Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Amir

Many clubs with fold if they can’t get fans in by January.
So financial arragements will have to be made to help those clubs. For the foreseeable future - next few months at the very least - you just won't be able to pack thousands of people in a stadium or a theatre.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Seems Brighton and West Ham were also in today. Spurs moving from Barnet common back to their training ground tomorrow.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
So financial arragements will have to be made to help those clubs. For the foreseeable future - next few months at the very least - you just won't be able to pack thousands of people in a stadium or a theatre.
No you’re right so I don’t think any football should be played. Sky were saying they may play games at St George’s park. Takes so much interest of the game away.

Ludens the Red

There are lot of people wanting to get to work because they have economic situation that is bad. Football players are not who are going to suffer more then being bored. So I’m not feeling a bit sorry for them. To want something isn’t exactly to doing something right. This is something we should all help eachother as a nation and humans. We should not act egoistic. So if The FA somehow start before we have things under control they are egoistic. Then to talk about football family? Give me a break. Money talks. There is no family in it. I might be wrong but I think that majority of fans don’t care about football right now when people are dying in 100s.

Players might not be in most danger but they are in danger. As you and me and everyone else. And getting the virus and spreading to the next person is easy. What if some players get infected and spreds to people in riskzone?

Don’t get me wrong. As I said earlier. I would love to play tommorow. But it isn’t time or place for that before we sort this out and get it under control.
Not every footballer actually lives in luxury, in fact if you work your way through the whole of football, the majority do not actually live in luxury. You keep talking as if football is going to start without government guidance, its been said in the thread a few times but nothing is going to happen until the government gives businesses the green light to go ahead. You seem to have got it into your head that football has gone rogue and is going to do whatever it wants. Like I said these conversations are being held in all sectors, it's just that football has the spotlight on it because its football. As for the bit in bold, again its been addressed about 200 times in this thread, I cant be bothered.

I don’t think all footballers will want to play football. Contact sport will carry a much higher risk than almost all the other jobs you mention. Lathered in sweat, jostling together, sometimes shouting in each other’s face etc etc Not really comparable with a mask-wearing hairdresser.

Yes, they’re young and healthy but we all know this can kill young, healthy people and for all we know there are footballers out there who this would make very anxious. Then you have footballers living with people who are at high risk. Immune compromised partners, or kids. Or if they live with elderly parents.

Plus, if we’re talking PL players the financial incentive for many of them to rush back playing just isn’t there. They could easily afford to take a year out.

So I don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion that footballers will all dutifully rock up to the first match they’re assigned to play. And it really only takes a handful of top players digging their heels in to start to make the whole process unfair and, hence, problematic.
Just go on Instagram Pogue, literally every footballer on there, all they're posting about is football, how much they miss football, them playing football in the garden, videos of them playing football for their clubs (and these are all PL footballers), them playing FIFA. It's endless. Yeah of course there'll be some that don't want to play but it'll be a very small minority and I'm sure they will have the option to sit it out, I doubt anybody is going to be forced to play. As for having compromised partners and kids, again I would hazard a guess that's something that's going to be in the very small minority and those who do have family members at high risk will probably be the ones who don't want to return.

I dunno how much you know about wrestling and the WWE but they've basically been allowed to continue working through the lockdown (mainly because Trump and Vince McMahon are best buddies) and although a few did choose to not work (one who had leukemia) most have decided they want to keep working and so its gone on. There was a wrestler who had it but it was caught fairly quickly and he isolated. Till this point there hasn't been a massive spread of it within wrestling and that's wrestling, if you think football breaks social distancing than wrestling is a whole other story. Ultimately, wrestling and football and the like all have their own medical teams and resources and so they're going to be far better at managing it than for instance 'hairdressers' and yeah you're gonna get people saying "its not fair because everyone else doesn't have this access" but this has been the case forever. I love your optimism btw that they'll be wearing masks. Even if it's made mandatory, I'll be shocked if its adhered to for eight hours a shift. Barbers cant keep their mouth shut for more than 2 minutes, there's no way they're keeping masks on all day.

The thing about people who work in a career based role, whether that be footballers, wrestlers, nurses, doctors, police officers, barbers, tattooists etc is that they love what they do and they have chosen to do it. A lot of those jobs carry risk on a daily basis and it doesn't really ever become a major factor in the minds of these people. The coronavirus isnt going to stop these people wanting to work, even those that don't need too. Humans gonna be humans.

Scriblerus

So is this masterplan going to involve squads - presumably with the dozens of others needed to get them on the pitch - being locked away in hotels for six weeks away from their families as previously suggested? Because I can see that going down well - PFA might have the odd objection to air. It's also an ideal way to spread the germ through an entire team - which could easily screw up the schedule as matches have to be postponed. It seems to me very much the circuses part of bread and circuses to keep the population content, with no regard for the physical, mental or emotional welfare of the players. So not untypical of our PM.

cyril C

So is this masterplan going to involve squads - presumably with the dozens of others needed to get them on the pitch - being locked away in hotels for six weeks away from their families as previously suggested? Because I can see that going down well - PFA might have the odd objection to air. It's also an ideal way to spread the germ through an entire team - which could easily screw up the schedule as matches have to be postponed. It seems to me very much the circuses part of bread and circuses to keep the population content, with no regard for the physical, mental or emotional welfare of the players. So not untypical of our PM.
The suggestion of, or requirement to take a 20% pay cut (at least for outstanding wages), might force PFA to re-think. Unless you think every players will end up like Sanchez and Jones.

90 + 5min

Not every footballer actually lives in luxury, in fact if you work your way through the whole of football, the majority do not actually live in luxury. You keep talking as if football is going to start without government guidance, its been said in the thread a few times but nothing is going to happen until the government gives businesses the green light to go ahead. You seem to have got it into your head that football has gone rogue and is going to do whatever it wants. Like I said these conversations are being held in all sectors, it's just that football has the spotlight on it because its football. As for the bit in bold, again its been addressed about 200 times in this thread, I cant be bothered.

Just go on Instagram Pogue, literally every footballer on there, all they're posting about is football, how much they miss football, them playing football in the garden, videos of them playing football for their clubs (and these are all PL footballers), them playing FIFA. It's endless. Yeah of course there'll be some that don't want to play but it'll be a very small minority and I'm sure they will have the option to sit it out, I doubt anybody is going to be forced to play. As for having compromised partners and kids, again I would hazard a guess that's something that's going to be in the very small minority and those who do have family members at high risk will probably be the ones who don't want to return.

I dunno how much you know about wrestling and the WWE but they've basically been allowed to continue working through the lockdown (mainly because Trump and Vince McMahon are best buddies) and although a few did choose to not work (one who had leukemia) most have decided they want to keep working and so its gone on. There was a wrestler who had it but it was caught fairly quickly and he isolated. Till this point there hasn't been a massive spread of it within wrestling and that's wrestling, if you think football breaks social distancing than wrestling is a whole other story. Ultimately, wrestling and football and the like all have their own medical teams and resources and so they're going to be far better at managing it than for instance 'hairdressers' and yeah you're gonna get people saying "its not fair because everyone else doesn't have this access" but this has been the case forever. I love your optimism btw that they'll be wearing masks. Even if it's made mandatory, I'll be shocked if its adhered to for eight hours a shift. Barbers cant keep their mouth shut for more than 2 minutes, there's no way they're keeping masks on all day.

The thing about people who work in a career based role, whether that be footballers, wrestlers, nurses, doctors, police officers, barbers, tattooists etc is that they love what they do and they have chosen to do it. A lot of those jobs carry risk on a daily basis and it doesn't really ever become a major factor in the minds of these people. The coronavirus isnt going to stop these people wanting to work, even those that don't need too. Humans gonna be humans.
Every PL / Championship player will survive even if there isn’t football in few years time. Even more. They have lot of money. It isn’t hard to get out saleries and compare to regular people. It seems to me that you are feeling sorry for them being at home at their multi milion houses? Feel sorry for NHS workers and all those others having to work 20 h a day for a peanuts compared to footballers. Footballers will be alright and no will starve to death.

I know that you can’t be bothered. That is why you write like you do. ”If only football starts the world will be spinning again”. No thought about anything else.

We will see what english goverment does. And what it will mean to football. But there is no good reason why to hurry up anything. Lifes and health of people should go first and be above anything else.

I know you wrote about WWE to another member but you can’t be serious comparing that to football. Two guys fake fighting to a complex sport events that requires a great deal of logistics meaning lot of people involved. It is not 11 vs 11. It is a few 100 involved in a single match. It has been in papers how many it has to be involved to play a game.

Ludens the Red

Every PL / Championship player will survive even if there isn’t football in few years time. Even more. They have lot of money. It isn’t hard to get out saleries and compare to regular people. It seems to me that you are feeling sorry for them being at home at their multi milion houses? Feel sorry for NHS workers and all those others having to work 20 h a day for a peanuts compared to footballers. Footballers will be alright and no will starve to death.

I know that you can’t be bothered. That is why you write like you do. ”If only football starts the world will be spinning again”. No thought about anything else.

We will see what english goverment does. And what it will mean to football. But there is no good reason why to hurry up anything. Lifes and health of people should go first and be above anything else.

I know you wrote about WWE to another member but you can’t be serious comparing that to football. Two guys fake fighting to a complex sport events that requires a great deal of logistics meaning lot of people involved. It is not 11 vs 11. It is a few 100 involved in a single match. It has been in papers how many it has to be involved to play a game.
This thread is a thread called Could they suspend the PL due to the Coronavirus? | Suspended until at least the end of April, on a football forum. Footballers play football, footballers are going to be discussed. If it upsets you so much that people aren't feeling sorry for the NHS or that footballers salaries are bigger than others, here's some advice, don't go into a football thread entitled Could they suspend the PL due to the Coronavirus? | Suspended until at least the end of April.
Literally everyone in this thread is talking about football. If you don't like it take your preciousness elsewhere. Who the feck has mentioned anything about footballers starving to death or even feeling sorry for them, get off your high horse. My point was purely that footballers WANT to play football. And the PL and Championship make up two divisions of the English football pyramid which has 7 professional divisions in total, I'm sure you're aware of that right?

Your wrestling comments are actually quite laughable, firstly who was comparing the two? why do you keep coming up with this stuff? But yeah your limited knowledge of wrestling I guess can be expected, the snobbery towards it is hilarious considering you're trying to come across as this heroic and noble martyr in the middle of all this football discussion. But anyway since you want to compare the two, wrestlers training, athletism and execution levels are far far greater than that of footballers. They work a lot harder than footballers, they also make far more bodily contact with each other than footballers will. Two guys 'fake fighting' sweat, drool over each other at 15-20 minutes at a time, constantly talking each other through the match at close proximity. Five minutes after that, another load of wrestlers enter the same ring and do the same thing. They also have rehearsals as well as also requiring an avalanche of staff - cameramen, paramedics, doctors, security, commentators, etc, etc. Maybe do some research before shooting your mouth off about something you know nothing about.

Last edited:

steffyr2

It's the end of April, what's the title of this thread going to be next week?

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
They are currently locked away from all but their immediate families and the majority are used to going away for up to 6 weeks for International tournaments.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but this is the least of the issues.

The overwhelming majority of football players want to get back to playing. My prediction is that the restrictions will start to be lifted on VE day and players will resume training with an aim to start playing in June.

90 + 5min

This thread is a thread called Could they suspend the PL due to the Coronavirus? | Suspended until at least the end of April, on a football forum. Footballers play football, footballers are going to be discussed. If it upsets you so much that people aren't feeling sorry for the NHS or that footballers salaries are bigger than others, here's some advice, don't go into a football thread entitled Could they suspend the PL due to the Coronavirus? | Suspended until at least the end of April.
Literally everyone in this thread is talking about football. If you don't like it take your preciousness elsewhere. Who the feck has mentioned anything about footballers starving to death or even feeling sorry for them, get off your high horse. My point was purely that footballers WANT to play football. And the PL and Championship make up two divisions of the English football pyramid which has 7 professional divisions in total, I'm sure you're aware of that right?

Your wrestling comments are actually quite laughable, firstly who was comparing the two? why do you keep coming up with this stuff? But yeah your limited knowledge of wrestling I guess can be expected, the snobbery towards it is hilarious considering you're trying to come across as this heroic and noble martyr in the middle of all this football discussion. But anyway since you want to compare the two, wrestlers training, athletism and execution levels are far far greater than that of footballers. They work a lot harder than footballers, they also make far more bodily contact with each other than footballers will. Two guys 'fake fighting' sweat, drool over each other at 15-20 minutes at a time, constantly talking each other through the match at close proximity. Five minutes after that, another load of wrestlers enter the same ring and do the same thing. They also have rehearsals as well as also requiring an avalanche of staff - cameramen, paramedics, doctors, security, commentators, etc, etc. Maybe do some research before shooting your mouth off about something you know nothing about.
I don’t feel upset a bit. I’m very relaxad person. I can read what the topic is so I am talking about footballers. It looks to me that you are taking it personal when I say that it would be crazy playing football while hundreds of people die every day.

And yes. You can see that you feel sorry for them. You keep mentioning how they want to play football and that we could see that on instagram. Well, there are people wanting to do this and that. That doesn’t mean that it is ok in current situation. And playing football goes into that box. If you open up football why would it be different to open up nightclubs, pubs, stores, transport communication and so. Everyone could argue that their business is important and that it could be done with safety of the people.

I might have touched a sensitive spot with WWE. I see that. Good luck with that. And if it makes you happy keep believing what you believe.

If anyone thinking we're 3 - 6 months away from football they're kidding themselves.

We'd be lucky if we have football in the next 12 months
I think I you are wrong. All the indications are there that there will be football before the end do the year.

the exact timeframe no one knows at the moment.

the problem you have with something like wrestling not conforming to distancing is the perception it gives. It influences people, and their own bad behaviours. It’s pretty poor to allow this to carry on. There will be people not conforming to social distancing because you see people of TV not doing so

the same with football - if we are seeing football matches on the tv when we have restrictions in place in the rest of society that’s a recipe for disaster.

if social distancing has stopped, and as long as tests are readily available for those that need it, then football can crack on. But we are not at that stage yet.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think I you are wrong. All the indications are there that there will be football before the end do the year.

the exact timeframe no one knows at the moment.
Just like the government won't tell us straight forward, it's "till April", "Indefinitely", "End of the year", "Early next year", "Next season it's on", etc.

You really can't scrap everything and claimed "No football for 2 years", it's bad for stability, for players mental health, for sponsors, for TV rights, for fans, for club's employee. Just like everything else they'll keep an open mind on Corona and take it one month at a time.

But still, 3-6 months is a very optimistic view. Won't hold my breath.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I have made my peace with the asterisk. Doesn’t matter how the season ends it will be there to some extent. The season will be remembered for 3 things 1) covid19 2) LFC ending title drought and 3) VAR. Numbers 2 & 3 a long long way behind number 1.
You are absolutely delusional :lol:

Ain’t no one remembering points two and three.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Hilarious (not hilarious) when the government lifts restrictions, football restarts and then there’s another burst of infections...

darko

Absolute nonsense
I doubt that they'll have any fans in stadiums in the next six months.

Where I live in Ontario Canada, one of the biggest theatre festivals canceled their 2020-21 season (it goes into November). Another theatre company suspended the start of its 2020-21 season until January 2021. Our 'COVID-19 numbers' here are much better than in Western Europe.

Pagh Wraith

If anyone thinking we're 3 - 6 months away from football they're kidding themselves.

That is just naive and not based in reality. There will almost certainly be football in three months.

Germany wants to start on 9 May behind closed doors, Sweden on 14 June with fans in the stadiums and even in England some teams are back training.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I have made my peace with the asterisk. Doesn’t matter how the season ends it will be there to some extent. The season will be remembered for 3 things 1) covid19 2) LFC ending title drought and 3) VAR. Numbers 2 & 3 a long long way behind number 1.
Oh I'd forgotten about VAR! Make it two asterisks :lol:

TheReligion

Abusive
They are currently locked away from all but their immediate families and the majority are used to going away for up to 6 weeks for International tournaments.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but this is the least of the issues.

The overwhelming majority of football players want to get back to playing. My prediction is that the restrictions will start to be lifted on VE day and players will resume training with an aim to start playing in June.
Mid to late June at best. These restrictions won't just vanish over night. It will be a gradual lift similar to what Italy and Spain are now attempting. We are a good few weeks behind them already, and we'll be watching how the get on, so when you factor all of that in, plus the need to prepare for matches I would imagine we are pushing July and that's if everything goes according to plan and there's no new wave of infection (if there is expect the whole thing to be shut down very quickly and the league finished for a long time).

That still doesn't resolve any of the issues by the way.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
That is just naive and not based in reality. There will almost certainly be football in three months.

Germany wants to start on 9 May behind closed doors, Sweden on 14 June with fans in the stadiums and even in England some teams are back training.
Naive? Italy are still running out on morgues they're using ice rink for morgue and you think we'll have football in 3 months?

Judas

Open to offers

I've been very much "we're a long way off from football" in this thread, but this is utter rubbish. It might not last long due to another outbreak, but I think we'll have football before the years over, there's too much desperation from the involved parties, and seemingly the government to get it going again, so rightly or wrongly it will be back.

jackal&hyde

The season is over. We'l be lucky if we can start the new season in September. Even if you play without spectators it will still create a huge increase in infections due to people getting together to watch sporting events. You do not put the public at risk in such a way just to have sporting competitions. Liverpool, tough luck i guess :)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

There will be players in both divisions NOT on sky high money.
One of those Newcastle lads was on £850 a week and there will definitely be championship youngsters on similar. They will not be able to stand "years" of no football.

TheReligion

Abusive
The season is over. We'l be lucky if we can start the new season in September. Even if you play without spectators it will still create a huge increase in infections due to people getting together to watch sporting events. You do not put the public at risk in such a way just to have sporting competitions. Liverpool, tough luck i guess :)
I'd say although you're really over to one side with this view there's alot more to think about as you point out than just getting football started.

The lockdown will need to be fully relaxed, and I still think that's a while away, before it's possible to get anything going again. The government aren't going to keep the Coronavirus Act and Regulations active whilst letting football resume as if they do they will be basically allowing teams and players to break the law and endorsing it!

Plenty need to change and those who think this is weeks away need to wise up. It isn't.

UncleBob

Not really, they've just opened up the training grounds to allow players to come in and train, more or less isolated, under strict regulations. At best, they'll be allowed to resume full training after the 7th of may.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Only a few teams are back in very limited individual training.
The players have their own ball, their own pitch and can't shower/use facilities onsite.
That's not tantamount to training, and is also heavily in favour of bigger teams with better facilities.
All teams won't be back in intensive training in small groups til end of may, it'll take four weeks from there to get match fit and any planning to be done for resumption of the season, and that's all assuming that the death rate keeps on dropping...

Isn’t that just because the measures are still in place? The governments will relax these and those Jobs where you cannot keep distance will be opened up with extra safety measures put in place.
In the future yes but the government specifically said teams still have to maintain distances when they resume on 18th May. They didn't say anything about when that might stop. The headlines are Serie A returns to training on 4 May but the reality is not quite like that. A lot still has to happen before the first game and most of it is way bigger than football.

I know from Hong Kong, when they first restarted a few weeks ago they were allowing 4 people to train on an 11 aside pitch.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

The thread is a constant battle between the wishful best case and these sort of posts.
Truth is,noone knows

Pagh Wraith

Not really, they've just opened up the training grounds to allow players to come in and train, more or less isolated, under strict regulations. At best, they'll be allowed to resume full training after the 7th of may.
Well, yeah. That's only two weeks away. So it seems unlikely there won't be any football in three months, even in England.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You are absolutely delusional :lol:

Ain’t no one remembering points two and three.
"Do you remember when we had that once a lifetime world emergency that affected millions and totally changed life as we knew it?"

"Oh yes..that was the season Liverpool were awarded the league"

Rooney24

Not sure we can read too much into one or two Clubs opening up their training grounds as a sign of anything significant to be honest.

At most this will be very light training. Maybe a few laps around a training pitch to maintain general fitness and some individual ball work.

Thats light years away from what is required for a full 90 minutes in the PL.

UncleBob

Well, yeah. That's only two weeks away. So it seems unlikely there won't be any football in three months, even in England.
Yup.

However, polls in the UK show that people are worried that restrictions will be lifted too soon, and Boris Johnson refers to the country being at maximum risk, so unless they're making special regulations to bring back sport there's little to suggest that restrictions are being lifted in the coming weeks. The potential backlash would be huge. Still, 3 months is a long time. Best case scenario would be matches in roughly 1,5 month from now, i doubt that it's going to be 2x that

jackal&hyde

I'd say although you're really over to one side with this view there's alot more to think about as you point out than just getting football started.

The lockdown will need to be fully relaxed, and I still think that's a while away, before it's possible to get anything going again. The government aren't going to keep the Coronavirus Act and Regulations active whilst letting football resume as if they do they will be basically allowing teams and players to break the law and endorsing it!

Plenty need to change and those who think this is weeks away need to wise up. It isn't.
I agree with that. I'm not in the UK but some of the relaxation measures are more geared towards not crippling the economies and a bit of improvement in the mental health department. Concerts, sporting events and the like are a long way away imo. Even if you do start behind close doors, one player gets infected and the squad is in isolation, it's just not feasible imo. Some limited group training to keep fitness and tactical work fresh yes, but games? No way until the pandemic is fully under control and that will not be until late summer early September, or even later given that only a vaccine gives guarantees of safety.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The thread is a constant battle between the wishful best case and these sort of posts.
Truth is,noone knows
It's not rocket science. Until they developed a vacinne (which is months months away) football is the least of everyone's priority and rightly so.

Even if they rush it it'll be prone to disruption every other week depending on outside factors