g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
No need to apologise. Let me explai.

I don't assume he cannot do business aged 71. That wasn't my point.

It has been reported that he wants a legacy. As he is in his seventies time is against him.

If he were younger I would expect him to be able to play a longer game and take advantage of the fact that the Glazers are running out of the club's money. Rather than accept the current unsatisfactory part purchase.

He will want full control. My issue is that I have less than zero faith in the Glazer family, and I can see them both pushing a hard bargain and resorting to underhand tactics, regardless of any agreement, to try and wring every cent out of a new owner .
Life expectancy for a 70 year old in the UK is 86. That's 16 years, almost the length of time the Glazers have owned the club. Given that he's a billionaire in seemingly good health, it's not unreasonable to expect him to be around even longer than that.

Plenty of time to create a legacy.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Life expectancy for a 70 year old in the UK is 86. That's 16 years, almost the length of time the Glazers have owned the club. Given that he's a billionaire in seemingly good health, it's not unreasonable to expect him to be around even longer than that.

Plenty of time to create a legacy.
I hope you are right. If and when Ratcliffe gets to 50.1% ownership I will be much more relaxed and positive.

AneRu

This is what I don’t understand. Use the additional £800 million to get the bid accepted.

He could have then stated that the greed of the Glazers means that Stadium plans etc would be put on hold for a year or two.
His plan seems/seemed centred around turning the fans against the Glazers instead of getting the Glazers to come around. There were two Glazer hold outs, he could have used the exact amount of money he offered to get to the other Glazers and shareholders on the NYSE, agree something on the weighting of the Class B shares held by Avram and Joel and still got control with a view to a full takeover down the line.

Guess he never really had the money because if the Saudis can co-own Newcastle United with a few placeholders the Qatari could surely do. Just buy 80% of the club, negotiate something with J and A on how the club would be run and move in. That there weren't willing to be flexible and cared too much about how they were perceived to be not overpaying shows they weren't serious at all.

So it's credit to Jim for having the patience, flexibility and cooperative spirit to stay at the table with the Glazers and thrash something out. J and A have been absentee landlords who have allowed their executives to blow away a billion of their money on utter rubbish, they surely would have allowed Jassim the free hand to do what he wanted with his own money just as long as their shareholding grew which it would naturally as a result of who we are and the investments pledged by the NTF.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
So it's credit to Jim for having the patience, flexibility and cooperative spirit to stay at the table with the Glazers and thrash something out. J and A have been absentee landlords who have allowed their executives to blow away a billion of their money on utter rubbish, they surely would have allowed Jassim the free hand to do what he wanted with his own money just as long as their shareholding grew which it would naturally as a result of who we are and the investments pledged by the NTF.
It’s credit to Ratcliffe for throwing the Glazers a lifeline when they were on their fecking knees and prolonging their stay leeching off Utd…?

FFS Utd fans are through the looking glass with this.

AdNani

If he’s bringing in Blanc and Mitchell then it’s a massive step in the right direction, especially Mitchell. Who in terms of recruitment is a massive upgrade on Murtough

Acquire Me

If he’s bringing in Blanc and Mitchell then it’s a massive step in the right direction, especially Mitchell. Who in terms of recruitment is a massive upgrade on Murtough
Blanc got a really interesting profile as well. Very exciting weeks to come.

Tiber

If these do come in Murtaugh and Co need to be fired, not just shuffled into other roles. We need a clean break from the past

Tender Teacher

If I read Ratcliffe and his approach towards this deal correctly, he's essentially dangling his tarted up bollocks in front of the Glazers' faces, saying "If you want this delicious treat, you gotta shake a little for daddy too."

Essentially, his offer of significant cash for shares plus further investment towards infrastructure is so much better than anything else the Glazers have on the table, they'll fall head over heals into also accepting the plethora of clauses and stipulations he'll tack onto the offer.

AneRu

It’s credit to Ratcliffe for throwing the Glazers a lifeline when they were on their fecking knees and prolonging their stay leeching off Utd…?

FFS Utd fans are through the looking glass with this.
He read the situation and decided to be flexible to get a deal across the line. What I am praising him for is the willingness to be flexible and also play the long game. Jassim could have done the same - prolong their stay whilst taking control but he chose to widen the wedge between the Glazers and the fans which set him in negative light from the get go.

Greck

Wouldn't actually be shocked if talks around the division of power (around the football side) turns out even longer than the money talk. Unless it turns out the glazers are ready to give up effective control I'm seeing breakdowns and deadlocked negotiations before getting to a final resolution. Giving up too much power plummets the value of their ownership for a future full sale.

It feels they really did think JR or other bidders would give them all that money only for the prestige of owning a couple shares. So maybe they also think someone will also give them 10 billion for a share with little to no actual control. Hopefully there are details we just don't know about, because without it this whole arrangement feels baffling.

Last edited:

gaffs

It’s not a silly point.

He’s being talked about as though he’s definitely a better owner - from a footballing success POV - than the Glazers, yet he’s actually less successful than them.

It’s very reminiscent of the Moyes hype imo… Someone who has absolutely no success in what they’re being tasked to do being spoken of as though it’s a given they’ll succeed and anyone pointing out that they’ve never done anything to suggest they’re capable of the task is laughed at or shouted down. ‘Groupthink’, I think it’s called.
Has anyone said that its a given than Ratcliffe and INEOS will succeed?

Does $300m of initial infrastructure investment and the plan to create a modern footballing structure with competent and experienced football people in charge seem more appealing than zero investment from The Glazers and making a football administrator your DoF?

I know you're on a wind up, but winning more cups than most other clubs, doesn't make The Glazers good owners.
£1bil net spend in 10 years with only an FA Cup, a League Cup and a Europa League to show for it. That fact alone shows they are just about the worst owners in football.

It’s also being talked about that the Glazers will just ‘hand over sporting control’ of the entire club to him with a minority stake.

Why would they do that when he has less experience and success than them in football!? Wouldn’t that be potential business suicide? What if he’s crap at it? It’s ludicrous. And it’s blatantly obvious when you actually think about it logically that they will ALWAYS hold veto power over him for that reason.
As we know, they want to cash out, either totally or partially. The man that is facilitating that wants sporting control. Quite honestly, i don't think they care as long as they get paid out.

As i said above, with a billy spent and little to show for it, maybe the penny has dropped that The Glazers don't know what their are doing. Perhaps they see others are succession with far less money spent.

‘Because Paul Mitchell’, seems to be the popular mantra, but then, why don’t the Glazers just hire Paul Mitchell?
They’re free to do so.
They could of, but decided to hire Murtough. Says it all about their football knowledge.

19Dan81

Everything is on the table in terms of outcomes until the process officially ends. There's games and meta games going on and the inexperience of the British sports media covering deals this magnitude is showing.

- There was a reason for "Strategic Alternatives" and it's far from clear how this minority offer serves an outcome that satisfies all parties and a year-long process.
- Darcie, Edward, Kevin and Bryan all want a full sale and preferably yesterday.
- Nine Two Foundation briefed Fabrizio Romano of all people to tell the sports world he's pissed off with the Glazers and walking away and the unofficial line from the camp is that they're out. Wall Street doesn't seem convinced in the absence of an official press release considering our share price.

I believe the Romano story was a deliberate acquisition strategy to force the Glazers to entertain this ridiculous minority offer from Ratcliffe knowing that the Glazers ultimately want a full sale (at least four of them do). I think Jassim is calling their bluff so that they see the reality of not having a full buyout on the table thus re-focusing the minds of the Glazers and re-balancing the nature of negotiations forcing the Glazers to pick up the phone to bring Jassim's camp back to the table.

I don't see how Jassim's consortium could bring this process to a conclusion any other way. If they offered more money there wasn't a guarantee the Glazers would accept due to them always wanting more. With the current strategy it forces the Glazers to initiate contact to make a deal. This is far from over, I feel.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Everything is on the table in terms of outcomes until the process officially ends. There's games and meta games going on and the inexperience of the British sports media covering deals this magnitude is showing.

- There was a reason for "Strategic Alternatives" and it's far from clear how this minority offer serves an outcome that satisfies all parties and a year-long process.
- Darcie, Edward, Kevin and Bryan all want a full sale and preferably yesterday.
- Nine Two Foundation briefed Fabrizio Romano of all people to tell the sports world he's pissed off with the Glazers and walking away and the unofficial line from the camp is that they're out. Wall Street doesn't seem convinced in the absence of an official press release considering our share price.

I believe the Romano story was a deliberate acquisition strategy to force the Glazers to entertain this ridiculous minority offer from Ratcliffe knowing that the Glazers ultimately want a full sale (at least four of them do). I think Jassim is calling their bluff so that they see the reality of not having a full buyout on the table thus re-focusing the minds of the Glazers and re-balancing the nature of negotiations forcing the Glazers to pick up the phone to bring Jassim's camp back to the table.

I don't see how Jassim's consortium could bring this process to a conclusion any other way. If they offered more money there wasn't a guarantee the Glazers would accept due to them always wanting more. With the current strategy it forces the Glazers to initiate contact to make a deal. This is far from over, I feel.
This was my thinking 3-4 weeks ago. By jassim backing out, it was to force glazers hands to make a decision.

But after Mark Kleinman said, it's Ratcliffe bid which will be confirmed in 2 weeks time I think it's time we accept the reality, even if he didn't speak about Jassim walking away.

19Dan81

This was my thinking 3-4 weeks ago. By jassim backing out, it was to force glazers hands to make a decision.

But after Mark Kleinman said, it's Ratcliffe bid which will be confirmed in 2 weeks time I think it's time we accept the reality, even if he didn't speak about Jassim walking away.
"The deal is expected to be announced within a fortnight, although negotiations between Sir Jim's team and the Glazers are ongoing, meaning that the timetable for an announcement remains subject to change."

His exact words.

gaffs

Its over for Qatar. Some may say it never even started.

Andy_Cole

Same

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

this story actually makes. Even if you are wrong i see logic in it

Andy_Cole

90+10 S.Jassim

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

This feels like a fanfic where we sign Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar in their prime.

I think the deal is done and Qatar are out. If not, it'll make that Barca win versus PSG looked like a boring run-of-the-mill outcome.

George The Best

Nah, it’s down to the Glazer’s and Sir Jimmy Brexit now. Not sure what’s in it for Sir Jimmy or the club, but that’s where we are now. Glazer’s have had 12 months to find somebody, anybody, to meet their ridiculous valuation. As in most things - they’ve failed.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I saw Sheikh Jassim with a copy of gta 6 at Tesco yesterday.

He said "nobody will believe you" then he put on shades and moonwalked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.