Conte to leave Inter?

Giggsyking

I don't know if he is good for us. If he leaves, he usually leaves a mess behind him.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Don t think Ole can be gone by Christmas, unless we are out of CL, again, and are 20 points behind in PL.

I think he will be assessed at the end of the season.

Nevertheless, even if Conte is someone who wins everywhere he goes, I wouldn't want him at United.

His 352 is a pain to watch and his football too. He s too strict with the players and will finish the players in two years.

Zidane is not the ideal choice neither to succeed Ole btw

Drizzle

Nevertheless, even if Conte is someone who wins everywhere he goes, I wouldn't want him at United.

His 352 is a pain to watch and his football too. He s too strict with the players and will finish the players in two years.

Zidane is not the ideal choice neither to succeed Ole btw
Agreed. Conte is another Mourinho 'deal with the devil' manager, the short term trophy over long term health of the club. Genuinely think he'd fail here and it would become toxic very quickly. We've done that, let's not go back there.

Zidane is a mystery. How much of Madrids success was him? Who knows, but I'm not keen on United being the ones to gamble on him to test the theory.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Agreed. Conte is another Mourinho 'deal with the devil' manager, the short term trophy over long term health of the club. Genuinely think he'd fail here and it would become toxic very quickly. We've done that, let's not go back there.

Zidane is a mystery. How much of Madrids success was him? Who knows, but I'm not keen on United being the ones to gamble on him to test the theory.
Issue with Zidane is now that with the good squad we have, with Ronaldo, Varane and Pogba, with all the Spanish speakers at the club, he could find his place and links in the group, but I am not sure if he would like to manage United, when the French national team will be free in 18 months.

But even if his style is not Guardiola's or Klopp, one thing is sure, tactically he's not in Solskjaer's dimension at all.

Oranges038

Would anyone hire a guy for any job, if you knew he'd fallen out with his last 3 employers?

Conte is a nut case and he will go out of his way to find something to cry about.

Idxomer

I don't know if he is good for us. If he leaves, he usually leaves a mess behind him.
He left Juve and they kept winning the league. He went to Chelsea to fix Mourinho's mess and won the league right away without buying anyone significant except Kante and Luiz. His 2nd season was bad and his transfers were underwhelming but at Chelsea anyway the manager isn't the one fully responsible for transfers. We also know they didn't get him his no. 1 target that summer.

After joining Inter, he made them into a title-winning squad in a year and it's hardly his fault the owners decided to sell his two best players and stop investing in the team.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Few years? If he isn't up there at or very near the top of the table by xmas he should be gone. Or if he screws up any more games in the CL.
Nah he wont go. Even if we're ko'd of the CL group stages, as long as we're in or around the top 4 he'll be fine and given till the end of the season.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
We need someone to come in and play a modern brand of football, possession and intensity based. Conte is not the man for the job.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Genuine question, not aimed at you personally but to the cafe in general as your comment made me think about this.

Would you rather have a manager, who as you say might leave the squad in a mess when he leaves but will win titles, or

Would you rather have a manager who has built a squad for the long term, one that is harmonious but wins diddly squat?

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
We need someone to come in and play a modern brand of football, possession and intensity based. Conte is not the man for the job.
Other than the likes of Tuchel, pep or Klopp...is there anyone else? Zidane? Luis Enrique?

Infra-red

Few years? If he isn't up there at or very near the top of the table by xmas he should be gone. Or if he screws up any more games in the CL.
I agree. But the club absolutely do not care what I think (and nor should they).

As long as we continue to finish at least 4th and Ole continues to tow the line, defend the owners publicly and not moan too much about a the lack of a decent midfielder in his squad, he will be fine and will keep his job.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Florentino bis: league/cl trophies won without Zidane in a coaching role: 1
League/cl trophies won with Zidane: 6

mu4c_20le

But even if his style is not Guardiola's or Klopp, one thing is sure, tactically he's not in Solskjaer's dimension at all.
So is LVG, means feck all. The criteria to succeed Ole at Man Utd should be a hell of a lot more than just 'be better than Ole'. I think Zidane commands more respect than Conte who is a nutter, that is a lot more important than intricate tactics and detailed instructions (to which we've never responded well anyways).

Giggsyking

Genuine question, not aimed at you personally but to the cafe in general as your comment made me think about this.

Would you rather have a manager, who as you say might leave the squad in a mess when he leaves but will win titles, or

Would you rather have a manager who has built a squad for the long term, one that is harmonious but wins diddly squat?
Off course the first option. But I also would rather someone like Pep who would stay a long time and wins titles consistently. But that is a simple answer, the reality is that there are many factors affect the choice of the manager.

Giggsyking

Di Marzio think Conte will consider only if Manchetser United call.

ShinjiNinja26

He tends to deliver league success everywhere he goes that’s for sure. Although he also tends to leave clubs in disarray by the time he departs as well.

Infra-red

He tends to deliver league success everywhere he goes that’s for sure. Although he also tends to leave clubs in disarray by the time he departs as well.
He's a top coach, but going from Ole to Conte would be such a jarring experience for the club, that I'm not sure it would really be a good idea.

The good: he's one of the best tacticians around and his in-game management is second to none. He's also obsessed with winning. The bad: he publicly demands transfers (and will equally publicly meltdown if he doesn't get what he asks for), falls out with all the higher-ups and tends to burn up all goodwill at the club within a few years, departing with a long list of enemies (and, to be fair, a league trophy or two).

I can't really imagine a manager more diametrically opposed to Ole. He is pretty much the anti-Solskjaer. I'd worry that he'd leave us in an almighty mess (I'm imagining a toupee-covered wrecking ball) and he's also not the best fit for our squad (given his preference for wingbacks and our surplus of wide forwards).

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
The only club he left in a bit of a mess was Chelsea. If Inter were in a mess, it wasn’t down to him. His football being “negative” is massively overplayed. Juventus we’re good to watch under him and played 424 a lot of the time (he started off trying that at Chelsea). Inter’s football was so so. Regardless, he’s much better than OGS. He’s one of the absolute best. I think he’d be good on 2 year deal. Don’t see it happening though…

Last edited:

largelyworried

I'd be very wary about Conte. Brilliant coach, much underrated. You don't break the consecutive win record with a negative team. But I think we've gone through a lot of pain to get to the point where we're set up for long term success, I feel like it'd be a shame to strike out in a different direction with a manager who ha been very short term of late. If Ole goes and there's no long(er) term option, then at least we'd be very competetive, but he wouldn't be front of the queue if it were up to me.

kaiser1

Pep's Mum
Supports
Bayern Munich
With Conte you are guaranteed to be a non factor in Europe but win locally

Josh 76

Klopp will leave Liverpool in a mess in a couple of years. Don’t mean feck all if your wining when you are their!

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
If Ole goes and there's no long(er) term option, then at least we'd be very competetive, but he wouldn't be front of the queue if it were up to me.
You guys really need to stop thinking about managers in terms of longevity. Just have the club control the kinds of players you're buying, so managers can't come along and total screw up your overall direction.

MonkeysMagic

Whilst I absolutely think that Ole is done at Utd, Conte is not the answer. This is precisely a case in point which highlights the feeble groundwork and proactiveness Utd board undertake such that we are looking for whose about to take over!

If Ole were to go on a losing run and the decision becomes inevitable, we will just end up with Conte!

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I'd be very wary about Conte. Brilliant coach, much underrated. You don't break the consecutive win record with a negative team. But I think we've gone through a lot of pain to get to the point where we're set up for long term success, I feel like it'd be a shame to strike out in a different direction with a manager who ha been very short term of late. If Ole goes and there's no long(er) term option, then at least we'd be very competetive, but he wouldn't be front of the queue if it were up to me.
I don't get your long term thingy. If conte well paid and backed up by your board he will not turn his back. That guy is lunatic but not like Jose who could pick fight in vacuum.

All he do things only good for his team. If you spent similar amount and appoint conte you could have won twice this league with fa cup as bonus.

Ole of course try to jump to win a trophy till now. He did well but conte and ole no comparison there.

dove

Conte is a defensive coach. Who uses very proactive defending. Hence His sides score loads. He isn't a fan of youth
He has his weird personal favorites. He would just upset the cart at United
Win for a time, get pissed off and leave us rebuilding again. There is no point in targeting him. As good as he is.
I am not saying Conte is the right man for the job but that "rebuilding" phrase is just stupid and used as an excuse why we are failing. We would not need any rebuilding if he leaves after "winning for a time". Someone else could just come and continue winning rather than throwing that rebuilding phrase around.

padzilla

Hipster
I would look at Zidane first, he was able to mould a team full of individual superstars into a side that won an unprecedented three CLs in a row with Madrid by playing a formation that suited the players he had, not the other way round.
He has an understated presence and can't imagine he would rock the boat and cause bedlam.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Lots of off-base claims about Conte in this thread.

He doesn't stay in jobs long but he isn't a Mourinho, falling out with everybody and leaving a trail of wreckage in his wake. He mainly just wants to win and doesn't have time for foolishness or lack of ambition.

Juve was in great shape when he left.

At Chelsea, he clashed with some of the sporting directors because he knew that the team needed to improve to push on for the CL (and compete with what Pep was going to build at City), yet he didn't get the players he wanted and they signed the likes of Drinkwater and Bakayoko instead. Hard to blame him for that.

At Inter, he got along fine with Marotta but didn't want to stick around while the ownership liquidated his side and sold his best players. Again, hard to blame him for that.

largelyworried

You guys really need to stop thinking about managers in terms of longevity. Just have the club control the kinds of players you're buying, so managers can't come along and total screw up your overall direction.
I'm not talking about 20+ years. But with a lot of pain and long term planning we finally have a group of players with a wonderful age profile who could stay and develop together for at least four to five years before any more major surgery is needed. We want a manager to match this cycle. Conte might last that long, but its doubtful. Unless of course, we let him control the kind of players we're buying.

Drizzle

He doesn't stay in jobs long but he isn't a Mourinho, falling out with everybody and leaving a trail of wreckage in his wake. He mainly just wants to win and doesn't have time for foolishness or lack of ambition.
Seems like a perfect fit for United then....

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I am not saying Conte is the right man for the job but that "rebuilding" phrase is just stupid and used as an excuse why we are failing. We would not need any rebuilding if he leaves after "winning for a time". Someone else could just come and continue winning rather than throwing that rebuilding phrase around.
That is the nonsense everyone wants us to believe. LVG started the winning again. Mourinho a diametric opposite did it for a bit then left us having to rebuild again. Its high time people disabused themselves of wanting us to hire managers who are diametric opposites to the incumbent just because they have a winning record. Manchester United is not Chelsea or Real Madrid. We succeed best under continuity of direction not merely winning.

Fact is after a Conte leave you after his guaranteed short stint you wont get any other manager just like him and the resultant football change in footballing direction will probably leave you winning nothing again for a big spell.

If you feel Ole can be upgraded, fine. Desire to hire an actual upgrade on what he is trying to do. Not someone who does absolutely nothing he does,

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ole is not going anywhere for at least another few years.
Yeah he may be unemployment post United.

Hope Ole delivers this season but he has guarantee of making it to next season let alone be here for a few more years. Expectations are high at United and he has to show he is good enough to keep his seat.

dove

That is the nonsense everyone wants us to believe. LVG started the winning again. Mourinho a diametric opposite did it for a bit then left us having to rebuild again. Its high time people disabused themselves of wanting us to hire managers who are diametric opposites to the incumbent just because they have a winning record. Manchester United is not Chelsea or Real Madrid. We succeed best under continuity of direction not merely winning.

Fact is after a Conte leave you after his guaranteed short stint you wont get any other manager just like him and the resultant football change in footballing direction will probably leave you winning nothing again for a big spell.

If you feel Ole can be upgraded, fine. Desire to hire an actual upgrade on what he is trying to do. Not someone who does absolutely nothing he does,
Nonsense. As long as the club has any vision of what type of football we should play, what type of players we should sign then every good manager who fits our style and philosophy will be able to take over without the need of 5 year rebuilding job because he will be able to do it with the set of players we have. "Manchester United is not Chelsea or Real Madrid" - yes, we are not Chelsea or Real Madrid. They have much higher requirements for their managers. You fail, you are sacked. Our managers tend to get a free pass for a couple years because you know, rebuilding job... Our absolute lack of standards and ruthlessness is one of the reasons we have won feck all in the last 8 years, combined with our superb ability to pick the worst managers we can. Our current coaching staff is laughable. Chelsea were in a similar boat with their own experiment with Lampard but quickly ended it meanwhile we are still suffering and will be for quite some time.