Compulsory military service re-introduced in France.

Silva

You either trust official reports or you do not, you cannot cherry pick what you want and have it both ways.

When people are usually angered by something you tend to give them what they want. This is where the term scapegoat comes from.
Cover ups don't mean all government reports are lies. But they still couldn't find a single example of torture helping anyone.

And how do you know that the information relayed to those making the decision to carry out the strike was not totally different from what it turned out to be? How do you know that they were not told this was a convoy of militants travelling with al-Badani? As I said you and others need to stop making assumptions when you don't understand the process and you need to make sure that you and others stop bringing in to power to those who continue to have these policies.
The guy pulling the trigger not knowing it was a wedding party doesn't mean the attack is any less evil. Justifying these attacks, knowing what they were, makes me think me initial impressions of you were wholly justified.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
And how do you know that the information relayed to those making the decision to carry out the strike was not totally different from what it turned out to be? How do you know that they were not told this was a convoy of militants travelling with al-Badani? As I said you and others need to stop making assumptions when you don't understand the process and you need to make sure that you and others stop bringing in to power to those who continue to have these policies.
This is a good argument for not raining death out of a blue sky.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You either trust official reports or you do not, you cannot cherry pick what you want and have it both ways.

When people are usually angered by something you tend to give them what they want. This is where the term scapegoat comes from.

See above.

Fin 2.
Correct. There are generally clear rules of engagement on these operations (ROI) and plans are routinely cancelled if there is evidence innocent civilians will be affected. Bill Clinton famously called off an operation against Bin Laden himself because he was concerned about nearby civilians

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
If this thread is anything to go on, older folk need compulsory lessons in creative writing because your insults are wack.
Why would you think I meant it as an insult? You seem to feel addressed by that, which is kind of weird.

Halftrack

They should reintroduce it everywhere. I bet you we wouldn't have this generation of hyper offended snowflakes.
Doing a year of mandatory service, being part of the Home Guard (essentially the rapid response reserve force some of those who complete their service get drafted into) and volunteering for courses to rise through the ranks, has not kept me from being a snowflake in the eyes of those broke-brained enough to use the word. So no, I don't think it'd make much of a dent in the number of "hyper offended snowflakes".

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Quick question, would you agree with torturing one individual if that meant saving the lives of 10 others?
Life is not this black and white. There is no situation where said torturing garantuees saving ten lives. Thus there is no situation where torture is okay.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Doing a year of mandatory service, being part of the Home Guard (essentially the rapid response reserve force some of those who complete their service get drafted into) and volunteering for courses to rise through the ranks, has not kept me from being a snowflake in the eyes of those broke-brained enough to use the word. So no, I don't think it'd make much of a dent in the number of "hyper offended snowflakes".
Maybe using the term snowflake is worse than being a person that doesn't respect the men and women who'd put their own life at risk to save strangers in dangerous situations without thinking twice.

Or yeah, maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Maybe using the term snowflake is worse than being a person that doesn't respect the men and women who'd put their own life at risk to save strangers in dangerous situations without thinking twice.

It might be a generational thing. Many of today's young voters seem to have their entire views on the military informed by the Iraq War and the subsequent debates about interventionism.

Halftrack

I have criticised some of the posts I felt were needlessly hostile towards those that serve, but I tried to be as respectful as possible while doing so. So if you're accusing me of applying different standards or something, don't worry, I'm not.

As I don't think serving in the military warrants any more respect than working in a factory or a being a teacher, it follows that I don't think being disrespectful towards military personnel is any worse than being disrespectful towards a whole generation of people, generally speaking.

I've done a year of mandatory service, so have a lot of people I know, and our political views are no less varied than those of the people who haven't. Anecdotal and all that, but I really don't think any of these snowflakes who think blackface is bad, or think refusing to acknowledge trans-persons is shitty, would be any more okay with it if they spent a year in the military.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
As I don't think serving in the military warrants any more respect than working in a factory or a being a teacher
Of course it does, come on now. While being a teacher is a super important job they still don't risk their lives doing their job. Well, not outside the US at least. ;)
Anecdotal and all that, but I really don't think any of these snowflakes who think blackface is bad, or think refusing to acknowledge trans-persons is shitty, would be any more okay with it if they spent a year in the military.
Not in those aspects, but it would have in others unquestionably. There's no denying that there is a big percentage of today's generation who is soft and whiny about everything and are constantly on the lookout for the next thing to be outraged about. I'm sure having been in the army would have benefitted them in more than one way, which doesn't mean that I think they would have changed their values and morals on most important issues of course.

Last edited:

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There are significantly less odious ways of extracting information from prisoners than torturing them. I know a guy who was in a leadership role at Gitmo in its early days, who would simply make friends with various prisoners and get him a cheeseburger and fries from the outside and they would chat about things that were of significant value. The trouble with torture is that if you torture me, I am more likely to tell you what I think you want to hear than what may actually be the truth, in order to stop the pain and discomfort.
It's actually something that you are particularly taught, you can't trust intel from physical or mental torture. If you work in human intelligence, your job is to get intel with little contact, you do the same job than the police but you have the means to reach places that the police can't.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's actually something that you are particularly taught, you can't trust intel from physical or mental torture. If you work in human intelligence, your job is to get intel with little contact, you do the same job than the police but you have the means to reach places that the police can't.
Yep....that's why signals and human are the best varieties. The target rarely knows they are providing information.

Halftrack

Of course it does, come on now. While being a teacher is a super important job they still don't risk their lives doing their job. Well, not outside the US at least. ;)
Given that the vast, vast majority of military personnel serves in administrative or support roles (signals, logistics, engineers), I really don't think it does. If you're frontline infantry and does something worthy of respect and recognition, then that's another matter entirely. Just as with anyone else. Simply signing up or being conscripted does not mean you automatically deserve more respect than someone who chose a different career or wasn't conscripted.
Not in those aspects, but it would have in others unquestionably. There's no denying there's a big percentage of today's generation who are soft and whiny about everything and can't are constantly on the lookout for the next thing to be outraged about. I'm sure having been in the army would have benefitted them in more than one way, which doesn't mean that I think they would have changed their values and morals on most important issues of course.
There are certainly people who are offended by anything, but I don't think there's a big percentage of them, and certainly not enough to just label a whole generation as snowflakes. I mean, you get labeled a snowflake for calling out sexism and bigotry these days, and you get accused of being an SJW or of virtue signaling if you stand up on behalf of victims of inequality. So at what point do you go from just being a decent person to being an easily offended snowflake? There is no clear line that separates the two, and people have wildly different standards for when the terms apply. Even here, on RedMenaceCafe, you'll find people throwing those terms at others for simply saying that the Lukaku chant was problematic, or arguing in favour of United having a women's team.

I guess what I'm getting at is that snowflake, and the other terms mentioned, don't really invite reasonable debate, and are needlessly inflammatory terms to use if you're looking to have any kind of meaningful exchange.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Given that the vast, vast majority of military personnel serves in administrative or support roles (signals, logistics, engineers), I really don't think it does. If you're frontline infantry and does something worthy of respect and recognition, then that's another matter entirely. Just as with anyone else. Simply signing up or being conscripted does not mean you automatically deserve more respect than someone who chose a different career or wasn't conscripted.

There are certainly people who are offended by anything, but I don't think there's a big percentage of them, and certainly not enough to just label a whole generation as snowflakes. I mean, you get labeled a snowflake for calling out sexism and bigotry these days, and you get accused of being an SJW or of virtue signaling if you stand up on behalf of victims of inequality. So at what point do you go from just being a decent person to being an easily offended snowflake? There is no clear line that separates the two, and people have wildly different standards for when the terms apply. Even here, on RedMenaceCafe, you'll find people throwing those terms at others for simply saying that the Lukaku chant was problematic, or arguing in favour of United having a women's team.

I guess what I'm getting at is that snowflake, and the other terms mentioned, don't really invite reasonable debate, and are needlessly inflammatory terms to use if you're looking to have any kind of meaningful exchange.
Fair enough, probably.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Life is not this black and white. There is no situation where said torturing garantuees saving ten lives. Thus there is no situation where torture is okay.
I can assure you there is you just never hear about it. When you hear about all those foiled terror plots on the news how much information do you really get? Not much at all.

Here’s a scenario. A neighbour tips off police about suspicious behaviour. Surveillance reveals plot to attack civilians. Interceptions reveal more people are involved while attack day looms. Arrest of suspect one will just accelerate the rest of the cells actions. How do you handle this situation?

Invade the suspects home and extract information in any way possible starting from cooperation but use threats and force as last resort. Carry out further arrests and stop the plot. Weeks or months later release limited information in the media about it. Go back to how much information you know of the 20 odd plots foiled in the UK over the last few years and consider how real that scenario could be.

@Vato I chuckled. :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I can assure you there is you just never hear about it. When you hear about all those foiled terror plots on the news how much information do you really get? Not much at all.

Here’s a scenario. A neighbour tips off police about suspicious behaviour. Surveillance reveals plot to attack civilians. Interceptions reveal more people are involved while attack day looms. Arrest of suspect one will just accelerate the rest of the cells actions. How do you handle this situation?

Invade the suspects home and extract information in any way possible starting from cooperation but use threats and force as last resort. Carry out further arrests and stop the plot. Weeks or months later release limited information in the media about it. Go back to how much information you know of the 20 odd plots foiled in the UK over the last few years and consider how real that scenario could be.

@Vato I chuckled. :lol:
Speculating about how terrorplots might be unfoiled is not an argument. You wrote down a story resembling an episode of Homeland to back up your point, that's not evidence. I'm also not saying that torture is not an effective way to extract information, I'm saying it's too extreme. Your intel may be wrong and the person you're torturing maybe innocent. Sometimes people, even mighty morphing army people, make mistakes.

I honestly want to have a normal discussion, but the term snowflake is just so fecking cringeworthy, you're in the army, so I suspect you are at least 18 years old, which in my opinion is too old to throw around insults on the level of my dad could beat up your dad. Unless you're Donald Trump, are you Donald Trump?

My dad could totally beat up your dad btw.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
It might be a generational thing. Many of today's young voters seem to have their entire views on the military informed by the Iraq War and the subsequent debates about interventionism.
That's not really any different from a lot of the older generation having their entire views on the military informed by the Vietnam war. And the generation before that on WW2.

I think it's more likely that as society evolves, we embrace liberal attitudes more and become less tribalistic and have less desire to just kill a load of innocent people for little reason.

Zarlak

The word snowflake is a word that many from the older generations go to because they can't move with the times, and they can't evolve with the standards and views of the majority today. So instead they resort to stupid labelling as some lame attempt to discredit an argument and make it look like you're the problem when the issue is a lot of the time actually them and their archaic and stubborn refusal to grow up and enter the current century with the rest of us. But yet after labelling everyone who doesn't wish to be a cnut to other human beings a snowflake for not agreeing with them, they then moan when they're all labelled as racist or sexist for something and cry foul that you just lump them in with others and label them and how it doesn't help address the problem, because double standards and all that. In this day and age, nobody on either side is actually concerned with having a discussion that results in insight or progress. They are already convinced they're right and the other side is wrong and they just want to shout the loudest, or try to pour scorn on the other side, laugh them off, or win every argument.

Last edited:

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Speculating about how terrorplots might be unfoiled is not an argument. You wrote down a story resembling an episode of Homeland to back up your point, that's not evidence. I'm also not saying that torture is not an effective way to extract information, I'm saying it's too extreme. Your intel may be wrong and the person you're torturing maybe innocent. Sometimes people, even mighty morphing army people, make mistakes.

I honestly want to have a normal discussion, but the term snowflake is just so fecking cringeworthy, you're in the army, so I suspect you are at least 18 years old, which in my opinion is too old to throw around insults on the level of my dad could beat up your dad. Unless you're Donald Trump, are you Donald Trump?

My dad could totally beat up your dad btw.
No I gave you an example which isn't that far off what actually happens. There's a pre-charge detention of 14 days for terrorist suspects. What happens during those 14 days rarely sees the light of day.

The word snowflake is a word that many from the older generations go to because they can't move with the times, and they can't evolve with the standards and views of the majority today. So instead they resort to stupid labelling as some lame attempt to discredit an argument and make it look like you're the problem when the issue is a lot of the time actually them and their archaic and stubborn refusal to grow up and enter the current century with the rest of us. But yet after labelling everyone who doesn't wish to be a cnut to other human beings a snowflake for not agreeing with them, they then moan when they're all labelled as racist or sexist for something and cry foul that you just lump them in with others and label them and how it doesn't help address the problem, because double standards and all that. In this day and age, nobody on either side is actually concerned with having a discussion that results in insight or progress. They are already convinced they're right and the other side is wrong and they just want to shout the loudest, or try to pour scorn on the other side, laugh them off, or win every argument.
Yes because getting offended by the font on a restaurant menu is moving with the times :wenger:

Zarlak

Yes because getting offended by the font on a restaurant menu is moving with the times :wenger:
Nobody gets offended by fonts on a restaurant menu, or if so then it was just one stupid person and not indicative of left-leaning liberals. You're just being ridiculous and exaggerating as if it gives you any kind of legitimate point at all which really only goes to prove the point I was making in the post you quoted.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Snowflake doesn't have a political connotation at all. It doesn't matter whether you're a liberal or a conservative, the term snowflake means you're easily offended. So a hipster being offended by someone eating a hamburger is not more of a snowflake than an American hillbilly screaming DON'T TOUCH MA RIGHT TO HAVE GUNZZZ.

If anything, conservative Christians are probably the most snowflakey in general, or rather, conservative religious people in general.

That's the thing about conservatives, any form of progress offends them, it's right there in the word. Conservatives are the enemies of progress, they're basically dragging us down. Feck em. :p

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Nobody gets offended by fonts on a restaurant menu, or if so then it was just one stupid person and not indicative of left-leaning liberals. You're just being ridiculous and exaggerating as if it gives you any kind of legitimate point at all which really only goes to prove the point I was making in the post you quoted.
I could probably mention a million of ridiculous things people have been offended about. The term snowflake is loosely used to describe such people, its not coincidental that the majority are millenials. I never equated snowflake to liberals or conservatives. It has nothing to do with ones political views. I'd see myself as very much a left-leaning liberal.

Zarlak

I could probably mention a million of ridiculous things people have been offended about. The term snowflake is loosely used to describe such people, its not coincidental that the majority are millenials. I never equated snowflake to liberals or conservatives. It has nothing to do with ones political views. I'd see myself as very much a left-leaning liberal.
Go on then. I'd wager that you're just exaggerating again. The term snowflake is very much tied to political views, because it's used almost exclusively by the right to describe people on the left as their point of view tends to be that liberals are offended by everything these days. 'Snowflake libtard' etc. It may have originated elsewhere, but it's not how it's used today. You don't see those on the right referring to other right leaning people as snowflakes, not generally in discourse anyway. There will be the odd exception.

Stactix

Not in those aspects, but it would have in others unquestionably. There's no denying that there is a big percentage of today's generation who is soft and whiny about everything and are constantly on the lookout for the next thing to be outraged about. I'm sure having been in the army would have benefitted them in more than one way, which doesn't mean that I think they would have changed their values and morals on most important issues of course.
One thing to bare in mind though, is how technology has evolved. Ask yourself this, how did you see those you deem 'snowflakes' and I would be willing to bet the majority are on platforms that didn't exist in past generations.
I see just as many middleaged 'whiners' as youngsters in all honesty.
Technology has just made it much easier to get attention, it's easier to complain to companies, it's easier to get in the news, it's easier to reach 10000s of people all around the world, while in past generations, to get the limelight it's getting your story in the papers or on the news.. Neither of which was likely.

Also, I hate the term Snowflake, the alt right scum pretty much brought it to the limelight and the 'inside joke' Ashes of those that died in the gas chambers..

On topic, I wouldn't be a fan of compulsory military service, more a voluntary one with a reasonable reward to motivate even the laziest to give it a go.

Ultimate Grib

Supports
LA Galaxy
Go on then. I'd wager that you're just exaggerating again. The term snowflake is very much tied to political views, because it's used almost exclusively by the right to describe people on the left as their point of view tends to be that liberals are offended by everything these days. 'Snowflake libtard' etc. It may have originated elsewhere, but it's not how it's used today.
I'm not really going to list you a million things because that's just a figure of speech, you surely understand what it means and if you don't then that's another gripe people have with snowflakes, taking things too literally.

I'm sorry I don't agree with you, libtard and snowflake are completely different I wouldn't put them in the same category. Libtard is used exclusively by the right to describe lefties while the other one is used by almost everyone who finds it ridiculous how precious people can be and how easily offended they are about everything. It's not an exclusive right of the liberals to be offended easily, there's plenty conservatives who bitch and moan about everything and one of them is currently in the White House.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
One thing to bare in mind though, is how technology has evolved. Ask yourself this, how did you see those you deem 'snowflakes' and I would be willing to bet the majority are on platforms that didn't exist in past generations.
I see just as many middleaged 'whiners' as youngsters in all honesty.
Technology has just made it much easier to get attention, it's easier to complain to companies, it's easier to get in the news, it's easier to reach 10000s of people all around the world, while in past generations, to get the limelight it's getting your story in the papers or on the news.. Neither of which was likely.

Also, I hate the term Snowflake, the alt right scum pretty much brought it to the limelight and the 'inside joke' Ashes of those that died in the gas chambers..

On topic, I wouldn't be a fan of compulsory military service, more a voluntary one with a reasonable reward to motivate even the laziest to give it a go.
This.

All generations whine about the generation after them being whiners. Apart from it being quite ironic, this generation is the first to take their whining on Twitter.

In Holland baby boomers are also called the protest generation, because they were the first to vocally protest a lot of things the government did. Ofcourse they did so with picket signs instead of on Twitter. Ofcourse there are people that just whine about everything to see attention, that has nothing to do with their generation and everything to do with them having a platform to show their whining to the public.

Past generations weren't better. They were less healthy, less good at sports, less advanced, less enlightened, less everything. I know aging in to irrelevance is difficult, but it's something you have to deal with. And all generations deal with it the same way, by saying young people are whiny feckers who should grow some balls by joining the military, spending a winter in Alaska or oil wrestle a grizzly bear.

Zarlak

I'm not really going to list you a million things because that's just a figure of speech, you surely understand what it means and if you don't then that's another gripe people have with snowflakes, taking things too literally.

I'm sorry I don't agree with you, libtard and snowflake are completely different I wouldn't put them in the same category. Libtard is used exclusively by the right to describe lefties while the other one is used by almost everyone who finds it ridiculous how precious people can be and how easily offended they are about everything. It's not an exclusive right of the liberals to be offended easily, there's plenty conservatives who bitch and moan about everything and one of them is currently in the White House.
You may not put them in the same category but many, many people do and that's who I was describing in the post that you quoted. Of course I know you're not going to list a million things, but you didn't try to list any, it was probably 3 or 4 things you could mention, maybe 10 but you made it sound like it was a massive amount and I was wagering that it wasn't at all. Instead you were being dramatic and using that to masquerading as substance as if it further proved a point you were trying to make, but really you didn't offer up anything at all beyond 'being offended at fonts' which nobody is.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Snowflake doesn't have a political connotation at all. It doesn't matter whether you're a liberal or a conservative, the term snowflake means you're easily offended. So a hipster being offended by someone eating a hamburger is not more of a snowflake than an American hillbilly screaming DON'T TOUCH MA RIGHT TO HAVE GUNZZZ.

If anything, conservative Christians are probably the most snowflakey in general, or rather, conservative religious people in general.

That's the thing about conservatives, any form of progress offends them, it's right there in the word. Conservatives are the enemies of progress, they're basically dragging us down. Feck em. :p
It also conveniently ignores the fact that throughout pretty much the entirety of human history there have been things people got easily offended by and things that people couldn't say. For a long time in a lot of societies you couldn't really criticise religion. People were appalled by swearing and crude language. And by homosexuality. And by just about anything which didn't fit in with their preconceived worldview.

But, nah...it's modern people who are 'snowflakes'.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I don't know about the British Navy but in France that's possible.
Wouldn't it be frowned upon for people in counter terrorism to talk about their modus operandi? Even I'm not allowed to talk about the way we do stuff at work.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Wouldn't it be frowned upon for people in counter terrorism to talk about their modus operandi? Even I'm not allowed to talk about the way we do stuff at work.
He didn't reveal anything that you wouldn't see in Strike Force.

SteveTheRed

Nobody gets offended by restaurants menu fonts! so ridiculous...just when they get called snowflakes :lol: