Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

buchansleftleg

Even if the board don't ratify the deal today, I suspect they will be told some more details and those will be leaked to the press by directors who may have an agenda / suspect they will be replaced by Jimbob Squarepants people.

stevoc

I know. But let’s be honest they was never going to let Qatar own United. The ‘right’ people never came in so they figured another way.
You think the Glazers turned their noses up at billions because they hate Qatar?

Who were the 'right' people?

Meep

I am only happy that a fascist autocratic country's state backed company doesn't own my favorite team. That's all. I long for the day when dictatorships cant compete on our democratic markets.

bludsucker

So yes, the Glazers would have a say, but so would Ratcliffe, however, neither is picking the players or determining the contracts. Transfer budgets are the least of the concerns.
I would say that transfer budgets are the most important thing in a football club. If Ratcliffe doesn’t get control of that then what does “control over footballing matters” even mean. Does he get to fire the manager. Does he get to appoint a new DOF without interference from the Glazers?

That is why i am saying the news about Ratcliffe getting footballing control is bullshit.
No sane businessman will cede control of the most important operations of a company to a minority investor.

Last edited:

astracrazy

Sir Jim Ratcliffe and his two partners in Ineos have a combined wealth of £43bn. I think they they are good for the money. And they were able to demonstrate this both in the Chelsea and MUFC bids.
You realise wealth doesn't equal cash.......right?.......right?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Nobody at United wants the club to fail, including the Glazers. It's tempting to assess those clowns as uncaring and greedy but that is how you know they want us to succeed: doing so advances them.

We clearly need a change in personnel to provide the direction and expectation.

Can Ratcliffe et al provide this? Possibly, possibly not, but they're likely a strong improvement over the glazer family.

Rumours abound on how Qatar will have ran us: marquee signings and 'investment' to make Qatar look good. Executive roles for people like Beckham, cronyism, in real terms, the same deadly
mismanagemnt which has plagued United for a
decade. They'd have more money but not the nous to use it. Sound familiar?

It's all contingent on whether the Glazers can be removed from the football side of matters. I think this is the hold-up: they're worried they can't control #Pogback money-spinning transfers. How Ratcliffe negotiates the next fortnight is key.
Any change is a gamble, but most fans are ready for literally any new option since it's been a decade of mismanagement.

With INEOS there is some track record to look at with Nice & Lausanne - unfortunately it's not too good but maybe they are learning from mistakes.
If you want to talk about cronyism then just look at how Jim put his brother in charge of football operations at INEOS!

92F obviously have no track record but it's not necessarily an issue, the new owners at Newcastle have started annoyingly well for example but at the same time you see the absolute mess at Chelsea.

Probably irrelevant at this point but I'd have been happy to see the likes of Beckham or Neville back at the club in some capacity, I think the major problem was actually having too many non-footballing people (Glazers, Woodward etc) making football decisions.

Woziak

According to Mike Keegan there is "zero chance , Jassim comes back in".

I have also read that his ceiling for his offer was not high at all. After debt. It would have approximately £4.2 billion for the Glazers.

The funding of the stadium and the areas surrounding Old Trafford was likely to bevstate funded.

It is also fair to say the 92 foundation bid was not progressing since early June.

It goes to show how much crap people in the media have been talking when referring to this potential sale.
But that information came from the Muppeteers, who seem to be gloating as they clearly have a leak from INEOS, right now I’d wait until we have all of the actual data. I also don’t think they are a credible source and have a biased agenda.

The stronger rumour was the bid was £5.6bn which was made last week but it came too late and that after the debt was paid the Glazers would get about £5 billion nearly double the market value, however still less than INEOS 25% bid who had offered £1.5bn for 25% yes £1.35 bn is being quoted, however there is an additional £150m to be invested to help with immediate cash flow problems. Lots of small print, lots of contract agreements to be included, Jimmy deal is incredibly complexed, I think it will happen now as there no one else in the room to bid against, however from the Glazers point of view the last thing they want right now with only one bidder in the room, is for Ineos group to think they’ve bid £1 billion more ?

What’s to stop Ineos from now going in with a lower bid or demanding 51% and more control, nothing is signed yet!

The third option of the Glazers staying is still very much on the table!

Laurencio

I would say that transfer budgets are the most important thing in a football club. If Ratcliffe doesn’t get control of that then what does “control over footballing matters” even mean. Does he get to fire the manager. Does he get to appoint a new DOF without interference from the Glazers?

That is why i am saying the news about Ratcliffe getting footballing control is bullshit.
No sane businessman will cede control of the most important operations of a company to a minority investor.
Unless the real deal is a full sale for X billion pounds, or a number of pre-agreed put-calls, but in order to avoid legal issues with minority stake holders the agreement is specifically designed to give the appearance of a minority sale, while functionally being a majority sale. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a full sale for Glazer only shares that is being dressed up as a convoluted minority share aquisition.

Aussie_Red_Devil

Just because we heard of a reputed DOF doesnt mean he will succeed at United. I don't think there are any certs for this.
How do you define a top DOF and their operation? These are boffins behind their computer screens, in rooms most people arent allowed to visit.

As fans, we can only go by reputation. But like the past managers, reputations don't always guarantee success.

We will only be able to judge with hindsight.
I wasn't saying a top DoF was saying it all starts at the top by hiring the right DoF. Aka get the right people in the right positions from top to bottom.

bludsucker

Unless the real deal is a full sale for X billion pounds, or a number of pre-agreed put-calls, but in order to avoid legal issues with minority stake holders the agreement is specifically designed to give the appearance of a minority sale, while functionally being a majority sale. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a full sale for Glazer only shares that is being dressed up as a convoluted minority share aquisition.
You realize that the glazers abd ratcliffe are opening themselves up to a deluge of lawsuits if as you say its a majority sale dressed up as a minority stake sale. Also put and calls are just that they give you an option to buy rather than an obligation to buy. I mean how stupid does somebody have to be to believe that buying 25% will give you control over the most important operations of a company. If that were the case then i would buy the stake in any going concern and then take terrible decisions to devalue the club into nothing and then buy it for pennies.

Laurencio

You realize that the glazers abd ratcliffe are opening themselves up to a deluge of lawsuits if as you say its a majority sale dressed up as a minority stake sale. Also put and calls are just that they give you an option to buy rather than an obligation to buy. I mean how stupid does somebody have to be to believe that buying 25% will give you control over the most important operations of a company. If that were the case then i would buy the stake in any going concern and then take terrible decisions to devalue the club into nothing and then buy it for pennies.
That depends entirely how they go about it. Your other points are valid, but given that they reportedly seem to be giving him full operational control, 25% of the voting power (and thus the power to stop special resolutions) and INEOS seem to be confident that they will have full control before 2026 - Glazers are either incredibly naive and giving INEOS the power to do what you just suggested, or something else is going on.

Mainoldo

You think the Glazers turned their noses up at billions because they hate Qatar?

Who were the 'right' people?
No I think they turned their noses up because they didn’t offer enough money. But people seem to think they can decide what price is acceptable to another individual.

My point around politics was that negotiations from the outside seem to have been a lot more straightforward than with Qatar.

spwd

I am only happy that a fascist autocratic country's state backed company doesn't own my favorite team. That's all. I long for the day when dictatorships cant compete on our democratic markets.
But as utd7 pointed out below who else do you think will buy us if we're worth £8b+? The only bid for 100% has pulled out because the cnuts are taking the piss with the valuation and thought it was too much!

@Utd7 Said.
For those against Qatar due to state ownership - understand that until we know for sure Sir Jim has an air tight agreement for eventual full control - United will likely be state owned anyway down the line if the Glazers really believe the club can reach a higher valuation (8-10B). You’re just delaying the inevitable. At the above figure, only so many can afford the club. Not that many can afford now under the Glazers current valuation.

GoldanoGraham

We won't here anything from them publically, they signed an NDA. What has been said by Romano is going to be the closest to a personal announcement.
An NDA doesn’t stop you moaning about the process or how it was handled. Just the detailed data/numbers/sensitive stuff.
I would have assumed that there will be definite leaks about the process soon.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
:lol:

Pes6Monster

92F obviously have no track record but it's not necessarily an issue, the new owners at Newcastle have started annoyingly well for example but at the same time you see the absolute mess at Chelsea.
92F have their mess at psg. Of course, they are completely different people running that club, only it isn't.

Any change is a gamble, but most fans are ready for literally any new option since it's been a decade of mismanagement...Probably irrelevant at this point but I'd have been happy to see the likes of Beckham or Neville back at the club in some capacity, I think the major problem was actually having too many non-footballing people (Glazers, Woodward etc) making football decisions.
Neville and Beckham have become non-football people, the former is a media figure whereas the latter is a common celebrity who was on a bidder's payroll.

Neither have any qualification in running a serious football club. Neville's tenure as manager of Valencia (granted to him by his mate Peter Lim) was an absolute disaster. Qatar's bid is massive signings, jam tomorrow and the boy's are back! All a bit Woodward.

You raise a good point about Ratcliffe's operation, though, and it's obviously more pertinent. He seems to have a select squad in mind, tried and trusted staff who have produced mixed results elsewhere. A good reminder Ratcliffe is not any silver bullet.

Still as nervous about our next move as I was months ago.

Ahmer Baig

After 220 pages on this thread I have yet to see any evidence of Sir Jim’s genius as a football club operator — in terms of performance on the pitch. If it exists could someone post it? Thanks!
You could say the same about Sheikh Jassim.

pascell

An NDA doesn’t stop you moaning about the process or how it was handled. Just the detailed data/numbers/sensitive stuff.
I would have assumed that there will be definite leaks about the process soon.
There's already been leaks about the process from the Qatari side and it screamed off them throwing their toys out the pram as they didn't get the deal that suited them.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

I presume it's being able to choose the CEO and/or DoF (or possibly install himself as CEO). He wouldn't by himself be able to decide how much the club is spending, but he could decide what percentages of it get allocated to what areas. Stuff like that. I certainly hope it wouldn't be more involved than that, as there's no reason to think he'd be any good at being hands-on.

Obviously the Glazer's would have to agree with that, and there's only two ways that would happen. Either they are of the belief that he would be better in that role than they or the people they trust to do it currently are (and therefore we'll have more success which will make them more money), or his offer is completely reliant on them giving him that power and they consider the offer worthwhile.

No idea if it's true or not, but I expect that'd be the way it would happen. Even if it is true it'd obviously have conditions to it.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
This type of delusion is what makes people in the rest of the world make fun of the 'West'.

Not to mention that it's the leaders of these so-called democracies themselves that invite the autocrats into the countries they're elected to govern.

Unless you find a source of reliable renewable energy, the West cannot isolate itself from the countries that hold the keys to their economy. And we know the population won't vote for getting poorer, so it's just one huge hypocritical circlejerk.

greenoffpearson

If it's 50% class A and 50% class B like rumoured then that would rule out class A stakeholders having a claim they have been cut out.
Yes, that appears to be the position.

However we are told/not told that they still have not come to a definitive agreement and therefore we don't know, although you would assume that they have canvassed the bigger A class investors.

What is still unclear is that if Sir Jim is seeking to purchase the whole club then that agreement would need to be part of the text and they, Sir Jim/Glazer's, would need to consider the issue of dissent.

cyberman

If it's 50% class A and 50% class B like rumoured then that would rule out class A stakeholders having a claim they have been cut out.
Why? The law protects all A class shareholders. They can’t just buy some form Joel Glazer and side step it all

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

United already spend a ton in the transfer market. That’s what I meant.

Once again the Glazers aren’t involved on in the day to day running of club. I’m not sure how many times this needs to the said. The board may vote on a DoF if they go that route but that’s about it.

From what I read, Radcliffe would be the largest individual shareholder.

Maticmaker

If this happens it's time for scorched earth policy from us fans. Games would need to be abandoned,mega store closed, sponsors relentlessly bombarded with messages in no uncertain terms saying their products will be boycotted. Nothing good comes easy in life, time for the fans to earn our keep.
:lol::lol::lol:

Telsim

It seems many people don't understand the difference between operational and ownership control and the role of a corporate board of directors. Boards create bylaws for a reason. Reading through this thread is a good lesson in the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Nobody here is saying the board of directors will get together to vote every time the club wants to sign John Smith for 100M, or when the cleaning lady wants to change the brand of soap in the bathroom dispensers.

But over the years there have been many reports from various sources that the Glazers, which is to say Avram and especially Joel, personally sign off on pretty much everything the club does. That has been cited as one of the reasons why everything takes ages in this club. Me, and many others I believe, are skeptical they will now relinquish this kind of control to someone else. Particularly someone who still has a long way to pay for that kind of privilege. I very much doubt Ratcliffe will have any actual influence until he takes over... if he takes over. The whole "control of football operations" is just window dressing.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
It's more that the legal challenges appear to be coming from certain sections of Class A shareholders so SJR is offering those a premium on those shares and getting his foot in the door by taking some Class B's as well.

My guess is he would then try and tank the value of the remaining Class A's and pick them up on the cheap while still acquiring the Class B's at a pre-agreed amount.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters

Transfer budgets at United have rarely been a problem, the readies have been made available, the most important thing is how it's spent, in United's case poorly, fix that and a lot of issues go away

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
92F have their mess at psg. Of course, they are completely different people running that club, only it isn't.

Neville and Beckham have become non-football people, the former is a media figure whereas the latter is a common celebrity who was on a bidder's payroll.

Neither have any qualification in running a serious football club. Neville's tenure as manager of Valencia (granted to him by his mate Peter Lim) was an absolute disaster. Qatar's bid is massive signings, jam tomorrow and the boy's are back! All a bit Woodward.

You raise a good point about Ratcliffe's operation, though, and it's obviously more pertinent. He seems to have a select squad in mind, tried and trusted staff who have produced mixed results elsewhere. A good reminder Ratcliffe is not any silver bullet.

Still as nervous about our next move as I was months ago.
I don't like the way PSG are run and I don't think it's the same people, but I'd say they have been relatively successful in recent times - better than us based on CL anyway.

Don't agree on Nev and Becks at all - both are firmly involved in football (literally both own actual football clubs) and successful business men. I'd happily take them back at the club in some capacity.

Sir Jim is far from a silver bullet but at the moment it appears he's our last hope of any real change and even that is far from guaranteed, a sad situation for sure.

TheGodsInRed

Why? The law protects all A class shareholders. They can’t just buy some form Joel Glazer and side step it all
Not really. People buy minority shares all the time. Show me the law where you have to leagally buy all shareholdings rather in one go rather than buying in this example 12.5% from the NYSE?

I only have a moderate interest so if you're an expert in business law please feel free to share relevent links as I would be interested to see.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
It's more that the legal challenges appear to be coming from certain sections of Class A shareholders so Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE is offering those a premium on those shares and getting his foot in the door by taking some Class B's as well.

My guess is he would then try and tank the value of the remaining Class A's and pick them up on the cheap while still acquiring the Class B's at a pre-agreed amount.
None of this will happen IMO - where does the rumour that his 25% will be 50/50 Class A/B even come from? I think it's unlikely to be that way, although all is possible

The most likely is that SJR is buying 25% straight from the Glazers

TheGodsInRed

It's more that the legal challenges appear to be coming from certain sections of Class A shareholders so Sir James Arthur Ratcliffe FIChemE is offering those a premium on those shares and getting his foot in the door by taking some Class B's as well.

It's an interesting one as the share price only rocketed because of the SJ statement about buying 100% of the club, which they shouldn't have made, as they were under a NDA and 100% of the club wasn't for sale, only the Glazers seeking "strategic alternatives".

justsomebloke

Great. So, now it's actually nothing, but many weeks from now maybe it'll be something. Of some sort.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I don’t think anyone seriously thought that this would be done by the January Window. I wouldn’t even hold my breath for the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.