Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

villain

Hates Beyoncé
On first listen - his production really is back to Graduation/MBDTF eras for me.
Songs haven't really caught my eye, but i'll listen over the weekend for confirmation.

So far, based on Pusha & Kanye's albums, I can't wait for Nas' because the production should be elite :drool:

binary bot
Most songs are decent then you get to the end and it just feels meh. Very forgettable.

Aint gota Kalou

Production is great as expected. Really like the whole album, very introspective. Just wish it was longer. I do much prefer a 7 track album with all songs at a good quality than something bloated with 20 tracks though.

Black Thought and 9th Wonder have an EP out today too.

Member 5225

Yikes is amaze.

Is that the same as Exstacy track everyone on Twitter is raving about?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Lets be clear, hip hop loved both back to back and stay scheming.
Let's not pretend that tearing Meek a new one is an achievement. Back to Back was a stellar track and a superlative diss track. It was still Meek though.

UnrelatedPsuedo

What's with these short 7 track releases lately? Not really an 'album' is it?
Makes sense in the streaming age. Very clever. Mostly I'll just listen to an album, then flick the good stuff onto a separate playlist.

7 Tracks, make them all good, I'll happily leave that on repeat all day to get familiar with it.

I'm sure there's a financial angle at work when it comes to that too.

UnrelatedPsuedo

It’s all about public perception nowadays - you need some sort of meme, hit single or deep underlying truths to win over the internet.
Thats been the case for a long time.

Budden also tore Game apart years ago. Bringing up the video of Game on a TV dating show (Change of Heart).

Nobody cared that time either as the more popular rapper was on the receiving end. It's a constant truth.

haram

Let's not pretend that tearing Meek a new one is an achievement. Back to Back was a stellar track and a superlative diss track. It was still Meek though.
It doesn’t matter, people didn’t expect the loss to be that heavy either. The idea that Drake hides behind pop when it comes to beef is just wrong which is my point.

UnrelatedPsuedo

It doesn’t matter, people didn’t expect the loss to be that heavy either. The idea that Drake hides behind pop when it comes to beef is just wrong which is my point.
Come on man. He takes out the weakest of the herd. He's never once taken on any genuinely talented MC.

He's the kid in the playground with a 100% record in 3 fights after walking away from 30 others saying 'He aint worth it'.

It's hollow.

He's a disgracefully talented recording artist, I love his music. But he's shown an absolute resoluteness in boxing clever and not lacing up without knowing he can win before he gets in the ring.

haram

Come on man. He takes out the weakest of the herd. He's never once taken on any genuinely talented MC.

He's the kid in the playground with a 100% record in 3 fights after walking away from 30 others saying 'He aint worth it'.

It's hollow.

He's a disgracefully talented recording artist, I love his music. But he's shown an absolute resoluteness in boxing clever and not lacing up without knowing he can win before he gets in the ring.
So Common doesn’t count? Who do you want him to take on that he’s ducking? He cant just create beef out of nothing.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Akademiks said if Drake don’t clap back before the end of the weekend we better start up the hearse for Drizzy and declare Pusha the winner.

72 hours should be the timeframe in which to respond, make us wait any longer, we ain’t interested.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Akademiks said if Drake don’t clap back before the end of the weekend we better start up the hearse for Drizzy and declare Pusha the winner.

72 hours should be the timeframe in which to respond, make us wait any longer, we ain’t interested.
Ehhh, kinda but not really.
1 - who cares what Akademiks thinks
2 - 72 hours is an arbitrary number that means nothing (Nas replied with Ether after 3 months? I think) if Drake actually responds with something that's calculated & unexpected then it will be worth the wait.

That being said, Drake has lost especially after putting up the iphone press release on instagram :lol:
I don't think he can come back from this without bowing out and accepting defeat.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
So Common doesn’t count? Who do you want him to take on that he’s ducking? He cant just create beef out of nothing.
Budden. He only had that one line. Would have been interesting to see him against his ‘idol’.

haram

Budden. He only had that one line. Would have been interesting to see him against his ‘idol’.
No A list rapper would have replied to Joe Budden in 2017. Did Kendrick hide behind pop when subbing Big Sean on Humble?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Some good tracks on this KSG album. Like it more than Ye so far.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The artwork is class. Gonna give it a listen now.

EDIT: Can't see it on Canadian Spotify nooooo

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Enjoying Kids See Ghosts from my first couple of listens. It sounds great but the track names are all messed up.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Kids See Ghosts is top. Ye is great.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Have to say I did not like the Cudi album whatsoever, much like Ye. Pusha so far has the best project out of the 3.

Although completely overshadowed by the cudi release today, Ty/Jeremih released their first single off their collab and it's fire.

The best song released in the last month

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Anyone listen to Nas new album yet?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Anyone listen to Nas new album yet?
I have it as the best of the lot so far

Nasir > KSG > Daytona > whatever kanye did.
But I’m a Nas stan, so definitely biased.
His anti-vaccine stance is very disappointing along with Kendrick’s black Israelite stance.

Think Teyana’s album will be great too.

Kanye’s production so far has been amazing.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima

His anti-vaccine stance is very disappointing along with Kendrick’s black Israelite stance.

I've stopped having high hopes on Nas or anyone else tbh, I mean how can he make an album like Unititled then hang out and associate himself with Kanye after his slavery comments and pro trump stance. Felt let down but end of the day I've accepted there's no morals in show business it's all about the money and popularity. Just enjoy the art of the music and not the person. Glad to hear its good, I'm a big nas fan too.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

What's the origin of stan? Is it to do with psycho Stan from the Eminem song?

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I've stopped having high hopes on Nas or anyone else tbh, I mean how can he make an album like Unititled then hang out and associate himself with Kanye after his slavery comments and pro trump stance. Felt let down but end of the day I've accepted there's no morals in show business it's all about the money and popularity. Just enjoy the art of the music and not the person. Glad to hear its good, I'm a big nas fan too.
It's a job, nothing more, nothing less.
The same way that journalists have to report on issues that they disagree with, or lawyers defend clients who's action's they disagree with - you've got to get on with it.

Ultimately, despite anyone's personal belief's you should be able to live and work peacefully.
Besides Nas' stance is more closely aligned to black liberation at the hands of black people - I think that's what Kanye was trying to get at, however poorly he worded it.

What's the origin of stan? Is it to do with psycho Stan from the Eminem song?
Yep. There are only a few artists I stan.