Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Garry Buck

I want the season resumed but I have noticed the death toll creeping back up in recent days. If people are still not even allowed to see friends or family then football should not even be considered for a return.

SharpshooterTom

Football fans will be allowed to attend in August/September. As soon as the money men see a dent in profits due to non attendances, they'll bully the government to allow full attendances once more, so expect that to be rushed back at some point.

James Peril

If anything, the dependency for football has gone down - like with everything else that’s suddenly not possible to obtain. Not really keen on it to start at all, it’s going to be a Liverpool wankathon in all newspapers. Looking forward to the new season, this one has been a disaster from start to finish.

Ludens the Red

@stevoc

I completely get what you’re saying and it’s something that has been constant during the pandemic. Noods made a post in the main thread about the ridiculousness of if not being safe enough for healthy workers to deliver food to the elderly/vulnerable yet he could order a take away pizza and have it delivered to him in twenty mins. And it sums up this whole weird picking and choosing angle.

Why are fit and healthy low risk people not allowed to open up a dentist and help people in need? Yet JD sports can open up, yet Mcds can open up and have hundreds of delivery drivers stood on top of each other with no PPE. Hell even the testing for the PL, that requires a lot of staff. It all just goes back to the government just not having a clue what they’re doing, nor what to prioritise.

PoTMS

Apparently it'll be Spurs v United evening kickoff on Friday 19th with the Merseyside derby on Saturday 20th. That'll be a cracking week of football.

Judas

Open to offers
I'm looking forward to it, but I still fell very uncomfortable with it coming back so soon, especially ahead of so many other industries. But money talks, and I can't say I'm shocked, the desperation has been obvious.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I want the season resumed but I have noticed the death toll creeping back up in recent days. If people are still not even allowed to see friends or family then football should not even be considered for a return.
You mean yesterday which was part of the bank holiday lag? Best thing to look for to notice trends are the seven day rolling averages.

Dante

Average bang
Ideal situation:

Football comes back for 2 games until a handful of players catch mild cases that mean the season needs to be abandoned altogether.

In that time, Liverpool win one and draw one, meaning they can't be champions despite it being in their hands. But United win both their games to get into the top 4 and qualify for CL.

Let me dream.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Wonder what shape teams will come back in. United & Spurs will have Rashford & Kane back right? Should be a good game to watch.
I think Spurs will also have Son back. 2 months ago a United win against Spurs was almost guarantied going into that fixture at the time. Now not so much.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's going down and will continue to, for now anyway. The irregularity of reporting times is what's making it appear to creep up.

Case numbers going down is more encouraging but again it's skewed to the varying test numbers and weirdly inconsistent way they're reported.

Still don't see a problem with athletes competing in a tested environment to be honest. In terms of the things going on every day that put people at risk, it's so far down the list it's just not a factor.

You can understand individual cases like Deeney though and I don't get why anyone would feel the need to give him abuse. If I had a young kid with breathing difficulties I'd have to be 100% sure the risk was 0% before I went back into training.

@stevoc

I completely get what you’re saying and it’s something that has been constant during the pandemic. Noods made a post in the main thread about the ridiculousness of if not being safe enough for healthy workers to deliver food to the elderly/vulnerable yet he could order a take away pizza and have it delivered to him in twenty mins. And it sums up this whole weird picking and choosing angle.

Why are fit and healthy low risk people not allowed to open up a dentist and help people in need? Yet JD sports can open up, yet Mcds can open up and have hundreds of delivery drivers stood on top of each other with no PPE. Hell even the testing for the PL, that requires a lot of staff. It all just goes back to the government just not having a clue what they’re doing, nor what to prioritise.
It's getting more odd by the day. I find it strange there's still debate about this when by the time they started playing, every shop will be open and most work places as well. If people think a football game between 22 people who've been tested isn''t safe then there really are more pressing things they should be making a much bigger fuss about.

My work are sending three guys who are over 60 out to do building site inspections, yet other people here aren't even allowed to go into work when no one else is there. Someone my age could go into 10,000,000 workplaces and still be less at risk than a 60+ year old who visits 1 building site.

I just don't get how a football game even registers one way or the other when we can't even do basic things to protect the most at risk people.

SharpshooterTom

I don't understand people who say they've "missed football" and were "desperate to bring it back".

It was gone 3 months whilst thousands were dying. 3 months is length of time we normally have inbetween seasons anyway, some of you were acting like it was gone 3 years.

Ludens the Red

Not necessarily. First of all, over the last few years numerous players have dropped dead on pitches such as Foe, or near dead like that lad at Bolton, never mind the cases in other countries.

secondly, despite heart tracing etc, you can go your whole life with very specific heart issues undetected. Not every test picks up everything. For example, I had tracing, echos, treadmill tests, blood tests etc and was discharged from hospital. Only when I dropped at home did I get a full cardiac MRI to discover major issues.
Hmmm, you’ve got a very worse case scenario bleak outlook on things. This latest one is maybe a bit wish washy.

For arguments sake, say Rashford DID have an undiagnosed heart condition. He would have had that before the coronavirus and so would have essentially been at risk in all of his 200+ appearances for United and England and how ever many training sessions where his heart would have gone through strenuous activity.

When you factor in those odds and then compare them with getting the coronavirus when he steps back on the pitch to every other activity he’d be doing in his life going forward, the football on the pitch represents the lowest chance at contracting the virus. He’s still going to go shopping, he’s still going to meet his family and if he’s Kyle Walker he’s still going to have sex parties with ‘ladies of the night’.

And with regards to your screening compared to there’s. It’s a whole other world, how regularly were you screened? Were you screened after activity? Due to the high profile deaths you mentioned things have changed massively in terms of footballers and being screened for heart defects. Not saying they’ll catch them all but the difference in odds of yours being caught to theirs is huge.

You appear to be looking for a world of less than 0% risk.

Sigma

I don't understand people who say they've "missed football" and were "desperate to bring it back".

It was gone 3 months whilst thousands were dying. 3 months is length of time we normally have inbetween seasons anyway, some of you were acting like it was gone 3 years.
A lot of the population have nothing to do and bored out of their minds at the moment.

Judas

Open to offers

By that logic you can't say at the start of a new season ever that you've missed football because "3 months is length of time we normally have inbetween seasons anyway"? Have you never missed football then?

always_hoping

First league title for 30 years and that trophy will be lifted in an empty stadium without a parade afterwards however better than a null and void season that many Liverpool supporters feared about I suppose...

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Those people have died but i'm not sure what football has to do with it? We can be happy that it's returning in a sensible and safe manner.

With zero crowds, testing regularly I really don't see the issue. This is how the world is going to be for a few years so you just have to get on with it.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
This is terrific news but I can't help feel some of the players are going to feel very uncomfortable indeed.

There is every chance they will not be able to get their hairstyles back in place before the first match.

diarm

Ideal situation:

Football comes back for 2 games until a handful of players catch mild cases that mean the season needs to be abandoned altogether.

In that time, Liverpool win one and draw one, meaning they can't be champions despite it being in their hands. But United win both their games to get into the top 4 and qualify for CL.

Let me dream.
Ideal situation is that Liverpool come back and lose 2 or 3 games in a row before it's called off again. Then the rest of us can cast proper doubt on their title credentials.

SharpshooterTom

Those people have died but i'm not sure what football has to do with it? We can be happy that it's returning in a sensible and safe manner.

With zero crowds, testing regularly I really don't see the issue. This is how the world is going to be for a few years so you just have to get on with it.
I don't mind it being brought back but just the sheer desperation from some people for it only having gone a few months is just a tad hysterical.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Hmmm, you’ve got a very worse case scenario bleak outlook on things. This latest one is maybe a bit wish washy.

For arguments sake, say Rashford DID have an undiagnosed heart condition. He would have had that before the coronavirus and so would have essentially been at risk in all of his 200+ appearances for United and England and how ever many training sessions where his heart would have gone through strenuous activity.

When you factor in those odds and then compare them with getting the coronavirus when he steps back on the pitch to every other activity he’d be doing in his life going forward, the football on the pitch represents the lowest chance at contracting the virus. He’s still going to go shopping, he’s still going to meet his family and if he’s Kyle Walker he’s still going to have sex parties with ‘ladies of the night’.

And with regards to your screening compared to there’s. It’s a whole other world, how regularly were you screened? Were you screened after activity? Due to the high profile deaths you mentioned things have changed massively in terms of footballers and being screened for heart defects. Not saying they’ll catch them all but the difference in odds of yours being caught to theirs is huge.

You appear to be looking for a world of less than 0% risk.
[dumb and dumber mode] so you’re saying that there’s a chance?[/mode off]

yes I would bloody well hope that checks are more thorough but as Blind recently demonstrated it can still go undetected.

I was screened every 6 months btw. It was only on this very expensive, very specific piece of kit that my full issues showed up.

but hey, it’s going ahead and i know it’s a slight risk. I just think it’s an unnecessary risk for the wrong reasons

pseudo_canadian

Agreed. We can also be adults about all of this by being honest with ourselves about death. Thousands of people die every day from all sorts of causes. Every life lost to COVID is tragic, but so are the even larger number of lives affected by loss of livelihood, suicides, missed cancer diagnoses, increased domestic violence, and so on. The world cannot continue to be driven by fear. I applaud the Prem and other sports leagues moving forward by doing their part in getting life back to normal.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agreed. We can also be adults about all of this by being honest with ourselves about death. Thousands of people die every day from all sorts of causes. Every life lost to COVID is tragic, but so are the even larger number of lives affected by loss of livelihood, suicides, missed cancer diagnoses, increased domestic violence, and so on. The world cannot continue to be driven by fear. I applaud the Prem and other sports leagues moving forward by doing their part in getting life back to normal.
Yep. Top flight footballers exist in their own little bubble anyway.

Them returning to playing is literally no more dangerous than going to tesco's for your weekend shop. If anything they'll be safer to the general public as they're getting tested regularly, so if they did catch anything they'd know way faster than the average public.

I get for some people it's a bit of a raw subject but for many people they've been at work all through this crisis. I've been back at work for a month now and many other businesses are returning back to normal too.

As long as proper precautions are being taken it'll be fine.

The UK has been pursuing money over lives for the duration. No surprise they've forced this through, rushing ahead of other countries who are in a far better position.

PoTMS

According to the Athletic, Premier League clubs are arranging mid season friendlies against one another before the season fully resumes.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
It'll be soulless and players not fit properly, but may as well get on with playing. The virus risk to footballers should be pretty much zero. Only really interesting thing about will how crowds effect home advantage or not. Looks like quite a big difference from the numbers in the bundesliga so far.

Hopefully won't have to wait too long before proper matches with fans start again.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Get in. Can't wait. Hopefully no injuries or players picking anything up... excited to see Pogba, Bruno, Rashford and Martial all together finally.

stevoc

@stevoc

Exactly mate and thats been the point of my ranting and grumpiness in here today (i'm having a particularly bad day with dental pain).

The Tories don't have a fecking clue what they're doing and the Dentists still being closed after going on 3 months says everything. I can't wrap my head around how they're not classified as an essential service. If anyone had suggested before 6 months ago that we should shut down all the Dentists for 3 months and leave people to fend for themselves but keep Opticians and fecking Screwfix open they'd have been laughed at. I have no problem with football returning but it has pissed me off that the Government have time to encourage and ok the return of football yet seemingly don't give a feck about dentistry.

Bar 2 weeks i decided to take off i've been able to work pretty much non stop during the lockdown and i wouldn't classify my work as essential beyond maybe emergency call outs (i'm an Electrician). Yet trained medical professionals who are well versed in wearing the appropriate PPE have been left high and dry with no support or guidance from the government as to when they can re-open. Which in turn has left probably tens of thousands of people in pain and discomfort, and resorting to diy dentistry like this guy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-52321910

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
If anything, the dependency for football has gone down - like with everything else that’s suddenly not possible to obtain. Not really keen on it to start at all, it’s going to be a Liverpool wankathon in all newspapers. Looking forward to the new season, this one has been a disaster from start to finish.
:jizz:
What could possibly have been worse than Liverpool winning the league by March and getting it out of the way quickly? Liverpool winning the league by July, with slow and steady stream of adoration. :D

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
How many of those businesses do you think will be open in the UK before the Premier League returns?

Theres a good chance that football will be back before dentists even reopen here which to me is insane. I've been living with dental pain for going on 9 weeks now without even the help of pain relief offered by my dentist. Lots of regular dental procedures will have by now degenerated into more serious problems, routine screening hasn't been carried out for going on 3 months and serious health issues like cancer will not be diagnosed. Yet the return of top flight football is deemed a higher priority by the Tory party. Their priorities seem to be messed up here.

If the PL returning was part of a grander scheme to help out lower league clubs then i could understand and that would be great, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
As far as I know (speaking to a couple of my NHS dentist clients), urgent dental care has been available throughout. Have you tried getting it?

Dentists are still getting their monthly NHS credits (or the majority of it based on UDA performance) on the proviso they don't furlough staff and (for some), put their names on a rota to cover anything that can't/shouldn't wait.

FireballXL5

Great, if you squint you might be able to convince yourself you're watching a competitive game of football.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
All of you owe me an apology. I told you football would be back. Now it's coming back just like I predicted, BCD before July.

Okay you do make some good points here. I get all of that, I still believe we have lots of time to figure this out and come out with contingency plans for a Late June to Early July start date.

Also death rate did go up but the cases dropped. In the long term it's all about the cases that will matter.

There is no reason to call names on this board because someone has a different opinion than you. I strongly believe the league won't get voided/cancelled. If you choose to be all doom and gloom and hope the league gets scrapped please do not use that against me and call me names.
Called it. While you doom and gloomers look foolish now.

Your obsession with this is truly something else
Well my obsession proved right.

Stop building fecking strawmen, noone has said it can't or definitely won't. you know why? well noone has a clue. It is you that consistently points to irrelevant points, takes articles out of context and uses shit sources to support your point of view.
Looks like I had a clue in the end, eh? my shit sources and taking out of context proved right. You were wrong and now look foolish. I thought the world was supposed to be ending??

UK projected peak is supposed to be April 17th - @ 1,674 deaths according to the IHME

The overall deaths projected have gone down significantly down to 37k until August 4th, 2020.

I believe everything is getting better and that curve will continue to flatten, we will get back to football being played as long as we are on this positive trajectory, we should have BCD action before July.
Nailed it

Are you on drugs or what ? You keep spouting this shit about us being on a downward trend yet I can't see that at the moment. It is always In this thread as well so you are either a Liverpool fan longing for the season to restart or you are some sort of lunatic.
Nope. You were wrong. The world is not ending. I told you football would be back and it is coming back. You now look foolish.

As someone who has been passive following this thread for quite a while, Ronaldo's Mum's posts are extremely strange. I've not even seen that sort of desperation for the league to restart from the Liverpool fans as he/she shows. I've long accepted Liverpool will win the title and I don't care either way if the season is voided or cancelled and current positions declared final but the total lack of empathy that fellow has shown is staggering. Even as someone not from any of the 4 countries so badly affected, it's horrifying to read on a daily basis of all the deaths and yet you've got people who can just be so callous about it. It's really sad to read.
Okay but in the end I was right.

You're assuming he thinks his posts through. Big mistake.
I thought it through. Look who looks foolish now. Told you football would be back.

@Pexbo looks like you lost the bet!

Last edited:

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
By the time the 17 June comes around a second wave will be well on the way.

Still by then I don't think the Tories and the PL owners will care.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I do yes. Non essential things opening with the government pushing for the Premier League to restart and yet little or no mention of when essential sectors like dentists are re-opening. As i said the Gvoernments priorities here are messed up.
And 40,000 persons are now dead.

Wonder what shape teams will come back in. United & Spurs will have Rashford & Kane back right? Should be a good game to watch.
He's being nice to us - Oh he's soooooo nice! :lol:

:jizz:
What could possibly have been worse than Liverpool winning the league by March and getting it out of the way quickly? Liverpool winning the league by July, with slow and steady stream of adoration. :D
And the Dumb Star is showing his true colours.
Poor chap it's been a hard 30 years of crying and a lot of scouse teenage years completely demolished. :D