Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
You’re not stepping outside the prism of a football fan though which is my point. The Glazers aren’t selling a football club as far as they are concerned. They’re selling a coveted multi-billion pound global institution. What football fans think of it is pretty irrelevant really. As far as M&A goes we don’t seem to be in unfamiliar territory, these things just take time.
You initially said outside the POV of a Utd fan, that’s what I was replying to really.

I understand what you’re saying but again, I’d still say go back and look at other club takeovers - it’s very unusual for an owner to publicly flirt with two completely different courses of action for months on end.

They absolutely should know what they want to do - full sale or stay and get investment. Stating which of these the club will be pursuing - after 8 months - should be simple enough, it shouldn’t hurt them to do so.

It’s transparent that one of the following must be true -

1. They want a full sale and are playing coy games to try and get the only full sale bidder to offer them a bit more money.

2. They want investment of some sort and are playing coy games to try get the investment options to offer more favourable terms to them.

3. They don’t know, as a collective, what they want and are bumbling around like blithering idiots annoying both bidders and investors and fans as they dither and flip flop on the future of a huge sporting institution that they’ve proven incapable of running properly.

Any of these options, after the amount of time they’ve already had is utterly pathetic and is making them look bad.

If they want a full sale there is no reason at all why they can’t at this point announce that yet state that their price has not been met - thus putting public pressure on Jassim to get it over the line.

Likewise, if they want investment - say so.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
It is farcical from the standpoint that they are willing to put Man Utd’s entire season in jeopardy to try to squeeze out a few more pounds that they may never get. They were known as leeches before the sale, I honestly don’t know what insult you could lay on them that is harsh enough.

Rhyme Animal

It is farcical from the standpoint that they are willing to put Man Utd’s entire season in jeopardy to try to squeeze out a few more pounds that they may never get. They were known as leeches before the sale, I honestly don’t know what insult you could lay on them that is harsh enough.
Absolutely.

And you’re a Chelsea fan, right? I.E a fan of a direct rival.

Gandalf

Do you think the auction is still ongoing? That bids might increase?
Both bidders are still at the table and the NDA is in force for everyone involved in the sale. I am assuming that the various parties have not sat around the last few weeks saying nothing but I doubt actual bidding is happening, Raine are probably shuttling between both camps looking for tweaks and adjustments to the bids on the table at the behest of the Glazers and this haggling could go on for months, especially if the bidders are not responding positively. It is all speculation but I would imagine that should either camp withdraw they would make some form of announcement and so until they do we can only assume dialogue goes on, and on, and on, and on.

The Irish Connection

They’re a cancer is what they are. I can’t wait until they’re gone.

My take is this: they will sell, but like with every transfer window under them they will drag the arse out of it while jeopardizing on pitch success.

The lack of communication is infuriating, and they basically lied to the fan base once again about a Q1 sale.
Even if they came out in April and said ‘we now expect the process to take longer’ it would have been something.
It’s so frustrating given that we have a very promising manager and a squad that’s maybe 3 or 4 more good players away from really competing for the league, and you know that some day soon Caicedo and Kane will have moved to a rival.

They know that the fans can’t do much now in the off season. Cowards. Greedy cowards.

Tender Teacher

If you stop viewing it through the prism of a Man United supporter it’s probably magnitudes less farcical. You’re think of the transfer window, pre-season and impending pre-season.

The parties involved in the sale won’t be giving much thought to that other than it being business as usual while they conduct an auction.
Do you think the Glazers feel any pressure at all with regards to a timeframe by which to have concluded this sale?

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
There is two active buyers so technically yes. Maybe the final offers are on the table and they’re just deciding. Maybe they want to find a good minority offer and use it to leverage a new offer from the majority buyers. What’s clear is that we know feck all at this point.
I don't for one moment believe there is no contact going on at all. It's not like you'd leave a bid on the table and just think "ah yeah, screw it, lets just let them wait". My bet is that there is contact and has been said, fine tweaking. Plus it doesn't help that the Glazers are likely in full blown civil war mode, arguing between those who want to stay and those who want to sell.

The problem is, those that want to stay are banking, i'd imagine, on a few good years under ten Hag to increase the clubs value even more, although what they fail to realise is that to maintain that level of success, they need to put large amounts of investment into the team, which i imagine they're not willing to do at all. All it'll take is a few bad seasons of no CL and the value, i'd imagine, would drop rather than increase. That could backfire on the Glazers if they come to sell again, as any buyers would likely look at this shitshow and think do they really want to get involved in that?

laughtersassassin

With each passing day it seems less and less likely we will be sold imo. It's absolute radio silence the last few weeks

Redstain

With each passing day it seems less and less likely we will be sold imo. It's absolute radio silence the last few weeks
Silence is probably a great sign that there's progression. This a business acquisition, not the transfer market. If the employee's even in the hierarchy like Murtough / Arnold are likely to be out of the loop with the most significant developments, why and how would journalists have any more relevant information ? All parties are under non-disclosures given the nature of this it should realistically remain silent until there's an official announcement from either party or the club. If it was dead in the water one of the bidders officially would announce their intentions to move on.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Silence is probably a great sign that there's progression. This a business acquisition, not the transfer market. If the employee's even in the hierarchy like Murtough / Arnold are likely to be out of the loop with the most significant developments, why and how would journalists have any more relevant information ? All parties are under non-disclosures given the nature of this it should realistically remain silent until there's an official announcement from either party or the club. If it was dead in the water one of the bidders officially would announce their intentions to move on.
Thats what i think. If it was dead in the water, what is the point in both bidders staying around? Why would they bother? I'm sure they'd rather just drop out, ditch the NDA and say thats it, we're done. Theres no benefit to them just hanging around.

Redstain

Thats what i think. If it was dead in the water, what is the point in both bidders staying around? Why would they bother? I'm sure they'd rather just drop out, ditch the NDA and say thats it, we're done. Theres no benefit to them just hanging around.
Exactly this.

RC89

You’re not stepping outside the prism of a football fan though which is my point. The Glazers aren’t selling a football club as far as they are concerned. They’re selling a coveted multi-billion pound global institution. What football fans think of it is pretty irrelevant really. As far as M&A goes we don’t seem to be in unfamiliar territory, these things just take time.
While it pains me, you're clearly spot on. Just look at the recent acquisition of Twitter which of course was quite farcical in the end and orders of magnitude more expensive. From a fans view it's very frustrating and I feel had the Glazers cared it'd be a quicker process, but why would they? They're businessmen, not United fans and will squeeze every last penny, as any businessman should.

Moriarty

1965 and Matt Busby's team wins their first post-Munich league title, beating Leeds United on goal difference, 28 of them scored by Denis Law. The double was on the cards but a semi-final replay defeat to Leeds stopped that. West Ham win the Cup Winners' Cup, becoming only the second English side to win a European trophy, Spurs being the first.

Winston Churchill dies and is given a state funeral (I still have a Churchill crown that was given to me that year). Members of the Gordon Highlanders and the Parachute Regiment arrive in Malaya/Borneo along with an Anzac contingent as Indonesian forces build up across the border. A small contingent of Gurkhas engaged a numerically-superior force, killing 24 of the enemy. Lance Corporal Rambahadur Limbu won the VC in this action.

In Vietnam, 'Operation Rolling Thunder' begins as the USAF commences a sustained bombing campaign on Hanoi and the Ho Chi Minh Trail.

Last edited:

RopersReturn

I think the Ukraine will become a NATO member, before we hear any news updates relating to the sale, depending on if it actually happens of course.

George The Best

Both bidders are still at the table and the NDA is in force for everyone involved in the sale. I am assuming that the various parties have not sat around the last few weeks saying nothing but I doubt actual bidding is happening, Raine are probably shuttling between both camps looking for tweaks and adjustments to the bids on the table at the behest of the Glazers and this haggling could go on for months, especially if the bidders are not responding positively. It is all speculation but I would imagine that should either camp withdraw they would make some form of announcement and so until they do we can only assume dialogue goes on, and on, and on, and on.
I very much doubt Raine are doing anything right now. Nothing more in it for them and a waste of time and effort. They’ve probably done what they were tasked to do, flush out potential buyers, create an auction and give a recommendation to the Utd Board of Directors.

Greck

Maybe made final bidders sign an ironclad NDA. They must know anyone will be shocked when the accounting figures of the last 10 years are presented. I'm sure there was no true direction beyond borrowing even more.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Maybe made final bidders sign an ironclad NDA. They must know anyone will be shocked when the accounting figures of the last 10 years are presented. I'm sure there was no strategy going forward beyond going deeper in credit.
Given that our finances are public information, I don't think it'll be much of a shock to anyone.

Greck

Given that our finances are public information, I don't think it'll be much of a shock to anyone.
Knew someone would come back with this. Yes, figures are public. What's not public is the rationale behind the figures, whether there was an actual plan to eventually stabilize the massive credit owed or the 'strategy' was just a non-stop wave of panic borrowing to cover even more panic borrowing.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Knew someone would come back with this. Yes, figures are public. What's not public was whether there was a plan to eventually stabilize those figures or the financial'strategy' was just a non-stop wave of panic borrowing.
The sell-side advisors will no doubt have put together some fancy materials (realistic or not) with overly optimistic growth projections, hockey stick charts, and a semblance of a business plan. Standard operating procedure for every sale process.

Greck

The sell-side advisors will no doubt have put together some fancy materials (realistic or not) with overly optimistic growth projections, hockey stick charts, and a semblance of a business plan. Standard operating procedure for every sale process.
For sure. If there's one thing the Glazers are good at, it's convincing everyone their atrocious finance management is nothing to worry about.

George The Best

While it pains me, you're clearly spot on. Just look at the recent acquisition of Twitter which of course was quite farcical in the end and orders of magnitude more expensive. From a fans view it's very frustrating and I feel had the Glazers cared it'd be a quicker process, but why would they? They're businessmen, not United fans and will squeeze every last penny, as any businessman should.
There has been no hint they are trying to squeeze more money from the buyers. But, there would have been leaks if they were trying to run another round of bidding. So, they have still got 2 bids on the table, one of which doesn’t look viable as we understand it. Therefore they’ve got an easy decision if they want to sell. Only Qatar gives them an easy exit route, but they are not taking that fairly obvious agreement for reasons unknown to us. My guess, and that’s all it is, is they are giving Ineos more time to see if they can raise the funds to appease the A class shareholders so that Jassim comes back in and trumps whatever Ineos comes up with. It’s a minefield

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
The 4 weeks is just a hunch on how most Merger and Acquisition deals happen when they reach what’s called a stalemate. Someone has to blink and someone’s will has to break plus I think by then, either Ratcliffe sources the additional money to make 80% which I mentioned about 400 pages ago on the thread and got laughed at just like I said the minority share holders would object and got laughed at.

The one very concerning issue is if you are SJ/Qatar supporter having dealt with many Arabic men in business, they tend to be patient to a point, but extremely well informed and do not suffer fools gladly. If SJ gets bored then he will pursue another club with spitefulness, the hope and I’ve been told by a few friends that I have in UAE, Qatar and Dubai that Sheikh Jasim really is known as a Manchester United Nut, a massive fan who never ever misses a game on TV, someone who knows the history of the club so there is that to be optimistic, ironically if they gave him the sole bidder status that he required, he may have already bid the £6bn that the Glazers wanted?
Haha. Haha. Haha. A few friends you have in UAE? Ah, yes. Sounds legit.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
This is spot on, and the hysteria in here is mostly due to people seeing it through "uneducated" (no offence meant in any way) eyes, as if it were a footy transfer or something. It's a generally speaking normal M&A process, maybe a bit slow, but nothing really justifying this kind of hysteria. There's also no similar operation to benchmark it against.
They are leeches, but this whole process isn't particularly the biggest manifestation of it.

gulli_G

IMO no sale until all our transfers are done to avoid price hikes (won't be a formal agreement)

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
IMO no sale until all our transfers are done to avoid price hikes (won't be a formal agreement)
I wonder if this could actually be a stipulation of the buyers? Could they stipulate that the transfer window is done, or all signings made before the deal is made official? Not sure if that would go against anything though?

RC89

There has been no hint they are trying to squeeze more money from the buyers. But, there would have been leaks if they were trying to run another round of bidding. So, they have still got 2 bids on the table, one of which doesn’t look viable as we understand it. Therefore they’ve got an easy decision if they want to sell. Only Qatar gives them an easy exit route, but they are not taking that fairly obvious agreement for reasons unknown to us. My guess, and that’s all it is, is they are giving Ineos more time to see if they can raise the funds to appease the A class shareholders so that Jassim comes back in and trumps whatever Ineos comes up with. It’s a minefield
What's this? Apologies, been abroad for a couple weeks so may have missed this.

Rhyme Animal

I wonder if this could actually be a stipulation of the buyers? Could they stipulate that the transfer window is done, or all signings made before the deal is made official? Not sure if that would go against anything though?
Would be very odd. They’d want to make their own signings surely, especially given we need a new star striker which is the perfect way for a new ownership to lay down it’s marker and let fans know what they’re about.

Status
Not open for further replies.