Community Shield 2020 - Arsenal vs Liverpool - Saturday(29th August)

DarkLord

Won't be surprised if Arsenal wins this. Kopp has already made an excuse by saying this game has come too early and his players are not ready.

Sigma

Anything is better than friendlies, that is true.

But your point to start with doesn't quite ring true, as there weren't bigger and better options available for the World cup and Europe.

This nations cup thing won't ever beat those.
You can find many examples of this, not just in football (I just brought the football ones up because this is a football forum). An example outside is Formula E (Formula 1 is bigger) or the Laver Cup (Other tennis such as the grand slams are bigger), which people weren't really interested in in their infancy, and although they are still in their infancy, more and more people and getting into them and with time that support will only grow.

I see your point, but I believe that with time, competitions grow more and more on people. That's not to say that the Nations League will be as big as the World Cup, but it may be the Europa League to the World Cup's Champions League. This is especially true if you ever get the smaller teams from League C and D up into League A and maybe potentially winning the thing and qualifying for a World Cup or European Championship, the prestige of the Nations League would increase. This scenario will most likely occur with more time.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

Won't be surprised if Arsenal wins this. Kopp has already made an excuse by saying this game has come too early and his players are not ready.
Not the wind or rain this time? Too early for him. Should they have played the game. 6:30 instead? Or sunday game like normal.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Community shield debut goals- Ruud, Smith, Hernandez and Ibra.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/53923849

That Shevchenko goal sure flattered to deceive and had forgotten Hernandez's smashed in the face finish was in this game:lol:
Nice find. That Shevchenko goal was classic Andriy and him at his best. Probably for the last time. Roman was so excited, too bad it didn't work out :lol:

Linesman trying to screw us on Smith's goal, two assists from Tony V and Ferdinand so bad against Malouda I had to look twice to believe it was him :lol:

GenZRed

Nations league should be scrapped. Does anyone really care
I honestly thought the competiton would be scrapped for this season and resumed for 2022-2023 season. I do think the Nations League is quite a good competition though but for the sake of being pragmatic should be called off this time.

Reactions: Sultan

Matriac

What's up with Arsenal though? Am I missing some injuries?

Where is Lacazette, Guendouzi, Sokratis, Pepe, Martinelli, Ozil, Torreira, Mustafi, Willian?

I know not all of them are starting 11 material these days due to form, but not even the bench?
Gotta admit some of the names on there I don't even recognize, but then I don't usually follow Arsenal.

Superunknown

Don't think ive ever seen Keita have a really good game
I agree. I was half-expecting him to come to the Premier League and make an impression, but he's made a minimal impact since arriving. Not that I'm complaining.

marktan

This is today? I know different teams finished at different times but feels weird with the CL and EL finishing like only a week ago

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
What's up with Arsenal though? Am I missing some injuries?

Where is Lacazette, Guendouzi, Sokratis, Pepe, Martinelli, Ozil, Torreira, Mustafi, Willian?

I know not all of them are starting 11 material these days due to form, but not even the bench?
Gotta admit some of the names on there I don't even recognize, but then I don't usually follow Arsenal.
Lacazette & Pepe in quarantine, Guendouzi is a tw*t, Sokratis just had a kid and we're trying to offload him, Martinelli out til 2021, Ozil is Ozil, Torreira on a break/trying to get sold, Mustafi injured and Willian just joined. Curious to see Martinez start though.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Great finish but Neco Williams really shouldn’t be starting at RB he constantly got caught like that against Brighton last season too.

DarkLord

Feels so weird the game is played on a Saturday. What a goal by Auba. He must really love Wembley.

Superunknown

This is today? I know different teams finished at different times but feels weird with the CL and EL finishing like only a week ago
The timing of this is really odd. I had no idea it was today until I saw it mentioned somewhere. Should be taking place next Saturday, a week before the new season, imo.