Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobbieBerns

As sad as it is to admit it, following along with the CEO appointment and looking forward to who comes in as DoF, head of recruitment etc. and the keeping up with the process of the Ratcliffe rebuild is all I have any interest in as a United fan at the moment.

Never before in my life have I been so completely detached from the first team. Genuinely aside from Martinez, Mainoo, Gsrnacho, and Hojlund I want rid of them all and am looking more forward to the mass culling of the squad and staff than the rest of the season.

Marcelinho87

As sad as it is to admit it, following along with the CEO appointment and looking forward to who comes in as DoF, head of recruitment etc. and the keeping up with the process of the Ratcliffe rebuild is all I have any interest in as a United fan at the moment.

Never before in my life have I been so completely detached from the first team. Genuinely aside from Martinez, Mainoo, Gsrnacho, and Hojlund I want rid of them all and am looking more forward to the mass culling of the squad and staff than the rest of the season.
This gets said multiple times whenever the team isn’t doing great, last year they were the best thing since sliced bread and it was “great to have a likeable squad again” after the Pogba circus and co.

Marcelinho87

I’d be surprised if it is Ashworth given the appointment of Berrada. You’d think Ashworth would want complete control on the footballing side but surely the point of hiring Berrada is he’s at least somewhat involved.
Wouldn’t any CEO anywhere be involved?

TheReligion

Abusive
I’d be surprised if it is Ashworth given the appointment of Berrada. You’d think Ashworth would want complete control on the footballing side but surely the point of hiring Berrada is he’s at least somewhat involved.
I mean what’s the basis for this view?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I mean what’s the basis for this view?
That I don’t see Ashworth fitting with Berrada as explained in the post? It’s an opinion. I don’t think we’d go with a CEO with a footballing background if we were about to give Ashworth the full autonomy on the football side of things I suspect he’d want. We shall soon see though.

TheReligion

Abusive
That I don’t see Ashworth fitting with Berrada as explained in the post? It’s an opinion. I don’t think we’d go with a CEO with a footballing background if we were about to give Ashworth the full autonomy on the football side of things I suspect he’d want. We shall soon see though.
What’s the opinion based on though? Not sure what it’s based on tbh

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I assumed a CEO would oversee both sides.
I’m sure he will. Otherwise why would it matter if he knows football or not? This is also why news has come out about INEOS having there thumb in more than just the football pie. It’s all interlinked and the CEO is ultimately responsible for the whole club.

Infestissumam

from the Telegraph article:

Ineos wanted Berrada in place first so he could have some valuable input into the choice of director of football given their strong belief that the two men and the manager must “share a vision” and work as a “coherent whole”.
that ... almost sounds like a functional football club. I'm a United fan, please tell me how to handle this

Sir Erik ten Hag

Wouldn’t someone like him enjoy working with a CEO who knows football as well?

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Is it true that the 25 mill that was paid to put through the sale to Sir Jim came from the United coffers? The Glazers apparently didn't pay it, so that is 25mill that could have been in the transfer fund

onemanarmy

Is it true that the 25 mill that was paid to put through the sale to Sir Jim came from the United coffers? The Glazers apparently didn't pay it, so that is 25mill that could have been in the transfer fund
Yes, and if I remember correctly, it's common practice and would have been illegal even if it didn't came from United. Others here will be much more knowledgeable about it than me.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Was always going to be the case which is why the Ratcliffe offer which was for only Glazer shares was completely unfeasible.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He'd be crap in today's game anyway.

Since Klopp announced he was jumping ship (and couldn’t be arsed with a rebuild) I keep hearing this narrative that Fergie would be eaten alive by Klopp and Guardiola. One of Fergie’s biggest strengths was his ability to adapt.
Imagine if prime SAF had been at the club since 2013. If he had been given the £900m or whatever the club has spent since then, he would have won far more than the 1 league title that Klopp won.

Pep and City definitely wouldn't have won the same amount of domestic trophies as they have won currently.

SAF adapted for 30 years, football changed a lot from 1985 to 2013. Suggesting he wouldn't adapt again with an absurd amount of money to spend is ludicrous.

Overhaul FC

Might be an unpopular opinion but I think if Ten Hag has finally admitted that he needs to play a real CM with a CDM then things are going to get a whole lot easier on and then off the pitch.

With Amrabat coming back from Afcon aswell I don't want to see anyone playing in midfield besides Casemiro, Mainoo and Amrabat. It always needs to be 2 out of those 3.

Although it was only Newport, another decent performance was against Liverpool away where we played 2 actual midfielders too.

The Eriksen and Mount experiment ultimately failed and aslong as Ten Hag accepts that we can move forwards from here til the end of the season. Being tougher to beat. That can help change a culture of losing.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Imagine if prime SAF had been at the club since 2013. If he had been given the £900m or whatever the club has spent since then, he would have won far more than the 1 league title that Klopp won.

Pep and City definitely wouldn't have won the same amount of domestic trophies as they have won currently.

SAF adapted for 30 years, football changed a lot from 1985 to 2013. Suggesting he wouldn't adapt again with an absurd amount of money to spend is ludicrous.
Especially as he only seemed to be getting better.

In Fergie's last seven years here, we won five league titles, lost one on goal difference and lost one by one point. We won one CL, got to two other finals (only losing to arguably the greatest football team of all time with the greatest player of all time) and probably would have won another in 06/07 if not for injuries destroying us in the semi.

While the team obviously needed rebuilding and that level of dominance wouldn't have continued, it would have been a very different story if SAF had been able to continue.

Stinkypete

I feel like you are confusing the roles. The CEO reports to the board, he is in a commercial role. What Manchester United and the Glazers have failed to realise in the past is that the commercial and Football side go hand in hand and ideally in modern structures you want a CEO that understands that and has experience there.

It's the job of the CEO to bring in money through sponsorships, connections and managing investments that benefit the club commercially, and to be fair in Woodward and to a lesser extent Arnold we had CEOs who could do this side very well, however that lack of understanding in the football side of things led to such thinking as "we are Manchester United, we can do things other clubs only dream of" and "Disneyland of football".

As we see, this line of thinking has come home to roost in recent years with regards to profit/loss, our financial position in world football, our reputation, and our FFP position. Berrada has been brought in as CEO because among other things he understands that success on the pitch is important to keep the club fruitful commercially. That does not make him a director of football.

The director of football is hired in this structure based on a vision of how they see the club growing on the field from a sporting perspective. They are below the CEO but hired by the CEO to implement a collective vision. Then below the director of football you would have a head of recruitment.

Head of recruitment would be hired by the CEO and Director of Football based on the collective vision and would lead the scouting team in finding and contacting talent that fits into the vision.

It's very likely that we will see a Director of Football like Ashworth above a head of recruitment like Mitchell/Freedman.

You can't do these structures in half measures such as your belief that we have a football minded ceo who can be our director of football. That's not how successful structures work.

Status
Not open for further replies.