Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Rooney24

Ofcourse we're miles behind Germany and that will show when the season resumes miles later.

And you've kind of answered your question when you say in some form, in controlled environments it won't be as strict but even then they are taking precautions hence the rumours of the subs sitting in the crowd.
And how long do you give it before accepting it wont happen? Do you have a cut off point or the season must resume at some far off distant point in the future no matter what?

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
zero chance of football in three weeks.
exactly. A lot of countries have closed borders and those that haven’t have 14 days selfIsolation for any one coming into the country. Most players and managers will be back in their home countries, there’s a fair bit of logistics to negotiate before football begins again.

UncleBob

If, and that seems unlikely considering Johnsons speech warning about lifting restrictions too soon, the current lockdown is lifted on the 7th of may and teams can resume full training, we're still talking 3-4 weeks of training. Kieran McKenna reckons 3 weeks for the players to be ready.

iHicksy

A lot of noise this morning about restarting and 5 subs for this just to be smoke.
We will see football in 3 weeks imo
No, we won't. The government controls what happens, not the EFL. I'm not sure why this is so hard for people to understand. People are dying en masse still. The government aren't in any hurry to introduce the health and safety nightmare that a single football match would pose.

Let alone restarting the entire league. That's not even mentioning they are well aware of the public outcry that it would induce in regards to everything else being open if football were to restart. I mean christ, you have people going to parks with their friends because the social restrictions were being reported as working.Can you imagine the numbers of idiots that would meet up with their friends to play football if they were told the premier league was restarting? It's simply not going to happen.

cyberman

They won't be doing any training or match prep until lockdown rules are relaxed and that won't be today or tomorrow but more than likely another few weeks at best
But im expecting Boris to relax those rules very soon going by the briefings.
People had a point about fitness when it was middle of July being discussed but 2 weeks of training after 5 weeks off should be enough. If an injured player was out for that period of time we would be shocked he wouldnt play after training for those 2 weeks.
Never mind not having an injury and keeping general fitness up to a maximum.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
People had a point about fitness when it was middle of July being discussed but 2 weeks of training after 5 weeks off should be enough. If an injured player was out for that period of time we would be shocked he wouldnt play after training for those 2 weeks.
Indeed, they're not really "off" either so 2 weeks would definitely be enough, given the circumstances.

Doubt you'll see any PL football in May though, seems nearly impossible and irresponsible to resume that early.

https://app.football-italia.net/?re...t#article/footballitalia-152590&menu=news-all

Looks like Serie A will commence individual training May 4th, group training May 18th, and looking to continue the season around June 2 - 10 behind closed doors.
The PM also said the schedule of relaxing restrictions is totally dependent on case numbers. If cases start to rise again, everything closes back down.

Serie A also said a few weeks ago that if a single player tests positive after the league resumes they will just cancel the whole thing on the spot.

TheReligion

Abusive
Depends what you define as soon? Judging by the briefings we will be in lockdown for another few weeks before things are relaxed. That will mean a slight adjustment and phased return to normality. I can't imagine resuming the PL will be the first thing they think of when you still have millions of businesses closed and millions without work.

cyberman

Indeed, they're not really "off" either so 2 weeks would definitely be enough, given the circumstances.

Doubt you'll see any PL football in May though, seems nearly impossible and irresponsible to resume that early.
I agree but Im only going by reports that he wants football back to keep the publics boredom in check. I dont put anything past this government.

TheReligion

Abusive
I agree but Im only going by reports that he wants football back to keep the publics boredom in check. I dont put anything past this government.
Sorry I think that's a bit of a pipedream when you think logically about it. Will be June at the earliest and that's if phase two goes according to plan with no new spike.

Everyone will be watching Italy carefully with the brakes firmly applied if things start to look uncertain. We are still a very long way from players bring allowed to train, let alone looking to resume any fixtures.

Redcy

Holy shit I just agreed with you what the actual feck.

cyberman

Sorry I think that's a bit of a pipedream when you think logically about it. Will be June at the earliest and that's if phase two goes according to plan with no new spike.

Everyone will be watching Italy carefully with the brakes firmly applied if things start to look uncertain. We are still a very long way from players bring allowed to train, let alone looking to resume any fixtures.
I do agree but theres always a but with Tories in charge

TheReligion

Abusive
I do agree but theres always a but with Tories in charge
Boris has just made a speech saying they won't be rushing relaxing restrictions. Italy have just done so and we are a good few weeks behind them.

I think if all goes well you may get players back at their clubs in June. Add a few weeks of fitness training and you're looking at July.

Rooney24

Boris has just made a speech saying they won't be rushing relaxing restrictions. Italy have just done so and we are a good few weeks behind them.

I think if all goes well you may get players back at their clubs in June. Add a few weeks of fitness training and you're looking at July.
Which brings all the contractual issues that no one has yet got a workable solution for.

UncleBob

Yup.

No idea how anyone can interpret Johnsons speech as an indication that restrictions will be lifted shortly.

TheReligion

Abusive
Which brings all the contractual issues that no one has yet got a workable solution for.
Yup.

No idea how anyone can interpret Johnsons speech as an indication that restrictions will be lifted shortly.
I get people want football back, and this isn't a dig at @cyberman even if the Daleks are my favourite villain, but nothing has changed in the slightest. The time line is still late June early July and that's if everything goes well in Italy and Spain whom are slowly making changes to their restrictions. If anything the UK will be very cautious in what it does and the PM has underlined that approach in bold with his words this morning.

I'm unsure where people keep coming up with the idea everything will be back on imminently when we are nowhere near! And agreed if we do get to a return in July all of the expected issues are still in place and pressure will still be on to find a resolution as you can't simply resume this season then without some serious repercussions.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
There’s more chance of you visiting the moon than seeing football in 3 weeks.
Doubt that since the Bundesliga is aiming for a May 9th restart, and they're still playing football in other countries.

Redcy

Doubt that since the Bundesliga is aiming for a May 9th restart, and they're still playing football in other countries.
Depends on his definition of football and seeing. Assuming any football and watching on a stream then yeah you will likely be able to watch football. In this country then no I dont think we will see it in the next three weeks.

redshaw

The determination is probably too strong to resume hook or by crook within those running the game. Think they will find a way by June/July or even push the new season forward and cram the 9 games in somehow. International games will be more risky and can more easily make way for a league shuffle.

Just hope United can pick up where we left off.

Greck

The determination is probably too strong to resume hook or by crook within those running the game. Think they will find a way by June/July or even push the new season forward and cram the 9 games in somehow. International games will be more risky and can more easily make way for a league shuffle.

Just hope United can pick up where we left off.
Yeah there seems a strong determination that won't be stopped. It may very well end in disaster but that will likely only be considered after the fact.

Redcy

Yeah there seems a strong determination that won't be stopped. It may very well end in disaster but that will likely only be considered after the fact.
Depends if they can complete enough games for Liverpool to win before the shit hits the fan I imagine.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
The 5 subs are set up to compensate for lack of training. I think it'll be announced this week, 2 weeks of training then back at it.
If players started training tomorrow it will be what? 5 weeks since their last training session? It might not be full match fitness but they wouldnt be far off it. Its not like theyre been off on holidays
June return.

You'll need 2-3 weeks of high intensity training so yes very possible if training is given go ahead in mid May.

Let's not forget that more than half of pre season is just flying around the world playing money spinning friendlies so that obviously won't be an option for the next 12 months so it will be just half of that doing core fitness work.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Depends on his definition of football and seeing. Assuming any football and watching on a stream then yeah you will likely be able to watch football. In this country then no I dont think we will see it in the next three weeks.
It will be BCD anyway, this season if it can be played out and certainly next season up to January-Feb.

Would people be comfortable in a football season watching a match in November when flu season is starting and people will be coughing and wheezing next to him? That's why next season for me is actually going to be a bigger problem than just finishing off the last portion of this year as I expect another lockdown in the winter unless an effective treatment can be developed while we wait for a vaccine.

All in the unknown.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I don't know what reports you've seen (links?). I've read/seen nothing to suggest the government see football restarting as anywhere near a priority.
It was on the front page of the S*N just on Saturday. Give it's one of the mouthpieces for the Tory voting base, not sure why it's getting dismissed.

Edit: The backpages of broadsheets have also been covering it last few days. Also been a lead story on BBC and ITV news over the weekend.

When the UK can get under 100 deaths a day and see a consistent decline in active cases, then they might talk about it. That's where Germany are at.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
When the UK can get under 100 deaths a day and see a consistent decline in active cases, then they might talk about it. That's where Germany are at.
I was just being pedantic, since the guy said "football", and we'll probably have football within three weeks as it stands, just not in the UK (and rightfully so).

Member 101269

I listened to BJs speech, again, i am somewhat bemused by anyone thinking we'll be back in three weeks. Im equally bemused by the thinking that suggesting Germany is planning to return on the 9th May that that is a yardstick to measure the UK.

1) the information I've read suggests the Bundesliga is preparing to return. However, there is NO political approval. You can wish to date someone all you want unless they say yes, it isn't happening..
2) unlike graphs we've seen that model pandemics, COVID isn't displaying as a normal distribution. Germans week was approx. 4 weeks, they're 6 weeks after that now and still getting 1200 new cases.
3) the longtail of Germany is 6 weeks and still way above the 600 ish cases we started shutting down. A week ago Germany had 1300 cases.. This looks like a very long tail.
4) the UKs peek took approx. 6 week, we've been flat for 2 weeks. Are we going to have a longer tail than Germany? i suspect so...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So what we thinking.

Is it all back on in 3 weeks, or is there gonna be no football until 2021?
Opinions still seem to be wildly different.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I listened to BJs speech, again, i am somewhat bemused by anyone thinking we'll be back in three weeks. Im equally bemused by the thinking that suggesting Germany is planning to return on the 9th May that that is a yardstick to measure the UK.
From watching BJ's speech (and that's a horrible initialisation!) two things could be taken from it.

1) That we've done a terrific job (we haven't)
2)That there's no imminent sign of any sort of easing of the lockdown conditions.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
So what we thinking.

Is it all back on in 3 weeks, or is there gonna be no football until 2021?
Opinions still seem to be wildly different.
Attempt at football from mid June. Next to no chance of finishing the season if it has to be done by July 1st but my cynical hunch is they just want enough games to make sure Liverpool mathematically win the league and then will decide on relegation and euro qualification later.

Not a clue with what happens with lower leagues tbh.

berbasloth4

this is basically the footballers break. when they are allowed to play again. Allow them play the remaining games then rather than have summer break just go straight into next season.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
From watching BJ's speech (and that's a horrible initialisation!) two things could be taken from it.

1) That we've done a terrific job (we haven't)
2)That there's no imminent sign of any sort of easing of the lockdown conditions.
I must admit I didn't watch the speech (I have been watching majority of the 5pm pressers) but given all the off the record briefings to press over last 4-5 days the plan is clearly to start to slow getting going again from mid May.

I can only give the opinion that before the next review on 7th May they're getting pretty spooked by stuff like car usage going up to nearly 50% again and generally seems more people are out and about so they've used Johnson coming back to ram home the message for people to stay disciplined for next 10 days and then slowly things will start opening up again.

I'd prefer lockdown to stay in some form up to end of May personally. It's when we hit June it becomes very difficult to keep enforced for many reasons not least due to the 12 week personal lockdown for over 70s being very close to expiry at that point.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Minutes silence 11am tomorrow for all NHS workers who've lost their life over last few weeks.