College Football Season Begins...

FLASHWOK

Flash...ahhhaaa..etc etc
Coldplay is good? You are saying bullshits...U fuc
MrMarcello said:
Why should I be scared? What Texas does on the field I have no control of. And I don't play for them either.

I know you are not on the field marcello, but you don't get nervous at all during games? Not Dallas games, not United games, not UT games?

Get a grip. You're the one that has to come out with an analysis of each game for Texas. It's as if you're obsessed with Texas. Like Liverpool fans with United.
I'm hardly obsessed with them...I'm simply critiquing a probable future opponent. Many horns (not necessarily you) have been taking major piss out of some SC forums recently, so it is a natural reaction, especially in light of their performance today and at oklahoma state.

and I have not analyzed every game...just the Ohio State game, Oklahoma game, Okla State game and Texas A&M game. :angel:

Jens

flash, it was a rivalry game ... all bets are off

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Jens said:
I wasn't going to bring this up as Flash would come up with same lame reason for Texas not having a chance against USC or to further hype USC. But these types of games things can happen (as USC may just see against UCLA). Players play with more emotion during rivalry games. Especially in front of a home crowd. A&M has played crap all year, but back in August, there were many pundits expecting A&M to challenge for the Big XII South. They have some very good talent, but have suffered a terrible batch of injuries this season. And have played some crap games on both sides of the ball. The classic underachiever.

A&M set the tone with about :25 remaining in the 1st quarter with that INT (that was a clear PI that was somehow missed by the ref). Then the HB TD just before the end of the 1st quarter, a pass which I saw coming the minute the QB took the snap. Also, the option is something I don't recall Texas having faced this year, and if the QB does good, it can be run to perfection. A&M ran the option to perfection, like how OU or UN did back in the 80s. That QB is going to be a special player for A&M.

But take away that INT (or call the PI), and Texas keeps the ball, and most likely drives for another score, as at that point, it didn't look like A&M was going to stop the Texas offense. Suddenly, instead of 14-9, it's 21-3 and the rout is on. But a few bad plays on both sides of the ball, and suddenly the arch rival has confidence and the 75,000+ home fans do factor into the psyche of both teams when the home team has the momentum. Texas looked like a team that was tired or had too much time off to think of how close they were to the national championship game. They probably felt as if they'd dominate A&M as they'd done in recent games. They were probably looking towards the Big XII title game. It almost seemed to me as if they were so arrogant today, that they knew they'd win no matter how sloppy they played (and in the end, did just that). Suddenly, they realized that A&M came to play and that the mistakes were keeping a much weaker opponent in the game. That score before halftime was a key factor.

A&M fed off the crowd today like they did in 1999 after the bonfire incident. Texas was a the better team that day on paper and on the field, but they allowed A&M to stay in the game and committed turnovers and penalties, ultimately losing the game on an Applewhite fumble. The difference in 1999 versus today is that A&M was a damn good team that year, in the top 10, but this year they've struggled with many issues. Today, you saw the A&M that had the talent and ability to win 8-10 games.

FLASHWOK

Flash...ahhhaaa..etc etc
Jens said:
nonsense.

sometimes rivalry games are massacres...see Oklahoma vs. Texas this year. OU-Texas a couple years back...USC-UCLA for the 3 years prior to last year, USC ND for the 3 years prior to this year.

yes there is a high emotional level, but that still cannot disguise a team's deficiencies...

for example, Miami-FSU this year in the 1st game, the fact that it was close and highly competitive, couldn't mask the fact that Miami had problems protecting Wright and in its passing game which have been the case all year.

rivalry games, because of their competitive nature have the ability to focus attention on a teams flaws when confronted with them directly.

putting all it's focus on Texas, A&M was able to exploit those weaknesses, even with a far less talented and less deep team.

UCLA exposed a flaw of USC's last year, which was to drain the clock, running the ball and keeping posession with a short high percentage passing game (as ND then did this year) keeping the USC defense on the field for long spells
and then USC opponents defend against the pass, frustrating USC by making them nickel and dime with runs and short passes, thus keeping the clock going and limiting the number of posessions.

FLASHWOK

Flash...ahhhaaa..etc etc
MrMarcello said:
Today, you saw the A&M that had the talent and ability to win 8-10 games.

maybe in the Big12, but that is not a national 8-10 win team under any circumstances

that was not a good team at all. the QB is a good runner. The O Line played well and the D Line played very well.

I was not impressed by a single other player on the A&M team, except for the safety who played with a broken rib.

the only two top players they had (McNeal and that fast RB) were gone, TBH if that running back hadn't been injured, Texas may have been in serious trouble since that #11 wasn't fast at all and could never seem to turn the corner.

MrMarcello

Of course not Flash. You are the most biased poster towards USC or any team not known as USC. You didn't rate Notre Dame either. Suddenly after an emotional game in which ND held their own, you gave them some credit, but not much. I have a feeling that say UCLA or Texas beat USC, you'd still say that team isn't better. I don't ever expect you to give an opponent that rises to the emotion of a big game any credit.

MrMarcello

I also doubt Oregon would be a 10 win team outside the PAC-10. But I'm sure you'll come up with some detailed analysis to say otherwise. And take some ridiculous shot at the Big XII. :boring:

Jens

ill just leave it to you and marcello to continue to discuss this game, but for me this means nothing. yeah, texas struggled, but still you shouldnt read too much into it.

youre setting yourself up for a big, big fall, flash.

Jens

enjoy the big 12 ccg against iowa state, marcello. god, this is pathetic ... down by 17 to fecking to nebraska at the half.

MrMarcello

Jens said:
enjoy the big 12 ccg against iowa state, marcello. god, this is pathetic ... down by 17 to fecking to nebraska at the half.
Yet another 'rivalry' game. CU thinking they'll roll over UN, and have an eye on the Big XII title game already. Then BAM...getting their ass whooped. I remember when CU used to claim UN as their rival, but UN didn't see CU as anything but a W. My how the rolls have been reversed.

MrMarcello

Jens said:
ill just leave it to you and marcello to continue to discuss this game, but for me this means nothing. yeah, texas struggled, but still you shouldnt read too much into it.

youre setting yourself up for a big, big fall, flash.
This is similar to 2002. Miami was the defending champions and everyone expecting them to roll Ohio State. Ohio State struggled in the last 3 games escaping against lesser sides (well, Michigan was a good team), and everyone saying how lucky they were to go undefeated. But Ohio State believed in themselves and stayed with Miami all game, eventually winning.

Ohio State didn't play a top class schedule that year. They avoided a top 10 ranked Iowa, that also was undefeated in Big Ten play. Ohio State escaped with the following close wins:

@ Cincinnati, 23-19
@ Northwestern, 27-16
@ Wisconsin, 19-14
@ Penn State, 13-7
@ Purdue, 10-6 (the long 'tossup' late that somehow was caught)
@ Illinois, 23-16
vs Michigan, 14-9

Ohio State only dominated a few opponents. But they had a great team and won all the games scheduled, which is what matters most. Against Miami, they proved themselves. And that offense was no where near as talented as Texas' offense this year. Ohio State had a great defense in 2002, and Texas has a great defense this year. They were due a bad performance on defense. But with both Texas and USC having a few weeks off, anything can happen. USC will be the favorite, and rightly so being the #1 ranked team, defending champions, and playing at home. But I don't doubt Texas' ability to play with the champs and in the end, pull off the upset. It will be a great game, no matter how big Flash thinks USC will win by. It's going to be a close game decided in the 4th quarter. I think it might end up one of the all-time great championship games.

FLASHWOK

Flash...ahhhaaa..etc etc
MrMarcello said:
Of course not Flash. You are the most biased poster towards USC or any team not known as USC.

on the contrary, I wasn't biased in 1991-2001 when we sucked...we clearly sucked. Now we are the best team, and that is not bias. it is fact.

You didn't rate Notre Dame either.

that's right I didn't, because they hadn't proven anything untill they played a top team that would measure where they were.

Suddenly after an emotional game in which ND held their own, you gave them some credit, but not much.

I gave them plenty of credit, they played great...near perfection.

I have a feeling that say UCLA or Texas beat USC, you'd still say that team isn't better.

well that would depend...if the game was stolen or lost on bad calls, yes I might say that, but if someone came along and shut us down I'd have no complaints. If Fresno Staet had beaten us, I would have given them all the credit in the world. They were immense against us. I am not like people from the 2 time Big 12 Champions Oklahoma who give the standard "we just didn't show up tonight" quote whenever they get clobbered by a team out of conference foes like USC or LSU.

I don't ever expect you to give an opponent that rises to the emotion of a big game any credit.
:lol:

funny, because untill this year, Texas was the opponent that never rose to the emotion of the big game.

every game for a USC opponent these days is their Super Bowl...we get every teams best shot, whether it is Hawaii or ND or whoever.

I give every one of those teams credit cause it is impossible not to...they come to knockoff the champ, end the streak, destroy the 3 peat, you name it.

USC is fighting off more emotion in teams then you can imagine...take the emotion from A&M today and multiply that by our past two seasons in their entirety, then we can chat about not giving credit to an emotionally stoked opponent.

MrMarcello

FLASHWOK said:
every game for a USC opponent these days is their Super Bowl...we get every teams best shot, whether it is Hawaii or ND or whoever. Just what Mack Brown just said about every opponent facing Texas

I give every one of those teams credit cause it is impossible not to...they come to knockoff the champ, end the streak, destroy the 3 peat, you name it.

USC is fighting off more emotion in teams then you can imagine...take the emotion from A&M today and multiply that by our past two seasons in their entirety, then we can chat about not giving credit to an emotionally stoked opponent.
I see your point, but to say that A&M's emotion to knock off their 100 year rival is less than the emotion a team brings against USC is total horseshit.

FLASHWOK

Flash...ahhhaaa..etc etc
MrMarcello said:
This is similar to 2002. Miami was the defending champions and everyone expecting them to roll Ohio State. Ohio State struggled in the last 3 games escaping against lesser sides (well, Michigan was a good team), and everyone saying how lucky they were to go undefeated. But Ohio State believed in themselves and stayed with Miami all game, eventually winning.

Ohio State didn't play a top class schedule that year. They avoided a top 10 ranked Iowa, that also was undefeated in Big Ten play. Ohio State escaped with the following close wins:

@ Cincinnati, 23-19
@ Northwestern, 27-16
@ Wisconsin, 19-14
@ Penn State, 13-7
@ Purdue, 10-6 (the long 'tossup' late that somehow was caught)
@ Illinois, 23-16
vs Michigan, 14-9

Ohio State only dominated a few opponents. But they had a great team and won all the games scheduled, which is what matters most. Against Miami, they proved themselves. And that offense was no where near as talented as Texas' offense this year. Ohio State had a great defense in 2002, and Texas has a great defense this year.

I'm sorry macello...your defense is not that good...based on you played, it is fine, but you have not proven anything against a top offense as I've said time and again.

They were due a bad performance on defense. But with both Texas and USC having a few weeks off, anything can happen. USC will be the favorite, and rightly so being the #1 ranked team, defending champions, and playing at home. But I don't doubt Texas' ability to play with the champs and in the end, pull off the upset. It will be a great game, no matter how big Flash thinks USC will win by. It's going to be a close game decided in the 4th quarter. I think it might end up one of the all-time great championship games.

I have already discussed the Miami 2002 Ohio State business awhile ago, and will refer you to my post about that, somewhere back in this thread.

That was a great Miami team, who ran roughshod over a weak big east, and whose deficiencies were covered by a weaker schedule.

McGahee carried that team socring 28 rushing touchdowns that year, buoyed by a great defense.

that offense wasn't particularly prolific, especially considering it played in the Big Least...once it faced a top defense, it was held two td's under it's average, most notably because McGahee was lost to injury during that game.

how well would Ohio State done in that game had Clarett been taken off?

this USC team is still the best to come down the pipe in a long time. Possibly ever.

MrMarcello

USC ran roughshed over a terrible PAC-10. Oregon is a the only decent team. UCLA is playing way above their level, beat the likes of Rice, San Diego State, and crap OU (as you put it), yet were clobbered by 3-7 Arizona. Oregon rolled Houston and Montana, but did get a good win over Fresno State. Fresno State is no where near as good as USC, yet they put up an inspired performance.

In 2002, Miami were being claimed as one of the greatest teams ever. A dynasty in the making. You think that opposition played decides everything. That's non-sense. Or USC playing in the PAC-10 would never win a national title game. All the games played during the regular season go out the window in a bowl game. Underdogs win. Favorites blow up. Sometimes the favorite wins the game close, sometimes they win in a rout. But in a bowl game, it's decided on the field, not by who team A played in November or who team B barely beat in October. USC's edge will be that they have been in that game before. And playing in front of their home crowd. But two years ago, USC hadn't been there before, got to play the #4 ranked team instead of the #2 ranked team, and won a share of the title.

Nebraska of 93-95 is still the best I've seen. And that's for a club that didn't pass, yet they crushed a pass happy team in 1995 title game (Florida). Supposedly UN's defense wasn't going to be able to keep up with Florida's passing game. It was over by halftime.

USC wins the title this year, I'll say their the best I've seen in my time. Until that happens, 2x champion Nebraska (a FG miss from being a 3x champion) is the best I've seen.

FLASHWOK

Flash...ahhhaaa..etc etc
MrMarcello said:
I see your point, but to say that A&M's emotion to knock off their 100 year rival is less than the emotion a team brings against USC is total horseshit.
never said it was less, but it is one game, it hasn't been that important in awhile because Texas hasn't been this important in awhile in terms of vying for a title, USC faces the same emotion everygame for the past two years.

but any opponent can expose flaws in a team, and A&M, Ohio State and Oklahoma State have exposed yours, and they are not such good teams, despite however much emotion they played with.

I'll say it again, your defense has not faced a top offense yet.

I have watched your defense (and offense) about 7 times this year, and based on the caliber of your opposition have not been that impressed.

that is not to say there aren't some good players there, because there certainly are. Huff, Okam, Killebrew, Dibbles, Wright Crowder are good players who I'll probably be seeing on Sundays pretty soon, but just HOW GOOD are they? You don't know yet, cause you haven't seen them play an offense at the top of the heap. that will be your test.

it doesn't change the fact that your offense has some great athletes, but they have many weaknesses as well. Young is a sloppy and inconsistent passer, and that is a fact. He was lucky that he didn't have 3 picked off today. not to mention your offense has a serious problem with mental mistakes and fumbles.

your offensive line while very tough running the ball, is not as skilled at pass defense, no matter how good Studdard Scott and Blalock and Allen are.

and it doesn't change the fact that while your tight end is good, your receivers are small and ineffective against bigger stronger corners (except sweed) and their big plays seem to come mainly on busted coverages.

Texas is a good team as I have said repeatedly, but they have some major flaws, that can be exploited by a good game plan by great athletes with alot of big game experience who make few mistakes....and guess who that team is?

if we beat UCLA and you beat whoever you are playing in the B12 laugher, we will have one month to prepare for you guys.

I am perfectly content with that prospect.

Jens

FLASHWOK said:
this USC team is still the best to come down the pipe in a long time. Possibly ever.
now youre just totally losing it.

this is the way i see it: usc and texas are very good teams, the best in the nation and itd be one hell of a game, but i dont see a clear favorite like flashie does. the biggest advantage i see for usc is that carroll gets 4 weeks to prepare for the game and thats why ill make usc a slight favorite, but when you see the way flashie talks you´d think usc is a clear 14 point favorite.

FLASHWOK

Flash...ahhhaaa..etc etc
MrMarcello said:
USC ran roughshed over a terrible PAC-10. Oregon is a the only decent team. UCLA is playing way above their level, beat the likes of Rice, San Diego State, and crap OU (as you put it), yet were clobbered by 3-7 Arizona. Oregon rolled Houston and Montana, but did get a good win over Fresno State. Fresno State is no where near as good as USC, yet they put up an inspired performance.

Frsno Stae is an excellent team, and they were inspired as well.

In 2002, Miami were being claimed as one of the greatest teams ever. A dynasty in the making.
You think that opposition played decides everything. That's non-sense.

no, I don't but it gives you a good indication of the quality of your squad.

Or USC playing in the PAC-10 would never win a national title game. All the games played during the regular season go out the window in a bowl game. Underdogs win. Favorites blow up. Sometimes the favorite wins the game close, sometimes they win in a rout. But in a bowl game, it's decided on the field, not by who team A played in November or who team B barely beat in October. USC's edge will be that they have been in that game before. And playing in front of their home crowd. But two years ago, USC hadn't been there before, got to play the #4 ranked team instead of the #2 ranked team, and won a share of the title.

well we were the #1 in every poll except for the BCS...I would have gladly played the #2 at the time and don't think we would have had much of a problem with LSU, who had no offense.

Nebraska of 93-95 is still the best I've seen. And that's for a club that didn't pass, yet they crushed a pass happy team in 1995 title game (Florida). Supposedly UN's defense wasn't going to be able to keep up with Florida's passing game. It was over by halftime.

that Florida team had nothing to fall back on if passing didn't work. Nebraska 93-95 was a great team, but still was solely a running squad, no matter how good at that they were. I don't consider one dimensional teams to be that great. I would put a couple of other teams above those Nebraska teams. Most Notably USC teams and Miami Teams.

USC wins the title this year, I'll say their the best I've seen in my time. Until that happens, 2x champion Nebraska (a FG miss from being a 3x champion) is the best I've seen.

:boring:

Big 12 football.

:)

MrMarcello

And USC has no flaws that can't be exploited?

I suppose you've missed the fact that opposing offense have put up some great passing and running yards, and points on USC. Texas offense has the ability to pass and run. They've averaged over 500 yards per game, against some good defense and some bad ones. What top defense has USC faced? Texas did face a top defense in Ohio State. Heck, Kansas had the top ranked run defense before Texas put 330+ on them. And for a supposed lack of passing, Texas averages over 220 per game (which dropped from about 235/game after today's below par performance). And USC has shown everyone they can be passed on.

Also, USC's kick coverages leave nothing to be desired. Texas ST looked pretty damn impressive today, save the kicker missing a chipshot. I never thought Texas was tops in the nation since 2000 in blocked kicks. You always hear about VaTech, but Texas has 41 since 2000. VaTech has 30. In fact, NC State is second over that period with 39. USC better be on top of the ST game when punting. Both Ross and Cosby have the ability to make plays on returns as well. Texas will definitely plan on Bush returning kicks. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see them kick away, try high pooch kicks, or attempt squib kicks in order to keep Bush from the ball or the allow the coverage unti time to close in. Texas ST is arguably the best in the country. Of course, "they've played no one." :rolleyes:

FLASHWOK

Flash...ahhhaaa..etc etc
Jens said:
now youre just totally losing it.

why? USC has a very legitimate claim at the moment and if we win out this year as being the best team to come down the pipe.

this is the way i see it: usc and texas are very good teams, the best in the nation and itd be one hell of a game, but i dont see a clear favorite like flashie does. the biggest advantage i see for usc is that carroll gets 4 weeks to prepare for the game and thats why ill make usc a slight favorite, but when you see the way flashie talks you´d think usc is a clear 14 point favorite.

well, I think it is true...USC is a clear favorite in the game if we play.

I'm sure the line will be 5-8 points or so, meaning that other people feel that way too, not just me.

that doesn't mean USC will mean, in fact they could very well lose and everything will be ruined.

but I would be more sure of a USC win then a Texas win, and based on the line "the smart money" is predicting that.

yes Texas could win, but we could also see a similar thing happen to Texas that happened to Oklahoma last year.

if USC can jump on them early, forcing Texas to pass more UT would be in serious trouble.

Yes USC and Texas match up pretty well and it might be a great game, but UT cannot afford to play the way they have played this year, which is on the edge in terms of sloppiness and turnovers...a top team will make them pay for that, and that is not being biased, that is being logical.

I've stated that USC has led the NCAA in turnover margin all throughout the Pete Carroll era, and that is our biggest strength, having an offense that is brutally eficent at converting those TO's into points. Texas does turn the ball over way too much and that is a major point. It is as valid a point to make as saying "USC must contain Vince Young's scrambling for positive yards and turning busted plays into big gains".

MrMarcello

FLASHWOK said:
that Florida team had nothing to fall back on if passing didn't work. Nebraska 93-95 was a great team, but still was solely a running squad, no matter how good at that they were. I don't consider one dimensional teams to be that great. I would put a couple of other teams above those Nebraska teams. Most Notably USC teams and Miami Teams.
No bias there. Of course not. :rolleyes: Strange that you don't rate UN that highly yet they won national titles without a passing game, with lesser talented players than Miami and Florida, and without top class recruiting. Also, the Big 8 wasn't that good, outside Colorado (OU was an average team in the last days of the Big 8). Yet somehow, despite not having a passing game which you translate to being a top team, and despite the lack of top notch opposition, UN won two national title games. Heck, they could have won 5 straight had the FG been converted in 93, and they beat Texas in 96 (UN win puts them in the national title game vs FSU, and UF is left out in the cold).

Jens

@ flashie

my "losing it" comment was aimed at best ever as usc has flirted with a L 3 times (fresno, arizona state and nd) this season. they´re the #1 and will be until someone knocks them off. to be the champ, you gotta beat the champ, but overall i think youre not giving texas enough respect by over-analyzing every weakness they have. the way you talk sets you up for a big fall and one could think you expect another usc/oklahoma blowout. usc is gonna lose one soon as they appear to be in the comfort zone. right now, id give usc a slight edge, 3 points or so, but i wouldnt be shellshocked if the horns upset the trojans. biggest advantage usc has is pete carroll over mack brown.

MrMarcello

I think the biggest advantage is the fortune of this year's national title game being played in the Rose Bowl. USC won't have to travel. I'm not sure how the ticket division works, but I wouldn't like to know that more than 50% of the fans in attendance are USC supporters/alumni/fans. That will be a difficult disadvantage to Texas. They'll not only have to stop a great opponent, but they'll have to ignore the crowd. Hopefully, it will be a split crowd, or at least not too USC slanted.

FLASHWOK

Flash...ahhhaaa..etc etc
MrMarcello said:
And USC has no flaws that can't be exploited?

I've already said they did in three posts in the last two pages of this thread. do you actually read what is written or do you jsut respond in consternation? I have discussed our OC's problems, our D Line, our injuries to the linebacking corps, our problems on special teams...you name it.

I suppose you've missed the fact that opposing offense have put up some great passing and running yards, and points on USC.

I've always said that is the case....we play in a passing conference...our run defense is quite good sideline to sideline, but can be exploited a bit head on. we are #24 against the run, which isn't too bad considering we have faced #9 #10 and #16 running offenses, including Marshawn Lynch and WSU Harrison.

pass wise, we have played Hawaii (#2), Oregon(#6), ASU(#3),ND(#4), WSU (#21) Fresno (#40) and will play UCLA(#12) not to mention several other teams who are all in the upper echelon of the passing rankings. Texas is #46 in passing offense. that is 4 of the top 6 passing teams in the nation we have played...(we are 5th out of the 6) and will be 6 of the top 20 after UCLA.

all those teams are all better passing teams then Texas...what ,makes you think you can pass like they can with their complexity? That would be as silly as saying Oregon can run as well as Texas.

Texas offense has the ability to pass and run.

against the big 12.

They've averaged over 500 yards per game, against some good defense and some bad ones. What top defense has USC faced?

probably the same ammount of top defenses texas has played...except the difference is, that the PAC10 is an offensive conference, whhile the Big 12 is not. the fact that defenses hold bad offenses isn't something to be proud of and I'd rather have my defense facing high tech offenses and giving up yards, then facing one dimensional, avcerage offenses and giving up yards. Texas isn't going to show us much on ofense we haven't seen, save for Vince's scrambling ability. in terms of passing, we have seen many better passers than Vince.

Texas did face a top defense in Ohio State.

and they couldn't pass too well against them either.

Heck, Kansas had the top ranked run defense before Texas put 330+ on them.

shall we discuss who Kansas played to get that ranking?

And for a supposed lack of passing, Texas averages over 220 per game (which dropped from about 235/game after today's below par performance). And USC has shown everyone they can be passed on.

yes, top passing teams can pass on us, not teams that pass in the Big12.

Also, USC's kick coverages leave nothing to be desired.

I never said otherwise.

Texas ST looked pretty damn impressive today, save the kicker missing a chipshot. I never thought Texas was tops in the nation since 2000 in blocked kicks. You always hear about VaTech, but Texas has 41 since 2000. VaTech has 30. In fact, NC State is second over that period with 39.

you must have been salivating when they flashed that unknown tidbit on the screen :lol:

USC better be on top of the ST game when punting.

we don't punt much...besides, when they do, malone is a good punter, and if there are problems, I'm sure he'll be ordered to punt it out of bounds.

Both Ross and Cosby have the ability to make plays on returns as well. Texas will definitely plan on Bush returning kicks. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see them kick away, try high pooch kicks, or attempt squib kicks in order to keep Bush from the ball or the allow the coverage unti time to close in.

so what? virtually everyone does that to Reggie and have done so for the better part of two years now. We don't really rely on our return teams to win our games...if reggie happens to pop one, it is a nice bonus.

Texas ST is arguably the best in the country. Of course, "they've played no one." :rolleyes:
well, I'm sure they are good but doesn't change the fact you have played no one of consequence... and we haven't had a punt blocked in quite awhile anyway...not to mentino we don't use that stupid swinging gate to let people like Studdard smash into them and such.

oh and mack brown is still your coach

his lobbying at halftime of CU-NEB for Vince Young was utterly shameless.

VY is a good enough athlete to merit consideration without political mack baying like an idiot.

FLASHWOK

Flash...ahhhaaa..etc etc
MrMarcello said:
I think the biggest advantage is the fortune of this year's national title game being played in the Rose Bowl. USC won't have to travel. I'm not sure how the ticket division works, but I wouldn't like to know that more than 50% of the fans in attendance are USC supporters/alumni/fans. That will be a difficult disadvantage to Texas. They'll not only have to stop a great opponent, but they'll have to ignore the crowd. Hopefully, it will be a split crowd, or at least not too USC slanted.

doubt it will be split.

Michigan has some of the best travelling support around and in 2003 USC had probably 2/3 of the Rose Bowl packed with its fans.

FLASHWOK

Flash...ahhhaaa..etc etc
MrMarcello said:
No bias there. Of course not. :rolleyes: Strange that you don't rate UN that highly yet they won national titles without a passing game, with lesser talented players than Miami and Florida, and without top class recruiting.

I said they were a great team and I never said I didn't rate them highly...christ, read the post. I just didn't rate them AS HIGHLY as a couple of other teams.

Also, the Big 8 wasn't that good, outside Colorado (OU was an average team in the last days of the Big 8). Yet somehow, despite not having a passing game which you translate to being a top team, and despite the lack of top notch opposition, UN won two national title games. Heck, they could have won 5 straight had the FG been converted in 93, and they beat Texas in 96 (UN win puts them in the national title game vs FSU, and UF is left out in the cold).
um yes...and we could be shooting for 4 straight national championships if we hadn't missed an xp at Wazzu and scored the last TD at K-State in 2002 and then we could have beaten Miami or OSU in the fiesta bowl :rolleyes:

MrMarcello

FLASHWOK said:
um yes...and we could be shooting for 4 straight national championships if we hadn't missed an xp at Wazzu and scored the last TD at K-State in 2002 and then we could have beaten Miami or OSU in the fiesta bowl :rolleyes:
Which would still be less than 5. It never stops with you. You're like the little kid down the street who's fav team finally wins and then you go from being a nice little friend who we all let join in our neighborhood games to being a total pest and annoying everyone with your expert analysis, biased views, and know-it-all, elitist attitude. Get off it.

Texas-USC will be settled in the Trojan's backyard (which, I somehow have this impression if the national title game was in Texas' backyard [like New Orleans], and Texas won, you'd cite that as the reason) should USC defeat UCLA and Texas wins the Big XII title game. No matter who played who from September through early December, or who played vertical offenses, or who those passing stats came against. Good lawd, it sounds like you just want to make a case for argument's sake.

FLASHWOK

Flash...ahhhaaa..etc etc
Jens said:
@ flashie

my "losing it" comment was aimed at best ever as usc has flirted with a L 3 times (fresno, arizona state and nd) this season.

we flirted with 5 of them last year...and we had no receivers or pass catching TE's either most of last year except for a homesick freshman. our team has loads of experience and character, which is something that you simply cannot put a price on.

they´re the #1 and will be until someone knocks them off. to be the champ, you gotta beat the champ, but overall i think youre not giving texas enough respect by over-analyzing every weakness they have.

I give them respect for being a good team, I am simply stating some major weaknesses, that they do in fact, have...as I have stated USC's weakness in this very same thread. I berated our performance just 1-2 pages ago...I am an equal opportunity critic, I simply find Texas' flaws to be more glaring than ours which we undoubtedly have and had lsat year as well. No one is unbeatable.

the way you talk sets you up for a big fall and one could think you expect another usc/oklahoma blowout.

nonsense. I stand behind my talk completely, and if texas beats us or we don't make it and lose to UCLA I will be back in this thread regardless to congratulate marcello if that should be the case. I expect USC to win, yes, I don't know anyone who wouldn't expect their team to, and not to mention the team that USC is, be they a USC fan or a neutral fan. most logical neutral fans would give the edge to USC based on experience an attitude as well as composure, not necessarily because of any light years difference.

That said, yes, I do certainly believe that Texas could win, but they will have to put up a pile of points to do it. I believe if Texas wins it will be close, they will not blow out USC, but I do believe that there is a a chance of a victory in the case of USC, where the game gets away from Texas as it did for Oklahoma. If Texas falls behind USC early, and those mistakes occur, everyone knows that VY will try to make things happen as their leader...with his legs, he can do those things, but if it is with is arm, that is where I think things could get bad.

Did anyone expect last years game to be over at the half? I don't think so. I thought there was a chance it would, but in my wildest dreams I couldn't have hoped for it.

yet it happened. for all its great athletes, Texas rises and falls with VY. Everyone has said it, even Mack Brown. The VY I saw today never gave up, but looked very somber and dejected the whole game...and he was winning.

Oklahoma literally gave up by the end of the 1st half last year, probably because they had never been in a position like that, and never had they played "Sooner football" and found themselves down that badly...so they had no Plan B and just got buried.

If a similar thing happens to VY, with early pics and turnovers, they won't be able to come back on SC the way they did on Oklahoma State.

After all, if you were down 28-10 to USC at the half,(hypothically) compared to 28-10 to Okie State how would you honestly feel?

usc is gonna lose one soon as they appear to be in the comfort zone. right now, id give usc a slight edge, 3 points or so, but i wouldnt be shellshocked if the horns upset the trojans. biggest advantage usc has is pete carroll over mack brown.
true, we will lose but soon may not be the case...neither you or I know.

FLASHWOK

Flash...ahhhaaa..etc etc
MrMarcello said:
Which would still be less than 5. It never stops with you. You're like the little kid down the street who's fav team finally wins and then you go from being a nice little friend who we all let join in our neighborhood games to being a total pest and annoying everyone with your expert analysis, biased views, and know-it-all, elitist attitude. Get off it.

:lol: well marcello, this is my thread, so I would say you are in my neighborhood and I have let you join in the games... :lol: and a Texas fan complaining about pests, annoyance and expert analysis and biased views and know itall elitist attitudes is about the funniest thing I've heard. :lol:

Marcello, you were the one who started your absurd Nebraska comparison. Everyone knows it was a great team, but then you said, if they had done this and done that then this would have happened and they win 4 straight. So give me a fecking break...or was it just that I said USC wins 4 straight in the hypothetical?...ok how about this, the miami 2002 team, McGahee doesn't break his knee, they beat Ohio State, then Winslow, Mcgahee and Johnson all return for their senior years so that Miami team should have won 3 straight. If you are going to make an idiotic claim like the nebraska one, you shouldn't crticize another ridiculous story told to point out that "woulda coulda" doesn't mean shit in a discussion

Texas-USC will be settled in the Trojan's backyard (which, I somehow have this impression if the national title game was in Texas' backyard [like New Orleans], and Texas won, you'd cite that as the reason)

how would you know? The game isn't there. That's a bit biased from an objective longhorn...considering we have won two BCS games in Miami, I am confident we can play anywhere. going from LA to Miami is further than going from Austin to LA.

should USC defeat UCLA and Texas win's the Big XII title game. No matter who played who from September through early December, or who played vertical offenses, or who those passing stats came against. Good lawd, it sounds like you just want to make a case for argument's sake.

you get so wound up about this marcello...I'm just playing with you.

Jens

holy fecking shite, iowa state misses a chip shot in overtime v kansas and cu win the big 12 north. god, this is going to be ugly next week.

FLASHWOK

Flash...ahhhaaa..etc etc
Reggie Bush, senior year in high school video highlights...

ridiculous.

hope the link works.

http://tinyurl.com/cflfm

also, Reggie Bush college highlights video...awesome.

(unfortunately, they left out two of his greates punt returns for TD and a few more of his TDs :wenger: )

http://d6.yousendit.com/C/0E5M7QEIC6ZIX3TDWIZS07NFDM/bigreggiestyle.wmv

USC has a HUGE recruiting weekend coming up as well.

official visits this weekend.

Pos Nat'l Rank Name School, Hometown HT/ WT/ 40

OL 1 Andre Smith
(Huffman High School-Magnet)
Birmingham, AL 6-4/315/5.20

QB 3 Tim Tebow
(Nease HS)
St Augustine, FL 6-3/225/4.60

LB 3 Allen Bradford
(Colton HS)
Colton, CA 6-0/222/4.55

LB 4 Josh Tatum
(McClymonds Senior HS)
Oakland, CA 6-2/220/4.50

RB 5 Michael Goodson
(Klein Collins HS)
Klein, TX 5-11.5/190/4.53

S 5 Jonas Mouton
(Venice Senior HS)
Los Angeles, CA 6-2/208/4.60

DT 8 Derrick Hill
(McClymonds Senior HS)
Oakland, CA 6-3.5/280/5.20

RB 9 DeMarco Murray
(Bishop Gorman HS)
Las Vegas, NV 6-1/185/4.50

WR 8 David Ausberry
(Lemoore HS)
Lemoore, CA 6-4/215/4.65

OL 12 Butch Lewis
(Regis Jesuit HS)
Aurora, CO 6-5/280/5.20

LB 19 Marcus Sims
(North Florida Christian)
Tallahassee, FL 6-2/220/4.52

Raoul

Admin
Staff
They are definitely about as bad as I've seen them in recent memory (even though they beat UM).

I hope Miami get a new HC or OC this offseason. Coker just doesn't do it for me and a good many of Canes fans.