Coronation thread

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I was reading in The Guardian over the weekend that Chas and Archbishop Welby (CoE) have between themselves devised a new Coronation Prayer to humbly obey -

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...tical-powers-so-much-for-a-secular-coronation

Anyone up for that?
It is not as egregious or ridiculous as the fact Charles is King of Jamaica.

If you were to become a Jamaican citizen you would have to swear due allegiance to him and his family, who just happen to have become fabulously wealthy off the slave trade to ... Jamaica, as well as many other 'realms'.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

If you were to become a Jamaican citizen you would have to swear due allegiance to him and his family, who just happen to have become fabulously wealthy off the slave trade to ... Jamaica, as well as many other 'realms'.
Royalty and irony are like oil and water. Closely associated but never do the 2 actually mix.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff

And for the Royalists who usually say "It is just symbolic" and "It works well so why change?" I give you https://www.nma.gov.au/defining-moments/resources/whitlam-dismissal

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal

I believe you. I think it's egregious that he is called a King and every single facet that goes along with the £Millions/Billions the UK tax payer has given him and his family. I am sorry that as a country and people that we benefitted from the harm we have done to those who became slaves and their descendants, it is way past time the Royals apologised but they are terrified that they will have to pay damages at some point down the road. I'm in favour of them giving up every penny they hold to pay reparations to those families whose people had their lives stolen.

However, I'm talking about our relationship in this country now with the descendants of these robber-barons and how it should be brought to an end, they should be left penniless and any money they make above minimum wage should be further donated to the Commonwealth's people.

I truly am sorry for the harm that was done to all slaves and their following families though but we need to bring them down first.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Really enjoying the acid attack story line at present as its good to highlight the increase in these incidents and to see it through the lens of the victim. Ryan's done a great job of performing the role in recent weeks.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
In the main, the Royals are greedy people with reprehensible private lives. Worse than that, Charles's great-uncle was a pervert collaborator who told the Nazis to bomb England into submission (just so he could be re-installed as King).

ShinjiNinja26

In the main, the Royals are greedy people with reprehensible private lives. Worse than that, Charles's great-uncle was a pervert collaborator who told the Nazis to bomb England into submission (just so he could be re-installed as King).
I was just gonna say “cnuts” but you’ve summed it up much better. :)

They can feck off and take all their flag shagging worshippers with them!

oates

Scout
Supports
Arsenal

Bert_

We are less than a week away from another expensive spectacle of pompous pageantry to be held in the UK during a cost of living crisis where families struggle to put food on the table. Just like times of old.

In that tradition, the commoners have been asked to swear unconditional fealty to their feudal overlord.

Public asked to swear allegiance to King Charles
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65435426
People watching the Coronation will be invited to join a "chorus of millions" to swear allegiance to the King and his heirs, organisers say...

What do you think of this 1000 year old tradition? Is it still relevant in todays society were there are few dynastic disputes and civil wars between rival factions claiming the throne? Could you be charged for treason if you don't swear allegiance in front of your TV?

We get an extra day off work though so does anyone give a shit either way?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
i hope they’ll send a policeman round to every house and arrest anyone who either refuses to pledge or pledges in a manner that the policeman expects to be false.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
It's true, it's being called the Homage of the People. It's hideous, isn't it?
How will they enact it, in what arena? I wouldn’t be able to bring myself to say that at gunpoint!

Edit: Just googled it over a coffee. Dear me, I can’t see there being much uptake.

Last edited:

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
how is one boy’s lack of foresight tied in to the wonderful coronation? he should have just been born into a wealthier family. youngsters nowadays just want everything handed to them on a plate.

Eric_the_Red99

Rather Charles III than a President Johnson
That’s your opinion - but the thing is your opinion doesn’t matter at all in relation to the former, but you would get to have a say on the latter. That’s the great thing about democracy.

And if we were to become a republic, it’s unlikely we’d adopt the strong president model of France or the USA anyway. It’d make far more sense to switch to a weak president system like Germany.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
When they get to Charles the fifth they should do 4 lines then a 5th through it like a tally. Mix it up a bit.