Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Does that mean anything?
That angle of the pointing finger in Qatar means “I have agreed a deal for nearly £6bn with the Glazers to purchase Manchester United entirely”.

It’s a very old Qatari proverb.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
That angle of the pointing finger in Qatar means “I have agreed a deal for nearly £6bn with the Glazers to purchase Manchester United entirely”.

It’s a very old Qatari proverb.
Also pointing to his pockets. That’s where Jim is.

Red Rash

Out of interest does anyone own Man Utd shares? The market cap is 3 billion and the talk is of 6 billion bids so it seems like a good risk reward or am I missing something?

Appletonred

Van Der Sar leaving Ajax, construction work underway at Carrington, Neymar linked, just all a coincidence right??

Suspect there will be an announcement not long after the cup final that indeed it is Qatar who are the new overlords.

Hester_manc

New AI pic has just dropped.

There are many things you can read from this picture:

He is wearing a gold robe - it means he already celebrates United's successful future
He has a halo around his head - he is a holy and good man.
But wait a minute...the glory is false - he is a false prophet. Bad news for United.
He smiles and points downwards - this shows which way City will go
There are 2 hearts and he looks directly at them - we win the double next season

jm99

Think the Glazers will not sell the club. It was said that they were just trying to estimate the value of the club to see if they can get a good fee, but I suppose that 5B is not enough for them.

Frustration will grow even bigger towards them, no investment again this summer and they will probably not back Ten Hag this summer.

It's another example of how poor they are at running (ruining) the club.
So they paid what was a presumably substantial fee to raine, pissed off Qatar, Ratcliffe and any other bidders, likely damaged their prospects of selling in the future just to see what the club is worth?

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
A couple of weeks after round 3 (officially the final round of bidding - deadline 28 April), the bidders still had not received any feedback, but the Qataris were presumably hearing the same things as the media (ie that Ineos were significantly ahead and were probably about to be granted exclusivity) and therefore Qatar contacted the Glazers directly (bypassing Raine) to put in a new bid outside the formal bidding process that eclipsed their third round bid. That was on Monday 15 May.

Precise figures are hard to come by, but reports have indicated that the additional bid that the Qataris submitted directly to the Glazers, still falls short the bid that Ineos submitted in the third round of the formal bidding process.

A further two weeks have gone by and nobody has really heard anything - we do know that United's board of directors met on Thursday last week to discuss the ongoing process, but no resolution was achieved. It has again been reported that Ineos are still ahead (one assumes that the Qataris have one last chance to at least match the Ineos third round bid, but if they fail or if no '5th round' Qatari bid is forthcoming, I'd guess we'll hear shortly after the cup final that Ineos have won and Avram & Joel are staying on in minority roles - no more matches until August will minimise the potential for disruptive protests).
Great summary on the process from the last couple of weeks however the figure isnt known from the latest bid from Qatar however it’s enough to mean that INEOS wasn’t picked then and there.

I don’t think the Glazers have made a decision and it will rumble on through the summer , they are likely playing cat and mouse for a 5th and final offer to push above the INEOS deal. If they don’t they will take the INEOS deal so basically we are waiting, they are waiting and Qatar is waiting to receive feedback.

There is also rumblings that the Abu Dhabi group or the Saudis can’t remember which have a 9% stake in Raine , that is more than enough to piss off the Qataris and make any deal take twice as long.

It’s all a mess.

Qatar dealing with Glazers direct who have instructed Raine to handle the process therefore they would miss out on commission I imagine there’s a hefty fine in their agreement for that?

INEOS dealing with Raine , less cash up front but a promise of paying a bit more per share , it doesn’t seem like a solid deal to me…

Either way I think we’re about 2/3 months out from resolution and it will likely need one of the bidders to back away.

laughtersassassin

So anyone else thinking they are waiting for the season to end to announce no sale or Minority sale to hedge fund?

Because it means they can avoid the initial backlash entirely as there won't be any fans around for another 3 months.

At this point if the club was being sold there'd be a preferred bidder by now imo

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
So anyone else thinking they are waiting for the season to end to announce no sale or Minority sale to hedge fund?

Because it means they can avoid the initial backlash entirely as there won't be any fans around for another 3 months.

At this point if the club was being sold there'd be a preferred bidder by now imo
Unless there was a belief a higher bid may yet come in from one of the two interested parties.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

It’s the Glazers…

Always expect the absolute shittest, pathetic, most laughable outcome to pretty much any situation they’re involved with.

jm99

No. They'd have basically paid probably tens of millions to raine for essentially no reason, maybe more I dno how high their fees would be for something like this. They'd be pissing off the state of Qatar that could likely be valuable business partners in the future, they'd be pissing off Britain's richest man, they'd be pissing off fans who've shown that they don't have an issue causing games to get delayed when they're angry enough with the Glazers. There's also the issue of Newcastle, City, Chelsea etc. All spending fortunes and making top 4 becomes more unlikely with each passing year of under investment.

There's no logical reason for them to stay

George The Best

A couple of weeks after round 3 (officially the final round of bidding - deadline 28 April), the bidders still had not received any feedback, but the Qataris were presumably hearing the same things as the media (ie that Ineos were significantly ahead and were probably about to be granted exclusivity) and therefore Qatar contacted the Glazers directly (bypassing Raine) to put in a new bid outside the formal bidding process that eclipsed their third round bid. That was on Monday 15 May.

Precise figures are hard to come by, but reports have indicated that the additional bid that the Qataris submitted directly to the Glazers, still falls short the bid that Ineos submitted in the third round of the formal bidding process.

A further two weeks have gone by and nobody has really heard anything - we do know that United's board of directors met on Thursday last week to discuss the ongoing process, but no resolution was achieved. It has again been reported that Ineos are still ahead (one assumes that the Qataris have one last chance to at least match the Ineos third round bid, but if they fail or if no '5th round' Qatari bid is forthcoming, I'd guess we'll hear shortly after the cup final that Ineos have won and Avram & Joel are staying on in minority roles - no more matches until August will minimise the potential for disruptive protests).
The Board meeting seems to suggest they are not yet comfortable with the Ineos/SJR bid, despite them supposedly being in the lead. Yes, could be an attempt to squeeze more from SJ, but who is really behind his bid? It’s looking less likely (to me) that this is a state backed bid. Doubt they would lose out to Ineos if it were. Looking a bit of a mess all round.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

Surely if it’s a minority sale it will be to INEOS. I don’t see what a hedge fund can offer that their bid can’t. Hell, INEOS will even upgrade/rebuild the stadium for them without them having to spend a penny.
I think it’s down to Jassim or Jim now.

DOTA

Surely if it’s a minority sale it will be to INEOS. I don’t see what a hedge fund can offer that their bid can’t. Hell, INEOS will even upgrade/rebuild the stadium for them without them having to spend a penny.
I think it’s down to Jassim or Jim now.
Is there any reason to believe INEOS would have any interest in a minority stake?

DOTA

Yeah okay, I used the wrong terminology, my bad. You know what I mean. As on J&A staying on - it’s kinda a have cake and eat it offer.
I wasn't trying to nit-pick, I think the person you were responding to is imagining the Glazers wishing to retain a controlling stake.

Infra-red

Is there any reason to believe INEOS would have any interest in a minority stake?
I think he means that the Ineos bid that offers a cash-out option to the four recalcitrant siblings and leaves Avram & Joel with a minority interest, trumps a minority investment from a PE house.

I also think a minority investment is a less likely option now that Ineos have demonstrated they are sufficiently flexible to offer the family a continuing interest in the club. It's Ineos or Qatar now in my view. From what we know about the Glazers, it probably all comes down to the final numbers.

Infra-red

Great summary on the process from the last couple of weeks however the figure isnt known from the latest bid from Qatar however it’s enough to mean that INEOS wasn’t picked then and there.

I don’t think the Glazers have made a decision and it will rumble on through the summer , they are likely playing cat and mouse for a 5th and final offer to push above the INEOS deal. If they don’t they will take the INEOS deal so basically we are waiting, they are waiting and Qatar is waiting to receive feedback.

There is also rumblings that the Abu Dhabi group or the Saudis can’t remember which have a 9% stake in Raine , that is more than enough to piss off the Qataris and make any deal take twice as long.

It’s all a mess.

Qatar dealing with Glazers direct who have instructed Raine to handle the process therefore they would miss out on commission I imagine there’s a hefty fine in their agreement for that?

INEOS dealing with Raine , less cash up front but a promise of paying a bit more per share , it doesn’t seem like a solid deal to me…

Either way I think we’re about 2/3 months out from resolution and it will likely need one of the bidders to back away.
Mubadala, Abu Dhabi’s strategic investment arm, own a 9% equity stake in Raine Group LLC. Raine have also advised City Football Group in the past, particularly in the early days following the buyout, and assisted them with growing their brand and the development of their multi-club strategy.

The idea that Raine have deliberately obfuscated the sale process at United to drive away the Qataris out of loyalty/obligation to one of their minority investors, seems to me to be quite far-fetched, though.

putzmcgee123

Out of interest does anyone own Man Utd shares? The market cap is 3 billion and the talk is of 6 billion bids so it seems like a good risk reward or am I missing something?
I have seen an insane amount of misinformation about how this functions, and your post has literally inspired me to create an account to reply after lurking for a long time.

I really wish people would just say nothing when they are not knowledgeable on a particular subject, instead of spouting drivel with such confidence.

To be clear, this should not be taken as advice or a recommendation of any kind. Simply trying to share my knowledge and experience in this industry.

Here is the foundation of how it works.
  • Manchester United plc is the holding company for our beloved football club. The Glazers hold around 69% of the shares, while the other ~31% trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE).
  • The Glazers shares are Class B shares and are held privately, but can be converted to Class A shares if they wanted to sell on the NYSE. The NYSE shares are Class A shares and trade publicly.
  • The Glazers essentially hold all of the voting power. Class B shares have 10 times the voting rights of Class A shares.
  • Nevertheless, one Class A share entitles the holder to the same amount of equity in the company as a Class B share.
To provide some information and correct the two biggest falsehoods I've seen:

1. Enterprise value is typically the method used in these kinds of transactions. In plain English, this means debt is included in the "number" you see as the bid. Example: suppose United has no cash, the debt is £1B, and the bid is £6B. This means the equity (shares) of the club are valued at £5B (in this example).
  2. "Only the Glazer shares are for sale." Not necessarily. The Glazers control the Board and the votes. It is certainly within the realm of possibility that, if a 100% takeover is sought (ie. Qataris), it can be executed in one transaction. People seem to be fixated on this Class A vs Class B share distinction, but these are shares of the same entity. I do not see why it would have to operate any differently than any other take-private transaction. If a scheme of arrangement was in place and since the Glazers control the Board and the voting power, this is doable.
The bottom line as I see it is this, in my opinion: If there is no full takeover, the shares give no meaningful voting rights, paid no dividends for almost 2 years, and even back when they paid dividends, the Class A shares got peanuts.

"Okay, then why would the Qataris (or anyone) bother with 100% when they do like Jimmy Rat allegedly started with and send a bid on the Glazer shares only?"

1. Eliminate the ample regulatory and reporting requirementa that come with having it as a plc on a stock exchange.
  2. If the Qataris believe the club will increase in value under their ownership, owning 100% makes more sense in the long run.
  3. Status, pride, etc.

Reactions: Niall

croadyman

Van Der Sar leaving Ajax, construction work underway at Carrington, Neymar linked, just all a coincidence right??

Suspect there will be an announcement not long after the cup final that indeed it is Qatar who are the new overlords.
What % would you put on it if pushed

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
There are many things you can read from this picture:

He is wearing a gold robe - it means he already celebrates United's successful future
He has a halo around his head - he is a holy and good man.
But wait a minute...the glory is false - he is a false prophet. Bad news for United.
He smiles and points downwards - this shows which way City will go
There are 2 hearts and he looks directly at them - we win the double next season
Or, I just got my end away, twice

Cloud7

Keep saying after Cup Final,however if we get no news at all then that's not a good sign
We keep on saying it'll be after something. First it was it'll be after CL is sewed up, now it's after the cup final :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.