Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Prodigal7

Found someone posting this a few days ago which really made me chuckle:

Day 2 without sports:

Found a young lady sitting on my couch yesterday. Apparently she’s my wife. She seems nice.

TheReligion

Abusive
I take it you didn't see the game where Liverpool's youth team beat the Everton first team this season then? Players like Henderson and Gomez obviously didn't come through Liverpool's youth team but have developed from good youth prospects in to first choice players in a Champions League winning side.
So basically your team is nothing like what United did. As I said TAA is your only first team youth developed player.

Why talk shit?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The one saying the season will resume on April 30th?

I'm not sure anyone at the FA is even qualified to make that statement, especially since health officials are saying the effects of this virus could last up to 18 months.
The one from Downing Street. They seem to be preparing that this is going to go on for months and months.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
19 is too much.
If this season were to go ahead, the Cup ties have to be a single round (including CL and Europa) neutral venue affair (from next round onwards).
Not going to happen.
Wouldnt that still mean 13 games if successful? Still doesnt take away from needing to get started by July. At the moment its not impossible, but any delay at all would seriously impact that schedule.
Don't think so, would knock 3 games off?

Way too many to play in a "few weeks" as some say is feasible.

If games could be started May, could do in a couple of months... maybe (and avoid contract issues). But a huge if/maybe and anything later causes issues and still need clubs/associations to all agree.

Judas

Open to offers
I can see them cancelling next season to finish this one.
I think the certain parts of the media would happily see that happen so plucky underdogs Liverpool can achieve their destiny and be crowned the champions of the most exhilarating and exciting drama packed season in the history of mankind.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Now that'd be totally pointless surely.

Unless it takes a year to get these last 2months played! Then 2020-21 has naturally disappeared.

Fridge chutney

Very worrying and it is clearly prevalent in football. Football is done for the season.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The one from Downing Street. They seem to be preparing that this is going to go on for months and months.
Oh, I haven't seen that one yet.

To be honest, I can deal with it going on for months, it's the years part that some are predicting that worries me.

AFC NimbleThumb

Very worrying and it is clearly prevalent in football. Football is done for the season.

Concerned by the fact a professional athlete is sayings it’s taken it’s toll on him - I’m in the shape of my life but nowhere near professional athlete and have considered myself somewhat bulletproof to this. “young people bounce back” etc. These comments really concern me.

Member 101269

Concerned by the fact a professional athlete is sayings it’s taken it’s toll on him - I’m in the shape of my life but nowhere near professional athlete and have considered myself somewhat bulletproof to this. “young people bounce back” etc. These comments really concern me.
Yes, I’m not that fit. Some think we’re ready to start the league in 4 weeks.. unbelievable

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
That is scary to read. But professional athletes (long distance runners especially) are known to have weaker immune systems than normal fit folk. Of course, that does put footballers at additional risk which ironically means they need isolation more than us.

edcunited1878

He recovered from the virus/illness, but it seems like it did hit him within 3 to 5 after initial contact/incubation period. Need to go into more detail around his recovery and what he did or was advised to do.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
That is scary to read. But professional athletes (long distance runners especially) are known to have weaker immune systems than normal fit folk. Of course, that does put footballers at additional risk which ironically means they need isolation more than us.
Shows what I know. I would've assumed they're at the peak of the powers. Why so?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Shows what I know. I would've assumed they're at the peak of the powers. Why so?
Here's an excerpt I quickly googled. Covers it quite well:

There is a relationship between the intensity and duration of runs and immune function. Moderately intense workouts tend to strengthen the immune system. For most people, this means an hour run at a steady pace. Running 10 miles or more or running to exhaustion can actually temporarilyweaken the immune system. This impairment of immune function generally lasts only a few hours, although for some people, especially those with an already weakened immune system, it may take several days. What has been observed is that marathon runners are up to six times more likely to get the common cold after a race.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It's a myth which has been debunked by many studies. Generally though, the more "game-ready" you are as a top athlete, the more susceptible you are to fairly innocent diseases. A common saying in Belgium for cyclists is, if you're good, you're always a bit sick one way or another.

swred

A family member works in a local hospital and says on the front line, it’s very real and people should be incredibly worried.
They have said the containment plans the government is now a dividing (restaurants/pubs etc.) have come 3 weeks too late & that we won’t see a change in the numbers going up for a number of weeks.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Makes sense to make sure footballers get as much possible protection from it then doesn't it? Not sure a festival of football or games behind closed doors are sensible options for the near future.

Redcy

Its intense training that does it. I understand that wasn't disproven and that its only a temporary effect anyway, but doing a high intensity training workout puts your body under strain that it needs to recover from, whilst that happens your immune system is "weaker". Generally though the training makes you fitter. In athletes who are performing all the time they are often in a state of potential "exposure". My daughter is a competitive swimmer and she often suffers from minor colds, more so than her friends. She is as fit as anything though and destroys me physically andI train 4 times a week in HIT.

Ludens the Red

I don’t think it effects footballers as much because they don’t do intense physical workouts as much unless they’re being managed by Felix Magath. Runners etc yeah probably.

Mate, don’t go working yourself up, loads of footballers have had it and have had barely any symptoms. Charlie Austin is the exception as far as I’m aware. With all due respect to Charlie Austin he was out at Cheltenham during the corona virus period when clubs were telling players to be careful and avoid contact with others. He also has history of poor fitness. And now he’s “warning us”. Bellend...

Fridge chutney

Mate, don’t go working yourself up, loads of footballers have had it and have had barely any symptoms. Charlie Austin is the exception as far as I’m aware. With all due respect to Charlie Austin he was out at Cheltenham during the corona virus period when clubs were telling players to be careful and avoid contact with others. He also has history of poor fitness. And now he’s “warning us”. Bellend...
I'm not "working myself up" because of Austin, I'm concerned because if you look at a subset population that has greater access to testing, such as the football community, infection rates seem high compared to the general population, which indicates that this disease is spreading to a degree that is much higher than reported.

What truly concerns me is that doctors, including ones I know working on the front lines, are telling us that this is much worse than we understand.

Last edited:

Ludens the Red

I'm not "working myself up" because of Austin, I'm concerned because if you look at a subset of a population that has greater access to testing, such as the football community, infection rates seem high compared to the general population, which indicates that this disease is spreading to a degree that is much higher than reported.

What truly concerns me is that doctors, including ones I know working on the front lines, are telling us that this is much worse than we understand.
Well yeah lots of people are going to get infected including footballers, that’s surely a given now. I don’t think the numbers of footballers getting infected are worryingly high, Arteta got it and no one else at Arsenal had it. Hudson Odoi too and nobody at Chelsea had it. That’s actually quite remarkable when you think about it and it tells you they can get it from outside of football. Your post does read a little bit flappy to be honest. Footballers aren’t gonna be immune to it, but I’d be amazed if any of them got seriously ill from it. Apart from the likes of Charlie Austin.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It depends how long will this epidemic last. If it last until midway through next season, they will probably cancel the next season to finish this one.

Strelok

From the BBC:

The Liverpool football anthem You'll Never Walk Alone was broadcast by 180 radio stations across Europe this morning, including Slovenia's Val 202.

It's a defiant message of solidarity, as millions are cooped up at home in the coronavirus crisis.

But the BBC's Balkans correspondent ,Guy De Launey, says Slovenia has just told people officially that they should walk alone if they go outside, to avoid spreading the virus.

This made me laugh!
:lol:

Fridge chutney

Well yeah lots of people are going to get infected including footballers, that’s surely a given now. I don’t think the numbers of footballers getting infected are worryingly high, Arteta got it and no one else at Arsenal had it. Hudson Odoi too and nobody at Chelsea had it. That’s actually quite remarkable when you think about it and it tells you they can get it from outside of football. Your post does read a little bit flappy to be honest. Footballers aren’t gonna be immune to it, but I’d be amazed if any of them got seriously ill from it. Apart from the likes of Charlie Austin.
I'm sure you'll be "amazed" at a lot of things. Charlie Austin is warning people not to take this disease lightly, and one of the many myths that doctors are trying to dispel is that this disease is not only dangerous for older people, but it can also be very dangerous for younger adults aged 20-44. I urge you to listen to podcasts from doctors in Italy as well as experts in epidemiology.

As an aside, 35% of Valencia FC squad and staff have it, which is precisely the reason why all football must be suspended indefinitely and an infection rate of 35% is very concerning by any measure, even if it is only reflective of greater access to testing. I dread to think what's going to happen to the UK soon given the pathetic and lackadaisical response to the pandemic by the British population and government.

Regarding the "flakiness" of my post, I don't give a shit, frankly. People should listen to Austin and stop burying their fecking heads in the sand.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Fridge chutney

Another well-researched and informative article.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Summary of the article: Strong coronavirus measures today should only last a few weeks, there shouldn’t be a big peak of infections afterwards, and it can all be done for a reasonable cost to society, saving millions of lives along the way. If we don’t take these measures, tens of millions will be infected, many will die, along with anybody else that requires intensive care, because the healthcare system will have collapsed.

Redcy

It depends how long will this epidemic last. If it last until midway through next season, they will probably cancel the next season to finish this one.
If it lasts that long there won't be the clubs to finish the season, the whole thing will be rendered frankly mute at that point, with many going bankrupt, even given the measures announced.

Any idea that this will be over in a few weeks and football returns should be forgotten too. With players unable to train properly I would also not expect to see an immediate return to playing. If this is not cleared up by June, then authorities will have to make a big decision, even then I am not sure that would be soon enough. I think for the whole set of leagues to be back in any shape to play competitive football we would need at least 4 weeks once they can return to full training. I really don't see the FA and lower leagues agreeing to change next season to finish this. I think financially they cannot.

Right now the fact that the gov is offering 80% of wages tells me they expect things to go pretty badly.

Ludens the Red

I'm sure you'll be "amazed" at a lot of things. Charlie Austin is warning people not to take this disease lightly, and one of the many myths that doctors are trying to dispel is that this disease is not only dangerous for older people, but it can also be very dangerous for younger adults aged 20-44. I urge you to listen to podcasts from doctors in Italy as well as experts in epidemiology.

As an aside, 35% of Valencia FC squad and staff have it, which is precisely the reason why all football must be suspended indefinitely and an infection rate of 35% is very concerning by any measure, even if it is only reflective of greater access to testing. I dread to think what's going to happen to the UK soon given the pathetic and lackadaisical response to the pandemic by the British population and government.

Regarding the "flakiness" of my post, I don't give a shit, frankly. People should listen to Austin and stop burying their fecking heads in the sand.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Yeah I won’t be listening to Charlie Austin to be fair. This a footballer who was advised by his club to train at home and not come into contact with large amounts of people and so he went to Cheltenham festival. Not sure this is the guy who should be dishing out advice. This would be like me deliberately putting my hand in an oven and then posting on social media warning people to not put their hands in an oven.

I don’t think that’s a myth, it’s a fact that it effects the elderly and sick a significant amount more. Obviously people of all ages are at risk but to suggest the risk is the same for everyone is just not true really. It’s a bit selective of you to touch on all the Valencia staff being infected but seemingly ignore the fact they’ve said they’re all asymptomatic.

Erm football has already long been suspended indefinitely, a majority of people in the uk have already long since been panicking (see the empty stores) and hiding away in their homes, essential shops have now been shut. A small minority going to pubs doesn’t equate to British people “not taking it seriously” or “burying their heads in the sand”. You can always find a narrative and what you want to see on the internet, a lot of the time it isn’t the reality.
I think people have taken this seriously for probably the same amount of time you have and that should be remembered.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Alright, 117 pages, jeez. Can anyone summarize what's the most likely scenario right now?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I've tried to warn all my friends who smoke cigarettes and shisha to just stop in order to clear their lungs as much as possible. This disease, although statistically more focused on a category of people, can be pretty nasty as many cases show young and seemingly healthy people suffer from it, die from it. Stats are one thing and reality is another indeed.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Sky News just had an immunologist explain why Covid-19 affects people in such drastically different ways. She said it’s essentially because of individuals immunity genes and it’s the same reason why some people get colds often and others, sometimes in close proximity, don’t.
This difference in immunity is vital to the survival of the human race. If we all had the same type of immune system then potentially a single infectious disease could wipe out the entire planet.

It was a short interview and I would have liked to have heard if there was some way of knowing how susceptible individuals were. People with compromised immune systems due to underlying health conditions and/or because they take immunosuppressants due to organ transplants have been identified as high risk but there will be other individuals including young healthy people who will be at risk because of their immunity genes.

I wish people who don’t seem to grasp the severity of the situation and have not been enacting social distancing measures could have seen this interview.