Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The fawning all over the Internet by Celtic and the claim they have "won" their 9th trophy in a row is sickening.

They haven't won it at all, they were handed it.

Pretty repugnant celebrating a trophy they were handed in this way, Imagine how the scousers will act. :nono::rolleyes:
They have been accredited it therefore it's theirs to celebrate. Not sure why they are being begrudged it.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
The fawning all over the Internet by Celtic and the claim they have "won" their 9th trophy in a row is sickening.

Pretty repugnant celebrating a trophy they were handed in this way, Imagine how the scousers will act. :nono::rolleyes:
Jesus, you're more seething than some Rangers fans I've seen. I love it. Inject it into my veins.

13 points clear with 8 to play, Rangers in disarray, Gerrard publicly admitting the league was done but no it's "repugnant" to celebrate a title everyone knew we would've won on the pitch had a pandemic not robbed us of that opportunity.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
How likely is it that a strong team like Liverpool fails to get 6 out of 27 possible points? And has something similar ever happened? I don't have amazing stat tools and queries at my disposal, but I just happened to remember a freak example that's quite recent. Let's look at Dortmund in the 2014/2015 season. In the previous season they had finished 2nd in the Bundesliga and done quite well in the CL. The barely lost to Real in the quarter finals, who then went on to win the whole thing with ease, beating Bayern 5-0 on aggregate in the process. On paper, Dortmund was comfortably considered the second strongest team in the league and Klopp was already then considered a genius of a coach.

Well, from round 4 and 12(exactly 9 rounds!) Dortmund only managed to get 5 points. And with Klopp as the manager, no less!

Is the situation above exactly the same as the current situation? Of course not. But it proves that very strong teams can fail tremendously over longer periods of time, also in modern football.
In between the 2013/14 and 2014/15 season they lost Robert Lewandowski. Can't really compare the start of a new season, losing one of your best players (Dortmund) to Liverpool's situation.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

Two peas in a pod, the Scousers and Celtic.

They are far and away the most insufferable, self-indulgent clubs in Britain.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
They have been accredited it therefore it's theirs to celebrate. Not sure why they are being begrudged it.
Not claiming accredited they are claiming they won it!

"Neil Lennon: This title triumph is the best of them all"

Really? Being handed a trophy in this manner under these conditions is better than any other of the leagues Celtic has won over the past 10 years?

Give me strength.

:houllier:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Not claiming accredited they are claiming they won it!

"Neil Lennon: This title triumph is the best of them all"

Really? Being handed a trophy in this manner under these conditions is better than any other of the leagues Celtic has won over the past 10 years?

Give me strength.

:houllier:
Mate, he's clearly trolling Rangers fans and for some bizarre reason he's reeled in a fecking Man Utd fan :lol:

OleBoiii

In between the 2013/14 and 2014/15 season they lost Robert Lewandowski. Can't really compare the start of a new season, losing one of your best players (Dortmund) to Liverpool's situation.
They were still the 2nd best team on paper, though. They got 2nd the next season despite making fairly small changes.

But regardless, I'm not claiming that that Dortmund team and this Liverpool team is of equal strength. I'm just saying that strong teams can go on lenghty, disastrous spells. And in this case it's happened quite recently.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Yeah, a mere 13 point lead meant it was all up for grabs

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
They were never catching that, so put your bitterness aside, and just relax.
Of course they could have, never say never.

Remember this glorious moment.

With three games left of the season Liverpool faced title rivals Chelsea. The Reds had gone on an 11 game winning streak and were five points ahead of the Blues and three points clear of Manchester City, who had a game in hand.

Liverpool knew a draw would be a good result and a win would knock Chelsea out of the league title. Knowing that, and having a grudge against Liverpool from his rivalry with Rafa Benitez, Jose Mourinho went full Jose and set up to frustrate Rodgers' side.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...s-slip-happened-four-years-ago-today-20180427

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Jesus, you're more seething than some Rangers fans I've seen. I love it. Inject it into my veins.

13 points clear with 8 to play, Rangers in disarray, Gerrard publicly admitting the league was done but no it's "repugnant" to celebrate a title everyone knew we would've won on the pitch had a pandemic not robbed us of that opportunity.
Congratulations on no. 9 - well deserved. Hopefully you can make it 10 next season. Enjoy whatever way you decide to celebrate.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Of course they could have, never say never.

Remember this glorious moment.

With three games left of the season Liverpool faced title rivals Chelsea. The Reds had gone on an 11 game winning streak and were five points ahead of the Blues and three points clear of Manchester City, who had a game in hand.

Liverpool knew a draw would be a good result and a win would knock Chelsea out of the league title. Knowing that, and having a grudge against Liverpool from his rivalry with Rafa Benitez, Jose Mourinho went full Jose and set up to frustrate Rodgers' side.

https://www.sportbible.com/football...s-slip-happened-four-years-ago-today-20180427
About as much chance as Liverpool blowing this season's lead.

About that good memory though, I'll forever wonder why on earth Rodgers boys went so gung ho. Chelsea had quite a weakened team anyway, and had next to no interest in attacking, yet Liverpool stormed out like they needed to obliterate them.
A draw there basically wins the title, and would have meant they weren't going absolutely insane all out attack v Palace, needing to make up about 7-8 goals on City and instead would have just shut up shop and seen It out.

Man of Steel

Smashed it!!
I'm doubting people's commitment to Sparkle Motion
Olly suggested (I think it was Olly) as a joke months ago, that the site should put all the Liverpool fans on here on a block, or on ignore to the rest of the forum so that they can only talk to themselves, and the rest of us would be spared the gloating and wumming that they are already doing.

I'm thinking that if not banned, the site, or just all of us should also block and ignore every single one of the lovely and decent livpool* fans on this Manchester United forum.

I'll be blocking all of them as soon as the asterix for the virus season trophy is given out..

Anybody else want to rid the site of this vir.. sorry, anger inducing, cafe spoiling varmints?

TheReligion

Abusive

Laughable.

This is the best ever? Embarrassing comments under the circumstances.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Ok, so let's do some math(or rather: history). Two things need to happen in order for Liverpool to let this title slip:

1. City win all of their remaining 10 games.
2. Liverpool get 5 points or less. In the event of 5 points, City would probably win on goal difference. In other words: Liverpool needs 6 points in their remaining 9 games to stop this from happening.

The first scenario isn't really crazy at all. Significantly weaker teams than City have gone on 10 win game streaks before. You probably know this, so let's just move onto number 2.

How likely is it that a strong team like Liverpool fails to get 6 out of 27 possible points? And has something similar ever happened? I don't have amazing stat tools and queries at my disposal, but I just happened to remember a freak example that's quite recent. Let's look at Dortmund in the 2014/2015 season. In the previous season they had finished 2nd in the Bundesliga and done quite well in the CL. The barely lost to Real in the quarter finals, who then went on to win the whole thing with ease, beating Bayern 5-0 on aggregate in the process. On paper, Dortmund was comfortably considered the second strongest team in the league and Klopp was already then considered a genius of a coach.

Well, from round 4 and 12(exactly 9 rounds!) Dortmund only managed to get 5 points. And with Klopp as the manager, no less!

Is the situation above exactly the same as the current situation? Of course not. But it proves that very strong teams can fail tremendously over longer periods of time, also in modern football.

Keep in mind that I'm not contesting that it would be fairly crazy if the scenarios above happened. But it's not a freak accident that will only happen once in a million simulations. And even if it was: if you're not mathematically the Champion, you should never receive the trophy.
An article on Sky Sports website last week had the likelihood of Liverpool winning the prem at 99,98%. That was worked out by some stat guru using amongst other things xG. On oddschecker Liverpool were 98%.

We have the highest ever points total at this stage of any of Europe’s big leagues and the biggest gap to 2nd place.

I haven’t seen anyone use that Dortmund team as an example before but ome people have used Liverpool in 2014 to point out how we could feck it up this time round. The situations are massively different. We needed 7 points from 3 games in 2014 with a leaky defence and a manager who had never won anything. Now we need 6 points from 9 games with a great defence and a much better manager. And that assumes City win all their games.

It is not impossible that we will/would not win it but it is highly unlikely.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
An article on Sky Sports website last week had the likelihood of Liverpool winning the prem at 99,98%. That was worked out by some stat guru using amongst other things xG. On oddschecker Liverpool were 98%.

We have the highest ever points total at this stage of any of Europe’s big leagues and the biggest gap to 2nd place.

I haven’t seen anyone use that Dortmund team as an example before but ome people have used Liverpool in 2014 to point out how we could feck it up this time round. The situations are massively different. We needed 7 points from 3 games in 2014 with a leaky defence and a manager who had never won anything. Now we need 6 points from 9 games with a great defence and a much better manager. And that assumes City win all their games.

PSG after beating Barca in the away game had a 100% chance of qualifying, according to statistics.

I mean you guys most probably would have won it, but you hadn't yet, and statistics are just an indicator, ultimately.

OleBoiii

I never claimed that it was even slightly likely that Liverpool lets this slip. In fact, I even suggested that the odds of that happening is 0.1%. The examples you have given are 0.2% and 2%, which are quite generous towards City, imo.

My point is that people talk as if the odds are 100,000 to 1(or worse), when that's clearly not the case. And even if it was: I don't care. You shouldn't hand a trophy to someone who hasn't mathematically won it. Voiding is much better. But I'm seemingly in the minority when it comes to this, and I'm fine with that.

GiddyUp

And Ireland. Don't know how many cnuts growing up with a Celtic jersey in Ireland but couldn't name three first team players.

Tel074

What an utterly bizarre and rushed decision by the Scottish Premiership.
The country is actually one of the fortunate ones who haven’t posted horrific numbers and they’re also talking about opening things back up on the 28th.
They’ve got 12 teams in their top tier so it’ll be far more easy to manage than the other big leagues, it’s also a very small country.

If they end up trying to start up a new season come end of July I think Hearts could have a leg to stand on.
I personally think it's a sensible decision. Scotland is still in lockdown until the end of may then will have staggered stages to reopen so football in Scotland is a long way off . It's probably harsh on Hearts being relegated but the title wasn't in dispute

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Olly suggested (I think it was Olly) as a joke months ago, that the site should put all the Liverpool fans on here on a block, or on ignore to the rest of the forum so that they can only talk to themselves, and the rest of us would be spared the gloating and wumming that they are already doing.

I'm thinking that if not banned, the site, or just all of us should also block and ignore every single one of the lovely and decent livpool* fans on this Manchester United forum.

I'll be blocking all of them as soon as the asterix for the virus season trophy is given out..

Anybody else want to rid the site of this vir.. sorry, anger inducing, cafe spoiling varmints?
Before you go may I say I will continue enjoying all your posts even though you won't see my responses. God speed. :D

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

If we voted on best posters on this thread, I'd probably get 99.98% of the vote.

It doesn't make it factual though.

Allow it

GiddyUp

I never claimed that it was even slightly likely that Liverpool lets this slip. In fact, I even suggested that the odds of that happening is 0.1%. The examples you have given are 0.2% and 2%, which are quite generous towards City, imo.

My point is that people talk as if the odds are 100,000 to 1(or worse), when that's clearly not the case. And even if it was: I don't care. You shouldn't hand a trophy to someone who hasn't mathematically won it. Voiding is much better. But I'm seemingly in the minority when it comes to this, and I'm fine with that.
You are not in the minority. feck liverpool and their *. They aren't getting better then they are now and this season was a fecking shit show. No one only them had any consistent form and we were all in a bit of turmoil with players and management. Give them their * and when we get to next season I hope the other 19 teams make them fecking pay for it.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool

No you didn't and I was just backing up what you said in terms of odds.

At the risk of repeating myself, ah feck it its been awhile anyway, I think the premier league will prioritise rewarding achievement over rewarding failure - both to date of course.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!

.....and they sing the same copied Gershwin Carousel musical song. :p

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
And if you're not mathematically the Champion, you should never receive the trophy.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
PSG after beating Barca in the away game had a 100% chance of qualifying, according to statistics.

I mean you guys most probably would have won it, but you hadn't yet, and statistics are just an indicator, ultimately.
It tends to help when the referee is completely assisting you in turning the score around. Good thing UEFA finally admitted it, three years later when nothing will ever be done about it outside of that referee never working a big game again.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
I still can't believe that in the cases where playing behind doors is not an option the most common solution seems to be finishing the season as is. Voiding is always going to be more fair.

If a game has to be called off after 70 minutes played you'd hate to give the win to the team that was in the lead by default. It doesn't matter if the lead is by 1 goal or 4. Either we replay the game or there is no winner.
Never understood how voiding would be more fair? Voiding is the least fair option as you are effectively deducting one team 82 points and one team 21 points.