Copa America 2015 | Tournament over, Eboue misses the final, everyone lols

stevoc

Nah, it's not a Copa América but a money-spinner called Centennial Cup. The winner won't be a Copa winner I think/hope. Chile should be champions until 2019, and obviously the continental reps at the confeds in 2017.
Fair enough then, so the winners won't even be SA champions. You're right must be just a money spinner then for officials to line their pockets.

I foresee a lot of European based players at big clubs having sudden 'injuries' next summer then.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
thats good :)

just a little reminder to my chilean friends ;)

You forgot the Lost a Final to Chile Cup.

:lol:

In the meantime, us puny Uruguayans have the "Won Every World Cup Final against Argentina and Brazil Cup". It's much better ;)

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
You forgot the Lost a Final to Chile Cup.

:lol:

In the meantime, us puny Uruguayans have the "Won Every World Cup Final against Argentina and Brazil Cup". It's much better ;)
that was 100 years ago bro, move on.. :(

fontaine

lets be honest, copa america is close to irrelevant for brazil

plus it makes you play the damned confederations cup, 1 year less rest for your NT players, no one remembers when you win it also..

antohan

plus it makes you play the damned confederations cup, 1 year less rest for your NT players, no one remembers when you win it also..
If you said this in 2011, I'd sort of agree. You sure didn't bother much with it in your pomp back in the 60s.

After last Summer though, I don't think you can brush it off like that.

fontaine

If you said this in 2011, I'd sort of agree. You sure didn't bother much with it in your pomp back in the 60s.

After last Summer though, I don't think you can brush it off like that.
i just hate the confederations cup that much, that i rather not qualify
ii honestly feel like it hinders our world cup chances, which im dying to win again

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid

do you think it affects them to rest? Seeing as is Brazil I don´t think that can be wrong to spend some weeks to work together, especially when there are so many players in Europe

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
@fontaine There is really a problem with new talent in Brazil? The midfield selected for Copa América is very disappointing,and Robinho ? It is a decision based on hierarchy in the team ? I can not believe that there is nothing better in Brazil right now. Do you like Dunga?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Good explanation @fontaine . I was surprised when they chose Dunga.Even without knowing about him I could imagine that he would do a team as he was playing football,a panzer team,solid but without magic

fontaine

@fontaine There is really a problem with new talent in Brazil? The midfield selected for Copa América is very disappointing,and Robinho ? It is a decision based on hierarchy in the team ? I can not believe that there is nothing better in Brazil right now. Do you like Dunga?
There is a problem if you compare it with our past; but lets put it like this :

Brazil has more than enough talent to be playing better. Certainly not to receive 7 goals from Germany or struggling against Colombia, Peru and such.
We have two fullbacks from Barcelona, two fullbacks from Real Madrid. Miranda + Filipe Luis formed the best defense in Europe just one year ago. Silva is a top3 CB in the world arguably.

The center midfield is composed of a starter for Man City, a great team. Gustavo (who was injured for copa) was the starting DM for Bayern for a considerable time, we can agree he is at least competent. Then we have Willian and Oscar who were a big part in a very dominant Chelsea. Coutinho was voted POTY in Liverpool. Douglas Costa and Firmino were sold for fortunes (to Bayern and Lpool respectively). Neymar 40 goals this season + treble. We are lacking a world class striker, true (Diego Costa should be playing if not Scolari treating him like dog poo).

So, this leads us to coaching. Back in the day, our players were so overwhelmingly good, that we didn't need good strategies or teamplay, the coaches just treated the egos of the players. Ie : 2002 team had Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho (all ballon d'or winners), Cafu -R.Carlos, and good piano carriers like Lucio and Gilberto Silva. Heck, even a chimpanze could coach that team to a WC win.

Now we still have good players compared to the teams outside the top3, but since now we actually need teamplay and coaching to win, we are struggling. Capisce?

Trizy

What did Higuain do exactly? I see lots of blame and jokes about him ruining something for Messi.

Was literally on an island without any internet for the weekend so didn't catch any of it.

vodrake

What did Higuain do exactly? I see lots of blame and jokes about him ruining something for Messi.

Was literally on an island without any internet for the weekend so didn't catch any of it.
Missed a very good chance to win the game during normal time, then scored a field goal on a pitch 5 miles away with his penalty in the shootout, ending with Argentina losing.

Trizy

Missed a very good chance to win the game during normal time, then scored a field goal on a pitch 5 miles away with his penalty in the shootout, ending with Argentina losing.
Well blaming him is a bit much, especially since most the blame I've seen is coming from people not even from South American so never mind being from Argentina!

Football fans, eh?

antohan

Well blaming him is a bit much, especially since most the blame I've seen is coming from people not even from South American so never mind being from Argentina!

Football fans, eh?
I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt most Argies wish he had declared for France alll those years ago. Fed up with him. And those aren't the nutters, the nutters are calling for Messi's head.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
That chance looked decent but it was actually impossible for Higuain, or anyone else for that matter, to score from it. By the time he reached the ball the geometry was such that putting the ball into the side netting was the best possible result.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I enjoyed the blood and thunder type physicality and that the team's appeared to be playing to win, unlike the WC or European championship where finals are too often tedious chess matches.
I don't really have a problem with a more aggressive type of match and can find it enjoyable to a certain extent but I don't really agree with the bolded part. Sure, it wasn't a 'tedious chess match', but overall it was rather scrappy and the football played wasn't really convincing. It wasn't a high level final, and there were a lot of technical mistakes which didn't give it the feel of a continental final.

I hadn't been able to watch any games before (just one the first weekend) for this competition but I sat down in front of this one with quite a lot of enthusiasm as it was two teams that I felt could be entertaining, and I was really bored by the game. The high point of the game was Medel high kicking Messi which sums it up really.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I don't really have a problem with a more aggressive type of match and can find it enjoyable to a certain extent but I don't really agree with the bolded part. Sure, it wasn't a 'tedious chess match', but overall it was rather scrappy and the football played wasn't really convincing. It wasn't a high level final, and there were a lot of technical mistakes which didn't give it the feel of a continental final.

I hadn't been able to watch any games before (just one the first weekend) for this competition but I sat down in front of this one with quite a lot of enthusiasm as it was two teams that I felt could be entertaining, and I was really bored by the game. The high point of the game was Medel high kicking Messi which sums it up really.
That's what Copa America is all about. You stuffy Europeans just don't get it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Amazing he didn't get a yellow card for that.

antohan

That chance looked decent but it was actually impossible for Higuain, or anyone else for that matter, to score from it. By the time he reached the ball the geometry was such that putting the ball into the side netting was the best possible result.
He should have launched himself feet first a lot earlier to meet the ball at a good angle, he was never going to reach it and have the angle for a tap-in.

antohan

In other news, Alcoholics Anonymous has congratulated Argentina on another year without having a cup.

fontaine

something I didn't know

12 out the 14 copa americas argentina have were won before 1958.. most of them came in the 20s and 40s.. since then only 2 titles