g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTD_Since_1978

So, er, late to the party & can't be arsed to go through over 2000 pages, I'm just wondering what this recent Sir Jim news actually means in regards to UTD seriously challenging for the big two trophies, any improvement on the Glazers or can we expect to see no difference & fan protests again?

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
So, er, late to the party & can't be arsed to go through over 2000 pages, I'm just wondering what this recent Sir Jim news actually means in regards to UTD seriously challenging for the big two trophies, any improvement on the Glazers or can we expect to see no difference & fan protests again?
It doesn’t put us in a financial position to keep up with City. Pretty simple.

RedDevil@84

There is nothing in the thread. Except a few people sad that we aren't getting the Qatar money and predicting doom and a few people celebrating because we aren't getting Qatar money and predicting great success and then everyone in between, speculating everything between doom and success.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
You could ask me to elaborate instead of making a broad assumption on my comments. I have no doubt Jim has certain agreements in place to takeover at a certain point and wasn’t implying he’s a complete mug. Part of the reason rich people get rich is with a wickedly thick skin and self belief beyond reality. This leads them to great riches but also means they make big mistakes aswell (as nobody can talk sense to them when they are wrong)

But, if he does take over the football running of things and/or things get worse , he’s going to be just as much a target as the glazers. He will share the abuse regardless of whether it’s his fault or not.

can you imagine United still fumbling around in 2 years time, no closer to any clarity of the clubs future, stadium still leaking and erratic performance on field. Look at the hysteria if a player or manager has a few bad weeks, why would you think sir Jim will be immune from that?
Don't need to imagine it, what you describe will almost certainly be the case whoever is in charge

RedRocket9908

This hasnt actually gone through yet and may not go through if the board vote against it or the EPL block it.

If it does go through we wont really know how the club will be affected until SJR releases some kind of statement outlining his plans for it.

DownRiver

As a 70 year old, how will he manage INEOS’s core business plus sporting interests in cycling, Mercedes F1 team, two footballing clubs etc and one of the biggest football clubs in the world?

Von Mistelroum

In real terms it puts money in the pockets of the Glazers, and will likely result in a bodged paint job to the club infrastructure, so there'll be talk of improvements and expansion of the stadium for a while. This will eventually go quiet and we'll get cheap renovation of the most crumbling section or something.

Rat says he wants footballing control, so I imagine the same old businessmen will remain in charge, but a yes-man will be brought in to be 'Director of Football' in name only, while things continue as normal.

We won't have additional funds to match City by any stretch, but best-case scenario we might get a slightly improved spend this summer to paper over the cracks and make Jimbo look good (until we realise that money came from next summer's spend, next summer).

Basically it's great news! If you're a Glazer.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
As a 70 year old, how will he manage INEOS’s core business plus sporting interests in cycling, Mercedes F1 team, two footballing clubs etc and one of the biggest football clubs in the world?
Like virtually every CEO he'll have his employees do the bulk of the work while he earns the lion's share.

spwd

For those against Qatar due to state ownership - understand that until we know for sure Sir Jim has an air tight agreement for eventual full control - United will likely be state owned anyway down the line if the Glazers really believe the club can reach a higher valuation (8-10B). You’re just delaying the inevitable. At the above figure, only so many can afford the club. Not that many can afford now under the Glazers current valuation.
That's an excellent point.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
In real terms it puts money in the pockets of the Glazers, and will likely result in a bodged paint job to the club infrastructure, so there'll be talk of improvements and expansion of the stadium for a while. This will eventually go quiet and we'll get cheap renovation of the most crumbling section or something.

Rat says he wants footballing control, so I imagine the same old businessmen will remain in charge, but a yes-man will be brought in to be 'Director of Football' in name only, while things continue as normal.

We won't have additional funds to match City by any stretch, but best-case scenario we might get a slightly improved spend this summer to paper over the cracks and make Jimbo look good (until we realise that money came from next summer's spend, next summer).

Basically it's great news! If you're a Glazer.
Haven't we outspent City over the last decade? Honestly if Ratcliffe just gives a modicum of a toss about us then it'll be a significant improvement.

GoldanoGraham

This hasnt actually gone through yet and may not go through if the board vote against it or the EPL block it.

If it does go through we wont really know how the club will be affected until Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE releases some kind of statement outlining his plans for it.
Don’t expect anything concrete until the weekend.

I’m assuming that the board meeting is in the US on Thursday? Also - would any decision have to be run through the NYSE Friday morning (midday UK) before any announcement is made as the announcement will have a significant impact on the share price?

After all that then a joint statement may be released but again I would expect no significant Ineos statements until the share sale process has taken place. That could take us up to Xmas easily.

Anyone thinking Jim and his fellowship will be rocking into the club in the next week or so to start cracking the whip, buying and selling players and firing incompetent incumbents is going to be disappointed.

As this process has shown, nothing moves that fast.

Castia

I’ve seen fans not happy with him. They finished top 4 three times in four years before the take over. They’ve been mid table since.

Stop acting like Nice was on their knees they were performing better before the takeover there’s no getting around it.

We’re currently linked with Paul Mitchel….is it 2018? Typical United 5 years behind the curve he’s been doing a shit job at Monaco.

Last edited:

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
Haven't we outspent City over the last decade? Honestly if Ratcliffe just gives a modicum of a toss about us then it'll be a significant improvement.
The Glazers have spent more than City on their stadium, on their scouting department, on their training facilities, on their youth academy, on the area surrounding the stadium??? No, they haven’t.

LordSpud

Chaos is good for people who want to exploit and make more money.
As shown by Goldbridge and most fan channels. They thrive off of negativity. For all his ranting and raving about wanting Qatar, ultimately for his channels growth (and his own pockets) this is the best thing that could've happened.

Remember when Arsenal were bad and AFTV was must see every week? Now you hear nothing of them.

OleGunnar20

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...-proposal-change/id1488521447?i=1000631492605

Interesting podcast from the Athletic. Quite informative.

They say that the Qataris actually met the Man Utd executive hierarchy and were very warm with them, as opposed to INEOS who were very critical of how the club has been run. They also say that this week "I think there'll be several people in Man Utd senior leadership feeling very fearful for their future" with Adam Crafton saying that INEOS lot made it clear that they didnt rate the United hierarchy.
Ayye that was a really good listen. If they're not talking complete hot nonsense then it gives me some encouragement for Jim's possible influence going forward. A shake up of the staff running the footballing operation is what we desperately need. Let's get some experts in there.

:lol:
Feck them all into the sea.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
???

Who said anything about him being a minority investor? Obviously the point I made is he could have focused on buying out the Glazers 69% and left buying out minority investors for a later date.
The Glazers are not selling all of their 69% so by definition that means you are a minority investor as SJR will be

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The Glazers have spent more than City on their stadium, on their scouting department, on their training facilities, on their youth academy, on the area surrounding the stadium??? No, they haven’t.
Transfer spend was being referenced so that was what I mentioned, precisely because it's the lack of care the Glazer's showed in the wider club that's put us in the mess we're in, but could say they were "supporting the manager" because transfer funds were available.

sengineer

This is further proof that the Glazers are termites and that we are doomed with them as owners. Possibly could also be proof that we really cannot trust anything in the media related to the sale. But this one below makes more sense with the news that an INEOS 25% stake still gives the Glazers majority control. They fooled everyone announcing a sale; with the whole family living off this club, they are NOT going anywhere unless a $10billion offer came through.

How the Qatari bid to buy Man Utd angered the Glazers
Sheikh Jassim's bid to take over Manchester United started on the wrong foot after he angered the Glazers by saying he wanted to return the club to "former glories", according to the Daily Mail.
The report claims the Qatari bid to buy Man Utd, one many thought would be successful, never recovered after the statement was made following initial offers.
"To say that comment did not go down well with the Glazers would be an understatement," it adds.
The Raine Group, the American merchant bank overseeing the talks for Man Utd, warned bidders to keep their mouths shut in what was interpreted as a "direct shot" at the Qataris.
Sir Jim Ratcliffe, the only other serious bidder, appears to be on the verge of finalising a deal to take 25 per cent of the club.

garelo

How come someone who only owns 25% of shares is taking control of sporting operation?

macheda14

It valued the company significantly less from what I read.
Where did you read this? The current bid values the club at 5.2 billion. Jassim offered 5 billion.

I need to find the source for this, but this current structure sets a cap at which the stock price can grow for SJR to buy the rest out from the glazers and also a floor at which the Glazers can initiate a sale so that they don’t lose money, but also SJR doesn’t have to buy at a huge premium if the clubs value increases.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How come someone who only owns 25% of shares is taking control of sporting operation?
Because there is no direct link between who is a managing director and how many share you own. It's all about who shareholders believe benefit the asset they own or whether they actually want to deal with day to day activities. As an example Joe Lewis doesn't control sporting operations at Tottenham, it is his associate who owns 30 percent of the club.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The INEOS bid eventually works out more.
This is what I don't understand.
Ineos pay 1.3 and buy 25%, does that not equate to 5.2 for the 100%, and yet Ineos value the club at 7.0..?
Yet, apparently, Qatar have already bid beyond that figure of 5.2, and for a Cash sale.

I'm not grasping the arithmetic, Unless the initial 25% is valued lower than the remaining 75%.... :rolleyes:

garelo

Because there is no direct link between who is a managing director and how many share you own. It's all about who shareholders believe benefit the asset they own or whether they actually want to deal with day to day activities. As an example Joe Lewis doesn't control sporting operations at Tottenham, it is his associate who owns 30 percent of the club.
But who will control the budget?

putzmcgee123

Where did you read this? The current bid values the club at 5.2 billion. Jassim offered 5 billion.

I need to find the source for this, but this current structure sets a cap at which the stock price can grow for Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE to buy the rest out from the glazers and also a floor at which the Glazers can initiate a sale so that they don’t lose money, but also Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE doesn’t have to buy at a huge premium if the clubs value increases.
Adding to this, Reuters have got Ratcliffe's offer valuing the club's equity at $6.5B USD (~£5.35B). That figure does not factor in the debt. I recall seeing from a few sources that Jassim's bid valued the club at slightly over $6B USD enterprise value (thus including the net debt of > $600M). This means the INEOS offer used a significantly higher valuation.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I’ve seen fans not happy with him. They finished top 4 three times in four years before the take over. They’ve been mid table since.

Stop acting like Nice was on their knees they were performing better before the takeover there’s no getting around it.

We’re currently linked with Paul Mitchel….is it 2018? Typical United 5 years behind the curve he’s been doing a shit job at Monaco.
I'm not acting like anything - I'm calling out mindless daft exaggeration like "everything he touches turns to shite".
And another exaggeration from you - "shit job at Monacao", "5 years too late", fecking hell.

I bet you cant name a well experienced footballing head without a patchy record.

Mainoldo

I'm not acting like anything - I'm calling out mindless daft exaggeration like "everything he touches turns to shite".
And another exaggeration from you - "shit job at Monacao", "5 years too late", fecking hell.

I bet you cant name a well experienced footballing head without a patchy record.
How many trophies does he have on is C.V. Let’s compare that to others.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
For those against Qatar due to state ownership - understand that until we know for sure Sir Jim has an air tight agreement for eventual full control - United will likely be state owned anyway down the line if the Glazers really believe the club can reach a higher valuation (8-10B). You’re just delaying the inevitable. At the above figure, only so many can afford the club. Not that many can afford now under the Glazers current valuation.
Maybe that’s why Jim returned the application to pay once payment now and the rest in 3 months easy payments

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
How many trophies does he have on is C.V. Let’s compare that to others.
Not his remit at Southampton, Tottenham and Monaco though, is it?

Southampton and Spurs did have their highest finishes in Premier League history when he was at the club, and Monaco if I'm not mistaken were top when he left (though I could be wrong, and his Monaco stint wasnt all roses to say the least).

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
You are definitely a City fan, and that’s OK
Haha, you’re deluded and patronising because I’m not - so keep your poorly targeted insults to yourself.
In fact I’ve been to watch football at Old Trafford, 20 odd times down the years as jollies paid for by contractors that I’ve worked with (attended OT many more times than most Utd supporters) but have only ever attended the city of Manchester stadium complex to watch a running event at a little stadium to one side of the main because a friends daughter was competing.

Anyhow, no worries, as a bloke without a dog in the fight it amuses me that you blithely presume that anyone who followed the development of ffp (what its actual purpose was and why it didn’t clamp down on debt) and who understands that a million charges doesn’t equal one conviction, must be a dyed in the wool bluenose.

My advice is that you should give your head a wobble but don’t lose the smile ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.