MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Could have :

- Wiped out all the existing debt and bought the club with no new debt
- Got rid of the glazers
- Build a new stadium
- Build a new training ground
- Not worry about FFP anymore and scramble for loans on deadline day

But we're stuck with brexit Jim overpaying for 25%, and then god knows what will happen. Does he even have the cash needed for the above stuff? I highly doubt it.
All that would have taken a lot of money, and the fact that Jassim didn't go any higher than he did indicates he was at the limit of what he was willing to spend. Indeed, him pulling out makes it more likely that it truly was just him as a businessman (possibly alongside a couple of others) that tried to take us over, rather than the state of Qatar using him as a front. In which case Ratcliffe is probably richer than Jassim.

Mainoldo

I’m not sure that’s true. If Jim had control of the clubs finances we would be hearing it right now. There’s a big difference between being in control of the sporting side and having the means and authority to stabilise the club.
Ed Woodward was in control of the sporting side and he had to run budgets, transfer fees etc past the Glazers.
That’s the club. We need money set aside for infrastructure as an example, that’s not in the sorting side. The club has to spend money elsewhere on the club apart from the sporting side. Phrasing it as if the Glazers are simply running the marketing department is bat shit insane and reads as a PR move
You are right but needs improving is the sporting side. What also needs improving is what is told to the owners. What we don’t need are yes men or non solution finders. I agree the Glazers will still not want to dip into
Their pockets etc. but if we have a top business man informing them on how we can invest in the Stadium at no cost but external investment and potential increased turnover I’m sure they will listen.

Gary Neville on national TV told us how we get a new stadium. It’s not hard. I was all for new ownership but we have to work with what we have. I would much rather have a top business man helping us out that nothing at all. Giving control of the sporting side I’m sure if he improves us they will want him to help maximise business profits too.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Bring them both in. Mitchell as DOF and Edwards as head of transfer negotiations.
United already have a don in negotiations, the guy from addidas.

I think negotiating millions of pounds worth of deals he has enough transferable skills to negotiate football contracts

AFC NimbleThumb

Well, we do have enough details about the Qatari bid to be fully aware of what a shit outcome that would’ve been for the club, the devil being Qatar state ownership. In terms of the Ratcliffe offer, do you genuinely believe it’s a £1,3b billion investment simply for a 25% stake of the club and that’s it?
You’re doing something I mentioned earlier in this thread & instead of talking about the Ratcliffe bid you’re comparing it to the Jassim one which is gone now thus irrelevant.

As for the 25%, I’m intrigued as to how this gives the fanbase what we hoped for when the initial statement came out. Right now I’m reading posters saying it could have a clause of anywhere between 2 to 8 years based on optimism alone.

I suppose my issue is, I don’t think that 25% is something he has to do. If you want to own the club make a bid for it in its entirely. It is then the Glazers prerogative to reject or accept a deal, if they don’t want to sell 100% then walk. By funding them partially you extend their stay & what’s quite clear is they can no longer afford to without external funds.

Now Jassim has pulled his offer Ratcliffe is in effect bidding against himself whilst the Glazers can not afford to run the club.

Also he’s not ‘investing’ £1.3b in the club, he’s buying shares with it. We actually have no idea what investment will be made to the club & that’s another reason wary.

This club can afford to spend as much as any if ran with no debt, that’s all I want. People saying those wary of Ratcliffe want shortcuts & Disneyland aren’t reading what I’m reading cause that’s not what people are saying.

There have been like 100 articles written this weekend thus it's hard to remember exactly where I read everything, but they definitely said INEOS are proposing to buy a combination of Class A and B shares. INEOS would become the single largest shareholder with 25% (presently, it's Joel with 19%).

I've not seen it confirmed in any report what percentage of each class INEOS will buy. Some posters seem to think it will be 12.5pp each of Class A and B, while others stated (0.25 × 69%) + (0.25 × 31%). I did read somewhere that suggested the Glazer voting power will be diluted, so I suspect they will either create provisions to give all shares purchased by INEOS Class B status, or perhaps they will scrap the dual share structure altogether and give all shareholders the same voting rights per share.

The Board apparently meets on Thursday, so we may not know until then.
Thank you for this.
And I heavily condemn it, don't worry. However, it's still different than an actual state taking over the club.
My point wasn’t that they are ‘the same’ though. My point is both come with massive Human Rights concerns yet a lot of posters seem to only be bothered about the Qatari ones.

If you object on the ground of Human Rights to one bid, I don’t see how you can be so happy about the Petro-Chemical dollars coming our way via Ineos.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
V difficult to believe it wasn't with the size of the offer and context about the country.
It's not difficult to believe at all, there are many people in the world with the money to buy us without state funding (there are undeniably links to governments however)

putzmcgee123

All that would have taken a lot of money, and the fact that Jassim didn't go any higher than he did indicates he was at the limit of what he was willing to spend. Indeed, him pulling out makes it more likely that it truly was just him as a businessman (possibly alongside a couple of others) that tried to take us over, rather than the state of Qatar using him as a front. In which case Ratcliffe is probably richer than Jassim.
We'll never know for certain, but I don't think Jassim losing the bid necessarily means it was not state-backed. We all know there is no way Jassim put up the entire 6 odd billion USD from his personal wealth. The 92 Foundation would have been a consortium with him as the head, but where the money was coming from seemed ambiguous. At bare minimum, I don't think something of this magnitude (i.e. bidding on Man Utd) happens without at least the blessing of the people at the top.

tomaldinho1

It's not difficult to believe at all, there are many people in the world with the money to buy us without state funding (there are undeniably links to governments however)
This sentence kind of contradicts your opinion it was private don’t you think?

JB7

Yeah there's just no way of spinning Jassim as anything other than a front for state ownership. The guys a member of the royal family, who's dad used to run the country and brother currently runs the country, while he runs the national bank. It's about as well hidden as Newcastle's charitable foundation or whatever it was.

Castia

I have the urge to go to Asda and throw Ineos products all over the floor like those nut jobs who used to throw milk down the aisles

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
And I heavily cheerlead and kiss the arse of the guy it, don't worry. However, it is propah Brexit, so much better than a private businessman from the same region directly taking over the club.
FTFY

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Pre-market shares down 10% which was expected if Ratcliffe is to win. Although I’d be interested to know what his plans are for the retails shares. Hoovering them up at a cheap price before making offers for the rest when the time comes to it?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
So we at least know that Sir Jim raised a good kid.
You are rated on this forum and I like you but you seriously need to take yourself out of this thread if you're going to be baiting United fans like this.

Other oppo fans would have felt the ban hammer for comments like this by now and you've made several.

Mainoldo

Probably taking out a massive loan on Ineos' books that United will need to service on top of the Glazer debt
Who do you think was paying for Jassim’s investment? Was they giving up billions because they liked us?

JB7

You are rated on this forum and I like you but you seriously need to take yourself out of this thread if you're going to be baiting United fans like this.

Other oppo fans would have felt the ban hammer for comments like this by now and you've made several.
Behave :lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People should wait to get the full details of the deal before rushing to judgement, even though I want the Glazers gone as much as anyone.
I find the briefings from Jassim's camp a bit of a joke to be honest. If he was so desperate, he would have done what was necessary. I find the crying and gnashing of teeth over Jassim to be juvenile. Did he think he was buying the club from people who genuinely care about the club? He wanted to buy the club from cold-hard greedy bastards. He should have conducted business in such a way and should have been flexible.
You can't now be crying that the Glazers are acting out of self-interest when that's been their MO since the day they walked through the door.

Marcelinho87

All I am taking from this is Qatar was too busy throwing soundbites at fans hoping that would be their in whilst SJR worked on multiple avenues to best get his foot in the door... He knew the Glazers didn't give two shits about infrastructure or any of that so would be a waste of time.... I suspect INEOS/SJR will have a full statement ready for the fans when the time is right.

Everytime Qatar said "We have 1bn to invest into the club" showed the Glazers that Qatar had more money - in hindsight, it was stupid from Qatar.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Yeah there's just no way of spinning Jassim as anything other than a front for state ownership. The guys a member of the royal family, who's dad used to run the country and brother currently runs the country, while he runs the national bank. It's about as well hidden as Newcastle's charitable foundation or whatever it was.
I expect he likely had some backing from the state, but if he was truly just a front I'd be surprised they didn't go higher with their offer. Also would have expected them to offer business benefits to the Glazer family under-the-table to put a bit extra into their pockets and encourage them to sell (and on the flipside put pressure on any business they do with Qatar if they refuse to sell).

It just feels they gave up too easily. I'm not saying the entire deal definitely wasn't state-backed, but I also don't think it's the certainty that some are making out.

JagUTD

Oof. So Jassim might have removed the Glazers but seemingly done nothing to address the other major problem, arguably the biggest issue of incompetence ruling the roost.

Wonder how this will go down with some.

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
I know were all in shock and a bit confused but this idea that 92 would have kept Arnold and Murtough and is terrifying and to me may have dodged a bullet here, they were prattling on about signing Mbappe, Camavinga etc, what kind of transfer approach is that.

INEOS comes in, clears house and rebuilds staff and playing staff would be interesting and a much needed upgrade.

Steve Bruce

I just think that they where already offering a massive premium for United and the Glazers wanted too much more. I bag of crisps cost £1. It's the last bag for mile, I'd probably pay £2 but if they are asking a tenner, i'd tell them where to go, it's not that I can't afford the tenner, it's more that I'm not prepared to be ripped off by that amount.

If Qatar offered the 6 billion, they'd need to then further pay 1b for debt, then 1.5-2b on a new stadium/training facilities and that's before we even touch the team. So it would have cost around 9b just to get United bought, debt free and a stadium/training facilities on par with City off the pitch. Then goodness knows how much it'll cost to get a team to match or better city. So yeah, I don't think it's quite as simple as he couldn't afford it, but more like they weren't prepared to full bend over to Glazers demands.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Oof. So Jassim might have removed the Glazers but seemingly done nothing to address the other major problem, arguably the biggest issue of incompetence ruling the roost.

Wonder how this will go down with some.
Jesus. The whole point of wanting new owners is so the structure is torn out root and stem and replanted. Glazers make 0 change year on year unless they're forced to which I find infuriating. Had Jassim done the same then the takeover would've been pointless from a results perspective.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse

“But, y’know, Jim will make one too many mistakes. They’ll see what I always knew and they’ll go in there, they’ll march in there, they’ll go ‘right, yeah, Jassim was right, you pissed off him, you pissed off him, y’know, right, you’re not the owner you think you are, right, so get out, we made the mistake’ and they’ll drag him out by his hair and that’s when the begging starts. Then they come to me and they’ll go ‘Ooh, Sheikh Jassim you were right all along, you were the right man for this job, you're the best man for this job. Will you come back?’ I'll be like, ‘Yeah sure how much money have you got? Because this is going to cost you, this is going to cost you.”
:lol:

that’s my radox

Steve Bruce

I know were all in shock and a bit confused but this idea that 92 would have kept Arnold and Murtough and is terrifying and to me may have dodged a bullet here, they were prattling on about signing Mbappe, Camavinga etc, what kind of transfer approach is that.

INEOS comes in, clears house and rebuilds staff and playing staff would be interesting and a much needed upgrade.
still doesn't address the 1b debt, the major overhaul/replacement of OT, the big expansion/upgrade of carrington and also signing suitable quality players for the team. INEOS has borrowed to put in the minority investment, where's the money coming for the billions needed spent to get United facility wise up their with the Citys and Spurs of the world?

JagUTD

Jesus. The whole point of wanting new owners is so the structure is torn out root and stem and replanted. Glazers make 0 change year on year unless they're forced to which I find infuriating. Had Jassim done the same then the takeover would've been pointless from a results perspective.
The fact this is coming from his mouthpiece as well leads me to believe there's at least some truth to it.

Thankfully we will never know the horrors that might have transpired.

Laurencio

Wasn't the Qatari bid all cash upfront whilst the Ratcliffe bid is all sorts of ifs and maybes spread over different time periods?
What does that even mean? Cash up front, how does that work? They wanted to pay 5bn now, while INEOS are willing to pay more now (per share) and even more down the line? Clearly the Ratcliffe bid is superior for the Glazers.

JB7

I expect he likely had some backing from the state, but if he was truly just a front I'd be surprised they didn't go higher with their offer. Also would have expected them to offer business benefits to the Glazer family under-the-table to put a bit extra into their pockets and encourage them to sell (and on the flipside put pressure on any business they do with Qatar if they refuse to sell).

It just feels they gave up too easily. I'm not saying the entire deal definitely wasn't state-backed, but I also don't think it's the certainty that some are making out.
Look I'm surprised as well; state ownership of any kind was the last thing I wanted but I believe that if they really wanted United, they'd have got it. They just didn't want it as badly as they wanted to make everyone believe, as shown by the "United's loss will be someone else's gain" soundbites that are already coming out. At the end of the day the costs mount up quickly with the promises they were making, which also went to show the Glazers that they had more and more money, which we all know the Glazers would rather have in their own pocket than anywhere else.

johanovic

There must be a process in place after the supposed 25% buy inn...I can not belive that Ratcliff is buying into the club without having set out the plan of owning the majority of the shares soon or that being agreed on before hand. Him handing the Glazers money without a end game in sight is just not possible. Is he buying shares and then bringing in a loan that can be turned into shares at a given timepoint? I do not know but there is no chance that INEOS have not thought this through to the end...but we will have to wait an see.

Steve Bruce

But this is all about the 'feelings' of people. No one knows and now we'll never know in regards to what the Qatar bid would have done.

JB7

There must be a process in place after the supposed 25% buy inn...I can not belive that Ratcliff is buying into the club without having set out the plan of owning the majority of the shares soon or that being agreed on before hand. Him handing the Glazers money without a end game in sight is just not possible. Is he buying shares and then bringing in a loan that can be turned into shares at a given timepoint? I do not know but there is no chance that INEOS have not thought this through to the end...but we will have to wait an see.
There's very very little chance of this, lets be fair.

tomaldinho1

:lol: What is this post!?

What does that even mean? Cash up front, how does that work? They wanted to pay 5bn now, while INEOS are willing to pay more now (per share) and even more down the line? Clearly the Ratcliffe bid is superior for the Glazers.
From what i read the Qataris were willing to pay 5bn cash upfront, whereas the Ineos bid was at a higher valuation but it would only be a small portion now with the rest coming later subject to financing.

Status
Not open for further replies.