Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Anyone who is making plans to overhaul all areas of the club without first assessing those areas is an absolute fecking eejit. The “best in class” nonsense just strikes me as this being intended for fan PR - which is going to backfire because once again - anyone who is making plans to overhaul all areas of the club without first assessing those areas is an absolute fecking eejit and weirdly enough fans don’t want eejits in charge. If they were buying the club 12 months ago this would have been a great PR piece - now it just terrifies me into thinking they’re going to piss off ETH.
He will hire his mates -- and after all, how do you define best in class? Based on reputation or network? DOFs of many clubs were failing until some strategic changes were made. Its not like there is some survey that rates each position's best candidate.

sglowrider

They’ve done fantastically well. But this forum does like to shit on their own, even when it’s going well.

If Ratcliffe wins and gets his own in, we’re fecked considering his past experiences.
Rebuild from scratch again? So all the progress the past 12 months gets thrown out the window and start again?

sglowrider

Qatar are winning the PR battle so far.

SJR/INEOS haven't really said anything significantly positive in comparison.
It's scary what they have said so far.

a) No statement of intent of the existing debt that the Glazers have lumped onto the club. Vision?
b) Very brexit, consultant/corporate speak, jingoistic slogans and little else -- appealing to your emotions in order to blind you since there is little substance or planning.
c) Then promising changes without even doing any initial assessment? Like some know it all. Talk about treating United like a plaything! That's not what competent management does.

sglowrider

The article below sheds light on some of the dumb moves made by Ratcliffe via Brailsford at Nice. Both Galtier and Favre have been reported to be very disappointed with how Brailsford has overseen recruitment. And one of the dumbest things Brailsford/Ratcliffe did last summer was to hire Iain Moody to oversee the transfer window and he signed players that were incompatible with the positional play principles of Favre who was said to be extremely disappointed with the players that were signed. (And that's without going into Moody being a racist.)

That then created a poor atmosphere in the dressing room due to Favre's frustrations before he was eventually sacked. The new DoF from Lens looks a promising move but his arrival came a little too late for Favre. But it's understandable why the Nice faithful have been critical of the way the club has been run after Ratcliffe made claims about challenging PSG when he first took over. But from reading the article below, it's clear to deduce that Ratcliffe and Brailsford know very little as far as running the structural side of a football club and it would be in their best interests to empower the DoF to make the staffing and structural decisions

The money INEOS has should mean they challenge for champions league places. And if @devilish is correct about Ratcliffe paying the likes of Ramsey 175k a week, then that basically demonstrates that things have been going wrong which are highlighted in the piece below.

Guardian: "Ratcliffe said he wanted to challenge PSG when he bought Nice in 2019. Despite good intentions, he hasn’t even come close"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jan/20/manchester-united-fans-nice-jim-ratcliffe-psg
Ross feckin Barkley.

Did they think he would be the catalyst to enable them to challenge PSG? Maybe they need Delle Ali too?

Eddy_JukeZ

Ratcliffe scares me a lot.

I truly hope he doesn't succeed in buying the club. He could undo all the good work done lately by ETH.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Why is there an assumption of competence with Jassim, someone who has been a banker all his working life and has no sporting credentials to speak of?
I get that INEOS have a track record to judge, how much that applies to Utd is debatable, but none the less they at least have tangible evidence.
But Jassim has nothing but empty words and a fat wallet. We don’t even know how old the guy is. That’s not enough, surely?

Giggsyking

Why is there an assumption of competence with Jassim, someone who has been a banker all his working life and has no sporting credentials to speak of?
I get that INEOS have a track record to judge, how much that applies to Utd is debatable, but none the less they at least have tangible evidence.
But Jassim has nothing but empty words and a fat wallet. We don’t even know how old the guy is. That’s not enough, surely?
No track record is better than bad track record.

sglowrider

As the Great Man once said, if you are good enough, you are old enough. :smirk:

Maybe Jassim will just insert someone within United to sync with the plans that they have outside OT/Carrington. They will be too busy building up the global Manchester United Universe.

Judas

Open to offers
If there was no Qatar, would the same people who seem to be firmly in Ratty’s camp still think he was amazing? Nothing I’ve read about their plan is convincing.

If there was no Qatar, would the same people who seem to be firmly in Ratty’s camp still think he was amazing? Nothing I’ve read about their plan is convincing.
Considering the entire fan base was calling for him as our knight in shining armour just one year ago I’d imagine it’s better you reverse the question.

If there was no Qatar, would the same people who seem to be firmly against Ratty still be so firmly against INEOS and attempting to ridicule everything they have done?

sglowrider

I would have the same concerns. Seems like all the PR that's been issued are lazy statements designed to evoke emotions rather than anything concrete or commitment. Like they have not bothered to dig deeper into what the challenges are within United or the fans.

Judas

Open to offers
I am no fan of Qatar really, but do I believe they’ll deliver what they promise? Absolutely. The whole sports washing thing doesn’t really work if you don’t deliver in bucket loads. There’s plenty of evidence to be wary of Ratcliffe and that whole situation.

avgp_1

The article below sheds light on some of the dumb moves made by Ratcliffe via Brailsford at Nice. Both Galtier and Favre have been reported to be very disappointed with how Brailsford has overseen recruitment. And one of the dumbest things Brailsford/Ratcliffe did last summer was to hire Iain Moody to oversee the transfer window and he signed players that were incompatible with the positional play principles of Favre who was said to be extremely disappointed with the players that were signed. (And that's without going into Moody being a racist.)

That then created a poor atmosphere in the dressing room due to Favre's frustrations before he was eventually sacked. The new DoF from Lens looks a promising move but his arrival came a little too late for Favre. But it's understandable why the Nice faithful have been critical of the way the club has been run after Ratcliffe made claims about challenging PSG when he first took over. But from reading the article below, it's clear to deduce that Ratcliffe and Brailsford know very little as far as running the structural side of a football club and it would be in their best interests to empower the DoF to make the staffing and structural decisions

The money INEOS has should mean they challenge for champions league places. And if @devilish is correct about Ratcliffe paying the likes of Ramsey 175k a week, then that basically demonstrates that things have been going wrong which are highlighted in the piece below.

Guardian: "Ratcliffe said he wanted to challenge PSG when he bought Nice in 2019. Despite good intentions, he hasn’t even come close"

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jan/20/manchester-united-fans-nice-jim-ratcliffe-psg
Nice were quite terrible in the market this summer. Some of the strangest decision making I have seen. And they looked ordinary for long parts of it.

However they have been on a good run lately based around solid organized defensive performances and bought in a couple of good players in Moffi and Youssouf in January, will be interesting to see how they progress and can make a run for Europe

For their net spend in the past 3-4 years they should be doing a lot better though.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Here’s that “bad” again. So “bad” they might finish 5th for the 3rd time in4 years.

feck me, cut out the hyperbole. They haven’t been remotely “bad”, just nothing really impressive so far either.
I dunno, United were utterly appalling last season and we finished 6th. :D

I take your point though, the over egging of Nice ‘under-performance’ is ridiculous. No context applied at all.

Nice were quite terrible in the market this summer. Some of the strangest decision making I have seen. And they looked ordinary for long parts of it.

However they have been on a good run lately based around solid organized defensive performances and bought in a couple of good players in Moffi and Youssouf in January, will be interesting to see how they progress and can make a run for Europe

For their net spend in the past 3-4 years they should be doing a lot better though.
Hardly surprising though the bolded, they parted ways with the former sporting director in May as he seemed to be pissing off everyone, and they didn’t get their new man until October. Made the transfer window a tricky one.
Much more interesting is how they go from here now they’ve hired their first own true sporting director rather than continuing with those they inherited. As you say, January already looked miles better and they are cracking form.

avgp_1

You could say the same about United. We know all too well money spent isn’t directly linked to success achieved.
Yes and that's why we can questions the decisions that have been made just like we question ours

Cloud7

Considering the entire fan base was calling for him as our knight in shining armour just one year ago I’d imagine it’s better you reverse the question.

If there was no Qatar, would the same people who seem to be firmly against Ratty still be so firmly against INEOS and attempting to ridicule everything they have done?
Depends on what you're comparing INEOS to. If it's the Glazers, then they would still remain the knight in shining armor. Ultimately there are very few things that could be worse than them staying. However, it's not a binary choice between JR and the Glazers, since there is another option who seem very promising, that being Qatar.

There are a lot of people who are firmly against the Qatar bid and are trying to make the other option seem more appealing than it is.

Depends on what you're comparing INEOS to. If it's the Glazers, then they would still remain the knight in shining armor. Ultimately there are very few things that could be worse than them staying. However, it's not a binary choice between JR and the Glazers, since there is another option who seem very promising, that being Qatar.

There are a lot of people who are firmly against the Qatar bid and are trying to make the other option seem more appealing than it is.
That was exactly the point I was making man :lol:

Everyone was behind “Ratty” until the bottomless pit of Qatar money became interested.

SmallCaine

Here’s that “bad” again. So “bad” they might finish 5th for the 3rd time in4 years.

feck me, cut out the hyperbole. They haven’t been remotely “bad”, just nothing really impressive so far either.
They are 7th right now. Finishing 5th 9th 5th and 7th is bad when you have the 3rd highest net spend in those years.

Micky Targaryen

Just a genuine question to pro-Ratcliffe posters:

Are you lot pro-Ratcliffe just because you’re anti-Qatar? If the Qataris were never an option, would you lot still be that keen on SJR?

Chief123

It’s like watching people fight over whether they think it should rain or be sunny while having absolutely no control over it.

noddyutd

Sjr isn’t doing a great job with his PR ( rare because he loves attention ) I don’t like the feeling of him owning us and giving jobs to all his boys again. Mate rates FC stinks of Woodward and co.

Does anyone have a link to anything that Sjr has said about what he plans on doing with the OT infrastructure?

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
The article below sheds light on some of the dumb moves made by Ratcliffe via Brailsford at Nice. Both Galtier and Favre have been reported to be very disappointed with how Brailsford has overseen recruitment. And one of the dumbest things Brailsford/Ratcliffe did last summer was to hire Iain Moody to oversee the transfer window and he signed players that were incompatible with the positional play principles of Favre who was said to be extremely disappointed with the players that were signed. (And that's without going into Moody being a racist.
Is Moody still there now that Ghisofli (sp?) is Sporting Director? They seem to have got things together since Ghisofli came in, with the newer transfers having much more potential. Still, last summer was a shocker for them...

SirAF

Ageist
You could say that for literally every single thing discussed on here to be fair.
That is true, but this particular subject has been done to death now - until there are new developments.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Is Moody still there now that Ghisofli (sp?) is Sporting Director? They seem to have got things together since Ghisofli came in, with the newer transfers having much more potential. Still, last summer was a shocker for them...
Moody was only employed to oversee the summer transfer window of 2022. The problem that he caused was that he was signing players that were not in-sync with the principles of Lucien Favre who was said to be extremely disappointed with the players that were signed. It seems like Brailsford/Ratcliffe had no clue about the playstyle Favre likes to implement.

Florent Ghisolfi is potentially a good move as long as he's allowed to create his own support structure and is then supported to apply a strategy that will develop on-field performance. OGC Nice under INEOS should without doubt be qualifying for the champions league. They just need to have a strategy that involves someone with a idea that they then need to back. And they need to back Ghisofli imo.

But they do seem to be on the right track now, as long as they allow Ghisolfi to make the big decisions on the football side of the club.

And the PSG owners also have given Campos control of the football side of the club but his decisions haven't proved successful as yet. It seems like Campos made a decision to hire the most compatible head coach for himself and not the best head coach for the club.

So it does seem like both INEOS and QSI have learnt from their mistakes and that can hopefully only be a good thing for United. It's not difficult to setup a capable football structure as long as there isn't any meddling from the owners or CEO.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Ratcliffe scares me a lot.

I truly hope he doesn't succeed in buying the club. He could undo all the good work done lately by ETH.
Not just that. We could take on even more debt. He is as bad for United as an US investment bank amd as incompetent as the Glazers

Giggsyking

I thought he came to challenge PSG for the title. 5th, 9th, 5th, 7th is nowhere near good enough.

Last edited:

WalkerTheRed

Maybe, but I'd rather have someone with a track record of winning stuff then someone whose track record is giving 175k to Ramsay and getting Lausanne relegated in multiple occasions.

Since the fortunes of Lausanne (who's been a yoyo team at best in the last decade or so) and Nice (second most in-form team in France atm) are so important, surely the fortunes of Malaga must have some interests as well?

themanguydude

Because we all know Jassim is just the face for the state of Qatar and Qatar do have experience running a football club, in fact said club has been more successful than us in the past 5 or so years.

Surely no one believes that he's just a "private" Qatari investor with no affiliations to the state right? RIght?

And the harsh truth is, with enough money, you can mask almost anything, including incompetency

They are 7th right now. Finishing 5th 9th 5th and 7th is bad when you have the 3rd highest net spend in those years.
7th with a game in hand, and they have been the second most form team in the league.
Let’s not pretend they’ve finished 7th just to make your argument. They have a great chance of 5th.

If they finish 5th, for the 3rd time in 4 years, with the 3rd highest net spend and you wanna call that “bad”? You know they were 7th in 2018-19 right? So surely you have to count in the catch up? You can’t simply expect a 7th placed team to have the 3rd net spend and instantly become 3rd can you? :lol: The 6 teams above them didn’t just sell every player and start from scratch.

5th or at a push, 4th seems about par with the inherited league position and subsequent net spend. And the longer they spend the 3rd highest, especially with a top sporting director in, you’d expect them to slowly climb year on year.

And if that counts as “bad”, what the funk do you call Everton? Or Chelsea? Or United? Or Liverpool?

Last edited:

Vapor trail

7th with a game in hand, and they have been the second most form team in the league.
Let’s not pretend they’ve finished 7th just to make your argument. They have a great chance of 5th.

If they finish 5th, for the 3rd time in 4 years, with the 3rd highest net spend and you wanna call that “bad”? You know they were 7th in 2018-19 right? So surely you have to count in the catch up? You can’t simply expect a 7th placed team to have the 3rd net spend and instantly become 3rd can you? :lol: The 6 teams above them didn’t just sell every player and start from scratch.
5th or at a push, 4th seems about par. And the longer they spend the 3rd highest, especially with a top sporting director in, you’d expect them to slowly climb year on year.

And if that counts as “bad”, what the funk do you call Everton? Or Chelsea? Or United? Or Liverpool?
5th with third highest net spend is bad in a league that's nowhere near as competitive as the premier League. Ratcliffe doesn't have anything going for him with his reputation in France. He has an opportunity to do something different with United (bigger club than Nice) and all his statements have been underwhelming.

5th with third highest net spend is bad in a league that's nowhere near as competitive as the premier League.
So hang on.

What happened the the 6th, 5th and 4th and 3rd placed teams from 2018-19? How much more have Nice spent than those team to catch up the 4 places to 3rd?

You can’t simply say “they have spent the 3rd most over 4 Summer windows, they should be 3rd”, that’s just utterly dumb.

Vapor trail

So hang on.

What happened the the 6th, 5th and 4th and 3rd placed teams from 2018-19? How much more have Nice spent than those team to catch up the 4 places to 3rd?

You can’t simply say “they have spent the 3rd most over 4 Summer windows, they should be 3rd”, that’s just utterly dumb.
That's your own conclusion the reality is in a race between two owners Qatar have from their statements a far more diligent scope when it comes to the magnitude of what's needed for the club to get back to competing on all fronts. When it comes to footballing matters Ratcliffe has too many questionable aspects from the debt all the way to assessing his ownership of Nice going against him. For someone who has shown interest in the club long before a potential sale was announced he's used all the wrong criteria's to signify his intentions. He's underwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.