Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Will be carnage in the lower leagues for sure, they desperately need gate money.

Can see another lockdown in November-December so that would be the end of 20-21 season, if it actually has started by then.
I wonder if crowds will be brought back gradually.

For example, after a while (I've fully made peace with the rest of this season is BCD) start with one person (or family) every 6 or so seats then slowly build from there.

hmchan

I wonder if crowds will be brought back gradually.

For example, after a while (I've fully made peace with the rest of this season is BCD) start with one person (or family) every 6 or so seats then slowly build from there.
It's possible but I personally don't think it's meaningful. The point of social distancing is to avoid gathering and keep people apart.

In your suggestion, although seats are left empty between fans during the game, it's unavoidable that they would be crowded before and after the game. It's impossible to keep them apart when they enter or leave the stadium, or when they travel to the stadium on the tube. 10% of Old Trafford attendance is still 7000+, so there's actually no much different between a full crowd or a diminished crowd.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Cyprus is considering an interesting rule change when the championship reopens there: to allow 5 substitutions per game (2 in the first half, 3 in the second).

I think it's a brilliant idea - players will be out of form and injury-prone, this way teams can protect players better (esp. if there are more games) and also give more playing time to more players, letting everybody catch-up quicker.

Honestly, if they try to pack too many games in short period of time, I'd even consider 7 subs per game. In addition to protecting the players, I think it will actually be interesting to watch how this alters tactics. Who knows - maybe we like it enough to keep the rule, even next season.

P.S. obviously it will give some advantage to teams like City since they have a lot of capable subs, but - oh well.

Cyprus is considering an interesting rule change when the championship reopens there: to allow 5 substitutions per game (2 in the first half, 3 in the second).

I think it's a brilliant idea - players will be out of form and injury-prone, this way teams can protect players better (esp. if there are more games) and also give more playing time to more players, letting everybody catch-up quicker.

Honestly, if they try to pack too many games in short period of time, I'd even consider 7 subs per game. In addition to protecting the players, I think it will actually be interesting to watch how this alters tactics. Who knows - maybe we like it enough to keep the rule, even next season.

P.S. obviously it will give some advantage to teams like City since they have a lot of capable subs, but - oh well.
7 subs per game!

there is nothing wrong with thinking creatively and flexibly so that we can get out of this crisis. However, I think changing the number of subs 3/4 through the season would make a mockery of the games that are left, and just turn them into pre season games or international friendlies - it would render games pointless and would be a very poor spectacle.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm very likely playing dumb here, but what might this do that can be meaningful? Limit any risk of spread to one location keeping all players in North London for the period of their fixtures?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
7 subs per game!

there is nothing wrong with thinking creatively and flexibly so that we can get out of this crisis. However, I think changing the number of subs 3/4 through the season would make a mockery of the games that are left, and just turn them into pre season games or international friendlies - it would render games pointless and would be a very poor spectacle.
Yes, but if they are talking about 3 games per week, for 3-4 or more weeks, with out of form players - something extraordinary seems necessary

Member 101269

I'm very likely playing dumb here, but what might this do that can be meaningful? Limit any risk of spread to one location keeping all players in North London for the period of their fixtures?
It could be based on linear thinking of NHS resources. e.g. 15 nhs staff at one time point. rather than 15 * x games at the say time point. assuming the same 15 continue for multiple matches.

If so, they forget lag is time, location issues, measure of match time is largely equal, not forgetting increased costs etc etc.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Makes the game feel even more soulless with a much bigger empty stadium?

Revaulx

As far as I can see the only meaningful thing it would achieve would be to provide income to the FA.

TheReligion

Abusive
Using Wembley to host four games per day sounds silly. The pitch would be destroyed. Also don't see how using St Georges to hold all PL clubs to avoid traveling helps matters? It just causes a huge amount of people to be in one place.

London is the most affected area in the UK too.

LVGSdive

Germany is dealing with the outbreak much better than us, so its no wonder they're ahead of us with footballers returning to training. The level of testing is ten times more than here.
Germany plans things out. We just wait for the inevitable to happen then panic.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Using Wembley to host four games per day sounds silly. The pitch would be destroyed. Also don't see how using St Georges to hold all PL clubs to avoid traveling helps matters? It just causes a huge amount of people to be in one place.

Don't necessarily disagree with any of that, but each solution that they're gonna propose to finish the season will have obvious downsides. There won't be any scenario where everyone goes "ah yeah, that's a good idea and seems reasonable" because it would've been suggested long ago otherwise if it existed imo.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
I think we will see restrictions lifted by mid May, then soccer behind closed doors for a few weeks in a mad rush to end the season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

I think everyone realises for this to work it will have to be world cup style.

For that every team has their own base and hotel so isolated from general public (well that's what England always try to do). 7 games in four weeks plus a friendly or two just before the tournament starts so fits in with same timeline for the summer given most teams have 9 games left to play (think the FA cup will be scrapped for this season).

I assume St Georges Park has a few hotels on site given the money they spent so can see that being an option for us, Wolves and Sheffield United. That is three fixtures that still have to be played.

It's not ideal. I'd still prefer to play the BCD games on the home grounds just to get some sort of semi normality feel back.

Seems they're banking on middle of May restart date for training. Another lockdown is near certainty but that will elapse by that date.

Josh 76

Don't necessarily disagree with any of that, but each solution that they're gonna propose to finish the season will have obvious downsides. There won't be any scenario where everyone goes "ah yeah, that's a good idea and seems reasonable" because it would've been suggested long ago otherwise if it existed imo.
This

Cloud7

I don't think I've ever actually watched a BCD match. Seems like it would be quite weird.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I don't think I've ever actually watched a BCD match. Seems like it would be quite weird.
Since they ruined the lower league cup by letting premier teams have their u21s in it most fans boycot it. Meaning most games in it are along the lines of bcd. They look utterly dreadful and almost testimonial or friendly material.

A long period of this sort of football is close to a waste of time for anything but tidying up the loose ends. Itd be one thing finishing up a season like that, but to purposely start a season on that premise seems pointless.

How do most of the clubs deal with getting no gate income? Outside the premier league that is still a huge amount of their income.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
they don’t.
At the moment they're getting payments that they were due in the future. So they can cope if this is a few months thing.
But if there's no 2020/21 or worse still the BCD thing, then it'll take huge FA bailouts.

Snafu17

If there's a choice between BCD football and no football for an absurd amount of time, then taking the first option is the only sensible course of action.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Boggles my mind listening to some of you - it's as if the world is over, all doom and gloom and that we won't get back to opening the economy (football being a big part of that) soon (by july).
Nah man, the doom and gloom seemingly only applies to United.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
https://www.football-italia.net/152094/report-serie-end-august

Looks like league may end in August. Serie A are definitely looking to push the schedule of returning to training on May 4th (Italy government extended restrictions until May 3rd so assumption is that training can resume after that), with the season resuming on May 30th.

Brescia have stated they will not play any more games. It probably won't much difference given they will get relegated, but I wonder if any other teams will follow that pattern, or if Brescia will even follow through on it. If they do, I'm guessing each of their opponents will get a 3-0 win against them.

Reactions: Penna

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes

BCD still means half the stadium will be filled with other cnuts. It'll be like a giant bowl of bat soup fs.

At least the Scousers would get to play at Wembley.

Redcy

At the moment they're getting payments that they were due in the future. So they can cope if this is a few months thing.
But if there's no 2020/21 or worse still the BCD thing, then it'll take huge FA bailouts.
Yeah, I mean if it’s bcd. I’m assuming there must be about 400 games across all leagues at efl level?

I doubt they could provide enough cash? I would guess to get anywhere near You would be talking about 100k to 200k per game?

Redcy

If there's a choice between BCD football and no football for an absurd amount of time, then taking the first option is the only sensible course of action.
Might arguably make more sense not to play at efl level. It would cost more to put games on at that level than just giving clubs the cash to stay alive.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah, I mean if it’s bcd. I’m assuming there must be about 400 games across all leagues at efl level?

I doubt they could provide enough cash? I would guess to get anywhere near You would be talking about 100k to 200k per game?
That's probably a bit high even as an average.
Sunderland might be way more but most league one and two clubs way less.

Accrington get gates of about 1500. Even if that was £20 each that's only 30k

TheReligion

Abusive
Are you on drugs or what ? You keep spouting this shit about us being on a downward trend yet I can't see that at the moment. It is always In this thread as well so you are either a Liverpool fan longing for the season to restart or you are some sort of lunatic.
:lol:

Redcy

That's probably a bit high even as an average.
Sunderland might be way more but most league one and two clubs way less.

Accrington get gates of about 1500. Even if that was £20 each that's only 30k
I didnt look at the bottom attendances. Accrington stanley get about 3000 average.

total attendance across the 3 leagues last year was about 16 million. So I am guessing we are talking 4m missing on attendance at an average of 20 quid a ticket.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Just read a bit on Germany. Seems they're already testing the squads back in training every 2-3 days. Talk some players are donating their blood to University research groups for wider social pay off.

240 people in total for BCD games, starting on May 9th. Problem is lack of contact training so some clubs pushing for later date for restart.