Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It seems to me he’s been handpicked by Qatar to front this bid. There must be lots of rich Qatari United fans - so I’d be pretty shocked if he wasn’t a fan. I think it’s likely the 1992 thing is creative license but I’d be amazed if he wasn’t actually a supporter.
It also shows we will have a genuine fan on the board, somebody that thinks with his heart and not just financially.

That's been the big issue with the Glazers. None of them gave 2 shits about United, it was all about making the best profit.

The Qataris won't skimp and save, they'll get the best option for United whether it's a player, a swimming pool or a chef.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Again, not that it matters but if this guy is claiming to have been United fan since 92 and has been to OT, he must surely have some pictures or videos at OT or in a United shirt (before this season). Maybe we will see another picture leaked but if he's making it all up, just seems a bit weird to be honest.
Sir Jim isn't exactly a regular there either.

Verminator

1991 we beat Barcelona in the European cup winners cup final. It was an exciting time. I don’t see why people are getting their knickers in a twist
Yep. First English team in Euro final after the Heysel ban.
"Always look on the bright side of life" had foreign press gushing about us.
Party times.
Narrowly beaten by Leeds with everyone on the edge of their seats, as to if United could break their 25 hoodoo.

All after a teenager "saved Fergie's job" in an FA Cup run of huge importance.

Pretty sure nobody would notice something like that.

crossy1686

career ending
If the glazers stick to wanting a higher price, I can only see 1 raising their bid and it won’t be JR
You would think the Qatari bid will just keep increasing if that's what it takes to win, it will most likely come down to who the Glazers want to sell to and for what reason if it's ultimately not about the final sale price. Like do they want to still be involved in some capacity or do they want to sell to Americans etc.

NK86

What the PR spin and the 92 thing shows is that they are—to some extent—anxious to bring fans aboard. Sportswash demands good PR, not protests. This is an opportunity—one and maybe only—to say no to this. You can imagine the brainstorming. Can we take the most loved aspect, glory days, and tap into that? It says here in Google ‘Class of 92’. Okay let’s get 92 in the name. Now let’s get a story to go with the bye line. From the corner of the room, the new guy says nervously ‘I have an idea’. Right; we need to tie Sheikh Jassim Bin Hamad Al Thani to the club, and make him sound less like a lawyer and entitled son, and more like a down-to-earth, bona fide football supporter. There’s a pic here of him in the shirt….
Calm down mate. The way you are getting hyper about it, you'll get an aneurysm.

Qatar as a State obviously has a long way to go for many things, but I find it funny you are having a meltdown over the "PR spin" about this Jassim guy being a supporter from 1992. Irrespective of where it's true or not, looks like you've never seen or heard of big businesses doing PR work to boost their image. Even Ratcliffe and Ineos would be doing a bunch of it considering the industry they are in.

Salwan

Quatar are a complete no-no. Nation state sports wash get fecked. This is the club of the Busby Babes. Of Newton Heath. Of Charlton, Law and Best. A club with soul. Ratcliffe sounds not great. Brexiteer, fracking, finger in many pies, Nice, etc. But the bubble will burst. No one knows how long before oil money, sportswash crashes into the law of diminishing returns. Better stay outside the plastic world. Better keep SOME vestige of dignity, while doing our best on the field and in the stands. The PR of both parties, mostly can be taken with a pinch of salt. Therefore I give a reluctant, uncertain, qualified yes to Ineos and Ratcliffe.
100%.
thank you!

Withnail

Apparently the ratcliffe bid is £1billion less than the Qatar bid.
These aren't real bids anyway. They could also be factoring in 100% of the shares which aren't actually up for sale right now as the Glazers only own around 67%.

After the first round they will get a look at the books and things will change. I don't think there's a chance the Glazers are getting the 6 Billion figure they've been bandying about.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Is there any further context in the Athletic piece about Ratcliffe's bid not stating they'll clear the Glazer debt?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I mean as a 10 year old from a different country, it's not that far fetched, is it? How many 10 year old English folks do you know who support Gladbach or Valencia?
I started following United because of hype around Beckham in 2002 world cup. That was the first year i actually watched football and got to know post world cup that there is some english league where he plays. Next few years, Chelsea blew everyone apart in transfer window and results and Beckham left the following year. But it didnt change the club i had decided to follow.

People choose clubs for variety of reason. Arsenal has massive support still around the world and they have been not successful since 2004. Sure success helps but that is not the only reason. I had no idea when i started watching United about its history and success. Sometimes its as simple as a player that you know about plays for that team.

Guess after last decade, you can say maybe they started during success period (not all but a large majority ) but popularity of United all around the world shows that people do stick with their team.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
If that’s true then we have nothing to worry about. The Glazers will sell to the highest bidder no matter what.
Sir Jim could partner with an investment firm like Elliott as an example. These aren’t the final bids

NK86

These aren't real bids anyway. They could also be factoring in 100% of the shares which aren't actually up for sale right now as the Glazers only own around 67%.

After the first round they will get a look at the books and things will change. I don't think there's a chance the Glazers are getting the 6 Billion figure they've been bandying about.
Agree with all of it. The bids will change after seeing the books. This was just throwing in their hats so that they make the initial cut. We'll see how this unfolds.

Loon

:lol:
I would not put it past them to stay, but we could see Everton-style scenes if the Glazers did not sell up now.

They are playing a poker game with our club. They want very last penny. Qatar look like the only ones in the game.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Is there any further context in the Athletic piece about Ratcliffe's bid not stating they'll clear the Glazer debt?
As a result of the Glazers’ leveraged buyout in 2005, as well as credit facilities, the net debt of Manchester United sits at £656million. This would need to be wiped to make the club debt-free, although the club also owes more than £200m in transfer fees.

The Qatari bid on Friday night spelt out an intent to rid the club of debt. They said: “The bid will be completely debt free via Sheikh Jassim’s Nine Two Foundation.”

The Ratcliffe bid made no formal statement about debt but, behind the scenes, it has provided assurances that no “fresh debt” (ie, any money borrowed to acquire United) will be landed onto the club’s balance sheet and will instead be borne by INEOS.

However, the Ratcliffe bid has not said it will wipe existing debt from United, which is, from a communications perspective, tricky to overcome. Debt has been regarded as a dirty word at Old Trafford due to the years of vast repayments that have leaked out of the club to serve the interests of the owners.

The Ratcliffe bid was also unable to clarify whether any interest owed on borrowings to acquire the club would be burdened upon United, although it would be highly unusual for another company to shell out on INEOS’ behalf.

The flipside to this is that it is unusual (to put it mildly) for a multi-billion dollar acquisition to happen without some debt involved. Even Elon Musk, for example, borrowed money to acquire Twitter last year, and in the football world, it is unusual, outside the world of sovereign funds or Russian oligarchs, for deals to not have any financing by debt. Ratcliffe is keen to state that the debt will be his, rather than the club’s.

The Ratcliffe bid insists he does not want to take money out of Manchester United and says he is seeking to achieve a personal ambition of controlling his boyhood team.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

Both bids are for Glazer share only. For other A class share, they dont need to bid to Glazers.

Think the confusion came from the wording of statement. Qatar may have plans for 100% ownership later, but the bid will take all of Glazers shares. Same as SJR. Just in SJR case they might not intend to take the share that is publicly traded. Hence they used “majority “ stake.

Woodzy

The wording was vague, they said no additional debt, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they won’t clear the existing debt.

crossy1686

career ending
Quatar are a complete no-no. Nation state sports wash get fecked. This is the club of the Busby Babes. Of Newton Heath. Of Charlton, Law and Best. A club with soul. Ratcliffe sounds not great. Brexiteer, fracking, finger in many pies, Nice, etc. But the bubble will burst. No one knows how long before oil money, sportswash crashes into the law of diminishing returns. Better stay outside the plastic world. Better keep SOME vestige of dignity, while doing our best on the field and in the stands. The PR of both parties, mostly can be taken with a pinch of salt. Therefore I give a reluctant, uncertain, qualified yes to Ineos and Ratcliffe.
People said this stuff 30 years ago when Sky got involved, just because you can't see where football is going doesn't mean others can't. In 10 years time most teams in the top 6 will be owned by states or billionaires, there may even be some sort of super league by then that replaces the Champions League with a bigger prize pot. A lot of the talk on here reminds me of what my grandad used to say when the TV money came into football, and yet here we are...

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
As a result of the Glazers’ leveraged buyout in 2005, as well as credit facilities, the net debt of Manchester United sits at £656million. This would need to be wiped to make the club debt-free, although the club also owes more than £200m in transfer fees.

The Qatari bid on Friday night spelt out an intent to rid the club of debt. They said: “The bid will be completely debt free via Sheikh Jassim’s Nine Two Foundation.”

The Ratcliffe bid made no formal statement about debt but, behind the scenes, it has provided assurances that no “fresh debt” (ie, any money borrowed to acquire United) will be landed onto the club’s balance sheet and will instead be borne by INEOS.

However, the Ratcliffe bid has not said it will wipe existing debt from United, which is, from a communications perspective, tricky to overcome. Debt has been regarded as a dirty word at Old Trafford due to the years of vast repayments that have leaked out of the club to serve the interests of the owners.

The Ratcliffe bid was also unable to clarify whether any interest owed on borrowings to acquire the club would be burdened upon United, although it would be highly unusual for another company to shell out on INEOS’ behalf.

The flipside to this is that it is unusual (to put it mildly) for a multi-billion dollar acquisition to happen without some debt involved. Even Elon Musk, for example, borrowed money to acquire Twitter last year, and in the football world, it is unusual, outside the world of sovereign funds or Russian oligarchs, for deals to not have any financing by debt. Ratcliffe is keen to state that the debt will be his, rather than the club’s.

The Ratcliffe bid insists he does not want to take money out of Manchester United and says he is seeking to achieve a personal ambition of controlling his boyhood team.
Thanks! So it seems that the "fresh debt" line came from Ineos. Could just be a miscommunication but they'll need to clear that one up as that should be the minimum bar for any bid to clear.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I’m starting to think whoever is doing PR for Jim’s bid is secretly on the Qatari payroll :lol: I’m convinced he is going to clear the debt and he wouldn’t use club funds to pay the loans but why isn’t he saying that! It’s early days but the narrative is already being formed and he isn’t helping to shape it.

Member 125288

I know United were popular. I just don’t know how I’m supposed to know they were popular in the ME before 92, when we hadn’t been successful for a long time.I literally know feckall about the ME culture back then.
That is irrelevant because he lived and was educated here as a child/young man.

crossy1686

career ending
So, as an aside, has anyone considered that City's defence against FFP charges, could end up being a campaign to free up Qatari spending, should their bid be successful?
That could be hilarious.
We should be worried about City's spending should they win the case and go on a spending spree in retaliation. They will dominate for decades and other clubs will actively seek investment to compete. I'd rather be ready for that scenario before it happens in all honesty than be scrambling after the fact.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Thanks! So it seems that the "fresh debt" line came from Ineos. Could just be a miscommunication but they'll need to clear that one up as that should be the minimum bar for any bid to clear.
Surely that will be cleared up in the next round of bidding as they know not clearing existing debt is a deal breaker for most United fans. Ratcliffe's face was on the banner made by the 1958 fan group back in August, he's been paying attention to Glazer out protests so he knows what United fans want. They got it right with the line about making fans the centre of his proposed ownership. He needs to clear up the debt situation next.

crossy1686

career ending
Surely that will be cleared up in the next round of bidding as they know not clearing existing debt is a deal breaker for most United fans. Ratcliffe's face was on the banner made by the 1958 fan group back in August, he's been paying attention to Glazer out protests so he knows what United fans want. They got it right with the line about making fans the centre of his proposed ownership. He needs to clear up the debt situation next.
They've probably specified that in their bid but not released it in the PR. It will get out at some point though, surely someone from the press is going to ask them to clarify.

lostcauz

Both bids are for Glazer share only. For other A class share, they dont need to bid to Glazers.

Think the confusion came from the wording of statement. Qatar may have plans for 100% ownership later, but the bid will take all of Glazers shares. Same as SJR. Just in SJR case they might not intend to take the share that is publicly traded. Hence they used “majority “ stake.
Is that completely true though? Because they may want to negotiate and complete the full take over now.

The board can accept a purchase price that includes a price per share for any publicly traded stock. It will then go to the shareholders whether they have any opposition, which you think there wouldn’t be any as the shares will be at a premium and the majority seems to be held by investment firms.

As for SJR, I don’t think there’s any intention to ever buy the remaining shares.

Fluctuation0161

City are in the middle of a fraud case with the EPL right now for doing exactly this. [offbook activity] You have to declare everything.

(and it should be ok to go through a club if the owners inject $$$ to cover it)

They probably can do it through the club with ffp, because presumably equity injection will cover it.

Absolutely. But we are powerless either way. so may as well accept they are both utter cnuts and try to live with it. What else can we do? I don't think there's much value in playing the 'who is worse' morality game. (even though the answer is Qatar) - Qatar not buying us won't hurt them, or help anyone they hurt. Ditto to Ratcliffe.
Yes it's a sad state of affairs for modern football in England. Should've been regulated much better like Germany, instead is a free for all with despots. Alot like the country as a whole.

Woodzy

We should be worried about City's spending should they win the case and go on a spending spree in retaliation. They will dominate for decades and other clubs will actively seek investment to compete. I'd rather be ready for that scenario before it happens in all honesty than be scrambling after the fact.
If we can match City pound for pound financially, then we shouldn’t be worried about their spending in that case. We are Manchester United and they are City at the end of the day. All long-term success is that hardest thing to maintain, there will be some shit years to come for City and they will need to change things up a bit, probably sooner rather than later.

Prodigal7

It's all just words though and clearing over £500m in debt is no simple promise even for someone as wealthy as SJR. For Qatar its pocket change.
There's no reason why a foreign fan cant be as dedicated to the local area as he is, in fact based on the statements about spending money in the local area Sheikh Jassim has given us more commitment so far.
SJR clearly expected the brexit brigade to line up behind him against the foreigner but thankfully, from what I've seen, that's not happened. When it comes to ownership, I couldn't give two shits if you were concieved under the scaffolding at the Stretford end. What matters is you invest in the club and the community.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Sir Jim is United fan but wanted to buy Chelsea. That is confusing shit.
I know business is business but i don't know how you can be a big football fan of one club and own direct rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.