Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Pep's Suit

exactly. A lot of countries have closed borders and those that haven’t have 14 days selfIsolation for any one coming into the country. Most players and managers will be back in their home countries, there’s a fair bit of logistics to negotiate before football begins again.
Czech league should restart on May 26

arnie_ni

People acting as if no part of the economy will be reactivated until it can be done entirely safely are the ones fooling themselves. I work in non-essential retail and I'm hearing that we're not far off being allowed to re-open now. We will get similar guidelines to supermarkets but trust me when I say it is completely impossible to open most types of shop (a bookshop, in my case) and actually keep the risk of transmission in that shop low. People will not be able to stay two metres away from each other. People will constantly be touching things immediately after each other (both products and also surfaces, payment equipment, baskets, door handles etc). For every five reasonably sensible careful customers there will be an eccentric or careless person wandering around coughing, getting oddly up in your personal space, bringing fifteen dribbling kids in...

But the government is still going to do it sooner rather than later because rightly or wrongly they consider economic collapse worse than a sustained mid-level outbreak of the virus.

BCD football, by comparison, is not such a big deal. They have resources, they have expertise, and 322 people inside an entire football stadium is not that much - on a single busy day we can get easily twice that many people walking into the shop. It will be possible to keep everyone except for the players when they're on the pitch reasonable insulated from one another. I foresee a situation where players are constantly tested, rendering the physical contact on the pitch virtually risk free.
But football is different.

If millions see 22 players x 10 games x twice a week huddling in the penalty box for corners how do you expect them to respect social distancing in the street.

You cant have 1 rule for the "elite" and another for john doe in the street

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
People acting as if no part of the economy will be reactivated until it can be done entirely safely are the ones fooling themselves. I work in non-essential retail and I'm hearing that we're not far off being allowed to re-open now. We will get similar guidelines to supermarkets but trust me when I say it is completely impossible to open most types of shop (a bookshop, in my case) and actually keep the risk of transmission in that shop low. People will not be able to stay two metres away from each other. People will constantly be touching things immediately after each other (both products and also surfaces, payment equipment, baskets, door handles etc). For every five reasonably sensible careful customers there will be an eccentric or careless person wandering around coughing, getting oddly up in your personal space, bringing fifteen dribbling kids in...

But the government is still going to do it sooner rather than later because rightly or wrongly they consider economic collapse worse than a sustained mid-level outbreak of the virus.

BCD football, by comparison, is not such a big deal. They have resources, they have expertise, and 322 people inside an entire football stadium is not that much - on a single busy day we can get easily twice that many people walking into the shop. It will be possible to keep everyone except for the players when they're on the pitch reasonable insulated from one another. I foresee a situation where players are constantly tested, rendering the physical contact on the pitch virtually risk free.
Having players constantly tested relies on NHS and other key worker staff also getting tested regularly, which isn't happening any time soon.

Can't have footballers taking priority over key staff, footballs already in a moral vacuum, that would take it over the edge.

arnie_ni

All countries given to 25th may to provide their plan to uefa on how they will restart their leagues.

So 4 weeks until we know whats up.

TheReligion

Abusive
But football is different.

If millions see 22 players x 10 games x twice a week huddling in the penalty box for corners how do you expect them to respect social distancing in the street.

You cant have 1 rule for the "elite" and another for john doe in the street
Yep this. @Brightonian is making valid points about re-opening businesses it's far easier to put things in place for shops (as they have done at supermarkets already) whilst continuing to adhere to social distancing and the law. You can open a hair salon for instance and limit numbers in the salon, ensure PPE is worn, accept contactless payment only etc.

What you can't have is a situation where the general public are being treated differently to PL footballers. When you bring back football you're accepting social distancing is no longer fully required, people can play in parks, gather to watch games and general mingle as they haven't been able to do for weeks. This also means relaxing the law.

It's not a quick fix.

Greck

Yeah I feel like there are people parked in here just to shoot down discussion. There are plans to restart the leagues, plans that may very well collapse but it's looking like a restart will be attempted. Shutting down the economy till it's safe is ideal but not viable and it doesn't project to be safe for a loong time so Governments and bodies are drawing up models to restart activities with economic significance. Some of these models are worth consideration

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah I feel like there are people parked in here just to shoot down discussion. There are plans to restart the leagues, plans that may very well collapse but it's looking like a restart will be attempted. Shutting down the economy till it's safe is ideal but not viable and it doesn't project to be safe for a loong time so Governments and bodies are drawing up models to restart activities with economic significance. Some of these models are worth consideration
Surely it's obvious though that everyone wants to finish things and surely it's obvious that since things were shut down people behind the scenes would have been trying to prepare for different outcomes and how things may look if and when things were to resume?

What you have here is people quoting things from the media about the above and taking it as gospel, cast iron evidence things are about to start up. As above that's obviously not the case and these things will have been discussed since things finished. It also doesn't indicate we are any closer to resuming. It's all just speculation and the only actual facts we have to go on are what we hear on the government briefing figures and plans as they are outlined each day. None of that at the moment points towards PL football resuming any time soon.

Rooney24

It should actually be fairly black and white. Until social distancing is relaxed completely there is no hope of a football match happening.

I dont see the PFA buying into any of these ideas floating about that entire teams (and officials) are isolated for the remainder of the Season away from their families etc... they just arent going to let them be treated like that.

Brightonian

Yep this. @Brightonian is making valid points about re-opening businesses it's far easier to put things in place for shops (as they have done at supermarkets already) whilst continuing to adhere to social distancing and the law. You can open a hair salon for instance and limit numbers in the salon, ensure PPE is worn, accept contactless payment only etc.
Just to be clear, that's exactly the opposite of what my post said. The government will say that these things are possible in a shop, but possibly they and certainly the retailers themselves know that realistically it's nowhere near that easy. Most shops would need their physical interiors and whole logistical set-up radically redesigned before it would be possible to open safely. See my earlier post for details on why, or just take it on trust from me, a guy who's worked in a variety of different shops and now runs one.

My point was that while everyone in the industry and possibly in the relevant government departments may know this, shops will still be reopened shortly, because this government has to be pragmatic. By the same principle, football will be allowed to get going again sooner rather than later. It is significantly safer to start playing football matches behind closed doors than it will ever be to let the general public back into shops.

TheReligion

Abusive
Just to be clear, that's exactly the opposite of what my post said. The government will say that these things are possible in a shop, but possibly they and certainly the retailers themselves know that realistically it's nowhere near that easy. Most shops would need their physical interiors and whole logistical set-up radically redesigned before it would be possible to open safely.

My point was that while everyone in the industry and possibly in the relevant government departments may know this, shops will still be reopened shortly, because this government has to be pragmatic. By the same principle, football will be allowed to get going again sooner rather than later. It is significantly safer to start playing football matches behind closed doors than it will ever be to let the general public back into shops.
Disagree totally. It's much easier to physically adjust a shop (many already have been with screens, barriers, markings, packaging etc) than it is with football and the wider implications starting the PL has on society.

Brightonian

In terms of the 'what kind of example would it set if you're asking people not to see friends and family but you're letting footballers play matches' argument, I don't think that follows. I can only speak for myself but I understand the difference between 22 men on a football pitch in a highly controllable environment, and the entire population of the country mixing as they please 24/7. Are people really likely to think 'hey, Manchester United and Tottenham just played a football match in an empty stadium... so yes, I can go to that BBQ at my mate's house'?

And being able to watch some football would make being locked up all day much more bearable, too. I wouldn't resent it, I'd be bloody grateful for it.

TheReligion

Abusive
In terms of the 'what kind of example would it set if you're asking people not to see friends and family but you're letting footballers play matches' argument, I don't think that follows. I can only speak for myself but I understand the difference between 22 men on a football pitch in a highly controllable environment, and the entire population of the country mixing as they please 24/7. Are people really likely to think 'hey, Manchester United and Tottenham just played a football match in an empty stadium... so yes, I can go to that BBQ at my mate's house'?

And being able to watch some football would make being locked up all day much more bearable, too. I wouldn't resent it, I'd be bloody grateful for it.
Exactly. You can. You already have people breaking the lockdown to go hiking, sunbathing and soak up beauty spots. You already have people looking for ambiguity in the legislation to challenge the police despite the clear guidance around non essential travel, not mixing outside of households and no public or private gatherings.

Do you really think people would be happy to see footballers and staff breaking the law on national TV and just accept it or do you think many would gather to watch a game or go and have a kick about in the park? I know what I see as being more likely.

arnie_ni

Just to be clear, that's exactly the opposite of what my post said. The government will say that these things are possible in a shop, but possibly they and certainly the retailers themselves know that realistically it's nowhere near that easy. Most shops would need their physical interiors and whole logistical set-up radically redesigned before it would be possible to open safely. See my earlier post for details on why, or just take it on trust from me, a guy who's worked in a variety of different shops and now runs one.

It is simple. My wife is working in a shop and has been all along. 3 people allowed in the store at all times and they are allowed to ask the customers to leave if they dont obey the 2 metre rule.

Its quite simple actually

arnie_ni

Sure people are already breaking social distancing rules because theres a bit of sunshine.

You give to much credit to people

TheReligion

Abusive
It is simple. My wife is working in a shop and has been all along. 3 people allowed in the store at all times and they are allowed to ask the customers to leave if they dont obey the 2 metre rule.

Its quite simple actually
Yeah I'm not sure why the poster is making it complicated. Literally every shop open at the moment has made huge operational changes and I'd imagine any that opens in the near future will be required to do the same. To say restarting the PL is easier than opening a shop is bizarre.

Alabaster Codify7

Let them think it mate.

Fact is, you kick-start an economy by getting people to 'spend money on things'. That will soon happen, because the longer people aren't spending money on things, the harder this thing becomes to reverse and we are fecked even without a virus.

BCD football is closer to happening than a lot of people think, in my opinion. And football is one of the things I'm least worried about right now, I'd much rather see businesses reopening with social distancing implemented and the hospitality trade be thrown mild lifelines. All are close to happening in my opinion.

Devil may care

All of this economic shit isn't going to matter when a second wave hits after greed trumps logic, I feel bad for the NHS workers and their families who will have to pick up the pieces and give their lives in the process in some cases, because people can't be patient.

Brightonian

Disagree totally. It's much easier to physically adjust a shop (many already have been with screens, barriers, markings, packaging etc) than it is with football and the wider implications starting the PL has on society.
You are kidding yourself. The precautions in place make some difference but they're as much for public confidence as for any real belief in the industry that they actually prevent transmission in store. If you stay two metres away from other people at all times, you are unlikely to catch the virus from them... but this is not the case if they cough or sneeze, as has now been proven by a number of scientific studies, and well demonstrated by this modelling:

Meanwhile, the virus can stay alive on a surface for up to 48 hours. Take my bookshop. Unless you imagine that customers can somehow choose books without taking them off the shelves, then every single browsed book could potentially be 'live' for up to 48 hours. Which means, effectively, that at any given time most of the books in the shop will be a potential infection risk, to customers but also to staff who literally spend every second of every day touching books and moving them around. At the till, we are in an area where if we take contactless payment only we might as well not open. Lots of elderly customers who mainly use cash. Lots of wealthy customers who insist on doing things their way and whose custom we will lose very quickly if we tell them no.

The set-up of a bookshop requires most of the floorspace to be filled with tables, with channels for customers to move around in between. Now, we can drastically reduce the number of tables (which will, take my word for it, immediately cost us in terms of takings), but there is still no way for customers to move around the floor without having to get close to one another sometimes. Supermarkets haven't managed to pull it off, and they have aisles! In the summer, when we have steady trade, this is a fairly insurmountable problem. At Christmas, when the shop is normally absolutely packed full of people.. you'd have to reduce customer numbers 100-fold to have any chance of being open safely. And that just wouldn't be worth the overheads.

This is just scraping the surface of the issues. I've barely mentioned staff safety, how to handle the multiple daily deliveries we take, cash handling, customer behaviour, unrealistic requirement for extra staff, etc etc. No-one who works in retail seriously expects to be able to provide a safe environment for staff and customers. It will be a matter of somewhat limiting the risk and then getting on with it in order to keep paying the bills.

A football match with 300 or so professionals of various kinds in a stadium environment under the aegis of organisations with a lot of money, expertise and oversight... the risk is minimal by comparison.

Brightonian

Let them think it mate.

Fact is, you kick-start an economy by getting people to 'spend money on things'. That will soon happen, because the longer people aren't spending money on things, the harder this thing becomes to reverse and we are fecked even without a virus.

BCD football is closer to happening than a lot of people think, in my opinion. And football is one of the things I'm least worried about right now, I'd much rather see businesses reopening with social distancing implemented and the hospitality trade be thrown mild lifelines. All are close to happening in my opinion.
Agreed on all fronts. It is simply not possible to get things back up and running without significant risks, but it will happen anyway because pragmatically speaking, it has to. That includes football matches, which are relatively low risk compared to business opening to the general public.

Brightonian

Sure people are already breaking social distancing rules because theres a bit of sunshine.

You give to much credit to people
No, I don't. I just don't think televised BCD football matches are going to contribute to the problem, because it has nothing to do with people's lives the way, say, a sunny weekend does. Either you're taking restrictions seriously or you're not, but how does a football match which you can't attend and which can't be shown in public make any difference? If anything it's two hours every week you're more likely to stay at home in front of the box.

Member 101269

The comparison might be; well 25 people in a football match can be in contact and that isn't harmful, therefore I can go to my mates for a BBQ.

BTW was it on the ship, in Japan, the virus stayed alive for 17 days?

Let them think it mate.

You're conflating two things; spending money doesn't mean going out; what i think you're saying is retaining the existing fuctions which is pretty difficult when buisnesses have already go to the wall. Does BCD actually encourage spending?

All of this economic shit isn't going to matter when a second wave hits after greed trumps logic, I feel bad for the NHS workers and their families who will have to pick up the pieces and give their lives in the process in some cases, because people can't be patient.
This...
Question.. in that big place in the east, some say data wasn't accurate in the first wave..... wave two?

I wonder if Hospitals in the UK are planning for wave two in September..

No, I don't. I just don't think televised BCD football matches are going to contribute to the problem, because it has nothing to do with people's lives the way, say, a sunny weekend does. Either you're taking restrictions seriously or you're not, but how does a football match which you can't attend and which can't be shown in public make any difference? If anything it's two hours every week you're more likely to stay at home in front of the box.
Right... so pubs will not open the back door.. I wonder if people could name pubs that have suggested they'd open a back door for regulars..

90 + 5min

What you can't have is a situation where the general public are being treated differently to PL footballers. When you bring back football you're accepting social distancing is no longer fully required, people can play in parks, gather to watch games and general mingle as they haven't been able to do for weeks. This also means relaxing the law.

It's not a quick fix.
Spot on. You are 100% correct.

There will be players in both divisions NOT on sky high money.
One of those Newcastle lads was on £850 a week and there will definitely be championship youngsters on similar. They will not be able to stand "years" of no football.
Youngsters often lives with their parents. I don't live in UK so I don't know what salery looks like but hearing 850 a week dosen't seem that bad comparing to other professions. I could be wrong. But that should be well above minimum wage. So the youngsters will be alright.

TheReligion

Abusive
You are kidding yourself. The precautions in place make some difference but they're as much for public confidence as for any real belief in the industry that they actually prevent transmission in store. If you stay two metres away from other people at all times, you are unlikely to catch the virus from them... but this is not the case if they cough or sneeze, as has now been proven by a number of scientific studies, and well demonstrated by this modelling:

Meanwhile, the virus can stay alive on a surface for up to 48 hours. Take my bookshop. Unless you imagine that customers can somehow choose books without taking them off the shelves, then every single browsed book could potentially be 'live' for up to 48 hours. Which means, effectively, that at any given time most of the books in the shop will be a potential infection risk, to customers but also to staff who literally spend every second of every day touching books and moving them around. At the till, we are in an area where if we take contactless payment only we might as well not open. Lots of elderly customers who mainly use cash. Lots of wealthy customers who insist on doing things their way and whose custom we will lose very quickly if we tell them no.

The set-up of a bookshop requires most of the floorspace to be filled with tables, with channels for customers to move around in between. Now, we can drastically reduce the number of tables (which will, take my word for it, immediately cost us in terms of takings), but there is still no way for customers to move around the floor without having to get close to one another sometimes. Supermarkets haven't managed to pull it off, and they have aisles! In the summer, when we have steady trade, this is a fairly insurmountable problem. At Christmas, when the shop is normally absolutely packed full of people.. you'd have to reduce customer numbers 100-fold to have any chance of being open safely. And that just wouldn't be worth the overheads.

This is just scraping the surface of the issues. I've barely mentioned staff safety, how to handle the multiple daily deliveries we take, cash handling, customer behaviour, unrealistic requirement for extra staff, etc etc. No-one who works in retail seriously expects to be able to provide a safe environment for staff and customers. It will be a matter of somewhat limiting the risk and then getting on with it in order to keep paying the bills.

A football match with 300 or so professionals of various kinds in a stadium environment under the aegis of organisations with a lot of money, expertise and oversight... the risk is minimal by comparison.
Without sounding rude I'm well aware of all of that and it's a question of limiting and restricting the spread of the virus by taking steps in store and by those entering stores taking their own precautions. You can argue what is and isn't working and the science behind it but ultimately it does help which ever way you look at it. To say the measures have no positive impact is not only factually wrong but it's dangerously misleading. As a business owner you must do everything you possibly can to enforce social distancing and positively reinforce good hygiene whatever your own opinion may be.

Again all of that is far easier to do than restarting football and the wider implications that has.

jackal&hyde

Yep. In some cases it isn't even on economic basis, it's just people getting bored and wanting to have some fun, watching football, etc. It's a bit terrible really how narrow minded some people are when they can't have their normal life for a little while even when it means saving lives. I also happen to work in a hospital and the thought of people starting to go out, traveling, etc just does my head in.

arnie_ni

Because when people see 22 players together on a small pitch and the government is telling them they cant go to the park to sunbath or drive somewhere to exercise etc what the hell do you think the public are going to do?

Theyll stop taking everything the government says seriously

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
We're a very long way away from that though. A vaccine could be 6 to 12 months away. Even in a worst case scenario, the World will be just fine without football for that time.
What happens if we are never able to develop a vaccine?

Alabaster Codify7

According to some, we might as well all just lie down and die at home within the next few months. According to some the world is not going to even attempt to keep turning unless we have a vaccine. Absolute jokers. Fortunately, we as a species have more backbone than that and we will get the world turning even if means having to take risks and make compromises.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Because when people see 22 players together on a small pitch and the government is telling them they cant go to the park to sunbath or drive somewhere to exercise etc what the hell do you think the public are going to do?

Theyll stop taking everything the government says seriously
One of the biggest problems with having the likes of Johnson and Gove in charge is that they aren't people that you would take seriously anyway.

Four years ago they were saying that we should ignore all the experts, but now they are saying we need to listen to the experts!

jackal&hyde

According to some, we might as well all just lie down and die at home within the next few months. According to some the world is not going to even attempt to keep turning unless we have a vaccine. Absolute jokers. Fortunately, we as a species have more backbone than that and we will get the world turning even if means having to take risks and make compromises.
We are, by staying at home and social distancing. Or you mean accepting however many preventable deaths would come without these measures?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I think we'll see a return to "normal life" regardless however we'll have to certain measures that were not a part of our lives pre-2020. Things like contact tracing, facemasks and perhaps social distancing could become mandatory. Facemasks and gloves might just end up as daily wear and everybody will have to use some sort of contact tracing app. Social Distancing could relaxed and tightened depending on the numbers of people getting sick. The same with working from home, in fact, many jobs may just switch to this or remote working.

This is what I think will happen without a vaccine being developed and if the virus doesn't weaken over time.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Having players constantly tested relies on NHS and other key worker staff also getting tested regularly, which isn't happening any time soon.

Can't have footballers taking priority over key staff, footballs already in a moral vacuum, that would take it over the edge.
This. Footballers just can't jump the queue. There's millions of people who need to be tested before athletes.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Scottish government recommends face coverings
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has unveiled new guidance by the Scottish government, saying people should cover their faces when outdoors.

Ms Sturgeon said residents should use a cloth covering when on public transport or in other settings where social distancing will be difficult.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...ence-to-commemorate-key-workers-who-have-died

Possibility for players to play with masks?

Footballers wearing masks during matches would be 'sensible precaution'

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d-be-sensible-precaution-coronavirus-football

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
A bit more on the German informaiton,

German COVID-19 spread worsens as lockdown eases

First signs that transmission of the novel coronavirus has again picked up were visible in German official data, just as the country attempts a cautious easing of its lockdown measures.

The reproduction or infection rate under close watch by health authorities mounted again to around 1.0, meaning each infected person passes the virus on to one other, figures from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for disease control showed.

Since mid-April, the infection rate had sunk as low as 0.7 before inching back up again.

Health Minister Jens Spahn earlier in April declared the pandemic "under control" in Germany, as Merkel and state premiers agreed smaller shops could open from last week and some pupils return to school from next Monday.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/germany-covid-19-spread-worsens-lockdown-eases-12683848

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Scottish government recommends face coverings
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has unveiled new guidance by the Scottish government, saying people should cover their faces when outdoors.

Ms Sturgeon said residents should use a cloth covering when on public transport or in other settings where social distancing will be difficult.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...ence-to-commemorate-key-workers-who-have-died

Possibility for players to play with masks?

Footballers wearing masks during matches would be 'sensible precaution'

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...d-be-sensible-precaution-coronavirus-football
I think the players would become tired faster. Those masks are not easy to breathe in, when you're running you inhale even more air and the mask will block that. Most likely the players will be gasping for air and they'll keep touching the mask which is unhygienic