Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Clearly the press have been completely guessing at who will fill the new roles for a while, never mind the muppets etc.

Will be a few months until any appointments are made I expect.

ShinjiNinja26

I see the media have picked up where they left off from the takeover saga by regurgitating the same old shite and making out like it’s new information. We know who the favourite candidates for CEO, DOF and head of recruitment are, we also know there’s other names in the hat as well, so no need to remind us every single day.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Honestly baffled at people not wanting Gill back in the fold. He was an outstanding CEO for us.
I honestly doubt that any of the former management, including SAF, have what it takes to change this club. We need fresh blood by people who have done their job very well in the past 10 years

Overhaul FC

So currently we've got No1 in place yet, CEO, sporting director or head of recruitment.

INEOS had months while waiting for the deal to go through that they could've lined people up, so would've thought it happens quickly when they're officially in place. Let's see.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
So currently we've got No1 in place yet, CEO, sporting director or head of recruitment.

INEOS had months while waiting for the deal to go through that they could've lined people up, so would've thought it happens quickly when they're officially in place. Let's see.
Precisely, they aren't officially in place yet.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Honestly baffled at people not wanting Gill back in the fold. He was an outstanding CEO for us.
Was he?

He was good at what he did in what was a very different Manchester United.

He let Fergie get on with his job when we were fairly settled as a club and let that paid dividends. Even the Glazer takeover didn't really see a downward turn in performances until Fergie left.

I'm not sure how good Gill would be at helping to rebuild a structure. He has zero experience of that. He never had to think about sacking a manager, planning a fairly major ground rebuild/revamp etc.

If he's been taken on as an advisor/consultant, I can see the logic. Anything else would be a concern.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You or me could have been in charge and had a successful period while Sir Alex was in charge.

The club would have been successful if Woodward was in charge while Sir Alex was manager.
In my opinion, David Gill is the CEO version of Gary Neville. He's loyal, he's stable and he's uninspiring. On the upside

a- He knows United inside out
b- He comes with a sterling reputation having worked with United, the FA, the UEFA and FIFA
C-He fought tooth and nail to keep the Glazers out. From what I heard he did far more then SAF did
d- He's known to run a tight ship (wage structure etc) while concurrently fully trusting the football people on football matters.

The downsides are

a- Gill knew how important SAF was and yet he did nothing to soften the blow. By the time SAF retired we should have had a sporting director, a head of recruitment and a team of data analysts on board whether SAF liked that or not
b- the moment SAF retired the man jumped ship.

My opinion means little though. Its what the Glazers and INEOS think that count. It seems that they have an issue on who the CEO should be so a happy medium needs to be met. Gill had previously worked with the Glazers, he probably has SAF's support and his economics are very much in line to INEOS ethos.

Revan

Assumptionman
I hope it is not Gill. He did very well for us but that United and the current one do not have much in common.

When Gill was out CEO our football department strategy was ‘do what SAF says’. For the last 11 years we have been doomed trying to keep that strategy against all odds. If he still thinks that we should have a God-Emperor manager, or even a strong managerial position, we are doomed again. We need to move to a head coach position as soon as possible.

When Gill was here, we did well financially but a) we were very a much an Empire at the height of its strength and b) Woodward and Arnold were in charge of the commercial departments. There is no Woodward and Arnold, and we are a fallen Empire.

We need new blood, not someone who is good when things are good. We need a revolutionary, not a has been.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Gill would be a very, very poor choice of CEO. The club was stagnating long before SAF retired, in no small part due to Gill.

pascell

They're talking about entrusting a headhunting firm to appoint a new CEO, which I think is probably a good move unless they decide to promote one of Baty or Stewart. For the sanity of the casual observer, I hope they go with the headhunting firm and bring in a external candidate. This also doesn't mean that INEOS won't have sporting control, but there is a difference between who the board of directors are, and the people who direct the football side of the club. The Glazers will for sure have a say on who the CEO is.

The return of Ed Woodward

davidmichael

You said it yourself that they’re not in place officially yet as they need to do the first owner test thing first but the fact Blanc and Brailsford are openly attending United matches says they’ll be involved in some form even if it’s through Ineos rather than on the United payroll, if Gill is on the United payroll but Blanc and Brailsford are used through Ineos then it’s a clever move by Ratcliffe to get around certain rules and regulations.

JediSith

This has flattened the optimism a bit
I posted a while ago about too many cooks in the kitchen. One of the reasons was that I couldn’t see what role Blanc would be doing as a CEO… if he’s just negotiating transfers and only involved in football etc then it’s not really a CEO. And if he’s only involved in football then his ideas / opinions could conflict with with all the other people linked eg Answorth & Mitchell etc

JediSith

Think about it

a- He was alongside Brailsford during the last game
b- He has worked under the Glazers and he's got SAF's support
c- He's experienced and lead us to a successful period during a time when we were tight
Problem with Gill is he is also very stingy. At least Ed Woodward understood the commercial value of marquee players.. it’s just that he signed the wrong ones. Gill from my understanding refused Aguero due to the cost being too high.

Waynne

The Glazers put Ineos in place and let them run the club for them. Why is everyone pretending Ineos/Sir Jim runs the show now. They dont. Its still the Glazers. If Sir Jim is successful its because of the Glazers. I know its hard to hear but truth is truth.
Whatever the case I'm happy that they're looking to recruit the best in class football brains to run the show. That's all I care for now. Glazers or no glazers, I want to see a clear identity in our football and it looks like we're going to be building one.

What's there not be excited about?

DownRiver

Edwin Van Der Sar anyone?

Although he will have to undertake 70 lashes, one for each million he made United spend on Antony.

Rojofiam

Although he will have to undertake 70 lashes, one for each million he made United spend on Antony.
Wasn't he hounded out of Ajax because of the terrible job he did there?

He used to be, or I guess he still is a fancy name for a potential role at the club, but I think we should steer clear.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
They're talking about entrusting a headhunting firm to appoint a new CEO, which I think is probably a good move unless they decide to promote one of Baty or Stewart. For the sanity of the casual observer, I hope they go with the headhunting firm and bring in a external candidate. This also doesn't mean that INEOS won't have sporting control, but there is a difference between who the board of directors are, and the people who direct the football side of the club. The Glazers will for sure have a say on who the CEO is.

I am struggling to think about internal appointment. If they were any good they would have been noticed a long time ago. External appointment makes more sense

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Ineos have been clear that their role from now to the end of the season is a mostly observational one so perhaps many are reading too much into this. They should be taking a more hands on role as things progress but their initial role will be to understand what is currently happening around the club.

devilish

Problem with Gill is he is also very stingy. At least Ed Woodward understood the commercial value of marquee players.. it’s just that he signed the wrong ones. Gill from my understanding refused Aguero due to the cost being too high.
Then he will align perfectly to what the Glazers and Ineos want given our financial situation

Marcelinho87

Gill would be a very, very poor choice of CEO. The club was stagnating long before SAF retired, in no small part due to Gill.
I believe that was the Glazer shackles beginning to peer through.

Gill always did what was best for the club or at least in the best way he could, in my opinion.

Loon

:lol:
Ferguson had nothing but praise for David Gill. I'll go with the legendary football manager.

devilish

United was in a near impossible situation. They knew that SAF carried most of the football structure of the club by his own and that if he leaves then the whole structure would fall. The legend had done things the way he did since forever, he was in no mood to change his ways and at his age he could easily say 'feck it, I am retiring' if irked. I understand him more then others because the company I worked for was in a very similar situation.

Thus we were caught in a catch 22 system were the system needed huge restructuring but huge restructuring might be enough to persuade the only man whose holding it to show the finger and leave.

I still believe that Gill should have at least persuaded SAF to think about the club's future by letting new personnel come in. These people would have little to no impact on SAF's operations but could immediately take over once the man retired.

AndySmith1990

It would be such a United thing to look to the past for answers to our problems. It'd also be very disappointing. This club really needs a complete reset when it comes to the running of the footballing side, involving hiring people who are familiar and experienced with how successful clubs are being run in recent years, not how United used to be run when Ferguson was manager

bringbackbebe

So if Ratcliffe comes in and starts promoting a lot of youth into the team, similar to Fergie's Fledglings or Busby's babes, are they going to be called Racliffe's rats? This one bit worries me...

devilish

Van Der Sar was CEO when Ajax suffered the biggest meltdown for the past 30 years. He had since suffered brain haemorrhage whom he's recovering from it. That might be down to stress. Do we really want to put someone's life in danger cause let's face it, United is a stressful place to work in.

Bright_Eyes

So if Ratcliffe comes in and starts promoting a lot of youth into the team, similar to Fergie's Fledglings or Busby's babes, are they going to be called Racliffe's rats? This one bit worries me...
Didn't know Ratcliffe was gonna replace Ten Hag as manager!

Status
Not open for further replies.