Cop in America doing a bad job, again

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Is that new video that has just been released. If so, I can see everything kicking off all over again. These cops just seem stupid, and then the laughing as the person is unresponsive before they even try to resuscitate.

Abizzz

Last edited:

fergieisold

Well that's what the police say. Can you imagine any circumstances where they would say anything other than that? Do you trust them? If you don't, do you think it's beyond them to plant evidence?
Only thing I've seen were quotes from non police witnesses. Who knows what the truth is, I don't immediately distrust the police though. Let's wait for the evidence!

Abizzz

Only thing I've seen were quotes from non police witnesses. Who knows what the truth is, I don't immediately distrust the police though. Let's wait for the evidence!
Waiting for the evidence only really makes sense if one believes that that evidence is gathered in a neutral and just manner. If one (like me) has lost faith in the people tasked with that it makes little sense. I already "know" the outcome, they'll say it was justified, even if video ends up showing him being choked for minutes instead of shot.

(Somehow I can't open the link you posted right now (I could 15minutes ago), I was under the impression that all the neighbours only "heard shots" and none actually saw the incident?)

fergieisold

Waiting for the evidence only really makes sense if one believes that that evidence is gathered in a neutral and just manner. If one (like me) has lost faith in the people tasked with that it makes little sense. I already "know" the outcome, they'll say it was justified, even if video ends up showing him being choked for minutes instead of shot.

(Somehow I can't open the link you posted right now (I could 15minutes ago), I was under the impression that all the neighbours only "heard shots" and none actually saw the incident?)
All I've seen is this quote in the article...

"Chad Smith and Chase Cutler, who were working on cars nearby Thursday, said an unmarked SUV had been parked on School Street for a while when that SUV and another converged on a man in a vehicle at the apartment complex. Smith and Cutler moved onto a grassy area about 50 yards away to watch what was happening.

The man got out of his vehicle and began to fire what they believe was an assault rifle at the SUVs. They said they heard 40 or 50 shots, then officers returned fire, hitting the man.

“It reminded me of a video game,” Cutler said."

Who knows if it's false or not. When I say evidence I mean actual video or something or independent witnesses that saw what happened.

Abizzz

All I've seen is this quote in the article...

"Chad Smith and Chase Cutler, who were working on cars nearby Thursday, said an unmarked SUV had been parked on School Street for a while when that SUV and another converged on a man in a vehicle at the apartment complex. Smith and Cutler moved onto a grassy area about 50 yards away to watch what was happening.

The man got out of his vehicle and began to fire what they believe was an assault rifle at the SUVs. They said they heard 40 or 50 shots, then officers returned fire, hitting the man.

“It reminded me of a video game,” Cutler said."

Who knows if it's false or not. When I say evidence I mean actual video or something or independent witnesses that saw what happened.
Thanks, I somehow missed the bolded part when I read it earlier. And I agree, if there's evidence of that nature I'm open to being convinced by it too.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Seriously? That's laughable.
In some states it's far less (and in some more, to be fair!)

To compare, in Norway everyone has to complete a 3-year Bachelor programme at a state-run University College, which includes a lot of non-violence/discipline related classes and research. There are also non-physical admission requirements, so while I'm sure we've also got some who just want to feck shit up and look cool in a uniform, that's somewhat mitigated at least.

Obviously this isn't perfectly transferable to the US, but it's... something.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
With the amount murder of suspects going on you have to wonder where the good cops are.
What's being said in their morning briefings and their training updates?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
With the amount murder of suspects going on you have to wonder where the good cops are.
What's being said in their morning briefings and their training updates?
They aren't saying anything. It's hard enough to get them to condemn one another under anonymity let alone on the record...

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This "bad apples" thing must've been invented specifically for police officers, because we don't hear it about any other profession.
The problem with bad apples is that they tend to make the others in the bag go bad as well. You're meant to get rid of bad apples, or at least I thought that was the point of the phrase.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Last edited:

Dr. StrangeHate

As someone so perfectly puts it in the replies, what is the ‘well, if he just followed directions...’ contingent going to say now? For christ‘s sake, the kids hugging a fecking koala bear.

Dear god, look at the dispersion of the injuries, from the shoulders to the ankles.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/08/linden-cameron-police-shooting-boy-autism-utah
WTF. Seriously WTF.

I guess this is a good example of passing such cases to a social worker/trained professional rather than Police with f****** guns.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
WTF. Seriously WTF.
This is the result of horrifically poor training & the police going into every situation seeing the public as a threat. There was no crime being committed that prompted the 911 call, the cops apparently had some sort of contact with his mother, but, yet again, someone is shot multiple times & the reason was a ‘weapon’ was present. Why not tase him? If it was because he was having a mental issue, then how are 9mm better?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
WTF. Seriously WTF.

I guess this is a good example of passing such cases to a social worker/trained professional rather than Police with f****** guns.
Absolutely. Direct some of the bloated police budgets to creating a competent social worker force to handle these non-emergent situations. It’s common sense.

FireballXL5

At this point all you can say is that they just enjoy shooting and killing their own people. Just imagine what their fecking military get up to in foreign countries.

mu4c_20le

At this point all you can say is that they just enjoy shooting and killing their own people. Just imagine what their fecking military get up to in foreign countries.
Many of them are ex military, it's one of the usual career paths when they come back home. The problem is that most departments usually consider them the best cops.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Many of them are ex military, it's one of the usual career paths when they come back home. The problem is that most departments usually consider them the best cops.
True but with the shortage of applicants and less folks going the military route first I presume that number has decreased steadily in the last 5-10 years. Certainly the past two years or so based on the numbers ive seen.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This guy handled this great. The last thing you want to be doing is getting aggy with them.

This is just incredible. I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to remain this calm throughout. By the end of it, the officer was basically begging him to leave.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
That cop. He knows he’s wrong, but is too stubborn or small dicked to acknowledge it.
The driver needs to keep the video rolling each time it happens so he can get a lawyer on it.

But, Fresno PD won’t care if he’s right, they care about showing who’s boss so in the end he’ll change his lights and Fresno PD can go back to abusing others.

GiddyUp

I firmly believe that overnight shift gas station employees and 24 hour food joint employees are braver and smarter than a regular cop in this country.