g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Indeed. It doesn't matter which country it is, it's all a crapshoot. As @diarm said in that excellent post on the previous page, once nation states get involved, it completely devalues the achievements of the club and ultimately serves to undermine the whole sport. A thousand titles under Saudi ownership wouldn't be worth a single one of the Premier League titles we won in Sir Alex's time.
Does that mean the reverse is true?

Cnuts like Glazers who are like an financial anchor tied to the club would reversely overvalue any of the silverware previously won by the club?

Last edited:

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
Add to that the Celtics, the Clippers and even the Mavs ownerrship. There are some good owners (Mavs have had a few weird hiccups recently i think). The Glazers have a horrible name even in the US. They deserve the hate.
The Celtics had Danny Ainge. He, still to this day, is one of the best GMs in the NBA imo. Ballmer and Cuban do really care about the team although if we talk trophies, they aren't really winning things, but they don't have Carabao cups so I give them a pass for that ;) Also I don't think running an NBA team is the same as an overseas football team.

Which American owner(s) have really been succesful in the Premier League? I'd say none except for FSG, but they got really lucky with Klopp. Kroenke is hated for not spending money, the Glazers are hated for not spending money, Boehly comes in and fires a CL winning coach because he doesn't want Ronaldo and doesn't want to teach him the game of football. If the hit rate on American owners is that low, it's only fair the fans don't want them here.

The oil-states might have a worse reputation off the pitch but a hell of a lot better reputation of running a football club.

Giggsyking

I would be absolutely fuming if another blood sucking leaches from USA buy the club.

stw2022

I don't get why sharing a nationality with someone else makes them unpalatable.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Got to say I am quite envious of you lot who can be so concerned about human rights abuse and LGBTQ rights in the middle East. For someone like me whose bigger worries in life is how I'm getting through till the end of the month, I just am not as morally invested in the club's ownership. Supporting the team is one of my prime source of enjoyment even when we stunk like last season. Who the club's owners are and what they do away from the club is so far down my list of concerns. Also could be that I am a heartless terrible person.:nervous:
Maybe you should focus your free time on making more money or training to move into a higher paid industry, rather than spending all your free time on a game of football, at the detriment of caring about real world human rights abuses.

Von Mistelroum

I'm really not sure what to think about all of this. On the one hand, a US group buying United equals a slow death for the club. The Glazers are killing us, albeit slowly but in decades to come there will be very little left. A new US investor group are going to want more money back from their investment quickly and that process is likely to accelerate.

Obviously then there's the idea of being owned by a questionable state or oil funded group which is likely from a country where the regime has values plucked straight from the middle ages. United live but the club's soul dies.

MDFC Manager

Is it really that hard to support a club without supporting the owners? I completely don't get the people who "will no longer support or watch any United games" if our new owner is someone from the Middle East. You still supporting the club will not mean you agree with the values or the ideology of them. Whoever our new owner is, just like the Glazers, can get fecked as far as I am concerned. All tech giant rumours are completely unrealistic and laughable so you can forget about that, so we are left with 2 options, consortiums that will look at us as a money making machine and will likely milk us dry like the parasites we have now, or ME states. To me it's obvious which option is better for the club, doesn't mean I would be chanting and actively supporting the owners.
Great post.

The Purley King

Is it really that hard to support a club without supporting the owners? I completely don't get the people who "will no longer support or watch any United games" if our new owner is someone from the Middle East. You still supporting the club will not mean you agree with the values or the ideology of them. Whoever our new owner is, just like the Glazers, can get fecked as far as I am concerned. All tech giant rumours are completely unrealistic and laughable so you can forget about that, so we are left with 2 options, consortiums that will look at us as a money making machine and will likely milk us dry like the parasites we have now, or ME states. To me it's obvious which option is better for the club, doesn't mean I would be chanting and actively supporting the owners.
I get that and it’s a good post, but then our success is their success and it will rankle.
I’ve worked for a company that had a very similar experience, huge leveraged buyout, saddled the company with a load of debt during the takeover and it’s genuinely a tough one to get over.
Yes we all want to do well, but cui bono at the end of the day?
If it’s someone/people you don’t like it’s a tough sell

welshwingwizard

Maybe you should focus your free time on making more money or training to move into a higher paid industry, rather than spending all your free time on a game of football, at the detriment of caring about real world human rights abuses.
Wow. That was a bit uncalled for and extremely lacking in empathy. They didn't specify how much money they spend on football. Merely that it was a release.

And unfortunately many of the critical jobs in the UK are paying salaries that require people to still go to food banks or have extra assistance (not saying that is the case here).

Only that thank god our nurses or police or firemen don't just all quit to go to get jobs in the financial services sector as you would advise them when faced with the cost of living crisis.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Always wondered why the likes of adidas didn’t get into owning a big club, the advertising opportunities would be immense
They hardly need more advertising when they are kitting out so many high profile teams. It might even hinder them to own one club.

The amount of giddiness over being potentially bought by oil money is disturbing, to say the least
Its oil money or becoming a part of the pack looking up at teams with the oil money. There is no other way to stay competetive.
Its then down to a personal choice and your ethical opinion.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I've got my head around the fact it's gonna happen whatever I think about it.

Will I support someone else? No I won't.

red thru&thru

Whoever takes over at United, will have the whole worlds eye on them.

United are the biggest prize. But also the biggest risk. Hopefully, it can only yield positivity down the line.

Spark

Thing is, we don’t need oil money to revolutionise us. City, Chelsea, PSG, Newcastle did because they were a tier below/canon fodder when bought (Newcastle very recent, but you get the point). We just need an owner or ownership model that means we can continually invest in the club and ensure that our infrastructure is world beating and we continue to produce world class talent and attract the right players. There’s a myth of oil money vs the rest, but Bayern, Barca, Real aren’t going anywhere and they aren’t backed by terrorist regimes.

No owner will be perfect, but being the play thing of a despotic royal family is one of the worst options around. A grown up owner who can instil professionalism backed by investment is the way forward and hopefully Raine Group can do that.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Is it really that hard to support a club without supporting the owners?
Largely impossible I’d say.
Every game you go to, or shirt you buy you are directly supporting the owners. Every match you watch on TV or at the pub you are putting cash in the coffers of whoever buys us. It’s at the heart of why the anti-Glazer protests have only had limited success.
If you’re not watching the games, or going to OT or showing your support with mercy and shirts - are you really supporting the club at all?

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
I suppose the question is can you enjoy football with the stench of greed, corruption and sometimes pure evil in your nose. If nazi Germany owned the club, would it matter?

End of the day, yes it does. I have contempt for City no matter how often they hammer us on the field. If we join their ranks we will be diminshed as a club even if we win more. Will I still watch? Probably. Will I pay to watch? Not in a million years.

oneway

Me too. But far less than if it wasn't held in such an abominable place.
This abominable place is enjoyed by lots of ex pats loving the experience and opportunities . Our ex players also loved it too, nobody died no arrest no drunks. Check how many crimes were committed in our big cities during the World Cup maybe we get our own house in order. These owners will do better than the Glazers I’m certain of it.Sorry not many out there who will buy us at the price being quoted.

arthurka

Loving the club and hating the owners, we have been doing that for years. I will keep supporting Utd and hating the owners until they show me why I should change my mind.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
This abominable place is enjoyed by lots of ex pats loving the experience and opportunities .
Do I really have to make the case against? A police state with laws in hoc to the most primitive interpretation of Islam, Wahabi. Where women have no rights? Where money has corrupted everything. Where free speech gets you killed? Where who knows how many died to build useless stadiums to sportswash monsters. Our house is very much in order compared to that hell hole.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
This abominable place is enjoyed by lots of ex pats loving the experience and opportunities . Our ex players also loved it too, nobody died no arrest no drunks. Check how many crimes were committed in our big cities during the World Cup maybe we get our own house in order. These owners will do better than the Glazers I’m certain of it.Sorry not many out there who will buy us at the price being quoted.
A flawed argument if ever I saw one. The two things don’t happen in isolation, we can pressure oppressive barbaric regimes to change whilst considering and improving our own society.
Not being entirely perfect ourselves doesn’t absolve others of their human rights abuses. It also doesn’t mean we should turn a blind eye to them simply because we want their oil money.

EricLeRoi68

Next owners are likely to fund part of the purchase with debt, just like the Glazers. But this time the sum to be paid back will be cripplingly large. If the club isn’t generating sufficient income (eg, if we don’t qualify for CL etc) we will be in huge financial trouble. Lots of nightmare scenarios possible

darioterios

Which American owner(s) have really been succesful in the Premier League? I'd say none except for FSG, but they got really lucky with Klopp. Kroenke is hated for not spending money, the Glazers are hated for not spending money, Boehly comes in and fires a CL winning coach because he doesn't want Ronaldo and doesn't want to teach him the game of football. If the hit rate on American owners is that low, it's only fair the fans don't want them
Hicks and Gillett for the record as well...
Seriously, I agree, to me this is not anti-Americanism or whatever, but about their way of doing business looking at their historical records. Investing in a big team, especially in the PL, means you have to sustain an endless arm race, star wars or whatever or risk fading behind. What else leads to Fsg selling Liverpool now?

When you look at Erik's transfer targets, the likes of De Jong, Bellingham popping up again and again, already with Gakpo costing around 50 million in a month, then the whole Old Trafford task, AFTER all the costs of purchasing the club, a near bottomless pit really. My dream is actually an American dream as well, Berkshire Hathaway who has the money and knows to how let competent people run their subsidiaries, dreams can't be buy though.

Pickle85

Will definitely take the shine off supporting united to the point where I'll take no more than a passing interest, I suspect. Like when you used to use cheat codes on footie management games...fun at first but ultimately deeply unsatisfying.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Will definitely take the shine off supporting united to the point where I'll take no more than a passing interest, I suspect. Like when you used to use cheat codes on footie management games...fun at first but ultimately deeply unsatisfying.
The funny thing is, if we were run efficiently, we wouldn't need to be owned by a state in order for it to feel like a cheat code. We are still the biggest club in England.

Pickle85

The funny thing is, if we were run efficiently, we wouldn't need to be owned by a state in order for it to feel like a cheat code. We are still the biggest club in England.
Yup indeed. Run properly we could be self sustaining and still profitable.

Infra-red

Does that mean the reverse is true?

Cnuts like Glazers who are like an financial anchor tied to the club would reversely overvalue any of the silverware previously won by the club?
Well, yes. Sir Alex worked absolute miracles to keep us competative and winning things circa 2006-13.

kaku06

Vulgarian
I can't stop supporting United. I am hooked for life I think.
You aren’t alone man. This is the one true love of my life and I wouldn’t able to exist without it. Letting go of united would be like letting go of my soul.

kaku06

Vulgarian
I'd have to stop supporting united, which would probably see me giving up football.

I think only plastic fans will stay.
How do I, a low moral human reply to this self righteous superior homosapien sapien ?

Steve Bruce

How do I, a low moral human reply to this self righteous superior homosapien sapien ?
I'm not even sure what a plastic fan is.

I've been supporting Manchester United since 1989. I've seen the good times and bad times and supported United right through it all.

I certainly would prefer someone without human right violations and questionable morals but I have zero control over it.

I support United now with deplorable owners albeit not on the same level or scale of what the Saudi regime have done but I am able to separate the ownership to the club.

I support United not the glazers and whoever takes United over whether good bad or indifferent won't change my support for United.

If that makes me a plastic fan then so be it

RopersReturn

Seems pretty obvious, the Glazers have slapped on a ludicrous asking price and Joel isn’t prepared to negotiate for anything less from what I can gather?

kaku06

Vulgarian
I'm not even sure what a plastic fan is.

I've been supporting Manchester United since 1989. I've seen the good times and bad times and supported United right through it all.

I certainly would prefer someone without human right violations and questionable morals but I have zero control over it.

I support United now with deplorable owners albeit not on the same level or scale of what the Saudi regime have done but I am able to separate the ownership to the club.

I support United not the glazers and whoever takes United over whether good bad or indifferent won't change my support for United.

If that makes me a plastic fan then so be it
Same.

Status
Not open for further replies.