Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

quadrant

Im a bit wary about the links with Michael Edwards. Not in criticism of the frankly amazing job he did at Liverpool, particularly his hit rate with buying players. Rather that it feels a bit like chucking around one of the only names that anyone in the game has heard of in the DOF role, the sort of backroom equivalent of a galactico.

The club needs a corporate sporting vision. Yes that phrase is vomit inducing, but its true, we need more than just a vision for how play football on the pitch. We need a vision for how scouting, training, recruitment, the academy, fan relations even the marketing and branding all point in the same direction. Id rather get the vision first, then fill the slots second.

Matt Varnish

For me I never liked the idea of being a state-owned plaything. The way Qatar conducted the negotiations seemed desperate and unrealistic. Leaking all their ideas by social media, tapping up ex-players and refusing to find a way to negotiate a winning deal with the Glazers made them look amateurish.

As far as Sir Jim is concerned, He has experience in owning football clubs, He has concentrated on conducting negotiations sensibly and privately. He clearly wants the best for United and will understand the problems facing this club far better than Qatar.
Qatar seemed to think that the answer was bringing in Zidane as manager and Mbappe up front. We’d have ended up as PSG 2.0 under Qatar, except the Premier League is much tougher than the French league so we wouldn’t even win any titles!
For me the whole Saudi bid was a little tongue in cheek, from only ever seeing a few photo's of the guy, to the fact he never appeared at OT, as a life long United fan he didn't appear to take a lot of interest in the deal.
Add to that all the fake news being posted by every Saudi United fan on twitter, it all seemed like a story only Disney could dream up.

One thing I have noticed with a bit of research is that whilst SJR may be the figurehead, he does tend to appoint people who appear to know what they are doing, some thing the United board have lacked for years, when you look at it as it stands now, there is not one person on that board who has a footballing pedigree.

tomaldinho1

I dont mean political in sportwashing for Saudi, I meant to put of positive spin on Ineos..
Do they need that? Many people pre takeover rumours didn't know them or thought of them as being a cycling team. I guess you can say they want people to know them and associate them with United but its very different to a country buying a club. Sportswashing is useful when people have a negative impression of something and over many years you can start to get people to affiliate your name with a sports team rather than the aforementioned negative things. In Ineos' case, who ever spoke about them in the general public before the take over? Have a keyword search on here in the General. It's kind of like if EIG or EPD wanted to buy a football team, people would mostly say 'who?'.

Laurencio

That's exciting, no doubt. As is Blanc, who seems to have a decent reputation despite the shitshow at PSG.
I feel like we have to add that to everyone who had worked with PSG. It's a very wealthy club that isn't run very well. The Man Utd of France, but without the competition.

Matt Varnish

Do they need that? Many people pre takeover rumours didn't know them or thought of them as being a cycling team. I guess you can say they want people to know them and associate them with United but its very different to a country buying a club. Sportswashing is useful when people have a negative impression of something and over many years you can start to get people to affiliate your name with a sports team rather than the aforementioned negative things. In Ineos' case, who ever spoke about them in the general public before the take over? Have a keyword search on here in the General. It's kind of like if EIG or EPD wanted to buy a football team, people would mostly say 'who?'.
If you follow F1, you know who INEOS are, their name is plastered all over the Mercedes cars, it's an integral part of Mercedes F1 livery

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
No chance there will be minimal change. Jim is not stupid and knows that the club needs a proper shake up. If he is going to even come close to success here he needs to get the fans onside asap, and the first steps towards that will be big changes.

The long term commitment can be a legit concern, but Jimothy is going to come into this club all guns blazing at least.
This is precisely my view as well.
There are in the main quite negative comments on this. But in my opinion, I am happy to take this on face value as a positive thing.
It is the football side of the business that most of us have been calling for to be modernised.
So let's not prejudge this news.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...-proposal-change/id1488521447?i=1000631492605

Interesting podcast from the Athletic. Quite informative.

They say that the Qataris actually met the Man Utd executive hierarchy and were very warm with them, as opposed to INEOS who were very critical of how the club has been run. They also say that this week "I think there'll be several people in Man Utd senior leadership feeling very fearful for their future" with Adam Crafton saying that INEOS lot made it clear that they didnt rate the United hierarchy.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
It's truly pathetic.

Won't support United because we won't win all the time. Accepts Arsenal as his son's team but omits the fact they won less than United last season.

Some of the sour grapes from the 'feelin' Qatari' crowd have been predictably embarrassing. Losing their shit with spurious phrases like 'high horse', but fair play, most have been dignified and open-minded going forward.
We won’t win all the time?? Jeesh, we’re not going to win the league at all mate. We’re just not financially set up for it in the modern game and won’t be able to compete with City. We might have a run where we get close like Arsenal did last year, but the days of United fighting for titles every year are long gone and not coming back.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Regardless of SJR buying a % something will have to give eventually. Whether it be ten years down the line or sooner the club needs solid investment and the debt clearing. If things do go sidewards and it ends up a disaster then another group will come in and buy them for a cut price due to mismanagement or forced into it due to high debt levels.

Is the plan for INEOS to take full control and transfer the debt onto their books? I’ve no idea how this deal benefits the team or the club, are the Glazers taking the money out of the club for themselves? I can’t see any of it being invested into the club as they have effectively sold 25% of their share's, this is where the government or premier league should be stepping in and forcing them to clear the debt before they make profit, same for any organisation.

Marcelinho87

Regardless of Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE buying a % something will have to give eventually. Whether it be ten years down the line or sooner the club needs solid investment and the debt clearing. If things do go sidewards and it ends up a disaster then another group will come in and buy them for a cut price due to mismanagement or forced into it due to high debt levels.

Is the plan for INEOS to take full control and transfer the debt onto their books? I’ve no idea how this deal benefits the team or the club, are the Glazers taking the money out of the club for themselves? I can’t see any of it being invested into the club as they have effectively sold 25% of their share's, this is where the government or premier league should be stepping in and forcing them to clear the debt before they make profit, same for any organisation.
Some reports say full control as early as 2024 and existing debt stays where it is with a plan in place and new debt transferred to INEOS books.

MDFC Manager

Pretty sure they don't have a choice. The decision is already made by the people who matter. It's just a legal requirement.
Most likely this gets ratified but nothing is a given with these scumbags. Remember the 'process' that was started didn't mention either a deadline, or that the conclusion will result in a sale or investment at all.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

:lol:
If this quote is true then I feel that they are focusing on the wrong person. It's Blanc they need to worry about, Ratcliffe didn't hire him for no reason.

putzmcgee123

Got a feeling Jimmy Glazers offer won’t get through the vote on Thursday.
Almost no chance of this imo. Jassim would not have walked away if he thought it wasn't a formality. The obstacle with INEOS has long been the snubbing of Class A shareholders, which is reportedly resolved with their current deal structure. The Board has no reason to vote against it. The absolute scenes though if they both chase away Jassim's full acquisition at a massive premium and vote against the only other bidder who is also buying up some shares at a premium. The investment funds and other Class A shareholders would sue the Glazers and the rest of the Board into the next millennium.

MDFC Manager

According to the Athletic, he does.

Qatar approached them friendly and warmly whereas Jim told them directly that they are failures.
Excellent!

If this quote is true then I feel that they are focusing on the wrong person. It's Blanc they need to worry about, Ratcliffe didn't hire him for no reason.
Any background on Blanc, the good bad and ugly?

Infra-red

It's inconceivable that Arnold or Murtough will stay in post if Ratcliffe takes control of football operations and is given powers to appoint the CEO. They will both be out immediately.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Bit off tangent but was wondering do you know much about Blanc / do you feel having his input would be valuable to United? I hadn't heard of him until very recently.

putzmcgee123

That's right, class B shares have 10x voting power. Also I believe glazer class B shares turn into class A shares whenever sold, but I guess when Jim buys those, there will be some amendments made to that clause.
Without a doubt. The deal makes no sense otherwise. I am guessing they either scrap the dual class share structure altogether or have provisions in the deal that result in all shares purchased by INEOS becoming Class B.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Excellent!

Any background on Blanc, the good bad and ugly?
Bit off tangent but was wondering do you know much about Blanc / do you feel having his input would be valuable to United? I hadn't heard of him until very recently.
As far as I know there is only good. He was the CEO of Amaury sport the organizers of Tour de France, Dakar or Paris Roubaix among others things, then he went to Juventus as a COO and became the CEO after Calciopoli, reorganized the club and led the operating side until he left, then he built the structure of QSI's PSG as the COO. On the last one it is alleged that Al Khelaifi pushed him aside in the last years which is why he left. And now he is officially INEOS sports CEO since February.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
As far as I know there is only good. He was the CEO of Amaury sport the organizers of Tour de France, Dakar or Paris Roubaix among others things, then he went to Juventus as a COO and became the COO after Calciopoli, reorganized the club and led the operating side until he left, then he built the structure of QSI's PSG as the COO. On the last one it is alleged that Al Khelaifi pushed him aside in the last years which is why he left. And now he is officially INEOS sports CEO since February.
Sounds like exactly the sort of person we need overseeing things :lol: very promising.

Maticmaker

Exactly. It sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare. Running the sporting side without having control of the financial side sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
Yes, it does, hope I am wrong, but the old adage about "follow the money" seems apt.

With ownership of 25% of the club, will Sir Jim have enough leverage to be able to really take the Glazers where they don't want to go? If not then this, as far as fans are concerned, is likely to be a non-event.

Sure, the Glazers will 'budge' on certain issues, may clear up some transfer making decision protocol's, if Sir Jim requests it, may even appoint a proper DoF, but it all has that feeling of 're-arranging the deck chairs...'. When it comes to forking out possibly £B's to build a new stadium, or to even update OT would cost £0.5B (to do it properly), to make things better at Carrington, not to mention bringing in new players, etc. all this, at this time, seems highly unlikely. Maybe over a 10 or 15 year period a development/evolutionary plan might achieve some of this, but it still takes some believing!

Still, lets keep our fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
If Sir Jim turns the club's fortunes around then rimaldo and I are going to stock our wine cellar with nothing but bottles of INEOS antibacterial hand wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.