Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedUnited86

The fact is that everything will still require sign off by Joel and Avram so Ratcliffe and Ratcliffe’s men will be hampered by exactly the same issues Murtough and his ilk have had before.
Yeah, big Jim has spent billions just so he can be the next Murtough :rolleyes:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yes because that’s what Ratcliffe is purchasing I hope. Complete power on the football side.
Do you think Avram and Joel’s signatures will no longer be required on, say, transactions over £10m?

If their their sign off is required, do you think they will sign off based on complete faith? Or do you think they will require a dossier of sorts explaining the purchase? If they do require a dossier, let’s call it persuasion, do you think they will have found a way to be any quicker in that process than they have been historically?

laughtersassassin

Do you think Avram and Joel’s signatures will no longer be required on, say, transactions over £10m?

If their their sign off is required, do you think they will sign off based on complete faith? Or do you think they will require a dossier of sorts explaining the purchase? If they do require a dossier, let’s call it persuasion, do you think they will have found a way to be any quicker in that process than they have been historically?
You really think JIM would spend 1.8 bil for sporting control if he thinks it meant he'd have no sporting control?

I get not trusting the Glazers but it simply would make no sense for Ineos as a company. And they are much more business savy than the Glazers.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
To the Glazers Manchester United is a marketing / sports entertainment business first, football club second. Thats why they run us the way they do. Don't grant them the credit of running us as a football club. If they did that they would be investing and structuring the operations entirely differently (i.e. with care) rather than doing the minimum to keep us at the top of the tree when the big deals need negotiating.
Then why would they allow anyone else to spend their money. Or allow someone to spend money which can end in their pocket?

Minority owner can't get autonomy in spending money. Anywhere. That kind of business doesn't exist.

Utd7

For those against Qatar due to state ownership - understand that until we know for sure Sir Jim has an air tight agreement for eventual full control - United will likely be state owned anyway down the line if the Glazers really believe the club can reach a higher valuation (8-10B). You’re just delaying the inevitable. At the above figure, only so many can afford the club. Not that many can afford now under the Glazers current valuation.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
One thing for sure is that Ineos are not going to spend £1.50bn to be the Glazer’s be-atches
They obviously won't do that.

It's remarkable to see how many people seem to entertain that idea. I don't know what it is. Pure stupidity or some kind of emotional, non-rational reaction to the news.

If people genuinely believe that ol' Jimbo has been - somehow - duped (by the cunning Glazers), they're stupid (I'm sorry, but they are).

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Impressive, you appear to be assuming I'm in support of INEOS. I'm not. Also Brexit is completely inconsequential to me.
No I don't assume it - I'm genuinely interested in the comparison of Jassim Vs Jim from someone with 'moralistic tendencies'

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Yeah, big Jim has spent billions just so he can be the next Murtough :rolleyes:
A lot of people completely missing what I’m saying here.

Ratcliffe isn’t replacing Murtough and I’ve never said as such. I said he will install people who will be hampered by the same indecision that hampered everyone else.

If you’ve followed transfers at all you’ll know that we’ve often delayed them because Joel/Avram are not totally convinced and like to have time to digest it before signing off £50m-£100m of club funds.

I don’t see a situation where Joel and Avram are not required to sign off those sorts of transactions. Let’s say Michael Edwards was given the role and had full footballing autonomy. We go into next year with the plan that we need to sign two players which will be £100m each and 3 others that will be £50m each. Even with full footballing control, that is a financial decision with risk on Joel and Avram’s investment so I am absolutely certain that they will be just as slow to sign the funds off and we will be just as cumbersome in the transfer market.

The idea that “100% footballing control” somehow also covers club funds because it relates to transfer dealings is beyond naive.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

Ratcliffe isn’t replacing Murtough and I’ve never said as such. I said he will install people who will be hampered by the same indecision that hampered everyone else.

If you’ve followed transfers at all you’ll know that we’ve often delayed them because Joel/Avram are not totally convinced and like to have time to digest it before signing off £50m-£100m of club funds.

I don’t see a situation where Joel and Avram are not required to sign off those sorts of transactions. Let’s say Michael Edwards was given the role and had full footballing autonomy. We go into next year with the plan that we need to sign two players which will be £100m each and 3 others that will be £50m each. Even with full footballing control, that is a financial decision with risk on Joel and Avram’s investment so I am absolutely certain that they will be just as slow to sign the funds off and we will be just as cumbersome in the transfer market.

The idea that “100% footballing control” somehow also covers club funds because it relates to transfer dealings is beyond naive.
The situation is neither are managing directors. Exactly like the other Glazers who own more shares.

Thomas A.Anderson

Astounding how people don’t realise how much we’ve lost out on.
You all are chatting so much shit. We didn't lose out on anything, we probably got saved.

Let's look at Qatari sports ventures. PSG is a shitshow. They are running that club like clowns. Malaga is in 3rd tier in Spain on the safe road to bankruptcy. Well done guys.

Or let's take a look at Sheikh Jassim's business side. He became a board member at Credit Suisse Bank and in the span of 10 years, they managed to go from 1,4 trillion in deposits to 500 billion. It's an unprecedented collapse. They had to bailout the Credit Suisse, it was finished. Hi is a failed businessman, with no experience in sport or football.

We dodged the real bullet.

Laurencio

Because owner is an owner. You can't be majority owner of something without giving approval for basically everything. Jim can get football stuff to manage but at the end Glazers are the ones who sign a paper with approval to invest 50 million for new right winger or 5 million for new DoF.

People ask question why would Ineos invest 1.5 billion without having some control. Ask a different question; Glazers refused 5 billion for whole club. Why would they sell "only" 25% and allow someone to be in control how club will spend money?

For me, there is absolutely no way that Ineos will have autonomy to spend money on players and staff without Glazers having a last say on that. Absolutely zero logic in that. Because, at the end, it is STILL their club.
I will tell you why they would do this. They genuinly believe, and have analysts telling them that the club could be worth 8-10bn dollars in 4-10 years. They have also got analysts telling them that in order to achieve that valuation the club needs sporting success and they need more investment than they can provide.

They currently have 75.7%, they are selling 25% for 1.5bn to INEOS, leaving them on 50.7%. Their shares have been valued at a total of 4.5bn - total club valuation 6bn. Should the club reach those lofty valuations they would recieve 4-5bn more, earning them a total of 6-8bn for their shares when they sell out. Compared to the 3.75bn they would have gotten from the Qataris 5bn total valuation.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
You really think JIM would spend 1.8 bil for sporting control if he thinks it meant he'd have no sporting control?

I get not trusting the Glazers but it simply would make no sense for Ineos as a company. And they are much more business savy than the Glazers.
See above. If you think the Glazers will totally relinquish control over club finances relating to player transfer you’re going to be in for a surprise.

“100% footballing control” will cover the scope of the footballing hierarchy and the footballing direction, there’s no way they will forfeit oversight of how the club finances are spent. What if he decided to do a Boehly and spend £1bn over the next year?

Roboc7

So despite retaining majority control of the club, despite having their own capital still at stake they’re going to have a complete personality change and put all their faith in people they did not personal hire to spend hundreds of millions of the company they own’s money?

Would you like to buy a bridge?
So you think INEOS are spending all this money and missed the most basic concept that there is a link between the finance and sporting aspects?. You genuinely believe they’ve spent all this time and money to just have Murtough’s job and at no state anyone stopped to think that defaulting every decision to Joel/Avram might not be a good idea.

It’s been obvious for years that no one was going to give the Glazers money and allow them to just carry on as normal. It makes zero sense, any minority investor was always going to want much more.

Andy_Cole

I understand what you’re saying. But I believe from reports this is the situation:

Jim buys 25% now including 100% footballing power (which includes transfer budgets etc. )
Jim will buy the rest in a staggered approach over the next years.
Glazers the greedy cnuts are just looking to get the most money possible. They don’t care about United. So they’ve been convinced buy Jim that this is the best offer. How? Jim pays them the 25% money now (with his demands) and then pays whatever the valuation is in due course. That in the Glazers minds is more than what Qatar offered now as they think we will be worth more in the future.

I’m basing all this on the few reports. Nothing confirmed.

Teja

Does anyone know how the deal is structured? Does it buy out a few of the Glazers entirely with the ones that wish to remain remaining?

Laurencio

See above. If you think the Glazers will totally relinquish control over club finances relating to player transfer you’re going to be in for a surprise.

“100% footballing control” will cover the scope of the footballing hierarchy and the footballing direction, there’s no way they will forfeit oversight of how the club finances are spent. What if he decided to do a Boehly and spend £1bn over the next year?
You can't have control without controlling the purse, basic business - there is no way they have an agreement that doesn't give them budgetary control.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
They obviously won't do that.

It's remarkable to see how many people seem to entertain that idea. I don't know what it is. Pure stupidity or some kind of emotional, non-rational reaction to the news.

If people genuinely believe that ol' Jimbo has been - somehow - duped (by the cunning Glazers), they're stupid (I'm sorry, but they are).
There are many other scenarios why they bought it.
They will be in charge for football stuff in a way to hire football stuff, reshape scouting network, youth system and things like that. For larger sums (transfers and contracts) they must go to the board (Glazers).

Also, having 25% of Manchester is an investment for the future. Ineos idea is that club's value will go up in future. United (and any top club) is just a good investment with more and more money coming in football and with ME buyers lurking behind the corner you can always sell it for more money.
And nobody is arguing that they will not have a vote about stuff. But people here behaving like we will have club inside a club. Business Man Utd with Glazers as owners and FC Man Utd with Jim as owner.

FriedClams

No I don't assume it - I'm genuinely interested in the comparison of Jassim Vs Jim from someone with 'moralistic tendencies'
I don't agree with the core values and principles of either to be honest. You have to understand, for me, its not even so much about Qatar being evil, it's just that I would prefer we come as close as possible to reversing our current trajectory through honest means, and the Qatar money is just winning the lottery. We become everything we teased man city for.

Marcelinho87

Then what are Glazers remaining with? It doesn't make sense.
Manchester United is a football club. Everything else comes second after United being a Football club.

Let's say Glazers go and buy 25% of Ineos, then they demand for complete power in INEOS Chemical business, does it make sense?
To us the fans it is a football club but it's quite clear that in the last 10 years we have been anything but - we have been run solely as a commercial enterprise with football secondary to that.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I know, it's his net worth which is almost entirely tied to INEOS shares. It isn't liquid assets, it's not cash, it's available income. To move that to United he would have to sell part of INEOS which he isn't doing and why the biggest banks in the world are involved in his project, he is borrowing that money.

Thomas A.Anderson

Yeah, they will. It will be probably the first thing in the contract.

Also, are transfer funds really that much of a problem? We spent loads of money in the last 10 years. They weren't really shy in giving transfer and salary funds. The problem is how were those funds spent, transfer fees given by our incompetent directors, salary given to players. We had the money, we just spent it like idiots.

And crucially, our budget for the next years is already set by FFP. And it will not be huge. This brings as at the previous point, terrible management in the last 10 years.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
So you think INEOS are spending all this money and missed the most basic concept that there is a link between the finance and sporting aspects?. You genuinely believe they’ve spent all this time and money to just have Murtough’s job and at no state anyone stopped to think that defaulting every decision to Joel/Avram might not be a good idea.

It’s been obvious for years that no one was going to give the Glazers money and allow them to just carry on as normal. It makes zero sense, any minority investor was always going to want much more.
Do you genuinely believe the Glazers are going to relinquish all oversight and let someone else spend whatever they want? What if Ratcliffe dies and INEOS change direction and decide not to buy the club. What if for whatever reason INEOS goes into financial difficulties and cuts the sporting wing. Whatever the scenario, the fact of the matter is until they don’t, the Glazer’s will still be majority owners of this club and will have a vested interest in protecting their investment.

I understand what you’re saying. But I believe from reports this is the situation:

Jim buys 25% now including 100% footballing power (which includes transfer budgets etc. )
Jim will buy the rest in a staggered approach over the next years.
Glazers the greedy cnuts are just looking to get the most money possible. They don’t care about United. So they’ve been convinced buy Jim that this is the best offer. How? Jim pays them the 25% money now (with his demands) and then pays whatever the valuation is in due course. That in the Glazers minds is more than what Qatar offered now as they think we will be worth more in the future.

I’m basing all this on the few reports. Nothing confirmed.
See above. I just don’t see any way that they do not still have some oversight on financial dealings. What if Ratcliffe’s football director and co decided to spend £500m next summer? That’s half his investment worth of club funds he’s spending, you don’t think the Glazer’s will be required to sign off on that?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
For those against Qatar due to state ownership - understand that until we know for sure Sir Jim has an air tight agreement for eventual full control - United will likely be state owned anyway down the line if the Glazers really believe the club can reach a higher valuation (8-10B). You’re just delaying the inevitable. At the above figure, only so many can afford the club. Not that many can afford now under the Glazers current valuation.
Ratcliffe/INEOS won't be handing over 1.5 billion to the Glazers saying: "Right, here's some money, we now own a part of this thing."

There will be specific terms, conditions, clauses, etc.

If the Glazers could just sell their remaining shares to the highest bidder, Jim obviously wouldn't have been interested in 25% in the first place.

Again: How stupid do people think Jim is?

RedRocket9908

This plan of SJR is never going to work, the Glazers want the club to run as a comercial operation rather than a Footballing operation so as soon as they are in a position where they feel they can make more money from doing things differently to what Sir Jim is doing they will probably try to go against him in-fighting will start.

I dont believe for a second that SJR is going to come in and immediatly spend billions of INEOS's money on the debt, the stadium, and training ground when he will only own 25% of the club, nothing will probably be done to any of those until he at least has a majority share.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
You can't have control without controlling the purse, basic business - there is no way they have an agreement that doesn't give them budgetary control.
I’m not even arguing against that. I’m saying that when it comes to it, if we are spending £100m on a single player it will still end up on Joel’s desk and he’s not going to change who he’s been his entire life and rubber stamp it without doing his own due diligence first which has the potential to hold things up.

bstb3

Then why would they allow anyone else to spend their money. Or allow someone to spend money which can end in their pocket?

Minority owner can't get autonomy in spending money. Anywhere. That kind of business doesn't exist.
The same way they allow their employees. With budgets and board oversight. No one is saying Jim would have open rein on the bank account / ability to make debt. Only that within a budget set aside for the sporting element he could restructure and run it as he / his team sees fit. I'd be very surprised if they were ever involved in day to day running lower than signing off on the major deals as it is.

R0nald0

Under a rug on top of a mountain under the stars.
A lot of people here giving their opinions as facts! Like you, I don't have any facts about this but I do know for a fact that you can own 25% of a business but have control. I would expect the shares to be reconfigured and the INEOS shares to have full voting rights (making decisions) whilst the Glazer shares not having voting rights but having dividend rights - so it CAN be done.

Now for some opinion. I can't imagine INEOS would buy 25% without a pathway for the other 75%. It can't afford to buy the entire business today so taking 25% with an agreement to buy the other shares on a deferred basis makes sense. Someone above gave a good reason why the Glazers would do it - they can take £1.5bn off the table today but still participate in any valuation growth in the business. A lot of people have said "why would they give up football control" BUT the big thing is that the value of a football club isn't hugely dependant on results. Take Man Utd, the value of the club has grown exponentially despite us having a horrific 15 years.

My guess on the deal is:-

£1.5bn for 25%
An agreement on the valuation calculation principal for the rest of the club - a multiple of EBITDA as an example - with tranches agreed at set dates

All just a guess though!

pascell

I care for one.
He would have got rid of our debt, arranged OT and Carrington etc etc .
He will be an angry man.
We all care but what can we do to change what's going to inevitably happen?

The guy in the video suggested Todibo is the better buy, younger and future leader.

I've personally not watched much of him at all, so I thought he made good points.
Sorry, its your wording was out so I didn't quite grasp it.

What did he say about Ratcliffe?

MDFC Manager

I know, it's his net worth which is almost entirely tied to INEOS shares. It isn't liquid assets, it's not cash, it's available income. To move that to United he would have to sell part of INEOS which he isn't doing and why the biggest banks in the world are involved in his project, he is borrowing that money.
Well he should fecking sell some of his ineos stake to invest in United, now that he's finally getting to own his boyhood club!

mu4c_20le

When Jim kicks the bucket in 5 years time. Who takes over?
If he is healthy and takes care of himself there's no reason he wouldn't live into his 80s so that's at least 10-15 years. Another end of an era where we'll get sold again.

Laurencio

Ratcliffe/INEOS won't be handing over 1.5 billion to the Glazers saying: "Right, here's some money, we now own a part of this thing."

There will be specific terms, conditions, clauses, etc.

If the Glazers could just sell their remaining shares to the highest bidder, Jim obviously wouldn't have been interested in 25% in the first place.

Again: How stupid do people think Jim is?
Apparently very stupid and with no discernable sense of business. Which would be unusual for one of the richest men in the country.

RedDevil@84

I will tell you why they would do this. They genuinly believe, and have analysts telling them that the club could be worth 8-10bn dollars in 4-10 years. They have also got analysts telling them that in order to achieve that valuation the club needs sporting success and they need more investment than they can provide.

They currently have 75.7%, they are selling 25% for 1.5bn to INEOS, leaving them on 50.7%. Their shares have been valued at a total of 4.5bn - total club valuation 6bn. Should the club reach those lofty valuations they would recieve 4-5bn more, earning them a total of 6-8bn for their shares when they sell out. Compared to the 3.75bn they would have gotten from the Qataris 5bn total valuation.
That is a lot of speculation. What is in it for INEOS in all this?

Status
Not open for further replies.