Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Member 101269

If there's a choice between BCD football and no football for an absurd amount of time, then taking the first option is the only sensible course of action.

The self pleasuring option..

No thanks

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I didnt look at the bottom attendances. Accrington stanley get about 3000 average.

total attendance across the 3 leagues last year was about 16 million. So I am guessing we are talking 4m missing on attendance at an average of 20 quid a ticket.
Surprised to see Accy have moved up to that. I suppose that's the league one benefit.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Germany compared to England (where the Premier League is)

Dreadful when it's laid out like that.

It's the having notice and the chance to learn from other countries experiences and still having he highest numbers in Europe that's terrible.
Although we do have higher density, which is surely a highly key aspect.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

It's the having notice and the chance to learn from other countries experiences and still having he highest numbers in Europe that's terrible.
Maybe a mix of having stuff ready, some decisions, some fortune and country demographics/geography (no equivalent city to London/NY).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...low-coronavirus-mortality-rate-heres-why.html

Ludens the Red

Yep , BCD is a bad idea , no fans no football.

Thats what its all about
Mad really, that’s essentially gonna be our last league game in front of a crowd for some time. Kind of fitting it was against them and we won it in that fashion. On a weird personal note, the palace home game was the only united game I went to in about three years and then I randomly decided to do Derby away and City at home. Really glad I did now.

https://www.football-italia.net/152094/report-serie-end-august

Looks like league may end in August. Serie A are definitely looking to push the schedule of returning to training on May 4th (Italy government extended restrictions until May 3rd so assumption is that training can resume after that), with the season resuming on May 30th.

Brescia have stated they will not play any more games. It probably won't much difference given they will get relegated, but I wonder if any other teams will follow that pattern, or if Brescia will even follow through on it. If they do, I'm guessing each of their opponents will get a 3-0 win against them.
Yeah Cellino (Brescia owner) has been pushing it a while hasn’t he, due to his “concerns”, whether thats genuine? I’m
not so sure knowing his track record . He spent a few years at Leeds and it was easy to tell he was a cnut of gigantic proportions. Not to mention his previous fraud and embezzlement charges. Difficult to believe someone like him and I don’t. He immediately seemed to want the league voided whereas everyone else was trying to find ways to complete.

Last edited:

Andi Latte

Yeah Cellino (Brescia owner) has been pushing it a while hasn’t he, due to his “concerns”, whether thats genuine? I’m
not so sure knowing his track record . He spent a few years at Leeds and it was easy to tell he was a cnut of gigantic proportions. Not to mention his previous fraud and embezzlement charges. Difficult to believe someone like him and I don’t. He immediately seemed to want the league voided whereas everyone else was trying to find ways to complete.
To be fair, Brescia is one of the cities which were hit hardest by the virus, accounting for 58% of Italy's death toll at the start of April.

So I can see some reasoning behind that stance, if only for it being poor taste to play football so soon after death counts like these. But yeah, the guy seems to be a major cnut nonetheless.

TheLord

It is such a sad tweet.

You have to stand and applaud the astonishing efficiency of the entire German machinery. That makes a mockery of the UK system, which has under-spent on health services, research, and development for decades. The German have already tested over 1.3 million people; in contrast, the UK has barely managed 300,000, despite having nearly four times as many deaths and possibly, several times the number of (actual) infections! This is a pathetic state of affairs.

The politicians keep feeding us bullshit each morning as piles of dead bodies keep mounting by day's end. Over 700 people died in the UK yesterday - the highest in Europe - and we are still nowhere near the plateau of the epidemic. The front-line NHS workers do not have adequate personal protective equipment to fight against the virus and are dying in droves, like soldiers in battlefields who have no guns and armour. Shockingly, the politicians keep feeding us the same bullshit each morning. To prevent public outrage, the government is concealing health-data of front-line workers, their lack of access to necessary equipment, and the crippling state of many fatigued and outdated British hospitals. The problem is systemic and not just with one party or one leader and I am sure things would be the same had it been any other government instead. There are not enough PPEs, not enough testing kits, not enough surveillance mechanisms, not enough isolation wards, not enough ICU beds, not enough ventilators, not enough critical-care drugs, not enough oxygen, not enough infection-free doctors and nurses, not enough food for the needy, not enough burial sites. Wow - that is the typical picture of an underdeveloped country in South Asia or Africa ravaged by years of war and famine and disease. The state of affairs in the UK is nothing short of shambolic !

But we have a bad memory, a really bad one. When this virus disappears in 3 to 4 months (hopefully), the vast majority of us will be busy drinking beer in pubs and wine in our houses arguing for hours at a stretch whether Neymar’s histrionics @ £150 million is a better deal than Kane’s at £120 million, or if Mino Raiola's cut of £41 million for the Pogba transfer was £20 million too many. I am tired of feeding this endless loop of super-elitist farce that modern football has become, when the focus should clearly be elsewhere.

I know I am daydreaming, but I hope this virus is a catalyst for the bubble of “modern” football to burst and I get back my football of old.

Last edited:

TheLord

They drink more. Alcohol kill virus.
I hope that was intended to be funny.

(For general information, I urge everyone to search “WHO + alcohol + Covid-19” in their google search engine and read up the first pdf document that shows up. Alternatively: The Link.)

ariveded

Given, players are now out of touch and they will need a proper pre-season and full training. Why not have the internationals competitions including Euros, AFCON, later this year? Resume training from July and start Euros in Sept, following by regular WC qualifying international matches. That will mean less exposure publicly and give more for normalcy to return.

And continue with EPL 2019/2020, from Jan 2021. Thus, making it EPL 2019-2021.

Furious George

Given, players are now out of touch and they will need a proper pre-season and full training. Why not have the internationals competitions including Euros, AFCON, later this year? Resume training from July and start Euros in Sept, following by regular WC qualifying international matches. That will mean less exposure publicly and give more for normalcy to return.

And continue with EPL 2019/2020, from Jan 2021. Thus, making it EPL 2019-2021.
I don't care for international football so it offers me nothing.

Come back with a more enticing offer.

Snafu17

The self pleasuring option..

No thanks
What are you talking about? How is this the self pleasuring option?

The football industry is dependent on football being played. The only real way for the vast majority of clubs to generate enough income to be able to survive is by playing football. TV companies and sponsors won't give up any money if there's no football played.

We would all like full packed stadiums to return and I'm sure they will be back as soon as possible. Problem is there's almost certainly going to a huge a gap between the viability of playing football BCD or playing it in front of large crowds. Stopping football for what could be more than a year is a demonstrably terrible idea. Hell, nevermind the whole financial suicide thing, who knows how the players will be affected by such a long pause.

The whole "the only way to play play football is with large crowds" narrative is bullshit. There's plenty of levels where matches are played with a significant smaller attendance and they are no less "soulful" than the EPL. Sure, it's going to be weird, watching empty stadiums, but the alternative is horrible.

If anything insisting that matches should only be played at full capacity, because that's the only experience you feel satisfied with, is the more self pleasuring option.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas

It would be better tweeted by someone who wasn’t whining about the media coverage triggering his anxiety only a month ago and how they shouldn’t be making such a big deal of it, though.

Tel074

I'm not British and I'm thankful for that at times like these . I've read alot of doctors and nurses have been saying don't clap for us just please stop voting for the Tories . The Tories have been wrecking the NHS for decades and now people seem suprised Germany have dealt with this virus better .

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!

The football industry is dependent on football being played. The only real way for the vast majority of clubs to generate enough income to be able to survive is by playing football. TV companies and sponsors won't give up any money if there's no football played.

We would all like full packed stadiums to return and I'm sure they will be back as soon as possible. Problem is there's almost certainly going to a huge a gap between the viability of playing football BCD or playing it in front of large crowds. Stopping football for what could be more than a year is a demonstrably terrible idea. Hell, nevermind the whole financial suicide thing, who knows how the players will be affected by such a long pause.

The whole "the only way to play play football is with large crowds" narrative is bullshit. There's plenty of levels where matches are played with a significant smaller attendance and they are no less "soulful" than the EPL. Sure, it's going to be weird, watching empty stadiums, but the alternative is horrible.

If anything insisting that matches should only be played at full capacity, because that's the only experience you feel satisfied with, is the more self pleasuring option.

So no longer any home advantage for teams because they don't have their crowd of supporters pushing them on.

This is already not fair on the HOME teams!

Redcy

Trouble is that BCD only works for the PL. In the EFL they generate huge amounts of their income from gate receipts and TV money/sponsors can never replace it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Or maybe because Germans are a bunch of healthier people, in general?
It is such a sad tweet.

You have to stand and applaud the astonishing efficiency of the entire German machinery. That makes a mockery of the UK system which has underspent on health services, research and development for decades. The German have already tested over 1.3 million people; in contrast, the UK has barely managed 300,000 tests. And so few tests despite the UK having nearly four times as many deaths and possibly several times the number of (actual) infections compared with Germany ! Pathetic state of affairs. The politicians keep feeding us bullshit each morning as piles of lost bodies keep mounting by day's end - 717 people died in the UK yesterday (the highest in Europe) and we are nowhere near the epidemic plateau. The front-line NHS workers do not have adequate personal protective equipment (PPE) to fight against the virus; they are dying in droves - like soldiers in battlefields without guns and armour - and the politicians keep feeding us bullshit every morning. The government is deliberately concealing data regarding the health of front-line health care workers, their lack of access to treating resouces and the crippling state of many fatigued and outdated hospitals to avoid public outrage of unprecedented proportions. I am sure this would be the same had it been any other government instead - the problem is systemic and not just with one party or one leader. There is not enough PPE, not enough testing kits, not enough surveillance mechanism, not enough isolation wards, not enough ICU beds, not enough ventilators, not enough critical-care drugs, not even enough oxygen, not enough infection-free doctors and nurses, not enough food for the needy, not enough burial sites. Wow - that is the typical picture of an underdeveloped country in South Asia or Africa. Shambolic state of affairs in the UK!

But we have a bad memory, a really bad one. When this virus disappears in 3-4 months (hopefully), the vast majority of us will be busy drinking beer in pubs and wine in our houses arguing for hours and hours whether Neymar’s histrionics @ £150 million is a better deal than Kane’s at £120 million, or if Mino Raiola's cut of £41 million for the Pogba transfer was £20 million too many. I am tired of feeding the endless loop of super-elitist farce that modern football(ers) has become, when the focus should be clearly elsewhere. I know I am daydreaming, but I hope the virus is a catalyst for the bubble to burst and I get back my football of old.
Whilst I agree 100% we were slow as feck on the reaction to this, coupled with devastatingly low funding on the NHS over 10 years, is it not also the case that Germany had a great headstart not only over us but over most the world? I think they had ready made diagnostic labs for testing from the get-go. The biggest lab the world happened to be German right?

Redcy

Whilst I agree 100% we were slow as feck on the reaction to this, coupled with devastatingly low funding on the NHS over 10 years, is it not also the case that Germany had a great headstart not only over us but over most the world? I think they had ready made diagnostic labs for testing from the get-go. The biggest lab the world happened to be German right?
That and a private health system that the government could tap straight into, I think under laws already written.

The UK government reacted a bit slow, but the feedback seems to be that they can't get PPE stuff anywhere, orders were placed with long lead times, but they are not being delivered. The rapid testing kits don't actually work as advertised so they are starting from scratch on those. A catalogue of problems some that were predictable, some that werent. Yes they had better testing labs locally too, that were easy to ramp up for the coronavirus tests.

https://www.football-italia.net/152094/report-serie-end-august

Looks like league may end in August. Serie A are definitely looking to push the schedule of returning to training on May 4th (Italy government extended restrictions until May 3rd so assumption is that training can resume after that), with the season resuming on May 30th.

Brescia have stated they will not play any more games. It probably won't much difference given they will get relegated, but I wonder if any other teams will follow that pattern, or if Brescia will even follow through on it. If they do, I'm guessing each of their opponents will get a 3-0 win against them.
That end date is just the current end of the rules, they will be renewed. How many of them are renewed will depend on the progression of cases at the end of the month. Considering we have just had Easter and there are tonnes of people around in my town today I'm not overly optimistic.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
I'm not British and I'm thankful for that at times like these . I've read alot of doctors and nurses have been saying don't clap for us just please stop voting for the Tories . The Tories have been wrecking the NHS for decades and now people seem suprised Germany have dealt with this virus better .
Yes but the German system is different. In Germany it is a insurance system, both private and public, with the public part providing 7% of their per-tax wage, topped up by a further 7% by employers and equates to 80% of income to the service. The private part is paid for by the self-employed/those that opt out of the public part. However, those with little/no contributions and certain unemployed people either have no access or have to buy private insurance to access it. This would not work here as anything other than universal access for all is denounced as a fascist right wing ideal.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
In a nutshell.

The only thing that was going to save the NHS was not the largely thick and self centred British public but, ironically for an atheist leaning country, God.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
That and a private health system that the government could tap straight into, I think under laws already written.

The UK government reacted a bit slow, but the feedback seems to be that they can't get PPE stuff anywhere, orders were placed with long lead times, but they are not being delivered. The rapid testing kits don't actually work as advertised so they are starting from scratch on those. A catalogue of problems some that were predictable, some that werent. Yes they had better testing labs locally too, that were easy to ramp up for the coronavirus tests.
The UK has no excuse for not being better prepared. They ran a simulation in 2016 called exercise Cygnus to test the readiness for a pandemic. Afterwards the CMO at the time said the uk wasn’t ready and highlighted lack of ventilators as an issue. The full report is still classified and in light of covid19 I’m sure the govt won’t publish it anytime soon.

Its scandalous what is going on and the media are complicit by not battering the govt everyday. The daily news briefings are a running joke. Death stats, a few graphs and the same well worn answers to the same piss poor questions. They blamed the miners for Orgreave, the fans for Hillsborough, the fire fighters for Grenfell - who will they pass the buck to this time? The science and medical advisers would be my bet.

Redcy

The UK has no excuse for not being better prepared. They ran a simulation in 2016 called exercise Cygnus to test the readiness for a pandemic. Afterwards the CMO at the time said the uk wasn’t ready and highlighted lack of ventilators as an issue. The full report is still classified and in light of covid19 I’m sure the govt won’t publish it anytime soon.

Its scandalous what is going on and the media are complicit by not battering the govt everyday. The daily news briefings are a running joke. Death stats, a few graphs and the same well worn answers to the same piss poor questions. They blamed the miners for Orgreave, the fans for Hillsborough, the fire fighters for Grenfell - who will they pass the buck to this time? The science and medical advisers would be my bet.
Oh i agree in that we were criminally underprepared at that level. I have listened to some very knowledgeable people who wrote or provided information for those reports. They all say that you can trace back to about 2007 the need to prepare for it, and we have done nothing about it. Al the reports for nearly 15 years have identified pulmonary diseases as the next major health issue. So son't get me wrong I am not giving the government a pass on that. It was specifically directed at the odd things where I can see how when they have tried to react they fecked up initially and have then be foiled by that lack of planning. If it came across that way trust me I have nothing but disdain for that level of incompetence when we knew it was only a matter of time. We even knew it was likely to be a CV back in 2007 according to some of the scientists.

Blueman

Supports
Man City

BCD is a travesty. City played LFC and their anfield crowd, now LFC get to set unbreakable records with the advantage of playing against no away fans. Not fair, integrity out of nthe window.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
Eh :confused:

What about our remaining home matches where we'd have the disadvantage of not having our own fans cheering us on ? Doesn't that kinda balance it out ? & could you really see your own fans turning out in their droves playing against the side are going to win the league regardless of what happens at The Etihad ?
So it is completely fair for a season to be decided by LFC not having to play at their nearest rivals ground? Or for Aston Villa to not be relegated becnause their away games against their direct relegation rivals wont have the away fans? It is totally unfair and for LFC for example to go setting unbrekabale records whilst playing without away fans is wrong, they have Arsenal, Everton, City - Thats now an easier nine points. Screw that, wheres the integrity?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
BCD is a travesty. City played LFC and their anfield crowd, now LFC get to set unbreakable records with the advantage of playing against no away fans. Not fair, integrity out of nthe window.
:lol:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
How exactly does this apply to you?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Got a better idea?

hmchan

I'm a healthcare professional from Hong Kong and it seems to me many Western countries and media try to play the threat of COVID-19 down deliberately. I have recently seen multiple nonsense articles like this (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/09/...t-from-the-spanish-flu-of-1918-heres-how.html). It's understandable that they don't want to create panic (the last thing we want really), but it's also unwise to underestimate the virus and give people false hope that things are getting better and things are returning normal soon.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
How exactly does this apply to you?
It applies to everyone. Some teams are getting an unfair advantage. Lfc not having to play at goodison, etihad, arsenal is unfair. That's nine points that have been made soooooo much easier.

Blueman

Supports
Man City
Got a better idea?
We go again because the season couldn't be finished. Common sense to me...

Teams get a portion of what they would have. I don't know why all the bluster over it tbh, everyone has lost out.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I'm a healthcare professional from Hong Kong and it seems to me many Western countries and media try to play the threat of COVID-19 down deliberately. I have recently seen multiple nonsense articles like this (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/09/...t-from-the-spanish-flu-of-1918-heres-how.html). It's understandable that they don't want to create panic (the last thing we want really), but it's also unwise to underestimate the virus and give people false hope that things are getting better and things are returning normal soon.
I think the media in general here did the opposite which was part of the problem.

Every time a virus hits the world they call doomsday and claim it's going to ravage the UK when ultimately upto now any virus barely touched the sides of our shores, this was a typical boy (media) who cried wolf situation.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
@Blueman what if LFC awarded 3-0 victories to those three teams, would that satisfy you?

As for the City game, surely you'll probably get MORE Blues fans in a BCD game. Or so the running joke goes. :p

Snafu17

I was talking about football generally, not specifically about finishing the season.

Course cancelling football for a year because playing behind closed doors allegedly lacks integrity is dumb.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
We go again because the season couldn't be finished. Common sense to me...

Teams get a portion of what they would have. I don't know why all the bluster over it tbh, everyone has lost out.
I'm sure that has been considered. You don't think that had been considered? Surely that path has been considered. Thoroughly considered.

And the conclusion from PL, FA, Uefa and FIFA, after all that consideration, is: we can't 'afford' to abandon the season.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
One thing that I still can't really understand, perhaps you can help. What protection does a simple surgical mask give? As soon as news of the virus emerged there were pictures of people in China more or less all with masks on - was that a govt directive? In Europe info about masks is confused and conflicting with some reports saying they provide no protection at all. WHO initially only recommended masks for people with covid19 or displaying symptoms not for people symptom free (they may have changed that recommendation now). If the virus can enter via the nose and mouth then is it not logical that a mask, even a simple one, would provide some degree of protection?

Lots of people are now wearing masks in the UK but I wonder could it have helped if it had been strongly advised right at the beginning?

Re: western countries trying to play it down - we have a PM who initially said we should "take it on the chin and let it move thru the population" (ie do feck all and watch 250-500K people die) and of course then there is that dangerous clown in the white house who is rapidly losing whatever plot he had. Germany and the nordic countries seem to have got a better hold on it. Even Ireland who have a poor public health system have half the death rate per capita of the UK - they introduced more stringent measures earlier.

Pep's Suit

So here in Czechia teams will be allowed to train again starting this monday. Guess the league will restart in late May or early June but BCD.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
One thing that I still can't really understand, perhaps you can help. What protection does a simple surgical mask give? As soon as news of the virus emerged there were pictures of people in China more or less all with masks on - was that a govt directive? In Europe info about masks is confused and conflicting with some reports saying they provide no protection at all. WHO initially only recommended masks for people with covid19 or displaying symptoms not for people symptom free (they may have changed that recommendation now). If the virus can enter via the nose and mouth then is it not logical that a mask, even a simple one, would provide some degree of protection?

Lots of people are now wearing masks in the UK but I wonder could it have helped if it had been strongly advised right at the beginning?

Re: western countries trying to play it down - we have a PM who initially said we should "take it on the chin and let it move thru the population" (ie do feck all and watch 250-500K people die) and of course then there is that dangerous clown in the white house who is rapidly losing whatever plot he had. Germany and the nordic countries seem to have got a better hold on it. Even Ireland who have a poor public health system have half the death rate per capita of the UK - they introduced more stringent measures earlier.
There seems to be a belief that the masks are just a placebo, and make you "feel" safer, as you're at least trying to do something to stay free of the virus.
But I've seen experts say it's of more use if you have the virus, keeping it with the confines of your mask, rather than it being useful to avoid getting it. The reason being that the particles are so miniscule, that they can't be blocked.

But have to take it all with a pinch of salt, as it came from UK "experts".

One guy Vallance originally said small gatherings have a higher chance of passing on infections than big gatherings.
On a sheer numbers game that surely can't be true. Which is why everyone browned themselves at that Cheltenham festival going ahead, and also the Atletico Madrid hoard rolling into Liverpool.