Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castia

nahh, if the restructure doesn't lead to a league and CL trophies in the first season then its a "complete failure". Thats how it works!
I'm joking; but I'm 100% certain, when SJR's restructure starts; some of who wanted Qatar will use that criteria.
They're 4 years in and haven't got out of mid table. They've had a good 10 games and suddenly they're the best run club in world football it seems

Amarsdd

They're 4 years in and haven't got out of mid table. They've had a good 10 games and suddenly they're the best run club in world football it seems
Again who is saying that?? Though they're not the "complete failure" as you had been proclaiming previously.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
it means a lot when the person currently in the role is has zero experience or qualifications for it.

Plus Mitchell has a CV to back his role up, lamps doesn’t.
But what’s his CV actually. If you actually look at it what are his achievements?

From Wikipedia:

Following Milton Keynes Dons' appointment of Karl Robinson as manager in 2010, the club created a recruitment division and named Mitchell as the club's first Head of Recruitment.[17] He was notably responsible for the signing of former England international Alan Smith.[18]

In January 2012, Mitchell joined Championship club Southampton as Head of Recruitment.[19] The club gained promotion to the Premier League in his first season and Mitchell began working with Mauricio Pochettino following his appointment in January 2013. He oversaw the signings of players including Nathaniel Clyne, Maya Yoshida, Paulo Gazzaniga and Steven Davis.[20][21][22][23]

Following Pochettino's move to Premier League rivals Tottenham Hotspur, Mitchell completed his switch in November 2014 to link up with the manager.[24] He helped the club sign players such as Dele Alli, Son Heung-min, Kieran Trippier and Toby Alderweireld.[25][26][27] In August 2016, reports suggested Mitchell was to leave the club "after his dream job turned into a nightmare" and he had fallen out with chairman Daniel Levy.[28] In December, it was revealed Mitchell was serving his 16-month notice period.[29]

In February 2018, Mitchell was named Head of Recruitment and Development by Bundesliga club RB Leipzig.[30] In his first transfer window with the club, Mitchell helped sign Matheus Cunha and Nordi Mukiele, as well as Arsenal youth prospect Emile Smith Rowe on loan. Mitchell attracted interest from several Premier League clubs throughout 2019 and was heavily linked to a move to Manchester United.[31][32] Reports suggested he could be offered an expanded role as Technical Director to oversee Red Bull's global football – including FC Liefering, Red Bull Salzburg and the New York Red Bulls[33]

In June 2020, Mitchell joined Monaco as sporting director.[34][35]
I mean if that’s the highlights of a decade in the role is that really what we are highlighting as “one of the best in the business”. It just seems to me like he has good PR. I bet there is far better people in roles across Europe quietly doing their job to a high standard. Ironically it just seems like classic United going for a big name rather than scouting for real talent.

Castia

Again who is saying that?? Though they're not the "complete failure" as you had been proclaiming previously.

Use whatever terminology you like they've been shit for 4 years

Am I lying? are you going to argue that Ineos have had a good spell at Nice?

It's hilarious to me that 7 wins in 11 games which isn't even all that great has Jim down as a top owner

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It’s got to be the Brighton crew… second ratcliffe is in it should be the first phone call…. Take them all.
It’s not as easy as just taking their DoF and recruiting team, Newcastle already took Dan Ashworth from them who in my opinion is arguably the best DoF around, and Chelsea take a few scouts from them as well as potter. Did it stop them? No, because it all starts with the CEO/Owner and all flows from him.

goalscholes

How so? So it’s not the people they’ve appointed, it’s the company that appointed those scouts but they had to get the job done
Normally, scouting costs a lot of money with no guarantee of profit/ success.

When you own a gambling company, you profit from having better data. It completely shifts the cost benefit ratio in your favour.

What you want is access to their databases, rather than anyone specific in their back room team.

Amarsdd

Use whatever terminology you like they've been shit for 4 years

Am I lying? are you going to argue that Ineos have had a good spell at Nice?

It's hilarious to me that 7 wins in 11 games which isn't even all that great has Jim down as a top owner
You keep saying stuff no one has claimed and arguing against it. They have taken a couple of missteps and what from the outside looks like a ok spell till now. Recent restructing and focus on young players, and new young manager seem to be going in the right direction; but who knows where this will lead to. Like the other poster said, you can't really judge changes like that in a short period of time as it would be for a manager or a player.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Why are people still trying to decipher whether Ineos has done well at Nice up until this point? The answer is no they have not, the only silver lining is that they changed things in 2023 and they are maybe finally doing things properly but it will take a bit of time to determine it, if you look at the larger timeframe they have not done a good job.

Gavinb33

Why are people still trying to decipher whether Ineos has done well at Nice up until this point? The answer is no they have not, the only silver lining is that they changed things in 2023 and they are maybe finally doing things properly but it will take a bit of time to determine it, if you look at the larger timeframe they have not done a good job.
They haven't done a bad job either they've basically kept the status quo, one thing you have to consider as well is pretty early in the takeover it was a covid season that for new owners to navigate would have been a minefield and as you say it looks like they have learned a lesson and are on an upward trajectory

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They haven't done a bad job either they've basically kept the status quo, one thing you have to consider as well is pretty early in the takeover it was a covid season that for new owners to navigate would have been a minefield and as you say it looks like they have learned a lesson and are on an upward trajectory
Hopefully they can keep the status quo here too.

JPRouve

Scout
No, they have done a poor job when you are overlapped by promoted clubs and clubs that were routinely below you, you haven't kept status quo. And it's even worse when you consider that because Nice has recent infrastructures training ground, academy and stadium, the only focus of INEOS was the sport side which was somehow managed by SJR's son and Brailsford.

Rojofiam

@Castia

You don't look for context, you don't look for the truth, you just try to force false narratives that suit your agenda. Nice were never a CL club that regularly featured in that competition other than ONE good season. Ineos' ownership also objectively cannot be considered a failure either.

Their league finishes over the years:
2012/13: 4th (64 points)
2013/14: 17th (42)
2014/15: 11th (48)
2015/16: 4th (63)
2016/17: 3rd (78)
2017/18: 8th (54)
2018/19: 7th (56)
Ineos takeover happens in the summer of 2019
2019/20: 5th (41)
2020/21: 9th (52)
2021/22: 5th (66)
2022/23: 9th (58)
2023/24: 1st after getting 26 points from 12 games, on course for an 80+ point season.

Stagnation, sure. "Complete failure", not even close.

Last edited:

Chumpsbechumps

Anything that takes control of the Glazers is worth exploring. They are unqualified morons who inherited an asset they are incapable of managing.

The way I see it, this deal is the begginning or the end of the glazers. At the very least, SJR actually tried to get some experience running a soccer club before taking over one, that’s worth something.

Not just that , there is more of a chance that SJR will change things up if it’s not working. The muppet glazers just allowed Woodward to do his thing for a decade, making the same mistakes over and over again. I wouldn’t imagine we will be here in 10 years lamenting zero changes to how things are being run if we are doing as poor as we have been.

JPRouve

Scout
@Castia

You don't look for context, you don't look for the truth, you just try to force false narratives that suit your agenda. Nice were never a CL club that regularly featured in that competition other than ONE good season. Ineos' ownership also objectively cannot be considered a failure either.

2019/20: 6th (41)
2023/24: 1st after getting 26 points from 12 games, on course for an 80+ point season.

It's a bit of a sidenote but the pre Ineos takeover is largely impacted by Nice financing their infrastructure investments which isn't the case post Ineos takeover.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Anything that takes control of the Glazers is worth exploring. They are unqualified morons who inherited an asset they are incapable of managing.

The way I see it, this deal is the begginning or the end of the glazers. At the very least, SJR actually tried to get some experience running a soccer club before taking over one, that’s worth something.

Not just that , there is more of a chance that SJR will change things up if it’s not working. The muppet glazers just allowed Woodward to do his thing for a decade, making the same mistakes over and over again. I wouldn’t imagine we will be here in 10 years lamenting zero changes to how things are being run if we are doing as poor as we have been.
That is very much my view as well.

It very much depends on the situation at Nice before Inios became involved. Not just the number of points.
And trying to compare Nice with Manchester United is not really a fair comparison.

Rojofiam

And trying to compare Nice with Manchester United is not really a fair comparison.
I agree, it's just that a certain poster has always been highly critical of Nice but tries to sell PSG as a "well run club" at the same time. :D

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I agree, it's just that a certain poster has always been highly critical of Nice but tries to sell PSG as a "well run club" at the same time. :D
Which certain poster. Don't be afraid to call them out.

Edit. Is he French by any chance.

Castia

@Castia

2019/20: 5th (41)

They have stagnated under a new owner and signed a load of awful players in the process.

It's been a failure. Justify it all you want. If United go on the same trajectory of finishing top 4 followed by mid table it will also be a failure.

They have also bizarrely built a reputation of buying and playing a load of young players which is completely false, not sure where that trend on here has come from its bollocks

Last edited:

Rojofiam

I somehow managed to completely miss the news of Ratcliffe apparently pledging a 2 billion investment into United on top of the amount he's paying for the initial 25% stake.

If true, that's another very promising development in all of this.

Last edited:

Coops73

I somehow managed to completely miss the news of Ratcliffe apparently pledging a 2 billion investment into United on top of the amount he's paying for the initial 25% stake.

If true, that's another very promising development in all this.
I haven’t heard this either unless this a wind up post and I’m just not getting it.

JimiboyX

But what’s his CV actually. If you actually look at it what are his achievements?

From Wikipedia:

I mean if that’s the highlights of a decade in the role is that really what we are highlighting as “one of the best in the business”. It just seems to me like he has good PR. I bet there is far better people in roles across Europe quietly doing their job to a high standard. Ironically it just seems like classic United going for a big name rather than scouting for real talent.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Especially the Southampton ones. Clyne was out of contract and he was getting linked with tons of Prem clubs in the media, including us and other bigger clubs than Southampton if I recall correctly. Gazzaniga and Davis? Come on now.

Also worth noting that Alderweireld was at on loan Southampton when Mitchell left, according to that timeline. Hardly uncovering an unknown gem. Listing the Smith-Rowe loan is hilarious too.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
They have stagnated under a new owner and signed a load of awful players in the process.

It's been a failure. Justify it all you want. If United go on the same trajectory of finishing top 4 followed by mid table it will also be a failure.

They have also bizarrely built a reputation of buying and playing a load of young players which is completely false, not sure where that trend on here has come from its bollocks
They've also signed good young players... you're simply not looking at it objectively. You're taking all of the bad and exaggerating.

putzmcgee123

Pledging to spend a further 2bn when he only owns 25% of the club sounds mental to me. Can only assume he will certainly obtain majority ownership at some point in the next few years?
Exactly. Assuming little Benjamin truly has an exclusive story here and it's not a load of shite, this strongly suggests there is a binding plan to take a majority stake. He's not going to invest an amount greater than what he paid for the 25% stake otherwise.

Matriac

Pledging to spend a further 2bn when he only owns 25% of the club sounds mental to me. Can only assume he will certainly obtain majority ownership at some point in the next few years?
Likely the investments are part of what will lead to him obtaining majority ownership. It's pretty common for investors to offer convertible loans, meaning the club either pays them back or gives them shares to the sum of their loan investment (if the club or the investor decides which of the options happens tend to be set in stone in the contract at the time the loan is issued). Similar things can happen with our existing debt, that either Jim or Ineos takes it over (in stages when they are due) and in return gets more shares. Which instead of issuing new shares (which would dilute the existing ones) can also be handled in the sense that the club buys shares from the Glazers, then turns around and gives them to Jim in return for his investments. This way of doing things should also help with our FFP compared to Jim just giving the money directly to the Glazers. At least that's my understanding.

This business lawyer outlines what is a likely path to what is happening in this thread. Same guy has a bunch of other threads like it with lots of good info.

Loon

:lol:
I think that was his plan all along. He had to get his foot in the Glazer’s door and if the above is true, he’s been underestimated by a lot of people who actually know nothing about what he plans to do (i.e. all of us on here) with United.

Status
Not open for further replies.