Cop in America doing a bad job, again

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I think it should be the responsibility of law enforcement to produce guides to what is required during a traffic stop including your rights on what you can refuse to say or do. The whole process is a confusing mess and changes depending which state you are in.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
How often are you getting pulled over by the police to phrase it like that? I haven't ever been pulled over, only stopped at routine alcohol checks.
Probably once a year on average. From errors on my part. Didn’t get ticketed each time.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
How often are you getting pulled over by the police to phrase it like that? I haven't ever been pulled over, only stopped at routine alcohol checks.

The legality of DUI checks is in question too. If you are asked 'have you had anything to drink' your rights should allow you to not answer that question.

Skizzo

When you do a stop do you ask questions fishing for other possibilities? Ask to do a search...that sort of thing?
I work in a shitty area, lots of guns, drugs etc, so I’m always keeping an eye out. A lot of guys with gang ties, parole, probation etc but most people are respectful if you are too. They also change their demeanor when they see you’re CHP and not Sac SO or PD. I try not to jam people up on most stuff because it’s not worth the hassle for them or me. You’re on searchable probation for prior firearm possession? Ok jump out real quick and let’s take a look. Find weed and meth pipes all the time. Just put it back where I find it and tell them they know they can cause problems if they’re caught with it etc etc. and se
That holds if there’s an occupant in the passenger seat as well?
There’s always variables. With passengers I’ll make sure that all windows are rolled down, and depending on the occupants, I might ask them to just put their hands on their laps/seatbelt/dashboard/back of the seat in front of you etc. until I make contact and once I get a feel then I’ll have them put their hands down.

this really has turned into an @Skizzo AMA :)
better than the usual verbal abuse I get in here for saying something :lol:

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
I work in a shitty area, lots of guns, drugs etc, so I’m always keeping an eye out. A lot of guys with gang ties, parole, probation etc but most people are respectful if you are too. They also change their demeanor when they see you’re CHP and not Sac SO or PD. I try not to jam people up on most stuff because it’s not worth the hassle for them or me. You’re on searchable probation for prior firearm possession? Ok jump out real quick and let’s take a look. Find weed and meth pipes all the time. Just put it back where I find it and tell them they know they can cause problems if they’re caught with it etc etc. and se

There’s always variables. With passengers I’ll make sure that all windows are rolled down, and depending on the occupants, I might ask them to just put their hands on their laps/seatbelt/dashboard/back of the seat in front of you etc. until I make contact and once I get a feel then I’ll have them put their hands down.

The window rolled down means that you get to lean in and effectively search the car though. I see vids where people just leave it open enough to pass their documents and the cops get angry with it, despite it being perfectly reasonable. Then you piss off the cop and retaliation occurs.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Who knows what you do before the traffic stop, though.

Skizzo

But people aren't required to admit to you what you may be accusing them of. That's called self-incrimination.
I don’t need them to self-incriminate.

“Evening sir I stopped you for your speed. Any reason you’re traveling at 120?”

That wasn’t me, that was the other blue Mazda. They flew by me too.

“you’re the only car on the freeway”

yeah ok that was me, I just like to drive fast.

Pointless. It differs for everyone, but I give way more verbal warnings than tickets, and it’s not even close. Someone being polite and honest and just saying “yeah I saw the red but couldn’t stop in time” goes way further than lying to me face about what I just saw you do.

The legality of DUI checks is in question too. If you are asked 'have you had anything to drink' your rights should allow you to not answer that question.
your rights do allow you not to answer. You aren’t forced to answer any pre-field sobriety test questions, nor Required to perform any field sobriety tests (barring certain situations)

Skizzo

The window rolled down means that you get to lean in and effectively search the car though. I see vids where people just leave it open enough to pass their documents and the cops get angry with it, despite it being perfectly reasonable. Then you piss off the cop and retaliation occurs.
Theres room where it’s a safety thing though. If your window is perfectly clear and you just want to crack it, fair enough, do your thing.

If they’re blacked out, and the car is full of people, etc etc then that window will be down for everyone’s safety. Or I’ll have you step out and we can conduct things just you and I outside the car.

Who knows what you do before the traffic stop, though.
Just cleared out a bunch of Caf members from their defund the police rally

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Theres room where it’s a safety thing though. If your window is perfectly clear and you just want to crack it, fair enough, do your thing.

If they’re blacked out, and the car is full of people, etc etc then that window will be down for everyone’s safety. Or I’ll have you step out and we can conduct things just you and I outside the car.

Just cleared out a bunch of Caf members from their defund the police rally :wink:

You're also not allowed to ID the passengers either, right? The stop is only about the driver.

Skizzo

Yes but most people don't know this.
People know they aren’t supposed to drink and drive. If they don’t know they don’t have to answer when the last time they slept was, or what they ate and when, then that’s not my concern.

I don’t need them to tell me what they drank for me to know they’re drunk and shouldn’t be driving. We pride ourselves on our DUI investigation and training.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
People know they aren’t supposed to drink and drive. If they don’t know they don’t have to answer when the last time they slept was, or what they ate and when, then that’s not my concern.

I don’t need them to tell me what they drank for me to know they’re drunk and shouldn’t be driving. We pride ourselves on our DUI investigation and training.

Well have you ever said to someone 'you're not legally required to answer this but have you had anything to drink tonight'?

Skizzo

You're also not allowed to ID the passengers either, right? The stop is only about the driver.
Simply being in the car is not enough justification to require ID, no. An officer can ask but a passenger can say no.

Unless there’s specific instances where things change. Eg the passenger isn’t wearing a seatbelt, or tosses a cigarette out of the window. Those things would be a reason for the stop, so now you can ID them. Etc etc.

Skizzo

Well have you ever said to someone 'you're not legally required to answer this but have you had anything to drink tonight'?
Have I started with that? No. They aren’t under arrest at that point, but I explain to them that X, Y and Z has led me to believe that they may be under the influence and I’m going to ask them some questions and go through a dui Investigation. Sometimes they say okay, sometimes they ask if they have to answer and I say no. They then usually ask what happens if they refuse everything, and I’ll tell them I’ll make a decision on whatever information I have at that point. Same with the FST’s. I mention they’re voluntary tests but they’ll help me make a better determination if they’re impaired or not.

Skizzo

This isn't a pile-on @Skizzo session. He's kindly answering our questions patiently and informatively.
keep in mind this is all also just based on my own experiences or training and policies. Things may vary for people elsewhere or other states/departments etc. and I am aware that having potentially vastly different policies etc is what causes such issues sometimes.

I know of one thing in particular that was night and day between us and local agencies which was a surprise. Not sure its public information or sensitive material etc so I won’t go into specifics. But something that was considered deadly force for us was only considered a low level use of force for other agencies. They specifically mentioned that so we didn’t show up to scenes with other agencies and see it happening and draw our firearms etc.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
keep in mind this is all also just based on my own experiences or training and policies. Things may vary for people elsewhere or other states/departments etc. and I am aware that having potentially vastly different policies etc is what causes such issues sometimes.

I know of one thing in particular that was night and day between us and local agencies which was a surprise. Not sure its public information or sensitive material etc so I won’t go into specifics. But something that was considered deadly force for us was only considered a low level use of force for other agencies. They specifically mentioned that so we didn’t show up to scenes with other agencies and see it happening and draw our firearms etc.
What a tease.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal

I thought the act of drawing a firearm met the legal test for using deadly force.

Skizzo

I thought the act of drawing a firearm met the legal test for using deadly force.
I’m referring to something else that we considered as deadly force, but other agencies didn’t. Meaning if we show up on scene and someone has a firearm drawn, then that’s one thing, but if we show up on scene and they’re doing this particular thing then it doesn’t meet our departments threshold for deadly force and so we shouldn’t draw our firearm in response thinking that the other agency was also at that level. Talking only about law enforcement, not the public/suspect etc

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Typically on felony stops there’s specific verbiage that’s supposed to be used, and a particular way you direct someone through certain steps to minimize unnecessary movement. Without knowing their specific training, and at the risk of MMQB’ing it, I’d say any time you’re not being clear and concise in your instructions then you will end up with someone confused, and probably doing what they think you want rather than what you may have asked for. Which can obviously lead to issues beyond the rest of what actually happened.
Like the man being told to crawl and keep his hands in various positions amongst numerous confusing orders barked, all the while LEOs had a guns pointed at him (with "You're fecked" inscribed on one weapon).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Like the man being told to crawl and keep his hands in various positions amongst numerous confusing orders barked, all the while LEOs had a guns pointed at him (with "You're fecked" inscribed on one weapon).
Didn’t end too well for him, if I recall correctly.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Yeah sorry about that. I just got annoyed that after all we’ve seen in the last few months, that people still come out parroting the line “But what happened before what we saw?” It’s infuriating.
Pretty sure this was regarding the now deleted posts of mine and another poster. But sure, It's your fault you dark humor bastard! :D

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
and another one. This is not looking good, especially since its so close to Minny where the Chauvin trial is taking place.
Cops get 2 for one on this one. They got to kill another unarmed black man and then got to beat and tear gas protestors, all in the same day!

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
and another one. This is not looking good, especially since its so close to Minny where the Chauvin trial is taking place.
Cops get 2 for one on this one. They got to kill another unarmed black man and then got to beat and tear gas protestors, all in the same day!

If this country isn’t careful, this could become routine.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Back the Blue vs. Support the Troops update

This one is easy, he is not the "right type" of troop for that crowd.

This is made perfectly clear when officer "ride the lightning" asks him if he is Corporal. The lack of respect is not an accident and even I know how to recognize rank insignia.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
We might have an early winner for the "Yeah, not shit Sherlock" statement of the year:

Sara125

Is this the one where the officer emptied the clip as soon as the guy reached down to pull his shorts up? It was mental!

Sara125

Back the Blue vs. Support the Troops update

Good to see. Very rare that swift action is taken against an officer (though I suspect the driver being a serviceman probably has something to do with it)

edit: Just seen that a complaint was filed before but the officer only got fired once the body can footage was released and it garnered media attention. Figures.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Shouldn't these videos be used as case examples of what NOT to do in Police training centres up and down America. They have enough examples.

Balljy

The document with the complaint on it says it was filed 4/2/21. Wouldn't this be 2nd of April in the US? If so it's not a huge amount of time until now for them to review the footage that was on the complaint and then fire the office based on that.

I'm not sure how it works though - I'm guessing they don't review footage until it is necessary to do so rather than have a procedure to review everything?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids

My initial reaction was I thought my Twitter trending topics was somehow a year behind this morning as I drowsily checked it. Hell...