Class of 92

Melvyn

prostate examiner
Giggs' impression of Schmikes :lol: "Arghhhh!! Wad ar' uu dooin?!?!?!"

Loved it but I think Phil Neville comes over as a bit of a twat.
Becks is :cool:
And his impression of Becks :lol: "Lads, lads don't scuff the leather whatever you do"

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused
Giggs' impression of Schmikes :lol: "Arghhhh!! Wad ar' uu dooin?!?!?!"

Loved it but I think Phil Neville comes over as a bit of a twat.
Becks is :cool:

Surprised you think that about Phil, I thought he comes across well and the way Giggs speaks about his character makes him even more likeable.

onesaf

Watched it this morning when I came home from work, was in tears from laughter at the story of Nicky Butt burning big Schmikes on the knob and tears of joy watching the clips of those 3 matches...great times

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Stunning. I have watched the Bayern clip loads of times but it still gives me goosebumps. The Phil Neville step over bit and Nicky Butt burning Schmeichel had me in tears. The only annoying part of it was the pretentious nonsense from Blair.

Absolute shame something like that is never likely to happen again:(

Kostur

海尔的老板
It was brilliant, loved the part about Neville's stepovers :lol:

I came to some sad conclusions though, biggest is probably that nowadays, we lack leaders on the pitch, nobody to be feared by the rest of the players if they slack. I don't think that there's 1/100 half as good chemistry between the players either compared to the 92 bunch. When they were talking about those 3 final matches, Becks basically took responsibility for the Spurs' match, Scholesy for the Newcastle match and of course CL final was something special, Teddy, Becks, Butt, Ole, there were so many people to save our arses, a real team. I think that we're lacking this right now. So much can be learned from those lads.

I think I was never aware of how lucky we've been to have such great bunch of players at our disposal. Players who not only are top level, but as well love this club and would die for it. Makes me love Giggsy even more.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I thought it was alright. If I'd seen it on Channel 4 on a Thursday night I'd have thought it was a very good TV documentary. As a film with attempts at character arcs, social commentary and sentimental heart tugging moments where people muck about in a park in slow motion to melancholy tinkly piano music, it was still a very good TV documentary.

The players all came across very well. Clive Tyldesley's re-dubbed 'real' commentary was jarring.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Finally saw it. Loved it!

Probably thought the book was a little better but to see them talk about a few things was great and put a different spin on a few things. I was happy to see them give recognition to a few things that have been overlooked like Scholes' goal against Newcastle in the FA Cup final, Nicky Butt's performance in Barcelona etc.

Really enjoyed it. Will be watching it again soon.

reelworld

Love it. Amazing how good we got it back then. Everyone was screaming for another Keane or Scholes in the current squad, but really, if we ever had another Nicky Butt, he'll be easily the best midfielder on the squad.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Not usually a major fan of these sort of things but watched it the other might and loved it.

I'm around the same vintage as the class of 92 and even though I'd supported Utd since I was a kid the emergence if these players coincided with my own coming of age.

I think that period will always remain my favourite not only because of our success but because of the character that ran through the team. It's probably misty eyed romanticism but I think they represent the last of a now largely dead breed.

It's easy to forget just how good we were back then or to fail to realise just how young they all were. One thing is for sure, it will never happen again which makes me hugely appreciative of being there to see it, at just the right age.

For me football has changed so much for the worse since then.

A must watch for all Utd fans.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Not usually a major fan of these sort of things but watched it the other might and loved it.

I'm around the same vintage as the class of 92 and even though I'd supported Utd since I was a kid the emergence if these players coincided with my own coming of age.

I think that period will always remain my favourite not only because of our success but because of the character that ran through the team. It's probably misty eyed romanticism but I think they represent the last of a now largely dead breed.

It's easy to forget just how good we were back then or to fail to realise just how young they all were. One thing is for sure, it will never happen again which makes me hugely appreciative of being there to see it, at just the right age.

For me football has changed so much for the worse since then.

A must watch for all Utd fans.
This!

Not just football though but music and pop culture. You felt part of something back then

Mockney

You're just getting older.

Surely the recent Barcelona team is precisely it "happening again" btw?

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
Surely the recent Barcelona team is precisely it "happening again"?
Much bigger area to get players plus bringing in prospects from the other side of the world. To an extent yes but they are different situations in my opinion.

Eyepopper

You're just getting older.

Surely the recent Barcelona team is precisely it "happening again" btw?
It's not just about a group of players going on to be successful, and I'm definitely not taking away from Barca.

It's sort of hard to put a description on and more than a bit of it is rooted in the romantic, maybe for Spanish kids the Barca team will be their class of 92.

I'm talking more about in English football and the traditions around it that you can relate directly to.

It's definitely a 'getting older' thing, things change but that's not to say that some of the things that get left behind didn't contribute to making the class of 92 what they were.

A lot of the traditions that surrounded young players at that time everyone could relate to, because every kid who ever played for any club shared them.

That's not to say its the detrement of the sport, it's just different. I thought it was better the other way but that's just my opinion.

Eyepopper

Now I'm off to get a few jumpers and an old pigs bladder to relive my youff....

Mockney

Don't worry, I'm not trying to destroy your youth Pops. I'm only a few years younger than you, so I consider it mine as well. Not even determined cynics like me could take any magic away from the 98/99 season. It was magical, however poorly or well you depict it.

But...Beckham's arc wasn't really fulfilled during the Spurs game. It's natural conclusion wasn't until the Greece game the following year. Scholes wasn't really the match winner against Newcastle in the FA Cup final, he scored the second in a very comfortable 2-0 win in which Sheringham was MOTM. And Nicky Butt wasn't really the hero of Barcelona. He was a hard working central midfielder in a team that was overrun in midfield for the majority of the game. None of these things help to match any kind of narrative arc though, which are needed for characters in a film, so instead we get these slightly engineered depictions, complete with slow motion and nice music and the implied idea of a more perfect, halcyon time. This peaked with the frankly surreal phrase "Maybe Roy Keane getting suspended was God's way of saying how good Nicky Butt was"

And all that is lovely and perfectly fine. But lets try and hold off on the poetry for another couple of years, ey.

.Rossi

Don't worry, I'm not trying to destroy your youth Pops. I'm only a few years younger than you, so I consider it mine as well. Not even determined cynics like me could take any magic away from the 98/99 season. It was magical, however poorly or well you depict it.

But...Beckham's arc wasn't really fulfilled during the Spurs game. It's natural conclusion wasn't until the Greece game the following year. Scholes wasn't really the match winner against Newcastle in the FA Cup final, he scored the second in a very comfortable 2-0 win in which Sheringham was MOTM. And Nicky Butt wasn't really the hero of Barcelona. He was a hard working central midfielder a team that was overrun in midfield for the majority of the game. None of these things help to match any kind of narrative arc though, which are needed for characters in a film, so instead we get these slightly engineered depictions, complete with slow motion and nice music and the implied idea of a more perfect, halcyon time. This peaked with the frankly surreal phrase "Maybe Roy Keane getting suspended was God's way of saying how good Nicky Butt was"

And all that is lovely and perfectly fine. But lets try and hold off on the poetry for another couple of years, ey.

This post is so true, that I want to have sex with it

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Finished watching it, the film was great. I agree with Mockney that there was quite a bit of exaggeration but nonetheless still a good watch. Phil's stepovers were a classic. The story of Fergie coming to Sharpe's house just goes to show why he didn't fully make it here,

'do you want to end up like him Ryan?'

You forget Beckham was quality his whole time here, great player that will be forgotten due to all the other stuff.

ricky-romeo

that 1999 team was just special.

it was a time where the gaffer would not have to think much about the opposition's strengths or weaknesses when it comes to selecting his line up because we got the very best team out there. the preferable starting line up when everyone is fit and available would be schmeichel, gary neville, stam, johnsen, irwin, beckham, keane, scholes, giggs, yorke and cole.

but then we had phil neville as backup for both of the full back roles, we got berg and may at CB, blomqvist was quite good for that one season he was fit. nicky butt, what we could do with a player like him in our team right now. and of course solskjaer and sheringham.

i thought the selling of stam in 2001 kind of broke our supposedly an even longer dominance in english and european football. yes we still end up with the tittle in 2003 a year after losing it to arsenal but things could had been even better that 1999 to 2003 period. the majority of the players were just 24 or 25 when we won the treble.

Eyepopper

But...Beckham's arc wasn't really fulfilled during the Spurs game. It's natural conclusion wasn't until the Greece game the following year. Scholes wasn't really the match winner against Newcastle in the FA Cup final, he scored the second in a very comfortable 2-0 win in which Sheringham was MOTM. And Nicky Butt wasn't really the hero of Barcelona. He was a hard working central midfielder in a team that was overrun in midfield for the majority of the game. None of these things help to match any kind of narrative arc though, which are needed for characters in a film, so instead we get these slightly engineered depictions, complete with slow motion and nice music and the implied idea of a more perfect, halcyon time. This peaked with the frankly surreal phrase "Maybe Roy Keane getting suspended was God's way of saying how good Nicky Butt was"

Baaaaaaahhhhh humbug...... Roy Keane was 8ft tall and shot lightning bolts out of his arse. Mike Phelan had cavles the size of beer kegs, made grown men cry they did, he insisted on only ever wearing shorts to make sure they were always on display!

.Rossi

Baaaaaaahhhhh humbug...... Roy Keane was 8ft tall and shot lightning bolts out of his arse. Mike Phelan had cavles the size of beer kegs, made grown men cry they did, he insisted on only ever wearing shorts to make sure they were always on display!

A picture of testosterone was Mike Phelan :drool:

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Does anyone know if there is a football documentary thread? I wanted to ask what people's preferred football documentaries are after seeing this, I'd quite like to know about others. I'm not brilliant with the search function, but I did search a moment ago, but didn't manage to find one, but Im sure I can remember seeing one at some point.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Excellent. Absolutely excellent.

I must say, Giggsy is a master story-teller, isn't he? You can tell that he's almost the father figure of the group. He has that authoritative air about him.
I loved the Giggsy tells the stories he's amazing

Moonwalker

I thought it was bland. If you're a United fan, you have basically already seen this film in all but the sum of its parts.

The only unearthing of new information(for me), was Phil Neville's ridiculous piety, and the fact that people like Butt and Ferdinand find bullying to be not just commonplace, but necessary and desirable as part of the toughening up process, whereas David Beckham has a less romantic view on it, is glad it's now gone, and would like to think his generation brought an end to it.

There's a divergence of opinion on that particular subject that I'm not sure was left in intentionally. Other than that, which could be a good basis for a documentary in and of itself, it was a bunch of people saying things we've all heard and read a million times, with some maudlin music in the background.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Loved it. I'm not saying it's up there with the great sports documentaries or anything, but as a United fan I just loved it. It was well made and of course, there was an element of romanticising and exaggeration, but that comes with the territory for these types of films. The whole thing was about six kids making a breakthrough at one of the biggest clubs in the world and reaching the pinnacle of the sport together. It was great.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Loved the bit with Giggs talking about how Sir Alex caught him and Sharpie on the beer one night and there were apprentices jumping out the window upstairs in the house to avoid being seen by the gaffer :lol:

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Thought it was mediocre, having them all sit around a table remember that pass? and remember that goal? and Phil Nevile in his pink shirt telling some boring stories, there wasn't any need for this type of documentary, anybody who is in the list bit interested in football knows how great they were anyway. I know its wrong but Phil Neville is not on the same level as the rest of them either.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Really enjoyed it, of course it was a bit cringey at times, and tries too hard to be dramatic, but it's still very enjoyable. I really liked the build up to Giggs' goal in the semi against Arsenal, the last three games were great of course. But my favourite part was Giggs imitating Beckham's cockney accent :lol: (can't remember what he said though, something about his car I think)

It's a pretty good watch, I think any Utd fan would enjoy it, and probably not only Utd fans.