Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zed is not dead

Whos this Jean-Claude Van Blanc guy?
He’s a concrete, concrete possibility.

Apart from that he was Juve’s deputy CEO between 2005 and 2011, where he oversaw the club’s going back to Serie A and the new stadium.

He then became deputy CEO of PSG when QSI bought them up until last year, when he joined Ineos.

He’s supposedly a great executive director. He’s the one responsible for PSG’s worldwide growth as a brand. The caveat for me is that while PSG is a case study in commercial success, when you look at the sporting side of PSG they’re probably the only club that has been more of a shit show than us.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Apart from that he was Juve’s deputy CEO between 2005 and 2011, where he oversaw the club’s going back to Serie A and the new stadium.

He then became deputy CEO of PSG when QSI bought them up until last year, when he joined Ineos.

He’s supposedly a great executive director. He’s the one responsible for PSG’s worldwide growth as a brand. The caveat for me is that while PSG is a case study in commercial success, when you look at the sporting side of PSG they’re probably the only club that has been more of a shit show than us.
Interesting. So while everyone is slagging off PSG as an example of a qatari footballing failure and a cautionary tale; Ratcliffe seems ok with hiring the head executive of that failure.

His key achievements were in the commercial area... Hmmm.

The irony. A french Arnold

Zed is not dead

Interesting. So while everyone is slagging off PSG as an example of a qatari footballing failure and a cautionary tale; Ratcliffe seems ok with hiring the head executive of that failure.

Well on paper yes…
However he is regularly lauded as a very good administrator and knows how to run projects or businesses.
He might come good, but only at the condition that he has the power to do so. And this is something that’s clearly not the case today at United, with Glazers still having to sign off on every single decision.

During his stint in Paris he had Nasser who is an abysmal CEO. At United, he’ll face a not too different situation with the Glazers.
At PSG with supposedly good DOFs (Antero Henrique, Leonardo, Campos), the club still looked to have no real plan and to this day remains as clueless as we are.

I’d like to believe that a pairing of Blanc and Mitchell would work here, but to me as long as Glazers keep meddling in the running of the club, I don’t have much hope.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
What exactly Paul Mitchell has achieved that everyone is basically twerking for him? This guy name comes up every year for our DOF role

sglowrider

I’d like to believe that a pairing of Blanc and Mitchell would work here, but to me as long as Glazers keep meddling in the running of the club, I don’t have much hope.
The Glazers are no dummies. They get people to front it without losing control whilst making a billion plus off the deal.
It's a win-win situation for the Glazers.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Although PSG are not exactly a role model we want to copy, they have been in the CL Final and 2 semis in recent years, we have struggled to even qualify half the time - so not sure on what basis they are more of a shit show than us

Links to Blanc and Mitchell is just speculation at the moment, but they are undoubtedly better qualified names than Arnold & Murtough who are effectively internal hires for us with no footballing track record elsewhere

Yorke to Cole

Murtough has done some good work with the youth system and the Women's team. Arnold... well we will just leave it there I think.

sglowrider

Murtough has done some good work with the youth system and the Women's team. Arnold... well we will just leave it there I think.
I can see letting Murtough go before Arnold.

Arnold oversaw the 2 biggest commercial deals for United despite our crappy position in the football arena.

Murtough on the other hand, will always be tainted by his flexibility in allowing ETH to get his Eredivisie Alums and the current state we are in.

The Glazers arent as concerned about the footballing side as they are about the financial/commercial sides of the business. Thats why if this complicated deal is to happen its because of that very attitude.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They’ve been through multiple managers, signed a load of shit 33 year old+ PL rejects and are finishing mid table every season. They’ve had a good start this year no doubt but there’s a long way to go to overturn 3-4 years of shite in 10 games

You have to ask why he hasn’t invested to boost their chances of CL football? He shouldn’t need to spunk 500m into Nice to be in and around the top 4 in France just look at the clubs who got European spots last season

I’ll judge him when the season is over my money is on them failing and finishing in and around 7-8th yet again
Because you have to legally comply within FFP. Which was heavily impacted with COVID. And to do it sustainably. You don't always get every decision right, but it's important to act fast and learn from it.

Also, 4 years is nothing from the perspective of an owner. The first 5 years there is a lot of restructuring until you find a setup that works so you can build for the 5-10 year mark where your stamp on the club should be bearing fruit.

This isn't a sugar daddy who breaks every financial rule to push the club up. It's a strategy to smartly and sustainably improve the club. And that's what I've always wanted here. feck the idea of sugar daddy owners.

TheRedHearted

Although PSG are not exactly a role model we want to copy, they have been in the CL Final and 2 semis in recent years, we have struggled to even qualify half the time - so not sure on what basis they are more of a shit show than us

Links to Blanc and Mitchell is just speculation at the moment, but they are undoubtedly better qualified names than Arnold & Murtough who are effectively internal hires for us with no footballing track record elsewhere
Company behind Brighton's owner is what matter for them. So noway Unless Ratciffe buy Brighton too
How so? So it’s not the people they’ve appointed, it’s the company that appointed those scouts but they had to get the job done

Redivy

Is he the best we can get, or is there better?
In terms of DoF out there, he is easily the best we can get. Most of the top DoF are very very entwined with their clubs (example: Zorc at Dortmund, Moratta at Inter), and so are ungetatable, but then you have a few which have paved their way through various levels of football such as Paul Mitchell, Ralf Rangnick, and Lucas Campos, and these are the ones United should be able to bring over. Obviously we know Rangnick didnt work out as coach but his suggestions on transfers (Enzo Fernandez, Julian Alvarez and Josko Gvardiol) show the knowledge a DoF can bring to the club.

On Paul Mitchell, you are getting someone who is based out of Manchester, so if all goes well, he should be content at staying at United for the long term and he would obviously understand what type of club the fans expect United to be. But the most impressive, and important thing Mitchell has is his experience throughout different leagues. He has experience in the lower English leagues with MK Dons, he has Premier League experience with Southampton and Tottenham during their most successful years in the past two decades, and then he has continental experience with Leipzig in Bundesliga and Monaco in Ligue 1.

So you would hope he would have built the necessary channels to boost our recruitment both seniors and juniors.

The one thing he would need to prove is whether he can excel in recruitment for star players in their prime years, as he favours targeting mainly younger players who are still trying to prove themselves. Whilst this is great and will make for exciting signings, at Manchester United you need to learn how to balance the signing of younger players and players who can win you titles instantly.

Redivy

He'd be a CEO and so we probably would want him to be more commercially inclined and leave the footballing decisions to the DoF. Before Van Der Sars health scare, he would have been my number 1 option for the CEO role but now that he is out of contention, we would be making a sensible decision to bring in Van Blanc as he is very good at navigating a messy situation, he did just that whilst at Juventus and then at PSG.

At PSG, he was overridden by whatever Al-Khelaifi wanted to do.

sglowrider

Because you have to legally comply within FFP. Which was heavily impacted with COVID. And to do it sustainably. You don't always get every decision right, but it's important to act fast and learn from it.

Also, 4 years is nothing from the perspective of an owner. The first 5 years there is a lot of restructuring until you find a setup that works so you can build for the 5-10 year mark where your stamp on the club should be bearing fruit.

This isn't a sugar daddy who breaks every financial rule to push the club up. It's a strategy to smartly and sustainably improve the club. And that's what I've always wanted here. feck the idea of sugar daddy owners.
We can be smart about everything we plan and execute. But the noose or anchor that will weigh United down will be the ever-increasing costs of the debt. The longer it's not addressed the more likely United becomes restricted in its ability to operate -- and in the long run, a financially unviable club to own.

That's when you need sugar daddies richer than Ratcliffe to come in. (And I define Ratcliffe as a sugar daddy of sorts since he is paying way over the odds to own part/all of United.)

If Ratcliffe's turnaround plan fails in 5-10 years ' time, it will be inevitable an uber-billionaire or a sovereign fund will have to buy up United for it to be 'sustainable' as an operation.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It’s got to be the Brighton crew… second ratcliffe is in it should be the first phone call…. Take them all.
Chelsea already tried that.

Brighton's owner is the main man there, he's the one who has built the system that everything is built on. His data analytics company is probably the best in the world, and it's that which allows them to have such a great success rate with players and managers. They simply have access to a level of information that nobody else has. In theory that also means that the rest of the backroom staff should be standouts in their roles as well, but it's made much easier in their system.

sglowrider

Chelsea already tried that.

Brighton's owner is the main man there, he's the one who has built the system that everything is built on. His data analytics company is probably the best in the world, and it's that which allows them to have such a great success rate with players and managers. They simply have access to a level of information that nobody else has. In theory that also means that the rest of the backroom staff should be standouts in their roles as well, but it's made much easier in their system.
The same can be said for Brentford's owner and his data analytics-driven approach to decision-making in football
Matthew Benham

The question is whether this approach can be used on the big clubs that will need the branded 'stars' to generate commercial activities and revenues -- which will be a compromise.

OleGunnar20

The glazers are all surely getting on now right? That rat-tailed creature who skulks about old Trafford once a decade looks about 200 for a start.

What I don't understand about these people is, sure, maybe the club will be worth 30% more in a few years. Great, but what difference will an extra few hundred million on top of the existing few hundred million make to the lives of them, their children, grandchildren and likely many generations after? The greed is just mind boggling to me.

They are goblins basically. They'd rather be 80 with an extra 200m in the bank than limber young 76 year olds making do with their existing horde of ill gotten gains.

I think it's gross.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The glazers are all surely getting on now right? That rat-tailed creature who skulks about old Trafford once a decade looks about 200 for a start.

What I don't understand about these people is, sure, maybe the club will be worth 30% more in a few years. Great, but what difference will an extra few hundred million on top of the existing few hundred million make to the lives of them, their children, grandchildren and likely many generations after? The greed is just mind boggling to me.

They are goblins basically. They'd rather be 80 with an extra 200m in the bank than limber young 76 year olds making do with their existing horde of ill gotten gains.

I think it's gross.
The main two (Avram and Joel) are 'only' 63 and 56 respectively.

Most people, no matter how rich they get, will still want to get richer. It's the unfortunate reality.

flappyjay

The same can be said for Brentford's owner and his data analytics-driven approach to decision-making in football
Matthew Benham

The question is whether this approach can be used on the big clubs that will need the branded 'stars' to generate commercial activities and revenues -- which will be a compromise.
This buying branded stars of late is stupid anyways. Our most commercially viable stars were made superstars at old Trafford. Beckham, Ronaldo, Rooney became internationally recognisable at United. Maybe is time we get back to that model.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
it’s his actual job role, that’s a start.
Frank Lampard’s job role is “manager”, it doesn’t mean a huge amount when he has little to show for it.

I agree with everyone raising concerns over Mitchell, he’s seemingly had great PR over his quality in the role but if you look into his history in the role I’m not seeing much in he way of achievements.

Pes6Monster

I agree with everyone raising concerns over Mitchell, he’s seemingly had great PR over his quality in the role but if you look into his history in the role I’m not seeing much in he way of achievements.
He's done some good scouting for clubs like Southampton and those awful red bull franchises, but nothing to suggest he's much of a muchness. The Qataris would have hired somebody similar. I think the telling point is United's transfer record and talent scouting has been so abysmal, anyone is an improvement.

Deeply concerning reports that Mitchell attended a Getafe match and was 'impressed' by Mason Greenwood.

It isn't particularly hard to spot Greenwood's talent, but it's hardly the reason he was loaned out, is it? Implies he will take orders from the top to ignore some facts. It's also concerning Ineos would dredge up the matter again.

Surely if their game was so good, Ineos wouldn't need to open that particular shitbox.

Would prefer some clarity into this matter before talking up signings and stadium changes.

This buying branded stars of late is stupid anyways. Our most commercially viable stars were made superstars at old Trafford. Beckham, Ronaldo, Rooney became internationally recognisable at United. Maybe is time we get back to that model.
Ronaldo outgrew United whereas Rooney's appeal was already on the rise after his famous goal versus Arsenal and Euro 2004. He's been on the wane since (sorry).

Beckham I grant you but he's become more famous after United.

If anything, we need players who put playing football and succeeding with United before their want of celebrity. Like Paul Scholes and Roy Keane.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Loon

:lol:
Frank Lampard’s job role is “manager”, it doesn’t mean a huge amount when he has little to show for it.

Who are the obtainable great achievers in this role? Genuine question, as I don't know.

Zed is not dead

They are more of a shit show because of all the stories around the club. Conflict of interests are plenty in the club with agents, families, even the guys in charge of security get a piece of the cake, players being out at night and partying very very often, player power is utterly disproportionate, wages are unbelievably high, etc.
On their sporting achievement, it’s all good on paper but the final they reached was during the COVID format where they only had to face Atalanta who were playing their first campaign and a very young Leipzig, all while facing virtually no competition in Ligue 1, so they’ll qualify easily every year.
They also change managers with different styles as often as United And have no sporting direction or strategy at all.

sglowrider

Agree. But it requires a manager who feels secure, professionally. And testicularaly enhanced

Castia

That's all good but they've yet to prove that. It's been 4 years of bad signings and mid table finished.

This 7 wins in 11 games this season has completely blinded people from the last 4 years its crazy Jim and his cycling crew must be loving it

Marcelinho87

it means a lot when the person currently in the role is has zero experience or qualifications for it.

Plus Mitchell has a CV to back his role up, lamps doesn’t.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That's all good but they've yet to prove that. It's been 4 years of bad signings and mid table finished.

This 7 wins in 11 games this season has completely blinded people from the last 4 years its crazy.
A root and branch restructure doesn't see realized benefits in one or two seasons, you know this right?

Have you considered they're coming out the other side and starting to look better than they ever were? Are you aware of the investments made on the training ground and facilities? I asked you this before and you seemed to ignore the question.

Amarsdd

A root and branch restructure doesn't see realized benefits in one or two seasons, you know this right?

Have you considered they're coming out the other side and starting to look better than they ever were? Are you aware of the investments made on the training ground and facilities? I asked you this before and you seemed to ignore the question.
nahh, if the restructure doesn't lead to a league and CL trophies in the first season then its a "complete failure". Thats how it works!
I'm joking; but I'm 100% certain, when SJR's restructure starts; some of who wanted Qatar will use that criteria.

Castia

Possibly but it was only 12 months ago they were signing Schmeichael, Ramsay and Barkley so they're yet to convince me.

I will have to read into the training ground improvements, I wont knock that if they've improved the clubs facilities then that is a good thing so fair play.

Status
Not open for further replies.