Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Member 101269

Are you an Ostrich? :annoyed:
Jassim is a figurehead for a state ownership bid. His dad was prime minister and head of QIA. He is closely related to the Emir. It has everything to do with the bid.
That is conjecture

By close relative, you mean the House of Thani reportedly, in the 1990s, having 20,000 members and the HBJ family line forked from the emir family line in 1880. HBJ had 15 kids, let alone all the other generations across both lines. I'd say closely related to the Emir is complete fantasy.

HJB is reported to have been deputy chairman and CEO, head/chairman was someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Are you an Ostrich? :annoyed:
Jassim is a figurehead for a state ownership bid. His dad was prime minister and head of QIA. He is closely related to the Emir. It has everything to do with the bid.
Care to show any proof of the connection or that QSI and QIA are actually placing the bid?
Or is it - wealthy Qatari = state owned.

Im guessing by that assumption United is owned by the Republican party in the USA, I mean the Glazers did make significant contributions to the Trump administration...

Bosws87

I'll have to see how I feel. At the very least it will hammer a few more nails in the coffin of my love for United. A coffin that the Glazers have been doing a good job of nailing shut already. After supporting them for 55 or so years it is bizarre falling out of love with the club that I used to be obsessed with.
You’re falling out of love with the sport/game and the way it’s going not United directly, easily understandable.

Bosws87

It's a bit presumptious to tell somene else what they think.
Not really, just saying I’ve been there and had similar thoughts and I came to the conclusion it’s the way the sport is going rather than directly United itself.

Not everything has to be a back and forth bicker in this thread.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I'm not saying everyone but I think that you will find that very few people care enough to stop supporting the club if they do buy it. I would rather not have them own United but if they do they do. I think that any billionaire owner is almost certainly scummy as hell as you don't tend to become that rich by being nice and treating people well. Yes there are levels of scummy but all the potential buyers will be in the realms of people I wouldn't want running my club. We currently very much have one in charge at the moment.

No judgement here but what will you do if the Qataris buy United? How will that change your support?
I have already answered this, way back. The answer is no to Quatari state ownership for United. Cannot stand the Glazers, uncertain about Sir Jim. But any of these are acceptable, within the pale, etc. State ownership is a jump from a speeding train and I reject it on moral and practical grounds. Bad for the game. Bad for the club. Will not end well. Anyway, something tells me it might not happen. I hope not. If it does happen, my feeling for the club will not change. But the Quatari-owned entity will not be Manchester United.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
That is conjecture

By close relative, you mean the House of Thani reportedly, in the 1990s, having 20,000 members and the HBJ family line forked from the emir family line in 1880. HBJ had 15 kids, let alone all the other generations across both lines. I'd say closely related to the Emir is complete fantasy.

HJB is reported to have been deputy chairman and CEO, head/chairman was someone else.
You know a lot about this :lol:

Mr. Robot

Who’s saying it should be treated as gospel? He posted a tweet which is an opinion that I share hence me posting it.

That weird boomer @Mr. Robot has some issues with that for whatever reason.
I’m “weird” because I prefer real media sources for my Man Utd news instead of kids making up stuff for attention in their mum’s basement?

I think it says more about you than me that you consider the “Muppetiers” as actual news.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Care to show any proof of the connection or that QSI and QIA are actually placing the bid?

Im guessing by that assumption United is owned by the Republican party in the USA, I mean the Glazers did make significant contributions to the Trump administration...
It’s been done to death already, there’s no point going over old ground especially as it is painfully obvious you will not accept any reasoned argument against your own position, choosing instead to deflect with whataboutery, straw men and false equivalency.

I have no interest in smashing my face on that particular brick wall again, so let’s just say we don’t agree. Have a great day!

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
It's the natural progression of the sport. We can either stick our heads in the sand or find a way to stay relevant in the mid to long term.
Didn't you have some sort of feeder deal with Royal Antwerp at some point?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

Because a) it is Qatar and b) 6 billion quid with an offer of debt free. Even wealthy individuals wants a return on investment even just to pay the loans they have taken out. The money for this is directly or indirectly from the Qatari state, 100% for sure. To think otherwise is naive.

redcucumber

Oh here comes the moral police, right.
Don't be an arse, nothing being discussed above your comment was unreasonable. It's the nature of a forum with lots of contributors that the same topics get discussed repeatedly, particularly as something as significant as this.

Real Name

Don't be an arse, nothing being discussed above your comment was unreasonable. It's the nature of a forum with lots of contributors that the same topics get discussed repeatedly, particularly as something as significant as this.
I was being sarcastic. Its a line used by posters who cant wait for Qatar overlords to take the club.

mctrials23

Ah, so as not to have one's morality be regarded as performative by mctrials23, people that are against Qatar ownership must renounce their support for United in the event that they take us over. It's just that simple!
My opinion on your morality is unsurprisingly irrelevant. I just hate the current trend of expressing horrible outrage at someone and doing absolutely nothing about it other than proclaiming it. The old saying "actions speak louder than words" has been lost on a lot of people.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Because a) it is Qatar and b) 6 billion quid with an offer of debt free. Even wealthy individuals wants a return on investment even just to pay the loans they have taken out. The money for this is directly or indirectly from the Qatari state, 100% for sure. To think otherwise is naive.
Fair enough the cash may have been lent to Jassim or perhaps he does have that much wealth , my point is there is no proof to either one, only assumptions.

It’s easy to say wealthy in Qatar = Qatari gig but we all know that’s not always the case.

For instance that Swedish Billionaire is he bankrolled by Swedish banks? They are immensely wealthy and invest a lot so should we take that as where he got his cash?

I believe it’s well known Jassims cash from bank of Qatar as in he was running it for a while.

But again that has little to do with the lawmakers in Qatar.

Are we to believe that Sheik Jassim himself could walk into the royal palace or whatever and say - you’re changing the entire structure of the country and all your human rights issues etc.

I think it’s overly simplified that someone wealthy from Qatar is responsible or has any connection with human rights violations and what happened to migrant workers.

I do t want to beat a dead horse but I wonder if for example when Nice were being taken over by INEOS their fans were saying - we have this wealthy billionaire Englishman coming in , but I don’t want him because England allow thousands of migrants to die in the English Channel every year and have just started a campaign to solidify that stance, they also broke lockdown protocol several times having opulent parties whilst the nation couldn’t see loved ones.

SJR was part of that and backed Brexit - we don’t want him.

It’s the same approach here.

Maybe in time it will be QIA / QSI but again what does that have to do with any of it. Those entities whilst bankrolled by the Qatar royal family aren’t the face of evil.

Andy_Cole

I love how the anti Qatar posters jump on any anti Qatar/ Islam propaganda by the UK media.

Same posters hating on the BBC for apparently being pro Tory.

Which is it? Whatever suits your agenda right?

Godfather

I see we've come full circle in the discussion again. Better to check out until there's new updates

stevoc

It's a process apparently, they're a developing country yadda, yadda. It was inevitable that despite some improvement standards would deteriorate again once the World Cup was over.

Whatever is cheapest and quickest way within Qatari law to complete construction projects is the way the construction companies will operate. Only the Qatar government can raise the H&S standards and keep them there.

stevoc

Didn't he say he would join the Champions League winner of that year? Bayern was 1 penalty away from getting Hazard and I don't think they would pay that amount.
That was how he announced it after Chelsea won and he agreed to go there, not before.

What happened was he wanted CL football and United looked to be in pole position because Chelsea wasn't an option until they won it and qualified that way as they came 6th that year I think. Don't think Bayern were even in the mix.

Once Chelsea had CL football they gazumped United's offer.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Fair enough the cash may have been lent to Jassim or perhaps he does have that much wealth , my point is there is no proof to either one, only assumptions.

It’s easy to say wealthy in Qatar = Qatari gig but we all know that’s not always the case.

For instance that Swedish Billionaire is he bankrolled by Swedish banks? They are immensely wealthy and invest a lot so should we take that as where he got his cash?

I believe it’s well known Jassims cash from bank of Qatar as in he was running it for a while.

But again that has little to do with the lawmakers in Qatar.

Are we to believe that Sheik Jassim himself could walk into the royal palace or whatever and say - you’re changing the entire structure of the country and all your human rights issues etc.

I think it’s overly simplified that someone wealthy from Qatar is responsible or has any connection with human rights violations and what happened to migrant workers.

I do t want to beat a dead horse but I wonder if for example when Nice were being taken over by INEOS their fans were saying - we have this wealthy billionaire Englishman coming in , but I don’t want him because England allow thousands of migrants to die in the English Channel every year and have just started a campaign to solidify that stance, they also broke lockdown protocol several times having opulent parties whilst the nation couldn’t see loved ones.

SJR was part of that and backed Brexit - we don’t want him.

It’s the same approach here.

Maybe in time it will be QIA / QSI but again what does that have to do with any of it. Those entities whilst bankrolled by the Qatar royal family aren’t the face of evil.
There is no proof it is or isn't. But 100% it is. It is how business is done in the region.

The Qatari bidders aren't even trying to claim it is their own cash. They are getting it (they claim) from a mysterious foundation - The Nine Two Foundation. I wonder who owns that?

And the bidder himself is wealthy (but almost certainly not that wealthy) from his role in QIB which is 50% owned by the Qatari Investment Authority which is part of the Qatari wealth fund. Everything on such a big scale involves the state.

Oh yes - and the QIF already own PSG so they need to distance themselves from the United bid as they would have to sell PSG otherwise.

Last edited:

Rojofiam

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I’m “weird” because I prefer real media sources for my Man Utd news instead of kids making up stuff for attention in their mum’s basement?

I think it says more about you than me that you consider the “Muppetiers” as actual news.
Since when is a man in his mid to late 20’s a kid?

Incredibly boomerish thing to say

dove

Saddest thing is that Qatar was getting condemned by everyone for articles like this before the World Cup...now, though, some will defend them and explain how Qatar is actually a nice place to live in for women and they also treat migrant workers well.
But have you seen Ibra rating Qatar 10/10?

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I'd say that we are almost certainly going to have a Qatari owner, like it or not. But don't delude yourself that the actual owner isn't the Qatari state.

Member 125398

My opinion on your morality is unsurprisingly irrelevant. I just hate the current trend of expressing horrible outrage at someone and doing absolutely nothing about it other than proclaiming it. The old saying "actions speak louder than words" has been lost on a lot of people.
Yeah, much worse than the thing they're complaining about, someone should put a stop to it.

stevoc

I'd say that we are almost certainly going to have a Qatari owner, like it or not. But don't delude yourself that the actual owner isn't the Qatari state.
We can see that many are all to happy to dive head first into that delusion. As it gives them a nice convenient way to ease their conscience.

redcucumber

People have lives to live. You can be against certain things but not want to excommunicate yourself from them entirely. Also, having conversations about these things is doing something about it. Do you expect people with countless daily responsibilities to be out canvassing with placards and organising rallies? You have to get real. I spend hours getting to OT and have spent more than I should have in the process, despite being very much anti Glazer. If Jassim buys us, am I going to suddenly stop going and stop loving United because I'm vehemently against Qatari ownership? Obviously not. It's really not as straightforward as you think it is.

Vapor trail

It's hard to say really I'd have agreed but given the latest round of bids would have assumed Qatar would have blown the competitors out of the water with the conditions of their offer which doesn't seem to be the case.

The only thing that's undermining SJR's bid is the further he has to go in the process of the sale is potentially the more debt he has to endure which most likely will eventually incorporate a figure / ratio that INEOS will be unable or unwilling to compromise with.

As much as we can draw comparisons with Qatar, middle East based ownership of clubs has little to no evidence of support for them overpaying for a football club. I think the fact that the PIF were strongly linked with United a few seasons ago before the Newcastle acquisition and no developments materialising from it despite their accumulation of resources is a good indicator of this.

The biggest positive that's unfortunately pushing the Glazers through with a sale (realistically) has to be the present economic climate (unfortunate part for mostly everyone), the interest rates on the debts, the losses the club has endured and the increased competitiveness financially in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.