Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoony

The People's President
What about him bidding to buy Chelsea last year? Do you see it as a problem for a self-proclaimed United fan?

No. He's a businessmen. He's probably a casual United fan. I don't see it an issue. More importantly his bid looks a bit weak, the rest is irrelevant.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Stretty News posted this opinion piece earlier, it's since been edited, but you can read the original here.

Not sure how we can accept comments like the one this twitter user has highlighted as a fan base to be honest. How are trans supporters of the club supposed to feel reading bile like this?
fecking hell that's shocking. Completely misses the point as well that the West aren't trying to force their values on Qatar. Qatar are coming to the West of their own free will this time around.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Stretty News posted this opinion piece earlier, it's since been edited, but you can read the original here.

Not sure how we can accept comments like the one this twitter user has highlighted as a fan base to be honest. How are trans supporters of the club supposed to feel reading bile like this?

vanthaman

Winner
I have zero issue with the idea that he could have been supporting United in the early 90's or before.

It is however quite fortuitous that the year he became a United fan was '92, a year in the club's history that has already been heavily branded in recent times, allowing him to incorporate that concept into his his bid. And it will seem even more fortuitous if, purely hypothetically, any members of the class of 92 who have no issue taking Qatari money lend their name to this ownership group in the future.

But hey, maybe I'm just unfairly cynical about the sincerity of this totally-not-state-backed good samaritan with a mysterious pool of cash.
I became a United fan in July/august 92. Spent a few years before switching every 5 minutes so decided to base it purely on what kit I liked best, loved the blue away with black crest so bought that and became a fan.

Revan

Assumptionman
No. He's a businessmen. He's probably a casual United fan. I don't see it an issue. More importantly his bid looks a bit weak, the rest is irrelevant.
I agree with this. I do not see much problems with that, but I also do not see why he should get bonus points cause he is ‘a United fan’. He is a businessman doing what is best for his businesses (same as other biders). The bid should be judged on merits on how much investment they will make at United and the local community, not on whose team they support or how far from Old Trafford was the hospital where they will born.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
What about him bidding to buy Chelsea last year? Do you see it as a problem for a self-proclaimed United fan?
No. Why should it? It didn’t seem likely United would be up for sale then and it would’ve naturally been at a more competitive price anyway. Also if bidding or buying other clubs is exclusionary, then I’ve some news about Qatar.

Personally I think both charm offensives are largely irrelevant, and also very much elaborated. But if we’re GOING to do that whole thing, the one with a proven track record of obviously really liking football seems a better offensive than “look, he’s wearing this seasons shirt!”…. in the scheme of things

Chief123

United's debt was major concern for all fans for years.
"We want club without debt!!"
Then comes a news where a guy will buy a club with another debt without clearing current debt.
Same fans; "Not every debt is bad". Ffs :lol: :lol:
And a guy says he will clear all the debt and put every profit into helping the club is being forensically examined on the authenticity of his claim to be a fan. Welcome to Redcafe.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
Think Bloomberg posted an article last week about how Qatar were interested in investing in an NBA franchise and how Qatar's Emir was a big basketball fan.

I suppose what I find most startling is how so many Utd fans seem to take the Qataris for their word yet don't take anyone else for their word.

Like when Ratcliffe said that Ineos would take on the debt, not Utd. We have Utd fans on here then saying that they're skeptical and that the debt will end up on Utd's books in the long-run.

If you're so cynical about Ratcliffe and "hedge funds" (Put these in inverted commas as I'm fairly sure there are people on here who couldn't accurately define what it is that an actual hedge fund actually does; they just end up conflating hedge funds with private equity, and private equity with 1980s-style leveraged buyouts), why drop the cynicism when it comes to the Qataris?

Revan

Assumptionman
No. Why should it? It didn’t seem likely United would be up for sale then and it would’ve naturally been at a more competitive price anyway. Also if bidding or buying other clubs is exclusionary, then I’ve some news about Qatar.

Personally I think both charm offensives are largely irrelevant, and also very much elaborated.
I personally do not care what team they support. I just find hypocritical this PR that Radcliffe is this big United fan (who was a season ticket holder at Chelsea and wanted to buy them) while that sheikh cannot be a United fan.

Who cares if they are or not. The important thing is what is the vision for United and how much they are willing to invest in United and the local community in Manchester.

redshaw

Sir Jim is United fan but wanted to buy Chelsea. That is confusing shit.
I know business is business but i don't know how you can be a big football fan of one club and own direct rival.
Jim wants United ideally but he's interested in various sports and a PL club is top of his list. It's not uncommon for people to move and adopt a second team. He's a rich guy in west London, into top sports, of course he has a ticket at Chelsea and mingles with lots of others.

He's also grumbled about the cost of PL clubs, United have not been for sale for a long time and he had a belated attempt at Chelsea and also he's been involved in two other clubs to learn how to run for the eventual big club. It's really top sports he wants for branding and personal involvement/interest, He's involved F1 Mercedes.

Lewis Hamilton is not a fan of United but is keen to invest in various clubs given the opportunity. It's about business, having a vested interest in top sport, doing something with your life and money so when the opportunity arises you make an attempt even if it's not your preferred team. Sir Jim has other motives with branding Ineos. If he fails this move he could easily turn his attention to other PL clubs.

Last edited:

Sir Erik ten Hag

I know business is business but i don't know how you can be a big football fan of one club and own direct rival.
Sterling was rumoured to be a United fan, yet he played for both Liverpool and City (Added Chelsea in also).

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If we can match City pound for pound financially, then we shouldn’t be worried about their spending in that case. We are Manchester United and they are City at the end of the day. All long-term success is that hardest thing to maintain, there will be some shit years to come for City and they will need to change things up a bit, probably sooner rather than later.
We have already tried to match them and now we are in a bit of financial mess. While for City, it doesn’t matter.

We cant match City financially for a long term period without causing financial issues. Question is do we need to?

lostcauz

Think Bloomberg posted an article last week about how Qatar were interested in investing in an NBA franchise and how Qatar's Emir was a big basketball fan.

I suppose what I find most startling is how so many Utd fans seem to take the Qataris for their word yet don't take anyone else for their word.

Like when Ratcliffe said that Ineos would take on the debt, not Utd. We have Utd fans on here then saying that they're skeptical and that the debt will end up on Utd's books in the long-run.

If you're so cynical about Ratcliffe and "hedge funds" (Put these in inverted commas as I'm fairly sure there are people on here who couldn't accurately define what it is that an actual hedge fund actually does; they just end up conflating hedge funds with private equity, and private equity with 1980s-style leveraged buyouts), why drop the cynicism when it comes to the Qataris?
Look at Nice and look at PSG. All this talk of SJR won’t do the same to Man Utd as he’s done to Nice, there’s no guarantees. I would say there is evidence to suggest the Qataris will back up what they say.

Lets say SJR wins the bid, does he load even more debt on his company for the stadium and training ground? Where’s the money coming from for that? Or is a loan taken on by the club?

If you wanted additional funding for transfers to be provided by the owners, SJR is less likely to do that.

Chief123

Sprinkle a little bit of borderline racism in there at the end by the Irish geezer. He wants Ratcliffe a “local” owner (from London) as opposed to a “foreign” guy coming in. I wonder if that fan wants Utd to have all local players as well and a local manager rather than these foreign players we keep bringing over.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
He said that he had split allegiance a bit like a true man utd supporter who also supports Liverpool or City

fergies coat

Sprinkle a little bit of borderline racism in there at the end by the Irish geezer. He wants Ratcliffe a “local” owner (from London) as opposed to a “foreign” guy coming in. I wonder if that fan wants Utd to have all local players as well and a local manager rather than these foreign players we keep bringing over.
He's from Manchester I don't know how many times people need telling, and there's nothing racist about what he said.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ratcliffe is from the Greater Manchester, now he does live abroad.

YikesSchmeics

I think leaving out the rest of the debate, Ratcliffe is not a stupid man, but he left it until beyond the deadline to bid for Chelsea. I would say that it was just as possible that it was very intentional as a signal to the Glazers.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Laurie Whitwell was just on Sky and he seems to think there could be more bidders out there. Also mentioned that Glazers staying is a possibility if they don't get the right price. Qatar and Ratcliffe won't overpay.

mu4c_20le

It's about as racist as preferring to support local when choosing a restaurant.

Status
Not open for further replies.