Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
I wish I was that young. :( But yes it's been a hard non-teenage 30 years of crying and being demolished. Tonight Matthew I will be Dominic Cumming. Over and over again. :)
Do take care Dominic and do look after your health since you're not that young.
Over and over again will leave you like Samson after Delilah cut his hair. :lol:

alexthelion

The UK has been pursuing money over lives for the duration. No surprise they've forced this through, rushing ahead of other countries who are in a far better position.
How? :rolleyes:

They've pumped billions into the economy to help furloughed staff and for companies.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Banned for having a dissenting opinion? And for an opinion which reflects reality?
If you honestly believe the reality of the situation is "not that bad", you need to get your head checked. The only reason we've managed to prevent a much more significant death toll is because of the lockdown measures. Depending on where you are, it might well be too early to lift the restrictions.

pseudo_canadian

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm simply responding to his assertion that the virus wasn't that bad. Which given the public data and information now, seems to be the case.
It shut the whole world down for months, affected millions and even the properly recorded deaths are in the multiple hundred of thousands, let alone the actual count.

Sounds pretty bad by most standards.

stevoc

Top flight football has only been green-lighted by the government, not pushed for as you seem to be implying.

I know people like to blame the Tories for everything but in this case it's just not true.
Of course they weren't.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...s-government-backs-return-as-soon-as-possible

And just in case you don't believe anything written in the Guardian, this source might be more to your liking.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/s...ue-urged-government-step-planning-return.html

By the way the Tories are Thundercunts mate ;)

TheReligion

Abusive
So if United end up winning all 9 and finishing 3rd it won't count?
Let's be honest the rest of 'the season' is a farce. Home and away advantage has gone, form out of the window and clubs battling to keep hold of players they had on loan or who are now out of contract. None of the teams will be at match fitness and it's just an exercise to tick a box that the season was finished.

Surely you don't disagree?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If you honestly believe the reality of the situation is "not that bad", you need to get your head checked. The only reason we've managed to prevent a much more significant death toll is because of the lockdown measures. Depending on where you are, it might well be too early to lift the restrictions.
Amazing isn't it. Not that bad! I for one do not look forward to something bad happening then.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
For the first time, since the end of the 4 tiered Football League in 1992, LIVE and Free-To-Air top flight football will be back on The BBC!

4 of the remaining 92 fixtures, will shown on The Beeb
So, if it's 1992, the Beeb NEVER managed to show us lifting the thirteen (13) PL Trophies?!

stevoc

You keep going on and on about dentists but round here they are re-opening 1 June, so obviously someone (the government?) has talked to them and given them the go ahead to open.
Well mine aren't opening on June 1st, and as far as i know neither are any other practices in Northern Ireland opening on June 1st.

Do you have a link saying that any dentists are re-opening on June 1st?

BBC says they can open in England on June 8th. So where do you live that they are opening a week earlier?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52838072

pseudo_canadian

It shut the whole world down for months, affected millions and even the properly recorded deaths are in the multiple hundred of thousands, let alone the actual count.

Sounds pretty bad by most standards.
The virus itself wasn't bad. It was the subsequent panic and overreaction that was the problem.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
So if United end up winning all 9 and finishing 3rd it won't count?
I can't see how there will be European football as things stand unless they cancel the Euros again or abandon the group stages.

Or maybe just not bother with the qualifying rounds and let teams in via rankings.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
I'm sorry but I don't need to read any links you post to tell you with absolute certainty that the lockdowns did not cause more harm than good. Were it not for these restrictions, the number of people succumbing could easily have been 10 times higher, and I say this from the perspective of a front line healthcare worker who spent the last 2 months treating patients in one of the worst affected regions worldwide.

alexthelion

Where are you? As the gov announced 8th June today I believe.
Basingstoke.

I've got an appointment on 4 june and my son on 9 June. No problem booking at all.

They've been open during the 'lockdown' for emergency work as well, so the receptionist said.

pseudo_canadian

I'm sorry but I don't need to read any links you post to tell you with absolute certainty that the lockdowns did not cause more harm than good. Were it not for these restrictions, the number of people succumbing could easily have been 10 times higher, and I say this from the perspective of a front line healthcare worker who spent the last 2 months treating patients in one of the worst affected regions worldwide.
If you're not willing to even read the abundant evidence showing how destructive and pointless the lockdown was, then there's no point discussing it with you.

pseudo_canadian

It was in Italy. Did you not see the news reports?

No health system in the world could have coped without lockdown.
"Italy’s alarming number of deaths fanned many of the early fears across the world, but by March 17 it was clear that the median age of Italian deaths was over 80 and that not a single person under 30 had died in that country. Furthermore, it was known that 99% of those who died had other existing illnesses"

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The virus itself wasn't bad.
Basingstoke.

I've got an appointment on 4 june and my son on 9 June. No problem booking at all.

They've been open during the 'lockdown' for emergency work as well, so the receptionist said.
Emergency stuff has been available. I got in just before lockdown but was told anything classifying as routine was off the cards.

Would be surprised if any dentists were doing fillings and suchlike the last month. They shouldn't have been!

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
If you're not willing to even read the abundant evidence showing how destructive and pointless the lockdown was, then there's no point discussing it with you.
I get all the relevant information and evidence from epidemiologists and actual doctors who know what they're talking about. And I can assure you every single one of them would concur that the lockdown was an absolute must. How you're even trying to debate that is beyond comprehension.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That's just blatantly false. Be prepared for people to call you out if you're going to spread misinformation.
Probably one of those guys on the news having lockdown protests or still arguing flu is as bad.

Just have to leave it mate. Can't argue with some people.

Pagh Wraith

Surely not 9 friendly matches per team? When are they going to play those? Bundesliga teams had zero friendlies before restarting the league.

pseudo_canadian

I get all the relevant information and evidence from epidemiologists and actual doctors who know what they're talking about. And I can assure you every single one of them would concur that the lockdown was an absolute must. How you're even trying to debate that is beyond comprehension.
Sure, and ignore the countless doctors and epidemiologists arguing the exact opposite. But they're opinion isn't valid, right? Since it goes against the doom and gloom narrative.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
"Italy’s alarming number of deaths fanned many of the early fears across the world, but by March 17 it was clear that the median age of Italian deaths was over 80 and that not a single person under 30 had died in that country. Furthermore, it was known that 99% of those who died had other existing illnesses"
You're posting information from articles that were published before the pandemic peaked in Italy, so obviously those numbers do not represent the whole truth. How about you post the most recent numbers?

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Probably one of those guys on the news having lockdown protests or still arguing flu is as bad.

Just have to leave it mate. Can't argue with some people.
I usually wouldn't engage over such topics as it is detrimental for my mental health and IQ, but I just can't help myself today.

stevoc

Google the source he provided Real Clear Politics and you'll see where he's getting that idea.

RealClearPolitics Owner RealClear Media Runs Popular Far-Right Facebook Page
The Facebook page nods to right-wing conspiracy theories and features an abundance of pro-Trump messaging.
https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/en...hKY1-YhgiTbLsHiTLsCjLBtYw7Yk2ZSU8WMYQCMT5-rPL

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Millions of people in the UK have an existing illness.

More than 6 million people in England have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or asthma.
There are around 7.4 million people living with heart and circulatory disease in the UK: 3.9 million men and 3.5 million women. Coronary heart disease (CHD) is the most common type of heart and circulatory disease.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Sure, and ignore the countless doctors and epidemiologists arguing the exact opposite. But they're opinion isn't valid, right? Since it goes against the doom and gloom narrative.
Show me data from any of the badly affected regions in the world where doctors/epidemiologists have said that the lockdown has not helped mitigate the overall number of cases and prevented the number of deaths from being much higher. Go on, I dare you. I'm actually doing research on the epidemiology of the virus these days, just so you know, might take any "evidence" you find to show my colleagues so they can have a good laugh during this distressing period.

fps

I don't understand people who say they've "missed football" and were "desperate to bring it back".

It was gone 3 months whilst thousands were dying. 3 months is length of time we normally have inbetween seasons anyway, some of you were acting like it was gone 3 years.
I’ve found some of the comments a bit sad tbh.