Could they void the PL due to the Coronavirus? | No | Resuming June 17th

Lee565

With the 5 subs things in place I can imagine Mourinho will be abusing it like crazy to destroy any momentum in games and will probably see him even more wilfully to embarrass players by either taking off a sub he had already sent in the pitch or hooking a player within 30 minutes if a match.

RedDevil@84

Premier League teams will be able to make five substitutions, rather than three, in each match to the end of the season after clubs approved new rules.

Teams will also be able to name nine substitutes instead of the usual seven.

Football's international law-makers gave competitions the option of increasing substitutes to compensate for the short preparation time before football's resumption.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52914350

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Now to change it into 35 min halves and maintain the integrity of the game
Not sure of the hostility here. The PL are trying to do what they can to prevent unnecessary injuries to clubs. I know you probably know already but just in case, we are in the middle of a pandemic.

I know you're going to follow up with null and void it then. But how many times can you shake your rattle and wail that out while your mummy and daddy say that is not going to happen, son?

Judas

Open to offers
Great news for the big clubs, laughably unfair to the rest. I get its a fitness thing, but it really does swing things even further into the favour of the rich teams.

TheReligion

Abusive
Premier League teams will be able to make five substitutions, rather than three, in each match to the end of the season after clubs approved new rules.

Teams will also be able to name nine substitutes instead of the usual seven.

Football's international law-makers gave competitions the option of increasing substitutes to compensate for the short preparation time before football's resumption.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52914350
Sensible to do but I'm not sure how anyone can claim this season is still credible. It's quite obvious it isn't given;

* Teams playing behind closed doors and as such losing fan advantage.

* Certain teams being made to play at neutral venues with others allowed to play at their own stadiums.

* More substitutions and rule changes taking place.

The season is now very different to how it started and as such is a bit of a sham. Not sure how anyone can say otherwise and this alone is why there will always be a footnote in the record books.

Paul_Scholes18

Sensible to do but I'm not sure how anyone can claim this season is still credible. It's quite obvious it isn't given;

* Teams playing behind closed doors and as such losing fan advantage.

* Certain teams being made to play at neutral venues with others allowed to play at their own stadiums.

* More substitutions and rule changes taking place.

The season is now very different to how it started and as such is a bit of a sham. Not sure how anyone can say otherwise and this alone is why there will always be a footnote in the record books.
Should just play for Europe and relegation and make the title null and void. We have to get teams into europe and relegate sides, but no need to give away the title.

RedDevil@84

Not sure of the hostility here. The PL are trying to do what they can to prevent unnecessary injuries to clubs. I know you probably know already but just in case, we are in the middle of a pandemic.
5 subs a game just tilts the games in favour of the big clubs, who have multiple quality players sitting on bench. I am not sure it goes along with "maintaining the integrity". For me it looks like trying to somehow get the season going by hook or crook.

I know you're going to follow up with null and void it then. But how many times can you shake your rattle and wail that out while your mummy and daddy say that is not going to happen, son?
Yeah!! It is all about stopping Pool from winning the league. Given that the earth revolves around Anfield.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Most squads really aren't that good outside of Liverpool and Man. City. Chelsea have lots more youth this season for obvious reasons so plenty of inexperienced players on their bench along with Pedro and Batshuyai.

Arsenal have been putting out some of their poorest 11s since the mid 90s this season and that's reflected in their results for most of the season and 5 subs will just mean likes of Pereria, Lingard and Phil Jones will all get decent minutes in the run in. First two played in many poor Man. United results up to February this season.

Premier league will just say you're criticising us for a rule change that pretty much every other major league in europe is also implementing.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
What an absolute joke of a season this is going to be remembered as. Asterisk indeed. Change all the rules just to get Liverpool over the line.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Changing from 3 to 5 subs in the same season undermines the competition. How many could have been different had teams been able to use 2 extra subs?

If you're going to change the rules of the game like this then wait until next season.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Changing from 3 to 5 subs in the same season undermines the competition. How many could have been different had teams been able to use 2 extra subs?

If you're going to change the rules of the game like this then wait until next season.
Yeah I agree. I think they've done it for health reasons maybe but if not then it's bizarre. Who does it actually benefit though? Some squads have subs they never call on. Klopp doesn't make a sub before the 70th minute unless he's forced into it.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
5 subs a game just tilts the games in favour of the big clubs, who have multiple quality players sitting on bench. I am not sure it goes along with "maintaining the integrity". For me it looks like trying to somehow get the season going by hook or crook.

Yeah!! It is all about stopping Pool from winning the league. Given that the earth revolves around Anfield.
Fair enough, I can understand the advantage. But the majority of teams in the PL are being asked to fulfill this season's obligations, i.e. the mid-table teams. Even the two clubs with the best squad in the PL have little to play for: Liverpool and City. So clubs that face us would rather see Aguero, Salah, Mane, VvD, De Bruyn, Sterling, Silva x 2, etc, literally all go off in the second half of games.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Yeah I agree. I think they've done it for health reasons maybe but if not then it's bizarre. Who does it actually benefit though? Some squads have subs they never call on. Klopp doesn't make a sub before the 70th minute unless he's forced into it.
It will benefit very few teams, if not no one. The only instances in which it will be used is when a team is up/down multiple goals and decides to give their most important players an extended rest with an eye on the next game. No manager in their right mind will use 5 subs within half an hour or so in a close game since it's too disruptive.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It would benefit teams who: have a large squad, play an intense high energy game and teams who want to run the clock down and interrupt the flow of the game.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
This is only for this covid period right? To prevent injuries, etc? Will any carryover into the new season require new statutes?
Obviously not.

Somehow I'm not surprised by the usual suspects moaning about every single decision taken in order to resume the league. The PL could decide today to give underprivileged kids free food and accommodations, and some people will still somehow find reasons to moan about that if it pertains to helping get the season to resume.

The league is resuming, some people should just accept it and get over it. The constant need to find faults and things about the league's decisions to whine about has gotten tedious now.

Last edited:

90 + 5min

But they still go ahead with playing. Little bit akward changing everything except doing the right thing.

fps

What? Why? For goodness' sakes. I don't buy this at all - they are saying more players will definitely be injured? If they're not saying that, why make this move? And there are going to be ten substitutions a game!?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What? Why? For goodness' sakes. I don't buy this at all - they are saying more players will definitely be injured? If they're not saying that, why make this move? And there are going to be ten substitutions a game!?
Yup, every 9 mins like clockwork

another benefit is that with the 10 game rule, if klopp plays this right he can get everyone in the squad a medal

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Worth bearing in mind that each team still only have 3 opportunities to make substitutions. It’s not like there is a potential for 10 interruptions due to subs, it’s still 6 max and that assumes both sides make all their subs at different times.

fps

Yup, every 9 mins like clockwork

another benefit is that with the 10 game rule, if klopp plays this right he can get everyone in the squad a medal
Fair's fair, we can bring on Lingard AND Pereira if we're struggling. Watch out Prem.

InterFan1998

Supports
Internazionale
What an absolute joke of a season this is going to be remembered as. Asterisk indeed. Change all the rules just to get Liverpool over the line.
Aren't the other leagues changing the same rules? I doubt the Italian FA changed the substitution rule with Liverpool in mind - why would they care about Liverpool?

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Just to follow you around a bit more: wrong again.

fps

Just to follow you around a bit more: wrong again.
I don't know you why you're following me around, or where else I was "wrong", but I'd love for you to be helpful and clarify rather than being snarky. If each team can make 5 subs then there can be 10 substitutions a game. OK, there won't necessarily be in every match, but there could be.