Christian Eriksen | Signs for Inter

Status
Not open for further replies.

George The Best

It remains to be seen how they'll react to their most recent achievements. They have a new stadium and are Champions League runner-ups. If they decide to double down on Pochettino and splash the cash to upgrade the team they can be a fearsome team in the EPL.
The policies you talk about have been good for them until now, but if they want to make it to the next step they have to change.
Hard to do when carrying an even bigger debt than us.

Icemav

Yeah, the squad is overrated to some extent I think. The squad is very thin compared to our direct rivals, and with our injuries it's been hard to compete on all fronts. And despite having some great players such as Kane, the competition also got great players. I also doubt you'll find many people raving about our fullbacks, and despite doing well when he wasn't injured, Winks isn't alongside the best midfielders out there, so we got an unbalanced squad with everyone fit, and with injuries even more so.

As you say, expectations are different, United have spent more than Liverpool and slightly less than City over the last years yet finished 6th. Our spending is I think 19th in the league with the 6th highest wage budget since Pochettino took over.

As for Eriksen he's been 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 3rd on the assist charts in the PL the last 4 years on top of scoring some crucial goals. I think he's absolute quality.
Thanks for the reply. Yes that seems a very balanced appraisal. Considering your resources you have done well relatively. It just gets my goat when I see people raving about your team and the apparent superiority of players (especially from our fans). If that were the case then Poch is doing a poor job, which he isn't.

Certainly though there are about 3 or 4 players from your squad that would improve us if utilized correctly. Regarding wingbacks I thought Danny Rose was outstanding in the CL Final.

Finally on Eriksen, fair point. A top class premiership performer. whether or not he could replicate that in the present United team I am not so sure about and therefore I would not spend a big fee on him.

Fully Fledged

Yeah, the squad is overrated to some extent I think. The squad is very thin compared to our direct rivals, and with our injuries it's been hard to compete on all fronts. And despite having some great players such as Kane, the competition also got great players. I also doubt you'll find many people raving about our fullbacks, and despite doing well when he wasn't injured, Winks isn't alongside the best midfielders out there, so we got an unbalanced squad with everyone fit, and with injuries even more so.

As you say, expectations are different, United have spent more than Liverpool and slightly less than City over the last years yet finished 6th. Our spending is I think 19th in the league with the 6th highest wage budget since Pochettino took over.

As for Eriksen he's been 2nd, 2nd, 5th, 3rd on the assist charts in the PL the last 4 years on top of scoring some crucial goals. I think he's absolute quality.
I totally agree. He's one of the players you have that I would break the bank for.

UpWithRivers

I always wanted him but the game has changed. He needs to be press resistant, dribble past players, explosive from midfield - he is none of that - and he needs to score more goals. In the right system he is one of the best. But there seems to be loads if these players about - james who is a better dribbler, coutinho who will score more, Fekir, Felix, they could even replace him with Mata!

DoneDaDa

Supports
Toronto FC
This is a player Woodward needs to go for he'd be a massive signing is as good as B. Silva for me, with a good work rate and down to earth attitude.

Gandalf

I think that unless it is about the money he would rather sign a new deal with Spurs than join us at this point in time. His comments to me seem to suggest that he had heard all the rumors of interest from Real and so he is basically saying that he would move for a bigger club that offers him the chance of major titles in the next couple of seasons but if that offer does not materialize he is comfortable staying put. I don't get the sense that he is looking to play EL next season and join what is likely to be at least a 3 year rebuild at this point in his career but rather add some silverware as that is what is missing from his CV.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I always wanted him but the game has changed. He needs to be press resistant, dribble past players, explosive from midfield - he is none of that - and he needs to score more goals. In the right system he is one of the best. But there seems to be loads if these players about - james who is a better dribbler, coutinho who will score more, Fekir, Felix, they could even replace him with Mata!
He is very press-resistant, in fact, it was only Eriksen who managed to break Liverpool's press in the final. Too bad he was moved deeper too late.

harms

Staff
Eriksen is great, but I really don't think that we have any chance. Real most certainly wants him, they have the money, Levy will rather sell to them than to us even if we give more money (see Bale)... and Eriksen himself, I'm sure, will rather play in Madrid than to move to a currently inferior side that's also a competitor with Spurs.

With De Ligt we, at least, have a chance of seriously outbidding Barcelona in terms of the fee and wages.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think that unless it is about the money he would rather sign a new deal with Spurs than join us at this point in time. His comments to me seem to suggest that he had heard all the rumors of interest from Real and so he is basically saying that he would move for a bigger club that offers him the chance of major titles in the next couple of seasons but if that offer does not materialize he is comfortable staying put. I don't get the sense that he is looking to play EL next season and join what is likely to be at least a 3 year rebuild at this point in his career but rather add some silverware as that is what is missing from his CV.
Well unless they splash a bit of cash this summer he ain't winning anything with Spurs any time soon.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Weird flex. Your clubs incompetence at planning is now a way to prove you actually better than results suggest?
Weird reply. Playing 'home' games away from your home stadium is more obviously difficult than actually playing them at home - as generally proven by home vs. away league results stretching back for decades across all clubs.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Weird reply. Playing 'home' games away from your home stadium is more obviously difficult than actually playing them at home - as generally proven by home vs. away league results stretching back for decades across all clubs.
But it’s literally completely your own fault you did that. That would never happen to anyone else.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
Bullshit. Wembley was your home for two years. It was an away game for every other team.
Sliced it anyway you like, but Wembley was not our home stadium. It was a stadium we had temporary use of whilst our home stadium was being built. And of course playing there generally made for a worse set of results for Spurs - go back and check our home record in the season prior to having to play at Wembley.

GlastonSpur

Supports
Spurs
But it’s literally completely your own fault you did that. That would never happen to anyone else.
I didn't say it wasn't our fault. But that's irrelevant to the point made.

PS. Of course it would never happen to anyone else, because no one else was (or is) building a new stadium on the site of the old one, so no-one else has faced the same circumstances.

UpWithRivers

He is very press-resistant, in fact, it was only Eriksen who managed to break Liverpool's press in the final. Too bad he was moved deeper too late.
For me he is not. Technique and passing is up there with the best but players need to be more De Brunye than Pirlo these days. Dribbling, dynamic, goalscoring as well as passing and technique. Modric, Pogba da silva - all the top midfielders these days can dribble past players and break a bank of players pressing. If course in the right system he would be magic but I dont think Ole plans it that way

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I didn't say it wasn't our fault. But that's irrelevant to the point made.

PS. Of course it would never happen to anyone else, because no one else was (or is) building a new stadium on the site of the old one, so no-one else has faced the same circumstances.
Fair enough, I think it’s relevant. It’s not like injuries, that are out of your control. That was very much in your control.

ForestRGoinUp

Seems like a logical guess though doesn't it. Find it utterly baffling that people think he'd come here given all of the circumstances.
We’re better off not asking so we don’t keep getting embarrassed publicly. Play the tough to get game instead of acting so thirsty.

Fer

If Eriksen can't go to Madrid or stay at Tottenham. Where could he go? Bayern? Juventus?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Eriksen is great, but I really don't think that we have any chance. Real most certainly wants him, they have the money, Levy will rather sell to them than to us even if we give more money (see Bale)... and Eriksen himself, I'm sure, will rather play in Madrid than to move to a currently inferior side that's also a competitor with Spurs.

With De Ligt we, at least, have a chance of seriously outbidding Barcelona in terms of the fee and wages.
Can’t see Pogba and Eriksen both going to Madrid? I think if we do sell Pogba, which looks likely, we may try and get Eriksen. We'll get absolutely shafted but at the end of the day, he’s on his last year of contract and Levy doesn’t hold as strong a negotiating position as he would like. I think there’s a chance we might get him.

harms

Staff
Can’t see Pogba and Eriksen both going to Madrid? I think if we do sell Pogba, which looks like, we may try and get Eriksen. We'll get absolutely shafted but at the end of the day, he’s on his last year of contract and Levy doesn’t hold as strong a negotiating position as he would like. I think there’s a chance we might get him.
From what I’ve read of him, he seems like a kind of player who won’t go to his club’s domestic rivals (well, at least “competitors”). So, PSG or a free move to Barca/Juve/Bayern next summer are more likely.

But then you can argue that no one really knows what he is like and the image in the press can be different to reality.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
No, he is far too overrated on here.
I wouldn’t say he’s overrated but I think he’s peaked as a player. What you see now is what you’ll get. I don’t think there’s a higher level within him anymore.

I do think there’s a bit of a grass is greener situation on here though with our fans. Many would happily bin Pogba for him, despite the former being a better player.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
From what I’ve read of him, he seems like a kind of player who won’t go to his club’s domestic rivals (well, at least “competitors”). So, PSG or a free move to Barca/Juve/Bayern next summer are more likely.

But then you can argue that no one really knows what he is like and the image in the press can be different to reality.
I’d argue that he’d more likely give it a pass on joining us, (unless we offered outrageous wages) stay with Spurs for an extra year, then have his pickings in 2020.

Dozer

Always a pleasure to watch and would have him here in a heartbeat. Still 27 but could see him being just as good well into his mid 30s.

RoyH1

If we lost Pogba (still not convinced Woodie will let him leave due to his marketing pull), Eriksen would be a decent replacement. He's got a completely different skillset to Pogba but would be a great addition to our midfield.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
I think he'll leave, but I think it's a lot more likely that he'll sign a new deal at Spurs than sign for Manchester United.

davidmichael

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...tian-eriksen-considering-man-utd-16787525.amp

Being linked with him again and seeing as Juve have Ramsey and Rabiot seemingly on the way too I don’t see anyone other than us as a genuine move. Real seem to want Pogba but need to move players on and all the other big clubs are well stocked in that position, if we moved Pogba on for £150 million would Eriksen be a good replacement ? Could probably be got for around £75-£80 million.

LonelyFire

Who would Spurs look at to replace him? That’s probably who we should be going for!

@GlastonSpur in all honesty, I could see Spurs selling him and being better off for it. Not sure he’d come to Utd right enough but can see Pochettino freshening the squad up a fair bit.

Patrick08

Who would Spurs look at to replace him? That’s probably who we should be going for!

@GlastonSpur in all honesty, I could see Spurs selling him and being better off for it. Not sure he’d come to Utd right enough but can see Pochettino freshening the squad up a fair bit.
I think we already are, bruno Fernandes.

LonelyFire

I think we already are, bruno Fernandes.
Not going to derail the thread but I genuinely do not believe we hold any interest in Fernandes.....just as I don’t believe half the clubs who have been linked to him by the Portuguese press are.

Status
Not open for further replies.