Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Roof is leaking and the training ground is shambles....but its okay cause beloved Jimmy Ratcliff doesnt wanna spent money on it.
Yeah, not being funny but roof leaking isn’t nearly as important as getting a first team and footballing structure good enough to challenge for major honours. If it’s one or the other then it makes sense to prioritise that first.

Lyng

Yeah, not being funny but roof leaking isn’t nearly as important as getting a first team and footballing structure good enough to challenge for major honours. If it’s one or the other then it makes sense to prioritise that first.
But my point is it shouldnt be one or the other.

Litch

Who cares? A lot of us didnt see Qatar as a good option. Doesnt mean Jim is either.
Not saying that either, but the point was what has Jims ownership of football achieved.
Im not arsed about either, just not cutting my wrists cause its not Qatar.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Just settling for mediocrity before the deal is even done. It’s sad how far we’ve fallen.

Best case scenario under Jim is he fires the chuckle brothers Murtough and Arnold but even then you look at his history and wonder if he can even get that right.
God you're so dramatic. It's laughable that some people think they actually think they have a say in how things operate or that they have control over a sale deal. Change from a bad situation is good. This is change. We have literally 0 clue on how we will be run, but the new guy prioritizing and demanding sporting control is a pretty big deal for me. As the past 20 years that side has literally been ignored. So if you and the others can remove your heads from Qatar's butthole and let yourself see some logic, you'll see that it's a positive step after we've been stuck in a nightmare situation for a very long time now.

Is it the dream of an uber wealthy businessman with 0 ethical issues, willing to donate billions to renovate the facilities and community, wipe the debt, blow all bidders out the water and make the Glazers an offer they can't refuse and make them accept a sale they don't want to make? No, but if you wanted that then you should come back to reality as that's not a real scenario.

If Ratcliffe takes full control, and operates us normally then I'd be very happy. As that will set us up for success. United doesn't need a sugar daddy. I don't want us to have a sugar daddy. It'd be nice if we can renovate what needs renovating without taking on debt, but it's not a big deal if we need to take on debt and external investments for that. That's a very normal and fair way to operate a football club.

lostcauz

The new FSR rules that are replacing FFP are based on player spending as a percentage of revenue, so unless I'm missing something, the debt shouldn't have an impact there?

Not that the debt isn't a concern, of course.
The rules that came into effect last summer?

MDFC Manager

I've already posted about it but they took over from Team Sky in 2019 and invested in Mercedes in 2020. They invested when these teams were already at the absolute peak and their success has zero to do with Ineos.

Coincidentally Mercedes havent won the championship since then.
Coincidentally, Jim has also taken out dividends from Mercedes...

Castia

The training ground is shit, stadiums falling to bits you can’t set a precedent and winning culture when the people at the top aren’t showing the same ambition

When Charlie Savage is having a pop at Carrington because it’s on par with reading you have to laugh (or cry)

Woziak

He's buying 25% of the club, and he's buying it from the Glazers, who own 67% of the club.

Buying non Glazer shares would require separate deals with each individual shareholder or for them to be purchased via the stock market. That he is reportedly paying a premium for this 25% means he is buying them all from the Glazer family.

There 67% becomes 42%. Voting rights make up roughly becomes 60-40.
I tend to think you might be right on this as there’s so much disinformation regarding whose buying what but his 25% valuation of Glazer shares might make total sense they wanted £6 billion for their 67/69% who actually knows if it’s 67 or 69% again misreporting.

Then INEOS could buy 25% or 12.5 million of the 50m Class A shares later. Which would cost another $400-500m. We should really wait for a full report from the FT or Reuters, Bloomberg or the guardian to get the actual numbers on this which should be out in the next 2 weeks or so. I think this probably deserves its own thread when actual numbers are produced.

bosnian_red

Who cares? A lot of us didnt see Qatar as a good option. Doesnt mean Jim is either.
If you are of the stance of state backed bids = bad, then I really don't see what "is a good option" if Ratcliffe isn't that. Are you dreaming of a local, boyhood United fan who is a multi billionaire who will donate billions to the club and renovate everything for free? That's not a real option.

Ratcliffe is one of the wealthiest people in the world. He is local, funnily enough. What is there to suggest he isn't a good option? Do you know how he will run things, compared to anybody else? We literally have no clue how he or anybody else will run things. I didn't want a sugar daddy owner or anyone with shit ethics/morals. So anybody else is literally in the same boat - we'll see what they do with the reigns. Nobody can even pretend to actually know if he will be a good or bad choice beyond "it's different and let's hope it's a normal owner and not an owner who totally ignores the football side".

bludsucker

You realize the debt goes to Ineos? Of course you do, you are many things but stupid isn't one of them, even though you desperately try to come off as such.
You do realize that they can move the debt to the club after the purchase goes through.

JediSith

Looks like he’s doing a great job at Nice.

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Out of interest are there any examples of clubs that first invest heavily into their stadium going on to have sustained success over those that get the footballing side right first, then invest in their facilities?

Off the top of my head, the two big examples of the former are Arsenal and Spurs. Who by investigating heavily in their stadium became the butt of many jokes and heavily restricted their ability to invest in their squads, meaning they effectively gave up on any chance of success for years.
Real Madrid and Barcelona have been 'saving' for the past couple years to rebuild their stadia.

It's not as obvious because Madrid have sold a lot of stars for good money while Barcelona have sold part of their club's side businesses.

I would suggest getting the infrastructure right first is the logical approach for a big club.

Suv666

Wait I thought this was the first phase of a full takeover but the 25% seems like the extent of it?
Its a shite deal if that’s the case the feck.

Also what does control of footballing operation means? Will he decide the transfer budget?
Adding another layer of bureaucracy to club known to for moving slowly doesn’t sound like the best idea.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
The new FSR rules that are replacing FFP are based on player spending as a percentage of revenue, so unless I'm missing something, the debt shouldn't have an impact there?

Not that the debt isn't a concern, of course.
To be fair, the debt would have some impact as I think one of the four FSR pillars relates to current expenditure not exceeding current revenue and interest payments would come under the expenditure tab.

But financially, I think most fans over-rate how much the debt has damaged Utd, finance people wouldn't be as concerned about it

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Crazy that Adam Crafton waited until Jassim pulled out before they started writing about Ratcliffe ownership of Nice.
The man has an agenda and the well-being of our football club is not at the top.

You can argue his gay rights defence is the more important thing but he's clearly biased, as are most of the media clowns who pretend to be objective.

Castia

God you're so dramatic. It's laughable that some people think they actually think they have a say in how things operate or that they have control over a sale deal. Change from a bad situation is good. This is change. We have literally 0 clue on how we will be run, but the new guy prioritizing and demanding sporting control is a pretty big deal for me. As the past 20 years that side has literally been ignored. So if you and the others can remove your heads from Qatar's butthole and let yourself see some logic, you'll see that it's a positive step after we've been stuck in a nightmare situation for a very long time now.

Is it the dream of an uber wealthy businessman with 0 ethical issues, willing to donate billions to renovate the facilities and community, wipe the debt, blow all bidders out the water and make the Glazers an offer they can't refuse and make them accept a sale they don't want to make? No, but if you wanted that then you should come back to reality as that's not a real scenario.

If Ratcliffe takes full control, and operates us normally then I'd be very happy. As that will set us up for success. United doesn't need a sugar daddy. I don't want us to have a sugar daddy. It'd be nice if we can renovate what needs renovating without taking on debt, but it's not a big deal if we need to take on debt and external investments for that. That's a very normal and fair way to operate a football club.
We’re having to settle and compromise in what is potentially the biggest deal to happen at this club and I’m not happy about it. Why should we be happy with debt on the club and crumbling facilities we‘re Manchester United ffs.

Putting all the money to one side, I don’t care if it’s British, American or far east investment just looking at Jim’s record he’s not up for this job. It’s obvious, we‘ve seen his ownership for years even Nice want him out.

A 25% investment provably funded by Goldman’s…..the excitement is killing me.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think the INEOS may pull the Man Utd off the NYSE soon and repackage the newly form INEOS Sport and list it again in NYSE or somewhere else.
I think that would be a good plan for raising $$. It would make more sense considering that the Glazers seem to think Jassim's offer is too low. The question is whether INEOS Sports or whatever incarnation it becomes in a few years' time will be that valuable considering its assets aren't performing that well in their respective arenas.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
Wait I thought this was the first phase of a full takeover but the 25% seems like the extent of it?
Its a shite deal if that’s the case the feck.

Also what does control of footballing operation means? Will he decide the transfer budget?
Adding another layer of bureaucracy to club known to for moving slowly doesn’t sound like the best idea.
Explain where you read this please, everyone is saying it is a staged buyout.

bosnian_red

Getting relegated and finishing mid table 4 years in a row isn’t what you just described

Hiring his cycling buddy to run those shitty practices is right out of the Glazers playbook
He took over a mid table club and they have remained mid table. 2 years challenging for CL spots and finishing within European spots, getting a manager poached and having a down year before getting back on track, while having COVID come in and have a big impact in year 1.

Lausanne was a yo-yo club who have remained a yo yo club. I'm not gonna pretend to know anything about them or Nice even beyond quick searches. But it always depends on how much money is being invested, what's the target, what's their wage bill and how does that stack up relative to others in the league and their achievements. Club positions should match the financial outlay. Most of the time it does. United is the big exception of spending in line with the best clubs in the world but being a fringe CL/EL level club over the past 10 years. Getting us back in line with what we do spend is what need to happen.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Not good. The scum are staying and I don't buy into this whole being in charge of footballing decisions - he will be a minority shareholder and surely the Glazer family will still have final sign off?

TsuWave

That quote :lol:

”There’s no point in having a magnificent stadium like Tottenham if you haven’t got the team’’ One source said.

Already shelving plans for the stadium upgrade.

Glazernomics 2.0
Some of this stuff is legit sad to read

klsv

A headline: Jim's going to buy 25% of the club and for starters wants control over sporting matters, will buy more later.

An average intellectual United enjoyer: He'll have no power, just lining Avram's pockets while enabling them to stay, the rat!

Another headline: He'll want to make sporting matters his priority while having control over sporting matters.

Another highly educated United enthusiast: The rat! How dare he not build us a new stadium!

JagUTD

Real Madrid and Barcelona have been 'saving' for the past couple years to rebuild their stadia.

It's not as obvious because Madrid have sold a lot of stars for good money while Barcelona have sold part of their club's side businesses.

I would suggest getting the infrastructure right first is the logical approach for a big club.
Any examples of this being the case?

Or to put it another way, do you expect Everton to become a force on the back of their rather nice new stadium? To clarify I mean a force in the Premier League and not the Football League, in case that wasn't clear :wenger:

Lyng

If you are of the stance of state backed bids = bad, then I really don't see what "is a good option" if Ratcliffe isn't that. Are you dreaming of a local, boyhood United fan who is a multi billionaire who will donate billions to the club and renovate everything for free? That's not a real option.

Ratcliffe is one of the wealthiest people in the world. He is local, funnily enough. What is there to suggest he isn't a good option? Do you know how he will run things, compared to anybody else? We literally have no clue how he or anybody else will run things. I didn't want a sugar daddy owner or anyone with shit ethics/morals. So anybody else is literally in the same boat - we'll see what they do with the reigns. Nobody can even pretend to actually know if he will be a good or bad choice beyond "it's different and let's hope it's a normal owner and not an owner who totally ignores the football side".
I look at his past endeavors in sports which have been underwhelming so far. On top of that his company is heavily involved with the Saudis and he was pro brexit. There is nothing about Jim that makes me want him.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Was Jassim ever getting Manchester United?
I think he staged a power PR operation to get into the conversation and reached fans worldwide but the lack of previous relationship with the current majority owners was always a pitfall.

Don’t think it’ll affect his reputation and will likely give him a platform if he’s is to further explore investing in football.

I don’t care for who owns the club myself, who ever owns this club will face criticisms constantly. We are not a club that needs an owner to make us relevant, we are already relevant.

People will need to realise Manchester United has to come off the stock exchange for it to move forward. Till then it doesn’t really matter who owns the club. We started down this path long before the Glazers but many fans are choosing to forget 1991 happened.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yeah unlikely for facilities to be under their remit with just 25%. But being able to revamp the structure and operations is a big deal and the most important one. Hopefully he changes us to operate smartly, implements a modern structure and puts the right people in charge, and we see a gradual improvement. Will take time for a real impact as doing things the right way usually means you aren't spending 100m on players or buying players already in their primes. Stuff that has an instant impact but also leads to a quick decline and running out of cash (like us now).
The strategic review was all about raising funds for facilities that have been in need of investment for years.
This is sounding like a PR move to appease fans

Status
Not open for further replies.