Copa America 2015 | Tournament over, Eboue misses the final, everyone lols

Supports
Barcelona
He was okay against Colombia, but the point I'm making is that overall in his career the highest percentage of his poorest or least involved (ie. "invisible") performances have come when he was being managed by Martino, both at Barça and for Arg so far. I seem to remember Martino making comments to such an effect? Something along the lines of wanting Messi to save himself for the final third. Come on, it was noticeable back then (remember the games against Atléti?) and now as well that when Messi plays under Martino he often seems far less involved -- some games he still shone through (the 4-3 clásico & the Paraguay SF).
I am not disagreeing with you. Just that I think he was excellent against Colombia.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What has happened to Mascherano's head ? It's like he was kidnapped by aliens from the Planet Silvestre.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I wanted di Maria and Rojo to win but I'm rather happy now that Messi and Mascherano lost.

I have a friend who is a Messi and Barca fanboy. He would have been unbearable had they won.
This...

Messi still can't win anything without the Barca crew... :smirk: maybe Argentina should try wearing red and blue.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He should have forced it more... he was too static himself at times and at other times his team mates took the wrong option by ignoring him, but above all he himself should've tried to force it more than he did. I think at this stage it's worse to be "invisible" rather than "sloppy". Should have demanded the ball and come looking for it more, as under previous managers that was all Messi ever did, ask for the ball by dropping very deep, which caused other issues but at least he himself was always involved in the play. The one season Martino managed Messi at club level it was the same, with Messi being ignored by the team so often in bizarre fashion and not demanding or going looking for the ball. All I can think is that it's on Martino's orders. Apart from the Paraguay game I don't think Messi has ever looked worse than under Martino, both at club and NT level (even under Maradona he at least showed off his amazing dribbling capabilities).
R.e. Martino's orders being a possible reason for Messi being so quiet - not saying they are but after one of the games against Atlético he said something stupid like his plan was to use Messi as a decoy :lol:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I wanted di Maria and Rojo to win but I'm rather happy now that Messi and Mascherano lost.

I have a friend who is a Messi and Barca fanboy. He would have been unbearable had they won.
I have many friends like that on fb and needless to say they can be unbearable. I really didn't care about who won, I just wanted it to be a good final and the first half was good while the second and E.T completely poor.

rover

martino is about right on the interview after the game that both sides were there to neutralize the other.

but, what would be his plan for this game? prepared for penalty shootout? if not what he supposed to do to kill the game beforehand? i don't think he had one.

just take a look of the players with the current argentina squad:

messi, aquero, pastore, higuain, tevez, diMaria, mascherano, otamendi, rojo, zabaleta...etc

all are top tier players and there are some more sublime players very close to the level if not par. this is a very very strong national squad even you count it in all times history. if they don't deliver anything substantial this is really a big waste

martino may not be the problem of non-performing. but certainly he is no solution however

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Why would you give Higuain more time than Tevez ?
He's a better lone striker than Tevez is. Every time Tevez came on as the lone striker, he hasn't been influential and even ineffective on a few occasions. If Martino decided to put in Tevez with another striker (like he did in the very first match), then Tevez could be more influential.

NK86

Blantantly copied from some other group:

Messi: "When I die, I want Higuain to lower my body into the grave. So that mofo can let me down one last time."
:lol:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Congrats to Chile and specially Matias Fernandez. Was one of my favourite players at Sporting, class footballer, too bad he´s injury prone.

Will never forget his freekick against Manchester City :drool:

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Really entertaining final and a fairytale ending to boot. This was the first Copa America that I was able to follow on television and I've got to say I'm hooked.

Cal?

CR7 fan
so you took a pop at him. Thats really lame. I expect you to be quiet until the next chance where you can do it again..
I was more taking a pop at the Messi fans who can think nothing is ever his fault and always the manager/teammates/etc are to blame.

I've said before his Treble is enough to win him he Ballon D'or this season anyway. So I don't see how my comment can be viewed as a pop at HIM.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Couldn't care less if Messi had won the Copa or not, would have been happy for di Maria and Rojo though.

Anyway Bielsa and Sampaoli probably have God like status in Chile now (well Bielsa already had it, but now even more). Two Argentinians being the driving force behind years of great work with the Chilean national team which culminated in the historical Copa final win against Argentina. Football, eh?!

SteveW

I was more taking a pop at the Messi fans who can think nothing is ever his fault and always the manager/teammates/etc are to blame.

I've said before his Treble is enough to win him he Ballon D'or this season anyway. So I don't see how my comment can be viewed as a pop at HIM.
I always get the impression this is the trophy that you are most interested in each season. Do you support a team?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Next Summer is going to be mental - Euro 2016. Copa America 2016. Olympics 2016 :drool: Not forgetting the annual stuff like Wimbledon and the golf majors.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I always get the impression this is the trophy that you are most interested in each season. Do you support a team?
I'm a united fan more than I'm a football fan.

I'm not that interested in the Ballon D'or, just think it'd be an injustice if Messi finished his career with many more than Ronaldo, which could have been the case 2 years ago.

stevoc

Next Summer is going to be mental - Euro 2016. Copa America 2016. Olympics 2016 :drool: Not forgetting the annual stuff like Wimbledon and the golf majors.
Wait why is the Copa America being held again next year. I thought it was every 3-4 years.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Wait why is the Copa America being held again next year. I thought it was every 3-4 years.
It is. It's a one-off because 2016 will mark the 100th Anniversary of Copa América. Normal service will return in 2019, 2023, etc.

Mali_Zeus

So I don't see how my comment can be viewed as a pop at HIM.
This...

Messi still can't win anything without the Barca crew... :smirk: maybe Argentina should try wearing red and blue.
You know what you wrote and why you wrote it.
Even you said so yourself, you didnt visit this thread until Argentina lost the final, so you just had to bring your agenda here cause Messi is always compared to your favorite player.

stevoc

It is scheduled to take place in USA, however, there have been suggestions it may be cancelled.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...merica-centenario-in-the-usa-to-be-cancelled/

edit: as you say, it only takes place every 4 years, though next year marks the 100 year anniversary. Hence the first time it's being hosted outside of the normal regions.

It is. It's a one-off because 2016 will mark the 100th Anniversary of Copa América. Normal service will return in 2019, 2023, etc.
Ah right didn't know that thank guys. Interesting that it's being held outside SA.

If it's being held next year as a special event for the anniversary i do wonder couldn't they have just not held this years competition then and waited until next summer. Seems excessive to run it twice in 2 years, also means Chile will probably only be champions for a year.

Eila

This will probably make them smug cnuts but I'm happy for Chile. Some team they have.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Ah right didn't know that thank guys. Interesting that it's being held outside SA.

If it's being held next year as a special event for the anniversary i do wonder couldn't they have just not held this years competition then and waited until next summer. Seems excessive to run it twice in 2 years, also means Chile will probably only be champions for a year.
Nah, it's not a Copa América but a money-spinner called Centennial Cup. The winner won't be a Copa winner I think/hope. Chile should be champions until 2019, and obviously the continental reps at the confeds in 2017.