Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
Why on earth would you pick two seasons like that? During the last 10 seasons United have a net spend 2-3x Chelsea's. United's wage bill is higher than Chelsea's by quite a margin.
Netspend is a wang waving metric.
It doesn't take into consideration that all revenue counts and not just player out sales.

sparx99

Suppose the for sake of argument that city continue to dominate by pumping in money through the back door, then Newcastle start do the same. Our Qatari owners do not, and as a result, we are stuck in perpetual third place. Do you think the owners will settle for third place? Or use their resources to get ahead the same way City and Newcastle did?

I'm not even that fussed by the financial doping argument, that horse has pretty much bolted as far as I'm concerned. But to believe that Qatari owners wouldn't do it when our rivals do feels very naive.
Utd have spent enough under the Glazers to compete with anybody. We've just spent it very poorly. Regardless of ownership we need to have more successful transfers if we want to compete.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
No he's saying what Reuters are reporting is true but what Reuters are reporting doesn't really mean much.

Reuters aren't saying Qatar have entered exclusive negotiations as many seem to think they are claiming.
"Doesn't really mean much" isn't how I interpreted it.

The briefing from the club was a deflection - they didn't deny that they're close to exclusivity with the Qataris. That's as close to a confirmation as we'll get until the papers have been signed and it's official.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Surely that bluffer Phil Brown isn’t a trusted source. It’s like posting transfer rumours from Indy Kalia or whatever his name is

cyberman

“We’ll be different to City…”

To be fair, are they not normally volunteers? My sister in law worked in Wembley during the Olympics as an unpaid volunteer.
Edit when Italian fans stormed the Euro final wasn’t the main reason for no resistance because the a security were untrained, unpaid volunteers as well? It’s why they were so easy to bribe to get past

stevoc

Reports suggest Qatar have paid about 5.5bn pounds and the asking price was 6bn pounds. There's nothing to suggest theyve paid that much
There have been wildly conflicting reports of what the Galzers wanted. Some saying £6b and others claiming $6b.

But it looks like Qatar will end up paying a lot more than they originally planned to. They've had to up their bid 4 times.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Surely that bluffer Phil Brown isn’t a trusted source. It’s like posting transfer rumours from Indy Kalia or whatever his name is
Not really - he's not bringing in any new developments, just offering up commentary and analysis on what we already know from earlier today.

jm99

“We’ll be different to City or Newcastle…”

The people saying we'll be different to city or Newcastle are saying we don't need to cheat. I don't think anyone suggested that out of hundreds of millions of our fans around the world, none of them will ever say anything stupid.

But obviously you knew that

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
To be fair, are they not normally volunteers? My sister in law worked in Wembley during the Olympics as an unpaid volunteer.
I mean that generally happens at major events like the Olympics, World Cups even Expo 2020 in Dubai recently people had the opportunity to volunteer.

mu4c_20le

Problem for Jimmy is no matter what he does, SJ will just slightly improve his offer…

Only way SJR can win now is to let the Glazers keep their class B shares…

It’s just not worth it…and to be honest it’s for the best for him. Invest that money in to Nice and bring them into the CL.
A poster here mentioned ealrier that SJR's M&A team must have anticipated this scenario. If he's been planning on upping his offer he can still do it because he's stayed quiet while Jassim made 5 bids. It all boils down to who wants it more. I can't really see Qatar playing any more games with the incremental bids, so its down to whether Ratcliffe has one final play.

Anustart89

Yeah it's probably not totally racist, but it is incredibly lazy. "These guys will be similar owners to these other guys becusse they're from the same region"
But when it comes to Ratcliffe being literally the same person isn't even enough to say anything about how he'd run United.

jm99

There have been wildly conflicting reports of what the Galzers wanted. Some saying £6b and others claiming $6b.

But it looks like Qatar will end up paying a lot more than they originally planned to. They've had to up their bid 4 times.
Yes, but they didn't just come in and offer over the asking price when they easily could have. It suggests they're at least better negotiators than woodward

cyberman

Volunteers would normally be locals though no?
As long as they’re not illegal refugees I can’t see why? Unless Delaney is saying they were forced to work against their will but I’m only reading the tweet

NotThatSoph

Netspend is a wang waving metric.
It doesn't take into consideration that all revenue counts and not just player out sales.
Sure, but it takes more into account than gross spend, and it takes even more into account than gross spend chosen from two seasons years apart chosen just to transparently trying to fudge the numbers to your advantage.

Mate of mine works at the club and has been told takeover is being completed by Qatar and will be leaked tonight, announced tomorrow.
And is your mate the CFO or the cleaner? Makes a big difference to what they know.

Knowing the Glazers as we do I reckon they will prefer doing business with a Middle Eastern government for the future opportunities it might bring.

croadyman

No he's saying what Reuters are reporting is true but what Reuters are reporting doesn't really mean much.

Reuters aren't saying Qatar have entered exclusive negotiations as many seem to think they are claiming.
Wouldn't say it doesn't really mean much coming from a source like them

stevoc

"Doesn't really mean much" isn't how I interpreted it.

The briefing from the club was a deflection - they didn't deny that they're close to exclusivity with the Qataris. That's as close to a confirmation as we'll get until the papers have been signed and it's official.
They've said they are negotiating with the Glazers in the hope of entering exclusive negotiations as the preferred bidder.

Well yeah no shit, that's what both Qatar and Ineos have been doing for months.

Now they might be very close to being the preferred bidders and opening exclusive talks. But until such time nothing has wildly changed.

JagUTD

“We’ll be different to City or Newcastle…”

Sad state of affairs really. At least on here it's fairly reserved, a few posters aside but on the shit show that is twitter and Facebook there's been some genuinely awful things said against those who have suffered at the hands of Qatar by United fans. Apparently these people are equal to us all as well.

Tragically Hip

Edit when Italian fans stormed the Euro final wasn’t the main reason for no resistance because the a security were untrained, unpaid volunteers as well? It’s why they were so easy to bribe to get past
The security were certainly not volunteers. I attended in Qatar and they came from the same countries as those that built the stadiums/infrastructure.

Cloud7

People talk a lot about "our achievements not being respected going forward" as if the last 20 years hasn't been dominated by discourse around United bribing the refs and the FA, SAF bullying and intimidating people, how much money United spend etc etc. You would think that we have been living in some kind of utopia before where United was held up like some shining light when our rivals and people adjacent to them have always found some way to drag down United's achievements.

stevoc

Yes, but they didn't just come in and offer over the asking price when they easily could have. It suggests they're at least better negotiators than woodward
Neither did Woodward when he was trying to buy Wan Bissaka.

stw2022

I do have hope we're going to be run to be self-sufficient. We're not Newcastle or City in the sense that we have don't to fabricate commercial deals and sponsorships in order to create an illusion of income for FFP.

Status
Not open for further replies.