Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
From what I've gathered 80 odd% are on favour on this site. I'm not sure you could trust non United fans not voting in online polls.
I think if we had a "Qatar vs Radcliffe" poll on here it wouldn't be that one-sided, but I might be wrong.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Always worth remembering that public football polls are skewed by votes from people who don't support the club in question
Yet in the same poll 98% of voted for the Glazers to go with only 1.8% voting for minority investment. Surely if this poll was hijacked by rival fans they would've voted for the Glazers to remain?

Fahad Jawaid

I don’t support Harrods.
Their is literally dozens of businesses they own, have you stopped buying from there, because the money goes into their pocket or have you stopped using oil or gas which is bought by your government from them and eventually their evil earnings increase. There is hypocrisy and selective blindness from people.

If they are soo evil, then UK as a whole should bycott them and people living their should protest with the government to stop letting them invest in the economy and stop buying from them. Because eventually you guys are consumers for them.

rajds89

My point was at least some people have a sense of what's right for the club. I know it's just a fan poll for gods sake.

Sigh, yes i will still support the club. I support the club, not the owners. I just have a moral compass, unlike a lot of fan boys around here who only care how much $$$ our new owners will have. It's pathetic.
So just to be clear, despite having a moral compass you will still celebrate all the successes we have in the future off the back of the Qatari money?

Ten Lasso

Why is it up to Manchester United to be the ones to uphold the moral integrity of football? That horse bolted long, long ago.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I am not sure but has the moral argument been discussed yet?

nainaisson

Fans will be more accepting of Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani once they learn he used to be the bass player for The Stone Roses. He's as Mancunian as they come.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
So just to be clear, despite having a moral compass you will still celebrate all the successes we have in the future off the back of the Qatari money?
You can hate the owners while still supporting the club. Most United fans have been in that boat for the last 17 years and it didn't stop fans from celebrating the titles we won over the years. The club is bigger than the owners.

Chairman Steve

I’d be interested to know when that Athletic poll was carried out. Up until about 10 days or so, it was just Ratcliffe/INEOS in the conversation and the likes of Qatar were a bit of an unknown. Only in the last week has the Qatar briefs come out and intensified from there.

Pickle85

My point is the country itself does not stop it and are happy for them to invest and buy oil from them.

There should be protests when they are buying a hotel or a plaza or invest in any entity, but there is not right? Will the people living in their plaza not rent the place because the owners are corrupt or People stop buying from Harrods or employees of the company in which they have invested heavily protest about their owners, I think not. So why is it different?

But what changes exactly when they are buying a football club?
I'm amazed that you can't work out what the difference is between one of the highest profile football clubs, supported by millions around the world, being bought and an anonymous hotel or plaza being bought. Do you not think the level of awareness and media coverage may be just ever so slightly different?

Widow

It's just a poll by a news outlet. I've just listened to the podcast and Whitwell clearly stated it's not a true insight into the United fan base, just an interesting veiw. Nobody is claiming it's the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Tarrou

I think it's unfair to hold sports fans to this standard. If you spend your whole life supporting something, you honestly can't be expected to just switch that off because the "wrong" people purchased it.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
It’s an interesting analysis about the readership of The Athletic, but not a lot else.
Precisely. This ‘survey’ is definitely front-loaded and akin to a ‘causation v correlation’ result, i.e. those who a) like The Athletic’s content, b) can afford to pay the subscription and c) the types to engage in polls in the first place are all likely to be, publicly, anti-anything-deemed-to-be-negative and will proclaim their virtuosity to all who’ll listen.

As you can see from other polls conducted (one even in the thread of the Athletic’s original tweet), the picture emerging is quite a lot of United fans want what’s best for the club and another debt-saddling takeover by Ratcliffe and the banks simply isn’t it.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Fans will be more accepting of Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani once they learn he used to be the bass player for The Stone Roses. He's as Mancunian as they come.
I absolutely promise he was always down the hac, giving it large and gurning his tits off, thats why locally he was known as jibber jaber

Fahad Jawaid

I'm amazed that you can't work out what the difference is between one of the highest profile football clubs, supported by millions around the world, being bought and an anonymous hotel or plaza being bought. Do you not think the level of awareness and media coverage may be just ever so slightly different?
Fine what you say makes sense, point taken

Herman Toothrot

There is literally a direct vote in his replies with 2k plus votes showing Qatar 85% :lol: . British media are shitting themselves.
Why would the British media be shitting themselves? What are you talking about?

Who cares about a twitter poll anyway? Insight from the minds Mason Greenwood apologists. Dog dirt.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
This top red brigade is very tiresome to be honest, how can you decide who is actually a fan. I have been supporting utd since 2003 when I was eleven years old. I have watched every match be it, league cup, champions league or fa cup, Europa League, For most part in Pakistan and now in UAE.

For champions League/Europa matches, they start at 1 am at night and then I used to have school and then so on. Now with the office, it's so difficult to follow matches knowing it will effect your next day at office but I still do but I never miss the match because I love the club soo much and watching utd play is the highlight for me for the week.

If we draw or lose, if effects me throughout the week, or until our next match. And I ensure that I avoid any event, gathering to ensure I watch utd play.

Redcafe is the only place, where I feel comfort talking or hearing the thoughts of other reds after a poor performance.

Bu this stupid generalisation of not being from Manchester or nearby makes us glory hunters or fake fans is tiresome, we love and support the club just as much.
I’m not from Manchester. So this isn’t about me. But of course the local fans matter more. Compare the cost of going to OT every week to us watching it on tv every week.

Compare the cost and commitment and sacrifices to go home and away week after week to watching from our couches.

That doesn’t mean we don’t care or we don’t hurt when they lose or celebrate when they win. It doesn’t mean our mood can’t be impacted if we’re in bad form. But that’s different to taking time off work to go to European away games or struggling in work on a Monday after getting back from an away game in London in the early hours.

I’d like to think if United ended up in the championship or league one, and weren’t on TV every week, I’d still try to get to OT a couple of times a season. But who knows. But you can be sure the millions that tune in every week would dwindle and dwindle as success left the club.

But to the locals, it’s their club, the majority would still be going home and away if United were in the National league.

I’m not saying non locals aren’t proper fans. I’m not saying we care less. But there’s a clear difference between the majority of fans and locals for who United is literally and geographically part of their identity.

Skåre Willoch

Their is literally dozens of businesses they own, have you stopped buying from there, because the money goes into their pocket or have you stopped using oil or gas which is bought by your government from them and eventually their evil earnings increase. There is hypocrisy and selective blindness from people.

If they are soo evil, then UK as a whole should bycott them and people living their should protest with the government to stop letting them invest in the economy and stop buying from them. Because eventually you guys are consumers for them.
We're all hypocrites to some extent - it's literally unavoidable.
I still feel it's different to criticize/be against petro state ownership of the club you support, and to burn and boycott anything Qatari from our personal lives.

I want people to have good and humane working conditions - but I'm typing this on an iPhone.
I want the world to make a proper effort towards stopping climate change - but my own carbon footprint is shocking.
I want Saudi Arabia to stop beheading people in the town square - but I haven't burnt my passport even though the norwegian gov are in bed with the Saudis.

I really want Manchester United to be owned by people with a better moral compass than the Qataris - yet I will still support Manchester United if/when the Qataris take over.

You can indeed criticize something and hope for a different outcome and/or change - even though you still participate in or support things owned by the criticized party.

Fridge chutney

I’m not from Manchester. So this isn’t about me. But of course the local fans matter more. Compare the cost of going to OT every week to us watching it on tv every week.

Compare the cost and commitment and sacrifices to go home and away week after week to watching from our couches.

That doesn’t mean we don’t care or we don’t hurt when they lose or celebrate when they win. It doesn’t mean our mood can’t be impacted if we’re in bad form. But that’s different to taking time off work to go to European away games or struggling in work on a Monday after getting back from an away game in London in the early hours.

I’d like to think if United ended up in the championship or league one, and weren’t on TV every week, I’d still try to get to OT a couple of times a season. But who knows. But you can be sure the millions that tune in every week would dwindle and dwindle as success left the club.

But to the locals, it’s their club, the majority would still be going home and away if United were in the National league.

I’m not saying non locals aren’t proper fans. I’m not saying we care less. But there’s a clear difference between the majority of fans and locals for who United is literally and geographically part of their identity.
Excellent and very true post

Giggsyking

Who's said that.
The fans at the ground who go home and away are obviously worth more. The fans from Manchester are obviously connected to the club more.
He thinks non local united supporters are worth less as supporters. Such an arrogant opinion to alienise hundred of millions of united supporters. When I read his comment I felt disgusted. Why does he think he is worth more than any other supporter? because he goes to the matches to the stadium 10km from where he lives?

I have to spare money every year to travel to the UK to attend one or two matches at OT and it costs me a fortune (folds more than what a local pay for a season ticket) for only two matches not to forget the amount of money we pay for TV to watch the games. This type of opinions is arrogant and condescending, its disgusting.

TsuWave

the Grass isn't always Greener on the other side....remember that if we get sold to an oil state
OK?

What are people supposed to do? There isn’t a ballot like system that allows United fans to vote for the benevolent billionaire of their choosing to acquire the club.

People have protested for like two decades for the club to be sold - surely at some point -recently or otherwise - it must have registered that this was the only/likely outcome with the way football went in 2008

You guys have been clocking double shifts to shame people over something they don’t have control over. Most people have resigned to the reality of things and are just hoping the club will be rid of debt and with some investment made to stadium - academy and general infrastructure - and then left to run itself.

that said, Mbappe on the left

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
OK?

What are people supposed to do? There isn’t a ballot like system that allows United fans to vote for the benevolent billionaire of their choosing to acquire the club.

People have protested for like two decades for the club to be sold - surely at some point -recently or otherwise - it must have registered that this was the only/likely outcome with the way football went in 2008

You guys have been clocking double shifts to shame people over something they don’t have control over. Most people have resigned to the reality of things and are just hoping the club will be rid of debt and with some investment made to stadium - academy and general infrastructure - and then left to run itself.

that said, Mbappe on the left
Correct.

TrueRed79

So you don't understand how supporting a team works. Well done.

Giggsyking

Are you seriously suggesting the Athletic made the results up?
Have you never heard of intentional bias in voting error? it is a tool used for hundreds of years by the media. If I was going to be choosing between Twitter and the athletic "paywall vote" of course I will choose Twitter, at least it is free to give your opinion and not exclusive.

rajds89

You can hate the owners while still supporting the club. Most United fans have been in that boat for the last 17 years and it didn't stop fans from celebrating the titles we won over the years. The club is bigger than the owners.
I agree, I just find it a little hypocritical when someone wants to betray themselves on the moral high ground but still bask in all the glory that comes with such a regime.

So you don't understand how supporting a team works. Well done.
I understand perfectly, I’m just confused by those who will be morally outraged by this takeover and yet will still celebrate when we win off the back of them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Have you never heard of intentional bias in voting error? it is a tool used for hundreds of years by the media. If I was going to be choosing between Twitter and the athletic "paywall vote" of course I will choose Twitter, at least it is free to give your opinion and not exclusive.
:lol: Twitter has so much more noise in their polls from bots, rival fans, engineered votes etc. This is such a nonsense but I'm not going to derail the thread by debating it further.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Great thing about Twitter too is the poll could be easily shared by thousands of fans of rival clubs and shared on rival forums to really get a good idea of what United fans think.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
This all thing showed how much above the rest United is. Nobody is talking about Liverpool's sale. It is all about United. United is the main prize. Sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.