Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woziak

Following the 3-1 victory in Paris, Rio Ferdinand was ecstatic in the BT Sport studio. Almost in tears, Ferdinand was raving.
"Listen, Man United might not thank me but get the contract out, put it on the table. Let him sign it," said Rio. "Let him write whatever numbers he wants to put on there, given what he's done since he's come in. Ole's at the wheel, man. He's doing it. He's doing his thing. Man United are BACK."

Take, for instance, his answer to the prospect of entering boardrooms as a club executive at some point. In 2019 Ferdinand met with Ed Woodward over the technical director role at Manchester United, and though nothing came of the talks it is easy to see what the 42-year-old could offer in that capacity.

“Maybe one day if the right opportunity came,” Ferdinand starts, before letting a grin spread. “I think I’d be fecking unbelievable at it.”

https://theathletic.com/2936593/202...d-player-pundit-influencer-sporting-director/
Like I said fans wanting to show disunity or try and one up the last fans statement because there is a genuine 66/34 split Qatar/SJR whatever suites their agenda for the record my agenda is consistent I Don’t care who wins as long all of the Glazers leave this Summer !

Can’t you see the real Issue here, we are looking at Everton’s GK, A Leeds Relegated CB, an English midfielder that isn’t fancied, A free Agent who plays CM and is a well known knob end and a 20 year old kid with half a season that we will end up paying £65m to improve ETH squad next season.

No I don’t blame SJ or SJR for this embarrassing set of transfer targets to improve a team that just got 75 points and finished 3rd. The Glazers parting gift will be to alienate even more fans with their behaviour of not even being able to relinquish control with dignity, they will leave us in 6th place when the Top 5 next season Qualify For CL simply be dragging the process on 2 months more than it needed to be?

Woziak

The fact we are nearing the end game is the most pleasing aspect.

It doesn’t make a difference if this gets done now or another 2 months. Ultimately we’ve got a set budget we are allowed to spend due to the enforced FFP rule since last year locking it to 90% of revenue. Getting new owners in isn’t going to change that. The only thing that can change our budget for this window is player sales. I’d imagine the team that is in charge of recruitment and sales is going to be the same team in charge when the new owners come on board (for this transfer window at least).

So the best we can hope for is the takeover gets done regardless of timeframe and that we are able to move on some players in order to boost our budget.

We are going to have to ride the consequences of our poor spending in recent seasons for a couple more transfer windows at least I’d imagine.
Getting new owners that clear the debt raises the budget by £50m so there is that

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Getting new owners that clear the debt raises the budget by £50m so there is that
Let's imagine these reports are accurate and that we can spend in the region of 150m - not accounting for what we bring in from sales. That applies to cash spent this summer, i.e. not if we're brokering deals with instalments, right?

estel_manutd

They are forced though, by poverty, albeit not by Qatar, but they are grievously exploited when they get there.
This is largely false. Guest worker programs in the ME are among the highest return anti-poverty programs in the world. These programs can near double average earnings of migrant workers, and migrant workers who choose not to participate are *not* driven by poor working conditions or excessive work but because they are not willing to give up their lives in their home countries for much higher wages in the ME. That is, there is unobserved heterogeneity in tastes for migration. Here is an excellent recent paper on the topic: https://economics.ubc.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/38/2022/09/20221123_Suresh-Naidu.pdf

Here is a key quote: "However, in contrast to the way the media represents guest worker jobs in the GCC (e.g. McQue 2022, Human Rights Watch 2017), the lower levels of well-being are not driven by poor working conditions or excessive work hours as we find work satisfaction and the desire for more hours to be similar in our treatment and control groups. Thus, many individuals in poor countries are not willing to give up their lives in their home countries for much higher wages in the GCC."

croadyman

No surprise that Qatar is winning this. Well, lets see how this will go
Lawton clearly is being told something different,however he is the only journo reporting that. The likes of Ducker & Stone still see it as two horse race. Reuters going with the line that Jassim bid is more favoured

croadyman

The fact we are nearing the end game is the most pleasing aspect.

It doesn’t make a difference if this gets done now or another 2 months. Ultimately we’ve got a set budget we are allowed to spend due to the enforced FFP rule since last year locking it to 90% of revenue. Getting new owners in isn’t going to change that. The only thing that can change our budget for this window is player sales. I’d imagine the team that is in charge of recruitment and sales is going to be the same team in charge when the new owners come on board (for this transfer window at least).

So the best we can hope for is the takeover gets done regardless of timeframe and that we are able to move on some players in order to boost our budget.

We are going to have to ride the consequences of our poor spending in recent seasons for a couple more transfer windows at least I’d imagine.
So if that's indeed the case then why have we seen reports that the takeover situation is delaying transfer business

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I might be very wrong here but isn't there a different set of rules for new owners with FFP?

Pretty sure Boehly has a different set of rules for a few years or leniency because of him or am I misremembering?

Judas

Open to offers
I did think Qatar would win in the end, if they really wanted it. But honestly, as it gets closer (in a way) my belief that it'll not be much better than rich shambles like PSG gets more and more intense. This whole thing has been a mess, hopefully its more so due to the Glazers than our potential new owners...

mu4c_20le

I might be very wrong here but isn't there a different set of rules for new owners with FFP?

Pretty sure Boehly has a different set of rules for a few years or leniency because of him or am I misremembering?
It was because he was an American with zero understanding of the sport

izec

Lawton clearly is being told something different,however he is the only journo reporting that. The likes of Ducker & Stone still see it as two horse race. Reuters going with the line that Jassim bid is more favoured
I trust those 3 over Lawton

croadyman

I trust those 3 over Lawton
Yeah his opinion had legs when others were saying Ratcliffe was leading too,however some have switched to saying Jassim is now leading or majority still saying it's a two horse race.

croadyman

What do people think is the truth about how long it will take when preferred bidder is finally named as Ducker is saying process will be quick,however Keegan/Lawton are saying could take 8-12 weeks.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
From a Professor of Government at Georgetown University's Doha branch (the whole thing is worth reading):

"the dichotomy between “state” and “business” is not strictly accurate. Although the separation of “state” from private enterprises may be conceptually helpful, in reality there are multiple points of intersection and nexus that bind the two and their fortunes together. More specifically, the paper argues that the business community has turned into one of the main clients of the state and that the relationship between the two is one of patron and client...​
...Political power in Qatar is concentrated in the hands of a few, who are tied together and to the next layer of power-holders through overlapping marriage and business interests; the latter layer are in turn tied to the next layer also through marriage and business ties, and so on. These concentric circles of power, from an inner-circle core to the outer layers of society, constitute the central means through which the political elite—namely the ruling Al Thani—are linked with successive layers of Qatari society...​
The private sector provides a source of riches and one of the main avenues to wealth accumulation. Not surprisingly, state actors, both at the level of civil servants and the elite, are often part or full owners of private enterprises. Many also serve on one or more company boards. But, through awarding contracts and owning shares within private enterprises, it is ultimately the state that underwrites the health and well-being of the private sector. In order to solidify its ties with the state, over time, the private sector has emerged as one of the supporting pillars of the authoritarian state."​

Aside from that, our man gets name-dropped specifically on p.4:

"The Al-Fardan family, for example, are generally assumed to be close business associates of Hamad bin Jassem Al Thani, who was Prime Minister and Foreign Minister as well as head of the Qatar Investment Authority under Shaikh Hamad bin Khalifa. During Hamad bin Jassem’s tenure in office, in addition to state contracts being awarded to firms owned by his close family members, especially his brother Khalid and his son Jassem, the Al-Fardan were generally assumed to be beneficiaries of lucrative state contracts."​

Mike Smalling

Regardless of the winner, I wish this would just reach some kind of conclusion soon. If it fecks up the transfers window for us, it would almost be unbearable.

noelyman

Some people are having a bit of a mare in this thread. The amount of arguments for arguments sake that are ongoing is quite the wonder to behold. Certain posters seem determined to make this 'show me the proof' a hill to die on (or maybe it's a Cliff.) Even in spite of all the contrary evidence put forward as proof by raoul and 2 cents among many others. You've been hit with all the proof anyone needs to make a reasonable conclusion that it is more than likely to be a state backed bid, but seem steadfastly unable to see the wood for all the trees.

noelyman

From a Professor of Government at Georgetown University's Doha branch (the whole thing is worth reading):

"the dichotomy between “state” and “business” is not strictly accurate. Although the separation of “state” from private enterprises may be conceptually helpful, in reality there are multiple points of intersection and nexus that bind the two and their fortunes together. More specifically, the paper argues that the business community has turned into one of the main clients of the state and that the relationship between the two is one of patron and client...​
...Political power in Qatar is concentrated in the hands of a few, who are tied together and to the next layer of power-holders through overlapping marriage and business interests; the latter layer are in turn tied to the next layer also through marriage and business ties, and so on. These concentric circles of power, from an inner-circle core to the outer layers of society, constitute the central means through which the political elite—namely the ruling Al Thani—are linked with successive layers of Qatari society...​
The private sector provides a source of riches and one of the main avenues to wealth accumulation. Not surprisingly, state actors, both at the level of civil servants and the elite, are often part or full owners of private enterprises. Many also serve on one or more company boards. But, through awarding contracts and owning shares within private enterprises, it is ultimately the state that underwrites the health and well-being of the private sector. In order to solidify its ties with the state, over time, the private sector has emerged as one of the supporting pillars of the authoritarian state."​

Aside from that, our man gets name-dropped specifically on p.4:

"The Al-Fardan family, for example, are generally assumed to be close business associates of Hamad bin Jassem Al Thani, who was Prime Minister and Foreign Minister as well as head of the Qatar Investment Authority under Shaikh Hamad bin Khalifa. During Hamad bin Jassem’s tenure in office, in addition to state contracts being awarded to firms owned by his close family members, especially his brother Khalid and his son Jassem, the Al-Fardan were generally assumed to be beneficiaries of lucrative state contracts."​
That's all very well and good 2 cents. But where is the proof? :lol: Seriously though man. Great work.

Woziak

Let's imagine these reports are accurate and that we can spend in the region of 150m - not accounting for what we bring in from sales. That applies to cash spent this summer, i.e. not if we're brokering deals with instalments, right?
Nearly all transfers will be done with instalments right now, but if SJ 92 Foundation won and it was completed by August 15th so 8 weeks. We would gain another £50m due to wiping the debt and no longer having to service that debt with interest payments. If we sold D Henderson for £25m you would probably add £10m to budget so you could be looking at £250-300m but remember player wages go on this too for new transfers.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Nearly all transfers will be done with instalments right now, but if SJ 92 Foundation won and it was completed by August 15th so 8 weeks. We would gain another £50m due to wiping the debt and no longer having to service that debt with interest payments. If we sold D Henderson for £25m you would probably add £10m to budget so you could be looking at £250-300m but remember player wages go on this too for new transfers.
That’s more than enough for a quality striker, midfielder, defender, and keeper.

croadyman

Regardless of the winner, I wish this would just reach some kind of conclusion soon. If it fecks up the transfers window for us, it would almost be unbearable.
Feels like they have fecked up negotiations with players due to their utter greed. God knows when things are actually gonna start to look up for us in this window.

Lost bear

The Glazers cannot even feck off with a hint of efficiency or dignity. I have to laugh or I’ll cry.

Teja

That’s more than enough for a quality striker, midfielder, defender, and keeper.
I'm hoping for a big Jan window / next summer with Qatar. Don't think they'll be able to do much this summer given the pace at which the deal is moving.

Pop quiz. How do you write 500M transfer Kitty legally without resorting to cooking the books
I assume you can do it once but the way the amortization works, you're hamstrung in future windows because of the way the deals are structured. We will also probably go full Chelsea and buy guys like Mudryk, Enzo etc on ridiculous fees.

croadyman

I'm hoping for a big Jan window / next summer with Qatar. Don't think they'll be able to do much this summer given the pace at which the deal is moving.

I assume you can do it once but the way the amortization works, you're hamstrung in future windows because of the way the deals are structured. We will also probably go full Chelsea and buy guys like Mudryk, Enzo etc on ridiculous fees.
Can live with that if the quality of player is good enough,such a pisser that it looks like those leeches will be seeing one more summer window

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Pop quiz. How do you write 500M transfer Kitty legally without resorting to cooking the books
Sell Fred, Maguire, McTominay and Elanga to Al-Duhai and Al-Arabi for a total of 500m. They'll be a regular there, win win.

roseguy64

All the academic literature on the topic I’ve tried to read up on suggests that the distinction between public and private spheres in the Qatari economy is extremely blurred to the point of being meaningless, that formal institutions are created and assigned to members of the Royal family for the purpose of strengthening the bonds of rulership and maintaining an illusion of separation between the spheres, and that the ultimate authority who decides on the allocation of important positions and resources is the Emir. Some quotes and links:

"Power in Qatar is distributed in a top-down manner, that is, by the Emir who allocates key government, civil service and private company positions to members of his family and to tribal figures...In Qatar, there is no real separation between the state and the private interests of the ruling family..."Power remains uninstitutionalized. There is no meaningful distinction, either political or legal, between the person of the Emir and the institutions of the state"...the state is not autonomous from private interests. It is difficult to establish the extent of this due to the lack of public information." (p. 40-41 https://www.google.ie/books/edition...itions+to+good+governance&printsec=frontcover)​
"the lack of clear boundaries between personal sovereign wealth and public sovereign wealth in the Gulf muddies the neat picture of Gulf SWFs as simple portfolio investment vehicles. The lines between the wealth of the ruling families and the wealth of the nation have long been murky in the GCC states...A further complication is the tendency of some member of Gulf royal families to co-invest personal ‘private funds’ alongside the sovereign wealth fund that they personally oversee. This trend has been most visible in Qatar, where the Emir of Qatar invested in Barclays at the same time as the Qatar investment Authority (QIA)."​
"The presence of ruling family members in the private sector makes the distinction between the public and private sectors in Qatar problematic. Since they support each other through public funds and public policies geared towards the best interests of these family members and local merchants, the distinction between public and private funds was also meaningless."​
"In Abu Dhabi and Qatar...ruling family members are in control of powerful companies that dominate the economy – either personally or through sovereign wealth funds...Merchant elites are now subservient to the ruling families and are obliged to adapt to the latter’s business priorities...Business interests in Qatar and the UAE are to a large extent protected by the close interconnection of often indistinguishable economic and political elites..."​
"despite the existence of government institutions that “formally” appear to separate the rulers’ funds from those of the state, in practice, the lack of transparent budgets and financial reports, render these distinctions artificial. Even the appointment of the director of the Qatari Chamber of Commerce is determined by the ruler who invariably appoints an al-Thani family member. Since the business community is not able to elect its own leader to voice concerns to policy makers, the Chamber of Commerce, in effect, acts more “as [a] government agency than an independent social association”​
Good post.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
In summary, state owned. Excellent post.
Since 2013 a lot has changed in the world and they’ve even hosted the World Cup, after bribing their way to winning the bid like Germany in 2006.

Last edited:

dudsies

My understanding is that there’s two parts - wipe out the debt and provide the capital for spending

so assuming that translates to £150m in FFP spending capacity, the total value of transfers in could be more like £400m (assuming 4 year player contracts).

regardless of whether the purchases are made upfront or via installments

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
If the Glazers sell to Qatar or SJR how long does it take for the owners to be ratified? The transfer window will be closed by the time this all gets finalised. The Glazers are truly screwing us over with this saga for next season.

Member 101269

All the academic literature on the topic I’ve tried to read up on suggests that the distinction between public and private spheres in the Qatari economy is extremely blurred to the point of being meaningless, that formal institutions are created and assigned to members of the Royal family for the purpose of strengthening the bonds of rulership and maintaining an illusion of separation between the spheres, and that the ultimate authority who decides on the allocation of important positions and resources is the Emir. Some quotes and links:

"Power in Qatar is distributed in a top-down manner, that is, by the Emir who allocates key government, civil service and private company positions to members of his family and to tribal figures...In Qatar, there is no real separation between the state and the private interests of the ruling family..."Power remains uninstitutionalized. There is no meaningful distinction, either political or legal, between the person of the Emir and the institutions of the state"...the state is not autonomous from private interests. It is difficult to establish the extent of this due to the lack of public information." (p. 40-41 https://www.google.ie/books/edition...itions+to+good+governance&printsec=frontcover)​
"the lack of clear boundaries between personal sovereign wealth and public sovereign wealth in the Gulf muddies the neat picture of Gulf SWFs as simple portfolio investment vehicles. The lines between the wealth of the ruling families and the wealth of the nation have long been murky in the GCC states...A further complication is the tendency of some member of Gulf royal families to co-invest personal ‘private funds’ alongside the sovereign wealth fund that they personally oversee. This trend has been most visible in Qatar, where the Emir of Qatar invested in Barclays at the same time as the Qatar investment Authority (QIA)."​
"The presence of ruling family members in the private sector makes the distinction between the public and private sectors in Qatar problematic. Since they support each other through public funds and public policies geared towards the best interests of these family members and local merchants, the distinction between public and private funds was also meaningless."​
"In Abu Dhabi and Qatar...ruling family members are in control of powerful companies that dominate the economy – either personally or through sovereign wealth funds...Merchant elites are now subservient to the ruling families and are obliged to adapt to the latter’s business priorities...Business interests in Qatar and the UAE are to a large extent protected by the close interconnection of often indistinguishable economic and political elites..."​
"despite the existence of government institutions that “formally” appear to separate the rulers’ funds from those of the state, in practice, the lack of transparent budgets and financial reports, render these distinctions artificial. Even the appointment of the director of the Qatari Chamber of Commerce is determined by the ruler who invariably appoints an al-Thani family member. Since the business community is not able to elect its own leader to voice concerns to policy makers, the Chamber of Commerce, in effect, acts more “as [a] government agency than an independent social association”​
There are some nice articles; I have several issues with making any conclusion that SJ's bid is formed within the frame of any of those quotes.

1) the definition of Al Thani family is vague, and so is royal family. If anything, HBJ was removed from positions by the current Emir, and SJ has a legacy benefits e.g. QIB Chair. Given the size of the Al Thani house, it's not a stretch to seek clarification since the implication in the quotes is that distance from the Emir is important, of which the HBJ branch seems out of favour/distant.

2) at no point did any of the academics say that "distinction between public and private spheres in the Qatari economy is extremely blurred to the point of being meaningless", they said it's problematic. Nor should that imply it's all businesses and all purchases of business, but it's framed within 1) which isn't clear.

3) this notion that the Emir has ultimate power and is top down, from my academic reading, is, in part, false. Who decides who is Emir, who decides when to remove the Emir? It is my understanding the Emir is voted in by the Al Thani house. Please note, I say the Al Thani house rather than Al Thani family. The Emir is voted out by the Al Thani house. That begs the question how does the Emir have top down power? Given that Qatar has a history of non-violent coups, eg voted Emirs out. It implies that real power is created by keeping a big enough proportion of the Al Thani house happy. In other words, what positions does HBJ hold/have since the new Emir gained power?

4) We're uncertain whether the HBJ branch of the Al Thani house is within the Emirs thinking, or whether that branch is framed with Al Thani family/royal family. So that begs a question; why would SJ want United? I have to question whether this is about power within the Al Thani house, it cannot be HBJ who is fronting the puchase because he seems out of favour/lost face. If that branch doesn't try to increase power would they move further from the centre of power within Qatar/ therefore making it more difficult for them in Qatar? And Why are they buying/investing outside of Qatar? Is it lack of recognition/power inside of Qatar?

I don't have the ultimate answer, i'm not making the leap that SJ's bid is a Qatar bid for those reasons and nor does the literature imply it is a Qatar backed bid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sultan

gajender

That Faisal is quite a character and certainly gives you more cause for optimism than Keegan
Hang Tight mate end is nigh for Glazers at United either way couldn't care less who ends up owning United , but I would certainly put more credence to what Reuters are saying at the moment than sports press in UK their stories in theory should have higher standard of sources verification if they are publishing it as exclusive .

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Like I said fans wanting to show disunity or try and one up the last fans statement because there is a genuine 66/34 split Qatar/SJR whatever suites their agenda for the record my agenda is consistent I Don’t care who wins as long all of the Glazers leave this Summer !

Can’t you see the real Issue here, we are looking at Everton’s GK, A Leeds Relegated CB, an English midfielder that isn’t fancied, A free Agent who plays CM and is a well known knob end and a 20 year old kid with half a season that we will end up paying £65m to improve ETH squad next season.

No I don’t blame SJ or SJR for this embarrassing set of transfer targets to improve a team that just got 75 points and finished 3rd. The Glazers parting gift will be to alienate even more fans with their behaviour of not even being able to relinquish control with dignity, they will leave us in 6th place when the Top 5 next season Qualify For CL simply be dragging the process on 2 months more than it needed to be?
Chill man, was only taking the p*ss about Rio. I hope you get the sale you want and get the Glazer c*unts gone.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder

The real issue isn't slave labour! The real issue isn't the thousands of dead bodies that will fund our new transfers. A dodgy paper source has linked us with Pickford FFS, why can't these people see!

Lyng

The real issue isn't the thousands of dead bodies that will fund our new transfers.
This will be the case regardless who buys us? Ineos and their toxic waste and their JP morgan and Saudi arabia connections arent any less bloody than Qatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.