefer Maddison to Eriksen. Never really been impressed by Eriksen's general play and Maddison impresses me pretty much every game.
Fair enough - I love bold statements! I haven’t seen enough of Maddison but sounds like an exciting player.

Alek M

Da manic one
I think he is best suited for Barca. He could be their next Xavi. Nifty with movement, passing, positioning. He would link up well with Messi.

Don't see him coming to us. Although I always thought he is the closest replacement to Scholes.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I don't watch a lot of La Liga, admittedly. Does Zidane now favor 4231 or 433?

Seems so far-fetched that you'd buy Pogba with Kroos and Modric seemingly staying.
Pogba is literally Zidane's #1 priority

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I think he is best suited for Barca. He could be their next Xavi. Nifty with movement, passing, positioning. He would link up well with Messi.

Don't see him coming to us. Although I always thought he is the closest replacement to Scholes.
No and no on both accounts.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I get that, but...

Pogba Modric James Kroos Isco Casemiro Ceballos Kovavic Llorente Valverde

What would you do with all that ? And don't say sell half of them because that is easier said than done.
Well that's the plan. Zidane wants only 5 of those in the team, 6 with Isco who he's fine with either way

SwedishFish

Pogba is literally Zidane's #1 priority
He's the number 1 priority but they've made 5 signings before him... :rolleyes:

You can have him, but it's gonna be up to 160 million and seeing as you already spent about 300 million with Hazard incoming I don't see it happening.

Icemav

For a team that scraped 4th and finished 27 points behind the league leaders, Spurs sure do have incredible players and an incredible manager.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's the number 1 priority but they've made 5 signings before him... :rolleyes:

You can have him, but it's gonna be up to 160 million and seeing as you already spent about 300 million with Hazard incoming I don't see it happening.
He's the #1 priority for Zidane. Not the club...

(Also, he's a much harder deal to push through than the other guys)

Judas

Open to offers
For a team that scraped 4th and finished 27 points behind the league leaders, Spurs sure do have incredible players and an incredible manager.
I just think to be mocking of Spurs when we’re the huge mess we are is a weird way to go. But aye go for it. I’d rather have their manager and plenty of their players.

Icemav

I just think to be mocking of Spurs when we’re the huge mess we are is a weird way to go. But aye go for it. I’d rather have their manager and plenty of their players.
Thats a strange analysis of my statement. On the contrary I agree we are a huge mess and venerating the talent in a team that cannot seem to mount even a flicker of a title challenge seems odd to me. I think Eriksen is a good (not great) player but he is not going to elevate us particularly, certainly with his level of talent alone. The same can be said for most of the players in the Spurs squad unless they really fit into the system that Ole is trying to set up.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I get that, but...

Pogba Modric James Kroos Isco Casemiro Ceballos Kovavic Llorente Valverde

What would you do with all that ? And don't say sell half of them because that is easier said than done.
Tell you what, we will give them Pogba in exchange for Modric

Only joking guys

We will chuck in Rojo + Fred too

redshaw

Sounds like he's not hinting at United with his step up claims.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
It's mostly their midfield being an epic fail. Dier good DM but doesnt offer much else, Wanyama walking injury, Winks walking injury and should probably be a sub as he is not the finished article. They had some 18 y/o academy player playing in midfield in some games, simply because they had no-one else. The only one that has had a decent season in midfield is Sissoko. They never replaced Dembele who whilst a great player, was not in Modric's league.

Provided they splash out some actual money, although this is Spurs - Levy we are talking about. And purchase an upcoming star playmaker they should be fine. But he will not come cheap, rumors they are in for Lo Celso to replace Eriksen. But with Spurs you can see this devolving into an undervalued final minute of deadline day bid for Maddison after not getting their main target Lo Celso. And then being refused by Leicester, then promoting some 18y/o academy player no one has heard of to be Eriksen's replacement.

Personally I think they need two big signings, an Eriksen replacement, if he leaves, and another top class CM. Or at least a wonderkid who might be the next big thing in CM.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I don't get it, whats it saying?
I think it is more about the picture. I don't have a fluent knowledge of Spanish, but from the few words I can grasp, the headline is 'Eriksen speaks: "Real Madrid would be a step forward in my career"' - basically him saying come and get me.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think it is more about the picture. I don't have a fluent knowledge of Spanish, but from the few words I can grasp, the headline is 'Eriksen speaks: "Real Madrid would be a step forward in my career"' - basically him saying come and get me.
Ah makes sense

Bestietom

Price for Pogba set for 150million which will price Juve out. Real are the only ones who can compete for him now.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It's also a team that had to play most of their 'home' games away from home. Let's see United try that and we'll see how you get on.

Owen06

Thats a strange analysis of my statement. On the contrary I agree we are a huge mess and venerating the talent in a team that cannot seem to mount even a flicker of a title challenge seems odd to me. I think Eriksen is a good (not great) player but he is not going to elevate us particularly, certainly with his level of talent alone. The same can be said for most of the players in the Spurs squad unless they really fit into the system that Ole is trying to set up.
I think you are one of the few who is now seeing how tottenham and their players are treated in the media compared to ours.
Their players are always under this media immunity,they never get criticized after a bad performance but elevated to the roof after a good one.

We'll See Out There!

Had to laugh at his statement, says he'd like a new challenge but if nothing comes along then he'll sign on again for Spurs. Oh thanks for the strong sense of commitment Chris, love it!

Icemav

I think you are one of the few who is now seeing how tottenham and their players are treated in the media compared to ours.
Their players are always under this media immunity,they never get criticized after a bad performance but elevated to the roof after a good one.
Thats my take on it. The reality is that in the last two seasons Spurs have earned a whopping 1 (one!) more point than us. This is despite our manager and team having a complete melt down this season. I suppose its due to expectations.

Not saying they never have great players (Modric, Bale, Kane) but it seems people really overestimate them as a squad. GlastonSpur mentions playing at Wembley and Scrotto Baggins their terrible midfield. Good points I suppose but still the facts remain they have not achieved. I do recognize that Levy has under invested and they have done better with less. But objectively they are essentially doing as 'badly' as we have done, while subjectively having a great manager and a better squad (according to many of our fans)

Anyway specifically on Eriksen, good player, but I feel overrated by some. For me a Mata upgrade.

Le Red

It's mostly their midfield being an epic fail. Dier good DM but doesnt offer much else, Wanyama walking injury, Winks walking injury and should probably be a sub as he is not the finished article. They had some 18 y/o academy player playing in midfield in some games, simply because they had no-one else. The only one that has had a decent season in midfield is Sissoko. They never replaced Dembele who whilst a great player, was not in Modric's league.

Provided they splash out some actual money, although this is Spurs - Levy we are talking about. And purchase an upcoming star playmaker they should be fine. But he will not come cheap, rumors they are in for Lo Celso to replace Eriksen. But with Spurs you can see this devolving into an undervalued final minute of deadline day bid for Maddison after not getting their main target Lo Celso. And then being refused by Leicester, then promoting some 18y/o academy player no one has heard of to be Eriksen's replacement.

Personally I think they need two big signings, an Eriksen replacement, if he leaves, and another top class CM. Or at least a wonderkid who might be the next big thing in CM.
It remains to be seen how they'll react to their most recent achievements. They have a new stadium and are Champions League runner-ups. If they decide to double down on Pochettino and splash the cash to upgrade the team they can be a fearsome team in the EPL.
The policies you talk about have been good for them until now, but if they want to make it to the next step they have to change.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It's also a team that had to play most of their 'home' games away from home. Let's see United try that and we'll see how you get on.
Weird flex. Your clubs incompetence at planning is now a way to prove you actually better than results suggest?

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Thats my take on it. The reality is that in the last two seasons Spurs have earned a whopping 1 (one!) more point than us. This is despite our manager and team having a complete melt down this season. I suppose its due to expectations.

Not saying they never have great players (Modric, Bale, Kane) but it seems people really overestimate them as a squad. GlastonSpur mentions playing at Wembley and Scrotto Baggins their terrible midfield. Good points I suppose but still the facts remain they have not achieved. I do recognize that Levy has under invested and they have done better with less. But objectively they are essentially doing as 'badly' as we have done, while subjectively having a great manager and a better squad (according to many of our fans)

Anyway specifically on Eriksen, good player, but I feel overrated by some. For me a Mata upgrade.
Yeah, the squad is overrated to some extent I think. The squad is very thin compared to our direct rivals, and with our injuries it's been hard to compete on all fronts. And despite having some great players such as Kane, the competition also got great players. I also doubt you'll find many people raving about our fullbacks, and despite doing well when he wasn't injured, Winks isn't alongside the best midfielders out there, so we got an unbalanced squad with everyone fit, and with injuries even more so.

As you say, expectations are different, United have spent more than Liverpool and slightly less than City over the last years yet finished 6th. Our spending is I think 19th in the league with the 6th highest wage budget since Pochettino took over.

As for Eriksen he's been 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 3rd on the assist charts in the PL the last 4 years on top of scoring some crucial goals. I think he's absolute quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.