Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoony

The People's President
It takes balls to walk away from something you love due to principles. Respect to any fan who can do this.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
To be fair you shouldn’t support or stop supporting a club because of the owners. Supporting United now doesn’t mean you have Glazer posters on the wall. To me supporting United would be boring with. Billions behind us. Overnight we’d be the perfect endgame that the likes of City want to achieve within the next 100 years. The evilness speaks for itself but the sporting side would be fecked.
Bollocks. If Hitler bought United would you continue supporting?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
To be fair you shouldn’t support or stop supporting a club because of the owners. Supporting United now doesn’t mean you have Glazer posters on the wall. To me supporting United would be boring with. Billions behind us. Overnight we’d be the perfect endgame that the likes of City want to achieve within the next 100 years. The evilness speaks for itself but the sporting side would be fecked.

It's very tricky. I started supporting United as a very young kid. Most of what kept me hooked and increased my love for the game, apart from the actual games, has changed hugely. Ownership and the motives for it is a huge change. So owners might just be the tipping point.

oneway

Christ. Stupid take. One of the worst, most dense and poorly thought out takes in this forums history and that's saying something. Your post is impressively stupid and I am impressed.

"Anyone who stops supporting because the club is taken over by evil murdering bastards isn't a real fan". The opposite is true :lol:
This debate is getting ridiculous just make your choice and let others make theirs. So much divide and toxicity, you don’t see this with City Newcastle PSG I think once the ownership has been decided people can decide what they want to do. Most people have read the pros and cons of an ME ownership by now but we’re just regurgitating the same information.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
So there's % of your money you can contribute before you are judged morally.

So the richer you are the more moral wriggle room you have.

Beautiful.
If it was a percentage then you would have the same wriggle room as everyone else

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
To be fair, I'd be surprised if anyone who has amassed a large sum of money, enough to buy a football club the size of Manchester United, doesn't have some skeletons in their closet. It's just which 'evil' you are comfortable with owning our football club.

I don't want our club to be part of the next sportswashing project as much as the next fan, but I don't know if it would be enough to end my support of the club totally. Though I totally respect anyone that sees it as absolutely unpalatable to them to support the club under that type of ownership.

I feel when push comes to shove, most people will eventually come to terms with it and continue to watch the games.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
I’d like to think he wouldn’t pass the fit and proper test.
plus he’s dead so we’re safe..for now
:lol: well it looks like the new owners are going to have a similarly questionable human rights record, unfortunately.

In general I don't give much money to the club these days, but I go to 5-10 games a year with my brother and father. I would find it a real shame to have to stop that tradition now because I don't want to support the new owners financially :(

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
It takes balls to walk away from something you love due to principles. Respect to any fan who can do this.
Would these fans also walk away if Saudi sponsored our shirts this season?

If they are so against sports washing you would think you would have stopped watching the premier league long ago

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
If it was a percentage then you would have the same wriggle room as everyone else
I'm actually a racist, sexist, transphobic homophobe. Luckily, I have no money and donate to none of these causes so I am still going to heaven :devil: :devil: :devil:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
To be fair, I'd be surprised if anyone who has amassed a large sum of money, enough to buy a football club the size of Manchester United, doesn't have some skeletons in their closet. It's just which 'evil' you are comfortable with owning our football club.

I don't want our club to be part of the next sportswashing project as much as the next fan, but I don't know if it would be enough to end my support of the club totally. Though I totally respect anyone that sees it as absolutely unpalatable to them to support the club under that type of ownership.

I feel when push comes to shove, most people will eventually come to terms with it and continue to watch the games.

There are figurative and literal skeletons . Exploiting labour is morally reprehensible; killing journalists is arguably worse.

Compton22

I get this in a way. It's almost like the ultimate cheat code a club of Utd's size and fanbase being state owned. We would be literally unshackled and able to do almost anything transfers, commercially and sports science etc. We would be unstoppable!

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

If they are so against sports washing you would think you would have stopped watching the premier league long ago

Of course not. Why do people only think in absolutes? That's not how humans operate.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Quality control
I'm actually a racist, sexist, transphobic homophobe. Luckily, I have no money and donate to none of these causes so I am still going to heaven :devil: :devil: :devil:
You supported the funders of an apartheid state for 15 years. give over

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Of course not. Why do people only think in absolutes? That's not how humans operate.
So there's like a quantity of money from dodgy streams that puts you off? Like over 5% or 20% of club income?

Compton22

There are figurative and literal skeletons . Exploiting labour is morally reprehensible; killing journalists is arguably worse.
You know what, that probably wasn't the best phrase to use and was no way intentional :nervous:

Wasn't it the Saudis that were accused of killing journalists? Qatar weren't involved in that were they? Not saying that absolves them of the other stuff btw.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
You supported the funders of an apartheid state for 15 years. give over
I am pro Palestine, as most of the site are. You're not as enlightened as you think you are taking this point of view. It's just edgy whataboutism innit.

Spoony

The People's President

No probably not. Ownership is clearly a step too far for some. But yeah the whole game went to the dogs ages ago.

Phil

The Qatari royal family have ordered murders, organized child sexual abuse, human trafficking, electric shock their staff for enjoyment, keep slaves in horrific conditions, regularly screw people over for money....the list is endless.
You have any links to back all this up?

Dion

To be fair you shouldn’t support or stop supporting a club because of the owners. Supporting United now doesn’t mean you have Glazer posters on the wall.
You absolutely should if the owners of the club are using it to enable them to do sufficiently horrible things. Your support should never be unconditional, there have to be some places you draw a line and say "this club no longer represents me well enough to earn my support". I'm not going to judge you or tell you where that line is for you, but it absolutely should exist somewhere.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I am pro Palestine, as most of the site are. You're not as enlightened as you think you are taking this point of view. It's just edgy whataboutism innit.
I can't believe you think you are in a position to call someone edgy. whataboutism...the latest attack line from the woke elite

Dion

So there's like a quantity of money from dodgy streams that puts you off? Like over 5% or 20% of club income?
When the club is directly owned and controlled by a state a line has clearly been crossed, whether you think that's worth ceasing your support or not there's absolutely zero chance you do not see that.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I always get the impression that City are feared rather than really respected/admired by the media and wider football world. The coverage of Liverpool's title win stood in stark contrast to the City wins, where the press coverage always seems less effusive. City's "achivements" just ring a little hollow. I even know a few City fans who feel this way.
Not sure I agree completely, I think City's first Premier League title win had the same effusive reaction as Liverpool's first one. It makes sense when City's more recent title wins have been less than enthusiastic, we saw the same thing when Fergie was winning 3 in a row.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
You know what, that probably wasn't the best phrase to use and was no way intentional :nervous:

Wasn't it the Saudis that were accused of killing journalists? Qatar weren't involved in that were they? Not saying that absolves them of the other stuff btw.

Totally, I'm just saying there are leveis and tipping points. We all do these juggling acts of acceptibility in our heads all the time.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
When the club is directly owned and controlled by a state a line has clearly been crossed, whether you think that's worth ceasing your support or not there's absolutely zero chance you do not see that.
So if Saudi or Qatar only pumped in 40% of revenue it would be fine? Then you can support and clap happily with no guilt?

Compton22

You absolutely should if the owners of the club are using it to enable them to do sufficiently horrible things. Your support should never be unconditional, there have to be some places you draw a line and say "this club no longer represents me well enough to earn my support". I'm not going to judge you or tell you where that line is for you, but it absolutely should exist somewhere.
I wouldn't say that state owned clubs are bought to enable said states to do horrific things. If anything they buy these clubs to paint themselves in a better light and to increase their presence on the global stage. They'd still do the horrible things they do regardless of owning a club or not, unfortunately.

Roario

You won't really be supporting a state financially by going to games/buying kits.
They will be out 6-7 billion from the get-go and unlike sane owners won't care about profits.
Sportwashing on the other hand is a problem.

cyberman

What would owning United enable them to do that they’re not doing already?
United are a huge sporting club but football clubs aren’t that big in a real business sense. Don’t get me wrong, I’d hate oil money but it’s not because of the owners. I’ve already learned to love United in spite of the owners but if the billions that would ruin us as a sporting medium.

Compton22

I can't believe you think you are in a position to call someone edgy. whataboutism...the latest attack line from the woke elite
Stop saying woke elite, it makes you seem insane, or at least typing frantically in a MAGA cap.
staff member (woke elite) upset at me saying woke elite...just can't make it up
Feels like this should belong in the politics thread guys :lol:

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
staff member (woke elite) upset at me saying woke elite...just can't make it up
:lol:

I'm not upset, or elite, you're just lowering the standard of debate. There are proper arguments against my liberal right-on stances, but silly, empty made up catchphrases aren't them..

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Putting aside the human rights problems with Qatar, I am wary of how they've 'run' PSG.

I'd prefer someone with less money but more sense.

Coops73

Is there any connection to the Saudi tourist board sponsorship story being binned and Dúbravka recall?

What I mean to say, and apologies if this has already been mentioned in here, is there any possible connection with Qatar being involved with the purchase? I understand the relationship between Qatar and The Saudis and Abu Dhabi is pretty shit since 2017ish?

Qatar buying United when Saudi and Abu Dhabi are heavily invested in the prem would be quite significant no?

Status
Not open for further replies.