Cop in America doing a bad job, again

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
"You're career is over"
The “best” part? Like my example above he was apparently the wrong guy. He was still arrested for resisting arrest. This is the bullshit, when the police feck up and arrest the wrong person (or bash open the wrong door in Breanna Taylor’s case) then it is a “mistake”. If you dare try and protect yourself or your rights they can beat the shit out of you or kill you and claim you were resisting arrest. In any other case it you would be you defending yourself against an attempted kidnapping or assault.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The “best” part? Like my example above he was apparently the wrong guy. He was still arrested for resisting arrest. This is the bullshit, when the police feck up and arrest the wrong person (or bash open the wrong door in Breanna Taylor’s case) then it is a “mistake”. If you dare try and protect yourself or your rights they can beat the shit out of you or kill you and claim you were resisting arrest. In any other case it you would be you defending yourself against an attempted kidnapping or assault.
It's absolutely mental.

NotThatSoph

The Breanna Taylor case is way worse. They had the correct door as in it was the address on the warrant, it's just insane and the absolute proof of a police state that they got a warrant. The "justification" is insane. Of course the time of day (night) and no-knock makes it even worse, but even without considering that it's just pure fascism. If they actually raided the "wrong" address then you could conceivably call it incompetence, but this is malice.

Anustart89

I’m not stating outright that they are fair game to be assaulted, I’m just stating that I don’t give a much of a shit if they are.

The whole system is corrupt, I don’t think that can be argued. The system is corrupt due to the actions of the members, even if they are in the minority. That kind of stain washes over the entire system. To think otherwise is laughably foolish. That’s why I can’t give too much of a feck if shit like this happens.
You don't even realise the irony in these statements.

Anustart89

Where’s the irony?
Please do enlighten me.
I find it ironic to claim 'not give a shit' about someone being physically attacked for not necessarily his own actions, but the perceived actions of someone else belonging to that same group. Not just the claim itself, but the fact that it's posted in a thread that is very much about cops in America unjustly targeting black people and assaulting them, not necessarily for their own actions but for the perceived actions of a minority of black people.

I would think that this targeting of black people is one of the reasons you don't like police officers in the first place, so I find it a bit ironic that you are so indifferent to violence towards someone based on the group of people they belong to, regardless of their own actions.

mu4c_20le

Hypocrisy then, better?
You were definitely looking for signs of hypocrisy, but in this context I think it's a pretty normal reaction to feel indifferent towards the people who are being accused of racial bias, no?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
You were definitely looking for signs of hypocrisy, but in this context I think it's a pretty normal reaction to feel indifferent towards the people who are being accused of racial bias, no?
So basically when you are cop in America, you are legitimate target of violence by virtue of being a cop? I don't think it's normal reaction. I think it's pretty indiscriminate.

mu4c_20le

So basically when you are cop in America, you are legitimate target of violence by virtue of being a cop? I don't think it's normal reaction. I think it's pretty indiscriminate.
That is the reality of the situation, a situation they created. No one here has actually called for or endorsed violence against the police, but you can't expect everyone to be like tree huggers. People on the left often use the slogan love trumps hate, but that doesn't mean they are incapable of feeling anger.

Anustart89

I would expect someone to apply the same moral standards to both sides of a conflict. If you strongly disagree with the police physically abusing a random black person for what other black people did, then I would think that it'd be reasonable for the same person to disagree with people physically abusing a random police officer for what other police officers did.

The type of reaction that you say is normal is one I'd only class as normal if you're so heavily entrenched in your position that you're unable to apply any sort of critical thinking or base your opinions on logic but only on "good side does good things, bad side does bad things".

Then again, that's very much how America today works and is a big reason that things are the way they are over there.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I would expect someone to apply the same moral standards to both sides of a conflict. If you strongly disagree with the police physically abusing a random black person for what other black people did, then I would think that it'd be reasonable for the same person to disagree with people physically abusing a random police officer for what other police officers did.
What’s that then?

mu4c_20le

If you expect that after watching all these videos and stories about abusive police, then I applaud you for your steadfastness.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
Except, Police doesn't abuse black people for that reason.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

The type of reaction that you say is normal is one I'd only class as normal if you're so heavily entrenched in your position that you're unable to apply any sort of critical thinking or base your opinions on logic but only on "good side does good things, bad side does bad things".

Then again, that's very much how America today works and is a big reason that things are the way they are over there.
I can fully appreciate your sentiment & would love to harbor some of that sentiment, but when it’s occurring in one’s country on the daily & one has more than tangential connections with police brutality / corruption / ineptitude, it’s not difficult to have a pretty nuanced & educated opinion, both emotional & intellectual, about a generationally-occurring topic that includes ambivalence towards negative things happening to the antagonists. I’m not ashamed to say that. It looks different to others when it’s more of a 2D exercise, when one’s removed from the actuality of it.

Anustart89

I can fully appreciate your sentiment & would love to harbor some of that sentiment, but when it’s occurring in one’s country on the daily & one has more than tangential connections with police brutality / corruption / ineptitude, it’s not difficult to have a pretty nuanced & educated opinion, both emotional & intellectual, about a generationally-occurring topic that includes ambivalence towards negative things happening to the antagonists. I’m not ashamed to say that. It looks different to others when it’s more of a 2D exercise, when one’s removed from the actuality of it.
Fair enough. I think it's fair to apply some critical thought to your position or argument and still stick by it, as long as you reflect on your reasons.

I object to people (not you obviously) just taking a side and sticking to it for no other reason than "that's what I've always done and what I always will do" even though the actions on both sides being seemingly similar*. And I also agree that it's a position that's easier to take from the other side of the pond, obviously.

* or not similar at all, like some people just ignoring the things Trump does while criticizing Obama for doing much less than he did and getting a shit-ton of abuse for it.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Police officers aren't discriminated against. They sign up to be police officers. They can stop at any time. Its not remotely the same as skin color or sexual orientation

Last edited:

Anustart89

Police officers aren't discriminated against. They sign up to be police officers. They can stop at any time. Its not remotely the same as skin color or sexual orientation
So if you're a police officer who happens to be a good guy then you have to quit your job and look for a new one during a global pandemic to protect yourself from a well-deserved assault? Because they signed up to be police officers they are responsible for the actions of all their colleagues? Does that go for every profession?

Is it that easy for you to just quit your job and sack off your livelihood? Is it such a ridiculous claim to say that any random police officer shouldn't be fair game to assault?

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Can police offers go on strike or organize protests in the US or are there any laws against it?

If they have that right, why do we see no protests by police officers demanding something be done about what they consider to be bad apples?

Surely this vast majority of good apples should do something about the current situation.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
Can police offers go on strike or organize protests in the US or are there any laws against it?

If they have that right, why do we see no protests by police officers demanding something be done about what they consider to be bad apples?

Surely this vast majority of good apples should do something about the current situation.
No, it's against policy to do so in uniform, on-duty, or in representation of your department. It's a civil right and ok to protest lawfully on your own time, but is highly discouraged because it opens yourself up to scrutiny and disciplinary action if you're participating in something considered "conduct unbecoming", or if the protest turns into an unlawful assembly, or today with cameras everywhere your actions/inactions will come into question if you see/participate in violence, looting, or anything that will bring your department into disrepute/liability.

And re bad apples, I've said my piece about it months ago I think on this thread if you want to find it. But pretty much they're all in one way or another bad apples.

fergieisold

In general I don't like to just jump in and come to a conclusion from small clips or a few details. That being said, the video shows someone standing there with their hands on their head and a police officer just flying kicking them and then man handling them, I would've thought it's pretty obvious that the police shouldn't be doing that.
The only thing I can see that could have led the copper to kick him was just before he got there the person quickly moves his hands off his head, the approaching officer even flinches at that point.

I don't think the guy behind even saw it though, he just kicked him cos he's a twat by the looks of it!

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The only thing I can see that could have led the copper to kick him was just before he got there the person quickly moves his hands off his head, the approaching officer even flinches at that point.

I don't think the guy behind even saw it though, he just kicked him cos he's a twat by the looks of it!
Wouldn't have been the appropriate action either way really, just really weird behaviour from a police officer.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Vaguely remember a story like this about 2 years ago.
There’s a website that has all the challenge coins & their backstories, about 75 pages worth. Some of the stories were mundane, many were jaw dropping like this one. Unfortunate thing is that a less racist version of this specific coin can be had on eBay for $50.