Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

RedDevilRoshi

Scottish Premiership officially declared finished. Celtic champions and Hearts are relegated :D

Cheerio Jambos! :D

Pagh Wraith

That's terrible. I hope the clubs affected by this won't just take it on the chin and start suing their leagues into oblivion.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You have to feel sorry for Hearts getting relegated when they still had matches to try and survive.

soulfox63

Scottish Premiership officially declared finished. Celtic champions and Hearts are relegated :D

Cheerio Jambos! :D
Hearts chucked under a bus, 4 points adrift with 8 to play . Would the SPL called the league if Rangers were 4 points behind Celtic ? I doubt it.

RedDevilRoshi

You have to feel sorry for Hearts getting relegated when they still had matches to try and survive.
No chance, I’m absolutely delighted. They are identical to their big brother Rangers up here. Absolute scum of a club.

Rooney24

That's terrible. I hope the clubs affected by this won't just take it on the chin and start suing their leagues into oblivion.
Dont bet on it. Heres part of their Statement just now:

"As previously intimated the club has been taking legal advice throughout this process and are continuing to do so. We hope that the resolution being prepared will avoid the need to go down this route. Legal action would be both time consuming and expensive. However the cost to the club of relegation would outweigh these considerations.

"To our supporters, we thank you for showing patience and continuing to back the club. We will continue to fight against what we believe is an unjust outcome."

Tel074

Hearts chucked under a bus, 4 points adrift with 8 to play . Would the SPL called the league if Rangers were 4 points behind Celtic ? I doubt it.
Grow up . This is hardly anything to do with a bias towards clubs . Rangers should have complained also when France ended their season because they had as much hope of winning that league than they did of winning the Scottish

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Why relegate hearts at all?

An awful decision by the Scottish FA, I hope hearts sue them and win.

Seems to me they have a rock solid case.

NYAS

So why didn’t SPL try what the PL is trying? Is the cost of staging games without fans not worth the potential revenue, as was the case with League 2?

GeorgieBoy

Why relegate hearts at all?

An awful decision by the Scottish FA, I hope hearts sue them and win.

I’m assuming their logic is you can’t gift a side the title but then not relegate the last placed team for consistency.

Not that I agree with it.

Will make for an even more uncomfortable wait for the PL bottom 3 now.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Can't possibly say that unless we know what's in the contract between the SPL and their teams. If they're gonna sue, they'll feel like there's at least wordings in there which are open to interpretation, or that they're indeed relegated without any legal basis. On the other hand, you'd think that the SPL has looked at their case and decided that there are indeed legal grounds to relegate Hearts.

Ludens the Red

What an utterly bizarre and rushed decision by the Scottish Premiership.
The country is actually one of the fortunate ones who haven’t posted horrific numbers and they’re also talking about opening things back up on the 28th.
They’ve got 12 teams in their top tier so it’ll be far more easy to manage than the other big leagues, it’s also a very small country.

If they end up trying to start up a new season come end of July I think Hearts could have a leg to stand on.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What an utterly bizarre and rushed decision by the Scottish Premiership.
The country is actually one of the fortunate ones who haven’t posted horrific numbers and they’re also talking about opening things back up on the 28th.
They’ve got 12 teams in their top tier so it’ll be far more easy to manage than the other big leagues, it’s also a very small country.

If they end up trying to start up a new season come end of July I think Hearts could have a leg to stand on.
It's not always as straight forward as you think. If you are a small league with a weak tv deal matchday income actually makes up a very large part of your revenue. Depending on how much it costs you in extra wages or state help to resume it can financially advantageous or even necessary to just cancel the season.

Ludens the Red

It's not always as straight forward as you think. If you are a small league with a weak tv deal matchday income actually makes up a very large part of your revenue. Depending on how much it costs you in extra wages or state help to resume it can financially advantageous or even necessary to just cancel the season.
Yeah that’s true, but then again, crowds arent getting in anytime soon anyway. If the league restarts in July with no fans, how would that then be explained to Hearts?

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
If you can justify Celtic being handed the title then you could justify handing Liverpool the title :nervous:
Two most self-indulgent clubs in world football (throw Barcelona and Dortmund in there as well to make a lovely quartet), you’ve mentioned there.

Imagine having to listen to Liverpool and Celtic fans ad nauseum if their respective leagues were voided. *shudders*

OleBoiii

I still can't believe that in the cases where playing behind doors is not an option the most common solution seems to be finishing the season as is. Voiding is always going to be more fair.

If a game has to be called off after 70 minutes played you'd hate to give the win to the team that was in the lead by default. It doesn't matter if the lead is by 1 goal or 4. Either we replay the game or there is no winner.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
I still can't believe that in the cases where playing behind doors is not an option the most common solution seems to be finishing the season as is. Voiding is always going to be more fair.

If a game has to be called off after 70 minutes played you'd hate to give the win to the team that was in the lead by default. It doesn't matter if the lead is by 1 goal or 4. Either we replay the game or there is no winner.
If the score was 8-0 with 15' remaining you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that doesn't think it's fair to give the win to the team leading.

The problem with giving it to Liverpool doesn't relate to giving it to Liverpool, it's at the bottom of the league where the issue lies. Best solution is still playing BCD right now though, if they can manage to start it all up within reasonable time.

OleBoiii

If the score was 8-0 with 15' remaining you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that doesn't think it's fair to give the win to the team leading.

The problem with giving it to Liverpool doesn't relate to giving it to Liverpool, it's at the bottom of the league where the issue lies.
I don't agree with the example, as it's practically impossible for the team that's behind to catch up. I think the odds of Liverpool dropping the title is 0.1% or something along those lines, but it's far from impossible.

I agree that this is much bigger than Liverpool's situation. Which is why I also think that handing out exceptions is a poor solution. It would be silly to give Liverpool the title and void the rest of the league.

My stance is clear: finish the league, or void as much as you legally can get away with.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I don't agree with the example, as it's practically impossible for the team that's behind to catch up. I think the odds of Liverpool dropping the title is 0.1% or something along those lines, but it's far from impossible.

I agree that this is much bigger than Liverpool's situation. Which is why I also think that handing out exceptions is a poor solution. It would be silly to give Liverpool the title and void the rest of the league.

My stance is clear: finish the league, or void as much as you legally can get away with.
You pulled that percentage out your ass

If you simulated this season a million times from this point, I would be shocked if you got more than 10 instances where City won the league. 8 of those instances probably involve some sort of food poisoning or drug ban

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Lower league clubs are starting to see the financial impact...

Clough and some of his staff have left Burton and are going to be replaced by the Burton captain on a player-manager role with finance playing a part.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

If you simulated this season a million times from this point, I would be shocked if you got more than 10 instances where City won the league. 8 of those instances probably involve some sort of food poisoning or drug ban
I personally don't think it would happen one time in a trillion.

Liverpool have to have Derby County 07/08 form to blow it and even then they'll only get punished if City win every game, just simply never going to happen.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
The fawning all over the Internet by Celtic and the claim they have "won" their 9th trophy in a row is sickening.

They haven't won it at all, they were handed it.

Pretty repugnant celebrating a trophy they were handed in this way, Imagine how the scousers will act. :nono::rolleyes:

OleBoiii

Ok, so let's do some math(or rather: history). Two things need to happen in order for Liverpool to let this title slip:

1. City win all of their remaining 10 games.
2. Liverpool get 5 points or less. In the event of 5 points, City would probably win on goal difference. In other words: Liverpool needs 6 points in their remaining 9 games to stop this from happening.

The first scenario isn't really crazy at all. Significantly weaker teams than City have gone on 10 win game streaks before. You probably know this, so let's just move onto number 2.

How likely is it that a strong team like Liverpool fails to get 6 out of 27 possible points? And has something similar ever happened? I don't have amazing stat tools and queries at my disposal, but I just happened to remember a freak example that's quite recent. Let's look at Dortmund in the 2014/2015 season. In the previous season they had finished 2nd in the Bundesliga and done quite well in the CL. The barely lost to Real in the quarter finals, who then went on to win the whole thing with ease, beating Bayern 5-0 on aggregate in the process. On paper, Dortmund was comfortably considered the second strongest team in the league and Klopp was already then considered a genius of a coach.

Well, from round 4 and 12(exactly 9 rounds!) Dortmund only managed to get 5 points. And with Klopp as the manager, no less!

Is the situation above exactly the same as the current situation? Of course not. But it proves that very strong teams can fail tremendously over longer periods of time, also in modern football.

Keep in mind that I'm not contesting that it would be fairly crazy if the scenarios above happened. But it's not a freak accident that will only happen once in a million simulations. And even if it was: if you're not mathematically the Champion, you should never receive the trophy.